Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PH Critically Injured by Gemsbok
 Login/Join

posted
On June 5th 32 year old South African PH Marco Schoonwinkel was critically injured by a gemsbok during a game capture and relocation project. He was gored in the intestines and suffered injury to his spinal column. He is in intensive care in a Pretoria hospital. He has a wife who is expecting and a young child.

Last week the DSC Frontline Foundation make a grant to the Schoonwinkel family to cover living expenses while Marco is hospitalized and unable to return to work as it appears he will miss the entire 2021 safari season. We are hopeful that Marco will make a full recovery but it is apparent he has a long road ahead. If you would like to make a directed donation to provide financial assistance to this young PH and his family, please go to the DSC Frontline Foundation website for a link to make your donation. Thanks in advance for your support for the Schoonwinkel family.

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Every one of your posts since you joined AR deal with soliciting funds on behalf of someone else. Perhaps I'm an overly suspicious type, but I'm curious about your motivation.

While I applaud those who step up to help in any way others struck down or are suffering, all of those who did so here also participate in many other conversations and topics. That cannot be said of you, it would appear. Your profile is essentially anonymous.

Who exactly do you represent and for what gain?

PH Critically Injured by Gemsbok (in African Big Game Hunting) by john patterson
On June 5th 32 year old South African PH Marco Schoonwinkel was critically injured by a gemsbok duri......

Accuratereloading.com > The Accurate Reloading Forums > THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS > African Big Game Hunting
17 June 2021 20:53

Discussion Topic DSC Frontline Foundation Update (in African Big Game Hunting) by john patterson

Several months have passed since my last post which provided an update on assistance to the Smythe f......

Accuratereloading.com > The Accurate Reloading Forums > THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS > African Big Game Hunting
13 May 2021 00:06

Discussion Topic DSC Frontline Foundation Update (in African Big Game Hunting) by john patterson

Several months have passed since my last post which provided an update on assistance to the Smythe f......

13 May 2021 00:06

Discussion Topic Phillip Smythe Fundraising Update (in African Big Game Hunting) by john patterson

Dear AR members, We wanted to provide you with an update on the DSC Frontline Foundation support fo......

12 January 2021 04:33

Discussion Topic RE: Phillip Smythe Fundraising Update (in African Big Game Hunting) by john patterson

I want to thank all AR members who made a directed donation through the DSC Frontline Foundation for......

22 January 2021 00:11

Discussion Topic Phillip Smythe Fundraising Update (in African Big Game Hunting) by john patterson

Dear AR members, We wanted to provide you with an update on the DSC Frontline Foundation support fo......

12 January 2021 04:33

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
He represents the DSC Frontline Foundation and your suspicions are totally unfounded.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13140 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup. This is 100% legit. This is a real, functioning, legitimate foundation.

I spoke with John several times during the Phillip Smythe efforts. They have made grants several times to the families of killed or injured PHs. They gave to Phillip Smythe's family for example.

I can understand the concern but there is nothing to worry about here.

Posts: 11955 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kamo Gari:
Every one of your posts since you joined AR deal with soliciting funds on behalf of someone else. Perhaps I'm an overly suspicious type, but I'm curious about your motivation.

While I applaud those who step up to help in any way others struck down or are suffering, all of those who did so here also participate in many other conversations and topics. That cannot be said of you, it would appear. Your profile is essentially anonymous.

Who exactly do you represent and for what gain?

The DSC Frontline Foundation is 100% legitimate, John Patterson is the third President of this foundation and is one of the finest men you ever could hope to meet. I was the second President, and was for several years and was involved from the from the formation of the foundation and I can tell you the only gain I, and John realized is knowing you helped another “Hunter” work thru their worst nightmare. The foundation was formed to provide financial assistance where there is a real need and has done just that. I don’t know the exact amount but the Frontline has provided many, many dollars to outfitter and other hunting related families in their time of need. Frontline has paid for deceased PH’s children’s education, has paid for finishing a house for a trackers family after he was killed while hunting, paid for several other injured Ph’s, guides, trackers hospital bills and this was not only in Africa. I still have dozens of photos of horrible injuries and torn bodies on my computer that were sent to back up grant requests and still receive updates from a couple of the families that Frontline assisted after they tragically lost a loved one.
Also, the Frontline would not have been able to assist those that have received grants but for the generosity of others, most notably three AR members, I won’t mention names but they know who they are and I’m sure they are satisfied with how Frontline operates.
Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to make clear that the Frontline and John P are the real deal. You could make a donation thru the Frontline website if you feel like helping,

Karl Evans

Posts: 2743 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Fair question and reassuring answers.

As our old friend, but nowadays infrequent poster, ForrestB, once said, “The oryx is the Rasputin of game animals.”

It’s not truly dead until it’s 10 times deader than dead.

Awful thing in this case. I will contribute.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I thought mentioning the Foundation would have removed any doubts.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66927 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
Fair question and reassuring answers.

As our old friend, but nowadays infrequent poster, ForrestB, once said, “The oryx is the Rasputin of game animals.”

It’s not truly dead until it’s 10 times deader than dead.

Awful thing in this case. I will contribute.

True. My kids both shot gemsbok at the same time. Went to retrieve the first . He was still breathing. Trackers pushed a machete through the lungs and moved it around to cut up the lungs badly. Came back to it after retrieving the second one. It was still breathing . Could not believe it.

I need to contribute as well.

Posts: 11955 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
All animals are dangerous.
Especially the oryx family.

We have to be very careful with them here at my place.

Sometimes they get annoyed and chase people. Putting their horns through the fence!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66927 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I just received this from Motsomi Safars:

"This was the message we posted to all our Motsomi Friends/Family:

Marco was stabbed by a gemsbuck in the gut and got hurt badly yesterday (6 June 2021), he was airlifted from the incident and again to a bigger hospital. He had several major surgeries since yesterday trying to stop the internal bleeding from the main artery to his left leg as well as to fix internal injuries. We will keep you all posted but ask you to please keep him and Clarissa in your prayers."

Update on Marco:

Marco had his fourth surgery in 10days yesterday trying to fix holes in his intestines, his condition is still critical. He also had internal bleeding due to the horn rupturing his aorta going to his left leg. The current challenge is to get the septicemia under control and to get him of the ventilator.

We praise God for holding Marco in the palm of His hand. Please keep Marco and his family in your daily prayers for its still a very long road to recovery!"

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2292 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Donation Sent ...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1571 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Frontline Foundation may be the best thing that DSC has done. Gives me pride to be a DSC life member. Hopefully Marco can make it through this ordeal and return to the profession.

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 376 steyr:
The Frontline Foundation may be the best thing that DSC has done. Gives me pride to be a DSC life member. Hopefully Marco can make it through this ordeal and return to the profession.

clap
tu2

I agree completely. It needs to be increased to the point where it can make an even bigger impact.

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Tom Z. AKA "Labman"

Please keep the group up dated on how Marco's recovery is moving along.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1571 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Will do. I'll post if I hear anything else from
Motsomi. However, I don't have any personal experience with Motsomi. I'm just another guy on their email list.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2292 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote