THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Do NOT Try This At Home! CZ550 Photos Have Been Added.
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do NOT Try This At Home! CZ550 Photos Have Been Added.
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
Parker Hale Rifle Blow Up

CZ550 And Lee Enfield

The above file is 1080P Full HD, size is 143 MB, so those with slow connection might take this into consideration.

Video is from 3 seperate HERO GoPro cameras, slowed down to 5% of normal speed

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66762 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Yikes. That would leave a bruise. What was the factor precipitating the failure, e.g., wrong caliber cartridge, overloaded cartridge, other?

Mike

Posts: 21092 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Yikes. That would leave a bruise. What was the factor precipitating the failure, e.g., wrong caliber cartridge, overloaded cartridge, other?

Mike,

It was an experiment we are doing on several actions.

This one is a Parker Hale in 243 Winchester. The fastest powder we have is Hodgdon HP38, so we filled up the case - 35 grains - and seated a 105 grain Speer bullet.

The results is as you saw in the video.

I will post the details of the other 2 actions later.

Posts: 66762 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
First thought was "What did Walter do" when I saw the title of the thread.

Saeed, That GoPro has a setting that is better suited for this type of filming. I think it is VGA mode? Could be wrong, but it is a 120 frames/s where the 1080 is 30 frames per second. Resolution is 720 I think, but you will get a much better video as it catches 4x the number of frames as the 1080.

Posts: 6250 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
gee - what was the velocity?? bewildered there might be some guys here that will try to beat it shocker Big Grin

Posts: 13439 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Impressive fireworks.

Did you have a strain gauge and PBL hooked up to it?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

Do NOT Try This At Home!
I'll try not to Big Grin

Great videos; wish I had a personal shooting range!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
It's interesting how the barrel looks pretty much unscathed. Did I see the bolt flying backwards through action?

Posts: 809 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any guesses as to how much pressure? Must have been well over 100,000 psi.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Whoa! Saeed's proof house! Big Grin

The last angle, from below, shows that the gas was properly vented downward, through the magazine well, first - until the pressure caused the bolt, barrel and action to fly apart.

I'd love to see what the action and bolt look like now.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13329 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
George,

I am afraid not.

We also tried blowing up a BRNO CZ550 in 308 Winchester, and Lee Enfield Number 4 Mk 1 in 303 British.

I will post all the relevant details and photos once I get everything sorted out.

Roy and Alan are here, and they are helping in this experiment.

The results will surprise you all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
We also tried blowing up a BRNO CZ550 in 308 Winchester, and Lee Enfield Number 4 Mk 1 in 303 British.

Saeed - what, no Blaser? Big Grin

Oddly, at least to me, is that Japanese Arisaka bolt actions are supposed to be incredibly strong.

Mike

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
quote:

Saeed - what, no Blaser? Big Grin

Oddly, at least to me, is that Japanese Arisaka bolt actions are supposed to be incredibly strong.

Mike,

Blasers don't need our help to blow up, they do it on their own! rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hah! Saeed, you know that that's only true when certain folks load up their rifle rounds with pistol powder! hilbily

At least you are doing that on purpose! Very interesting experiments. I am very curious about your results.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
I'm most impressed with the Go Pro's, those things are tough!

Posts: 2091 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Is the link down? I don't get anything when clicking on it.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Todd,

Seems to be working fine.

What results are you getting?

Normal righ click and save works.

One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
Todd,
It took my computer about 10 min to download.

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1427 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow!!!!!

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1281 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

I'm getting a solid white screen, with nothing on it, and the web address says: About:Blank

I'll keep trying.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Yep, same result. Maybe the connection I'm using (hotel) has the site blocked. I'll try again tomorrow from a different location.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd,

It worked for me. And much to my surprise, it took barely over 60 seconds to download. I think that's the first time my broadband internet service actually worked "broadband" with my premium service!

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is the link down? I don't get anything when clicking on it.

Todd, it doesn't work if you're on Saeed's IGNORE list :-)

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
Saeed,

I'm getting a solid white screen, with nothing on it, and the web address says: About:Blank

I'll keep trying.

I get the same

Hunting is not a matter of life or death....It's much more important

Posts: 338 | Location: Abbotsford BC | Registered: 20 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ddsipe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1/2 slam:
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
Saeed,

I'll keep trying.

I get the same

My results are similar, but you have to wait until the file completely downloads before you will see anything but the blank screen. Depending on your download speed, this could take several minutes. It's a large file.

We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
--Winston Churchill

"Oh, nothing Mom, just pounding primers with a hammer ..."

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Took a long time but eventually the video loaded.

It appears that the receiver blew up and the barrel remaining intact?

What exactly was the load that blew this gun to pieces, and what is the learning?

Also, do you still needs that mag follower and spring? Big Grin

Posts: 828 | Location: Whitecourt, Alberta | Registered: 10 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, if I don't tell my Mom can I come and play at your house

Posts: 1607 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
quote:
George,

I am afraid not.

I will post all the relevant details and photos once I get everything sorted out.

Roy and Alan are here, and they are helping in this experiment.

The results will surprise you all.

SAEED! YOU TRIED TO BLOW UP A CZ550???? HEY, IF YOU REALLY JUST DON'T LIKE THE RIFLE ANYMORE, PLEASE, LET ME SEND YOU MY ADDRESS!!

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1957 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I saved that one!

Who was pulling the string, and from how far away, down the tunnel, and from behind what kind of barrier was the trigger-string-puller standing?

I see the magazine spring landed "gently" below the fireball.

How far down the tunnel did shrapnel land, like the bolt handle and bolt body?
Is that the firing pin on the floor beneath the fireball, or just a stock splinter?

Wow!
Front action ring just disintegrated and released the barrel, that looks like it might be used to rebarrel a rifle.
I am hoping that the CZ 550 Medium in .308 does better than this Parker Hale M98 clone.
Amazing that all 3 cameras survived, unprotected and that close to the bomb.
rotflmo

Will have to see if QuickLOAD will allow calculation of pressure of that load. animal

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
The rifle was strapped to a metal frame about 50 yards down the tunnel.

If you look carefully at the video, you will see the bold flies to the right, hits the wall and lands about 7 yards behind the rifle.

Alan pulled the string on this one.

According to QL the pressure of this load was 171,000 psi.

The Enfield's pressure according to QL was 197,000 and it held together.

The CZ550 had two loads, one with a 150 grain bullet, and one with a 220 graion bullet.

The 150 grain had a pressure of 134,000, and the one with 220 grain bullet had a pressure of 175,000 psi.

One lug broke off the enfield, but no other damage would have occurred to the shooter.

The 150 grain load in the CZ 550 cracked the stock, and no other damage.

The 220 grain load, broke the stock on the left hand side of the action.

I have photoes of all these and will post them later.

The immediate thing that comesd to mind was that it is very hard to blow up a rifle.

I know, it has happened many times before.

But we suspect that unless one does something very6 stupid, or there is a catastrophic failure in the rifle itself, it is unlikely to blow up.

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
The rifle was strapped to a metal frame about 50 yards down the tunnel.

If you look carefully at the video, you will see the bold flies to the right, hits the wall and lands about 7 yards behind the rifle.

Alan pulled the string on this one.

According to QL the pressure of this load was 171,000 psi.

The Enfield's pressure according to QL was 197,000 and it held together.

The CZ550 had two loads, one with a 150 grain bullet, and one with a 220 graion bullet.

The 150 grain had a pressure of 134,000, and the one with 220 grain bullet had a pressure of 175,000 psi.

One lug broke off the enfield, but no other damage would have occurred to the shooter.

The 150 grain load in the CZ 550 cracked the stock, and no other damage.

The 220 grain load, broke the stock on the left hand side of the action.

I have photoes of all these and will post them later.

The immediate thing that comesd to mind was that it is very hard to blow up a rifle.

I know, it has happened many times before.

But we suspect that unless one does something very6 stupid, or there is a catastrophic failure in the rifle itself, it is unlikely to blow up.

Any idea on the above velocities?

Mac

Posts: 1720 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I cannot remember the exact velocities that QuickLoad suggested we will get.

But I do remember that they were nothing special - just like one would get from a standard load.

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
The lesson that I take away from this is that you and Roy, Walter too, are really just a bunch of 60-something kids who like to blow stuff up. Big Grin

You're all a bad influence on young Alan! Wink

Posts: 3833 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post

Administrator
posted Hide Post

Administrator
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
Astonishing pictures; thanks Saeed!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I'd be curious to see how Remington 700 and Winchester 70 stacked up in a head to head comparison, same caliber, same load.

Posts: 6250 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
I'd be curious to see how Remington 700 and Winchester 70 stacked up in a head to head comparison, same caliber, same load.

And maybe throw in a Ruger just for grins.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know if PH actions were cast or forged? Carburized or tool steel hard to the core? That one didn't bend. That one broke!

Mike