Find
Notify
Tools

Demographics of African Hunters
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Born in 1980, so last year of Gen X.
No one in my family hunted, so I started hunting rifle hunting at the tender age of 32 Wink My first animal was warthog in South Africa Wink Not many Norwegian start with one of those Smiler
As for kdis hunting in Norway. If your mum or dad hunts, the kids will come along. My friend that also started his career with me at 32 on the same hunt. Has a son that`s 7. He`s coming along on moose hunts for his third year. My son is 4 and is fishing now and soon will join on a hunt.

The highest rise in hunters in Norway is girls/women. More and more are joining in. Not a lot of NOrwegians hunt Africa, but many ha shunted Sweden or other european countries.

Posts: 1089 | Location: Norway | Registered: 08 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Boomer, born in ‘59. Been 6 times and going again in ‘21. Highlight for me was taking my millennial son, who turned 32 in Tanzania last year on his 2nd African hunt. He shot his 1st ever buffalo on this day one year ago...

Posts: 3855 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
old Born in April of 1937,will be 84 yrs old April 5Th, and started hunting on my own at the age if six years, and haven't stopped yet. Hunted most of the USA, and Canada, Mexico, but my greatest love is for Africa, and not only the animals there but the people that have become friends from all the places I have hunted!

........................................ old MacD37

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The lure and lore of Africa is unsurpassed.

Posts: 1904 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It takes a long time to accumulate enough time and money to spend on hunting in Africa.

Silent generation here. I've been three times. Probably won't go again. Every year I feel five years older.

Indy

Life is short. Hunt hard.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boomer here, 63, so just in. Been on African continent 24 times various countries. Russia, Pakistan, New Zealand, Spain, Krygizstan, Canada........ lots of other places. Cant imagine not traveling to hunt

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Truth be known- AFRICA IS EASIER TO HUNT THAN NORTH AMERICA.... AND FOR MOST PART FAR CHEAPER !!

The CRAZY prices in US, CANADA, ALASKA...even for lowly Moose begin over $7k, and northern BC, Yukon NWT and Alaska.... well into $20s.... let alone Sheep in the $40s+++!!... and you pay full bore, no trophy fees like Africa, when you go home empty handed.... so is your pocket book!!

I think NA Outfitters best wake up...or there will be big push back... and demand trophy fee basis!!

You can do alot of hunting for that in Africa!! AND it is alot warmer sitting around the campfire for sundowner with your old PH with many great hunts of yesteryears!!

Yes, Africa Outfitters need to control trophy shipping....and I bet they will, soon....??

CheerZ,

470EDDY

Posts: 2559 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of T.J.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Indy:
It takes a long time to accumulate enough time and money to spend on hunting in Africa.

Agree. The time component for me was the roughest. Leaving my job for 2+ weeks was tough given the time demands in my field. Without a sat phone and ability to beam in some sort of internet so I could fire off a few emails each day I really don't think I could have done it.

Many hunters take safari as an opportunity to unplug and get away, but it's actually less stressful when I know I have the ability to get online or make a call from across the world and get something done so the rest of my team at work can keep going.

I'm in a client driven business. When they need something or our process calls for it I have to be responsive.

Bringing it back to the demographics discussion, my generation really is trying to force a change in the ability to work remotely. That also may be one silver lining to the COVID pandemic; proving we can be just as productive while not actually being at the office so much. If that happens to a large degree then I see a lot more Africa in my future, other factors notwithstanding of course.

Posts: 160 | Location: Ft. Worth, TX | Registered: 31 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T.J.:
Many hunters take safari as an opportunity to unplug and get away, but it's actually less stressful when I know I have the ability to get online or make a call from across the world and get something done so the rest of my team at work can keep going.

I'm in a client driven business. When they need something or our process calls for it I have to be responsive.

Bringing it back to the demographics discussion, my generation really is trying to force a change in the ability to work remotely. That also may be one silver lining to the COVID pandemic; proving we can be just as productive while not actually being at the office so much. If that happens to a large degree then I see a lot more Africa in my future, other factors notwithstanding of course.

T. J. you are showing that you are an exception, self starter. Many are not like that.

I had many employees who worked for me that would sit down, waiting to be told what to do next. They finished the job at hand, and did not move on to the next step. The work was the same process daily. When you are working on time constraints these employees made for exciting times.

I have nieces and nephews who when not being told what to do or just not doing what was part of their job would get on "Facebook" and post that they were playing games with other friends while they were to be working. I asked them if you do not like your job to start looking for another one that they could be interested in. And to quit posting on Facebook while they were to be working. I let them know that if I found their posts their employer could also. To not call in sick and then post pictures of them out having lunch with friends, skiing or sight seeing. They did not see an issue with their posting.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1574 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana338:
quote:
Originally posted by T.J.:

T. J. you are showing that you are an exception, self starter. Many are not like that.

I had many employees who worked for me that would sit down, waiting to be told what to do next. They finished the job at hand, and did not move on to the next step. The work was the same process daily. When you are working on time constraints these employees made for exciting times.

I have nieces and nephews who when not being told what to do or just not doing what was part of their job would get on "Facebook" and post that they were playing games with other friends while they were to be working. I asked them if you do not like your job to start looking for another one that they could be interested in. And to quit posting on Facebook while they were to be working. I let them know that if I found their posts their employer could also. To not call in sick and then post pictures of them out having lunch with friends, skiing or sight seeing. They did not see an issue with their posting.

Let's face it Bwana, the types of workers you are describing in your post above are not the types that will succeed to the point of being able to afford African hunting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
Killed like 30 animals in two weeks between both countries, was his first safari.

He was mid-80's I don't remember how old exactly.

Hard hunting was it? LOL

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boomer.
9 safaris.
I was supposed to do a double tuskless hunt this year, rescheduled to 2022.
I like to think I have another trip or two in me. Really have no need or desire for any more trophies. It has pretty much distilled down to tuskless hunting.
I pretty much consider elephant hunting to be an extreme sport, and there aren’t many of those a man my age can still engage in.
As long as my legs and the money hold out.

Posts: 1978 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1952 vintage, been on 16 African safaris. There is nothing like it, but it's getting more complicated, for sure.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never wanted to be "connected" and never was until 2017. Had internet in camp and international phone service. It was miserable. Worked until the wee hours due to the time difference. Totally wore me out. Let's go back.

Posts: 10007 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote