Find
Notify
Tools

Stars In The Sky-Steven Rinella
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted
I know that many of you like to watch Steve Rinella (MeatEater). I watched a documentary on hunting last night called "Stars In The Sky" on Netflix, produced by Steve Rinella. It addresses the conundrum between hunting and anti-hunting, meat eaters and vegans, etc. It is one of the best documentaries I've seen and would be something that you could show your non-hunting friends. Take a look at it. It's well worth your time, if you have not seen it. It is applicable to all hunters worldwide, although focused primarily here in America. Moderators may wish to move it to another forum, but I think that it is applicable here on AR's flagship forum, since we are all fighting anti-hunting, anti-trophy, anti-killing, anti-sport hunting, and anti-meat eating sentiments across all national boundaries around the world.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I did watch that and thought it was great.

I had watched a few “Meateater” episodes, but I did like the balanced approach on this one.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
I know that many of you like to watch Steve Rinella (MeatEater). I watched a documentary on hunting last night called "Stars In The Sky" on Netflix, produced by Steve Rinella. It addresses the conundrum between hunting and anti-hunting, meat eaters and vegans, etc. It is one of the best documentaries I've seen and would be something that you could show your non-hunting friends. Take a look at it. It's well worth your time, if you have not seen it. It is applicable to all hunters worldwide, although focused primarily here in America. Moderators may wish to move it to another forum, but I think that it is applicable here on AR's flagship forum, since we are all fighting anti-hunting, anti-trophy, anti-killing, anti-sport hunting, and anti-meat eating sentiments across all national boundaries around the world.

Thanks for the heads up. Interesting.

My biggest take away;

"The practice of bringing home the heads of Bears, in order to place their heads, in their home or lodge, so that the Bear would be able to observe the Hunter, and his family. The thinking being that the Bear would, in some mystical afterlife, would explain to other Bears, that if you're going to get killed by someone, this guy is a good choice, because he's an honorable man"

It somehow says to me that there is some "contract of mutual respect" between the Hunter and the Hunted.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3367 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thank you for the head and it was really interesting show.

Posts: 1729 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I'll watch it this weekend.

I like Rinella's shows.

When I was doing my wildlife management degree, his videos were featured in a lot of the class content.

Posts: 7767 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:
quote:

My biggest take away;

"The practice of bringing home the heads of Bears, in order to place their heads, in their home or lodge, so that the Bear would be able to observe the Hunter, and his family. The thinking being that the Bear would, in some mystical afterlife, would explain to other Bears, that if you're going to get killed by someone, this guy is a good choice, because he's an honorable man"

It somehow says to me that there is some "contract of mutual respect" between the Hunter and the Hunted.

Steve (rinella) is inaccurately representing this story, which is originally from Vilhjalhmur Steffanson. It’s actually closer to what you say, Steve. The idea is that there are certain things that animals need in their next lives that they cannot obtain themselves. Male Polar bears need tools, knives, bow drills, etc. female bears need scrapers, needles, etc. the hunter brings the bear skins home and hangs them with the physical tools they will need in the afterlife. While the bear is in the house he must be treated with respect as a guest would be. After a certain amount of time, the bear soul absorbs the Essences of the tools and is then driven out of the house with the souls of the tools he needs. If the tools are of good quality and are useable, he tells the other bears souls that here is a man who is reliable and provides good tools for us to use, so it’s Ok to be killed by this specific hunter.

The point is really symbiosis, not JUST because the hunter is a good guy, but because he has provided the animals what they need, and in turn, the animals will provide the hunters with what they need.

This type of thing can be extended to other things less mystical very easily, habitat, proper regulation of bag limits, etc.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:
quote:

My biggest take away;

Steve (rinella) is inaccurately representing this story, which is originally from Vilhjalhmur Steffanson. It’s actually closer to what you say, Steve. The idea is that there are certain things that animals need in their next lives that they cannot obtain themselves. Male Polar bears need tools, knives, bow drills, etc. female bears need scrapers, needles, etc. the hunter brings the bear skins home and hangs them with the physical tools they will need in the afterlife. While the bear is in the house he must be treated with respect as a guest would be. After a certain amount of time, the bear soul absorbs the Essences of the tools and is then driven out of the house with the souls of the tools he needs. If the tools are of good quality and are useable, he tells the other bears souls that here is a man who is reliable and provides good tools for us to use, so it’s Ok to be killed by this specific hunter.

The point is really symbiosis, not JUST because the hunter is a good guy, but because he has provided the animals what they need, and in turn, the animals will provide the hunters with what they need.

This type of thing can be extended to other things less mystical very easily, habitat, proper regulation of bag limits, etc.

Agree, it has much to do with how each individual processes and interprets that philosophy. My immediate reaction is that a hunter, to be "that good guy" must bring home the trophy or some portion of that trophy, for any of that to even apply.

I get beat up here over my belief that something is missing when a hunter goes afield and brings nothing home but pictures.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3367 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I watched it. I am pro Steve, but he and his team need some serious education on Conservation paid for by African sport hunting.

He loved to hunt Brown Bears, unsuccessfully, in his early seasons.

His first book that made him famous was hunting Bison. There are more wild elephants in Zimbabwe then Bison in the Lower 48.

We all know how hard populations of Mule Deer have decreased in the last couple of decades. Guess what Steve Rinella has said is his favorite Trophy Hunt-Big Mule Deer.

Somebody with the stroke needs to have a debate/conversation with him on his platforms on this issue.

Posts: 10755 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Africa is so far outside of the average “meateater” fan it’s not funny. He’s got his hands full with the media and e-commerce empire to take on Africa in any meaningful way.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Then do not speak of it from a position of ignorance.

Also, from both an anti hunter and hunter perspective that makes me hot is this notion that man is outside of nature or the earth.

Hunters say modern man is so modern we need to hunt, in part to get back to nature. Antis say hunting is no longer a natural act because we have meatless meat or industrial farming.

Guess what guess, we touch nature by just being here. Man’s activities from hunting elk with a bow to building a skyscraper is a natural act of man.

Humanity is natural. If the polar bears die out because we can adapt and shape a world that allows us to survive that is natural selection. No, I do not think Global Warming is killing off the Polar Bears.

The point I am trying to make here is we, humans, hunters and non hunters alike, should be more like the Owl in referenced in the Documentary. He does not justify and find his place in nature for his actions. His actions are nature.

Humanity is a strange beast. We evolved, if you believe the hard evolutionist, to have little body hair. Went to cold places, killed to put on hides/fur to keep warm and survive in that habitat, but never regrew hair. Other creatures would have moved out of the habitat, evolved to live in the habitat being doomed when conditions changed, or simply not have been able to adapt in the first place and died out.

Posts: 10755 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I watched it this morning, and since I had not seen it I watched Trophy this afternoon.

I feel as though Rinella is preaching to the choir. He has those on the video are very good.

Trophy may not set out to make a case for trophy hunting, and we are shown in a poor light in much of the film. But I believe the end result is that the anti's are shown in a horrible light for not wanting our version of conservation.

The texas sheep farmer and South African rhino farmer do a really good job along with the ecologist as painting us with a brighter future.

Posts: 7767 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
My wife and I watched this film last night. I think Rinella did a good job explaining hunting to a general audience. He didn’t cover all of the bases, but he did a good job, as far as he went.

A couple of my favorite parts were when his brother, the one who raises llamas to help him pack meat out after making a kill, said that he eats meat, and only from wild game animals that that he has hunted and killed.

But then he adds that he’s so much of a hunter, he would probably hunt cabbages if they had legs! I totally get that!

I also thought Rinella’s reflections on predators, including humans, were well expressed and true. At one point he asked, rhetorically, “Can you imagine asking a wolf not to hunt?” The unspoken answer is no, and the unspoken corollary is, “Then don’t ask me!”

He put it another way when he said, “Why do some people respect every predator but themselves?”

He strongly implies that it’s because they prefer to be “civilized” - insulated and distanced from nature, where they can live in comfort and ignore the violence needed to feed them. I think that is 100% true.

Thanks for the heads up, UEG. tu2

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13373 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really liked it. Like most of his stuff. Bought quite a few of his books as well. We need people who can speak to a broader audience. "Normal" hunting programs don`t do that. They mainly focus on the hunt and the kill. There`s so much more to it for most hunters.

Posts: 1089 | Location: Norway | Registered: 08 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a fan of SR and find his shows quantifiably better than most of the competitors, and worth watching for ever aspect. The last several shows had filming and editing that was first class and the stories were really well put together. I have to say that the Wild Skies show appears to have improved quite a bit with the new host. My only additional comment refers back to an earlier post about bears and mounted bear heads in regards to mutual respect. I am a strong believer in that although it is clearly a mythical construct, and I doubt that it is favored by most hunters. That said, I have to laugh at the idea of hunters generically having "respect for their kills" every time that I have to see a dead baboon mounted in some absurd position like a waiter or maid. That sh.t has to go.

Posts: 29 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 30 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by s goldsmith:
I am a fan of SR and find his shows quantifiably better than most of the competitors, and worth watching for ever aspect. The last several shows had filming and editing that was first class and the stories were really well put together. I have to say that the Wild Skies show appears to have improved quite a bit with the new host. My only additional comment refers back to an earlier post about bears and mounted bear heads in regards to mutual respect. I am a strong believer in that although it is clearly a mythical construct, and I doubt that it is favored by most hunters. That said, I have to laugh at the idea of hunters generically having "respect for their kills" every time that I have to see a dead baboon mounted in some absurd position like a waiter or maid. That sh.t has to go.

This ^^^^^^^^^

Formerly "Nganga"

posted Hide Post
I am generally a fan of the Meat Eater show. The photography is excellent. At some points he gets a bit preachy which places him outside the realm of the average hunter in the US. For example after wounding but not killing an elk with a bow he voluntarily ends the hunt. Fine for him who gets to hunt all over North America but what about Joe Six Pack? He saved his hard earned dollars for several years in order to go on an elk hunt. Should he stop hunting and go home if he draws blood?

Posts: 9 | Location: Milwaukee WI | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Diamond jim:
I am generally a fan of the Meat Eater show. The photography is excellent. At some points he gets a bit preachy which places him outside the realm of the average hunter in the US. For example after wounding but not killing an elk with a bow he voluntarily ends the hunt. Fine for him who gets to hunt all over North America but what about Joe Six Pack? He saved his hard earned dollars for several years in order to go on an elk hunt. Should he stop hunting and go home if he draws blood?

Yes he should, he has a permit for 1 elk, not two.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
quote:
Originally posted by Diamond jim:

Yes he should, he has a permit for 1 elk, not two.

+1

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
He did that on the muzzleloader elk hunt in Colorado snd punched the tag. He found the elk in Wa he made a bad shot on.

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I thought the film was put together well and told the story of hunting in an appealing manner. It's just too bad we can't be more non-hunters (and even anti-hunters) to watch something that will challenge them like that film likely would.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been meaning to watch this. Thanks for the reminder. He makes some good points in there. My favorite thing about the whole film is it is specifically aimed at folks that don't hunt. That's who we need to be spending our outreach efforts on, not preaching to the choir.

Posts: 103 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 January 2021Reply With Quote