THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Memories (Pictures) From a Father/Son Hunt - SA 2001

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Memories (Pictures) From a Father/Son Hunt - SA 2001
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted
I was browsing back through some of the "old" pictures on my PC over the past rainy weekend, and came across these from 2001. They are of my first hunt to Africa, which I was fortunate enough to share with my youngest son, Brett, who was just 11 at the time. We hunted a neat photographic property in KwaZulu-Natal for 6 days (where I shot my 29" Nyala), then drove west to the Orange Free State where we hunted the huge Tussen Die Riviere National Park. We also hunted some small private properties in the OFS, which was the last time I ever saw a barrier fence while hunting. Nor have I hunted SA since, although there are a few areas that I would like to someday.

I'll post just a few, and please forgive the quality as these were originally on film and I scanned them some time ago.

People always say things like "I hope they know how lucky they are" and "One day they will appreciate what you have done for them"...and this is true and valid - but I just can't help but to feel a bit guilty when I hear this as in reality, I think it is I that should be thanking them for the time.

Brett & Blue Wildebeest from KwaZulu-Natal:

Common Springbok from the Tussen Die Riviere National Park (Orange Free State):

Black Wildebeest w/PH (also from Tussen Die Riviere):

Nyala from KwaZulu-Natal

Kudu from the Tussen Die Riviere

Gemsbok Bull

Here is an article that our local paper did on the hunt. Details are mostly correct and the reporter took a few liberties, but it generated a lot of positive feedback and helped encourage quite a few fathers who I knew at the time to take their kids out fishing, hunting, camping, etc.

Bill

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Looks like great memories.

Kyler

Posts: 2504 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Hey Bill, you have got to be an old grey haired guy like me... animal

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had the pleasure and good fortune to hunt with my wife on one safari and my son on another. Two of my best hunts ever.
Thanks for the post...brought back good memories.

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the memories (where have I heard that before?).

Seriously, thanks for the great post.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MAU MAU
posted Hide Post
You are a lucky dad Bill with a great perspective on life. I wish you and your sons many more memorable hunts in the future. Speaking of the future, is there a Sheep Hunt Report in our future?

Posts: 227 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 01 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Nice, Bill, very nice. If only more youngsters would or could appreciate our hunting heritage.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13379 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote