New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes VorTX ammo - BIG problem
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not purchased a box of factory ammo in over 40 years so I load all mine.I have only had maybe a 6-8 primers fail to fire in all those years and brand did not matter.changing ammo for his trip is not the answer just take the ammo Barnes sends to you and do not worry about it.you could have a bad primer in any brand.it just happens very rarely,have a great hunt

Posts: 197 | Location: Stickney,So Dakota | Registered: 12 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:
Dogleg - My son shot handloads and had great performance from his ammo. We were able to recover 2 TSX Bullets after they’d fully penetrated the chest of his first bull, they performed as expected.

Glad you brought this up, I still need to put together a hunt report.

Congratulations to your son. I started in Africa with a .375 and TSXs as well.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dogleg - My son shot handloads and had great performance from his ammo. We were able to recover 2 TSX Bullets after they’d fully penetrated the chest of his first bull, they performed as expected.

Glad you brought this up, I still need to put together a hunt report.

Looking forward to your report.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Give me the simple life; an AK-47, a good guard dog and a nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store.

Posts: 817 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
cleaning the rifle and hiking off to Africa is a bandaid, not a fix...A rifle can get pretty dusty and gummed up on Safari at times..If it were me id have a good gunsmith go through the gun with a fine tooth comb then handload some 300 gr. bullets of choice, probably Woodleigh softs and solids in the heaviest weight for the caliber I was using such as 350 in a .375 and 450s in a 40 caliber, but if factory ammo was the need, then some Nosler or WW, that's as good as any..At a certain point you just have to roll the dice and pray!! tu2

Do all these things prior to going hunting is the best advise..A good reason to have had ole betsy around for a decade or so, she is battle proven..no new gun is void of bugs these days IMO..At least you found the problem beforehand, oh so many do not, have not and never will! old so a plus one for you.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Blue Devil:
quote:
I would think it is an anomalie.

I do NOT think it is an anomaly. I have had the same problem with Barnes Vortex Ammo in 416 Remington. At one point I purchased 12 boxes of Barnes Vortex in 416 Remington with the TSX bullet. I had about 8 failures (with primer dented deeply) in 10 boxes of Barnes Ammo. I still have a couple boxes remaining. I have NEVER had a failure with any other brand of ammo while using this rifle. I've shot Federal, Hornaday, Winchester, Remington and Nosler ammo with no failures.

I love the TSX bullet, but there is NO WAY I'd take Barnes ammunition on a dangerous game hunt. I've been using the Barnes ammo for practice at the range.

For what it is worth, I have used Barnes Vortex ammo in my 338 Win Mag with no issues.

The batch of 416 Rem that purchased may have been just been a bad lot, but I know I will never take Barnes ammo on a dangerous game hunt.

Brad

Well I am done with Barnes ammo. In my original post above I mentioned that I had experienced problems with Barnes 416 Remington Ammo, but not had problems with Barnes 338 Win Mag ammo. That has changed. I just returned from an elk hunt in Utah. I was shooting Barnes VorTX 338 Win Mag with 225 grain Tipped TSX. I was about 350 yards away from an old big bodied 340 bull. I had a solid rest, and I pulled the trigger...and the rifle goes "CLICK". I ejected the unfired round with a dented primer, and jacked in a fresh round,...and the rifle gives me a second "CLICK". The look on my guide's face was priceless. I ejected the 2nd unfired round with a dented primer and loaded up a third round with pretty low expectations. On the 3rd round, the rifle finally went boom. The bullet performed brilliantly. The shot broke both shoulders, and the bull tumbled down the mountain, stone dead. When we quartered the bull, we found both shoulder were shattered. Truly devastating performance, but I'll never use Barnes Ammo again.

There is no issue with my rifle. I have shot lots of other factory ammo, Federal, Nosler, Remington, and Hornaday, with ZERO misfires. In fact in 40 years of shooting centerfire rifles, Barnes is the only factory ammo that has ever given me misfires. I'm done with them.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1284 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
The only misfires I have ever had were on occasion with one particular rifle. I stripped the bolt down and put a couple of washers behind the firing pin spring which seemed to sort it.

I wonder if Barnes primers are thicker? However, cannot remember Barnes being a problem in the bush.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9867 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I do NOT think it is an anomaly. I have had the same problem with Barnes Vortex Ammo in 416 Remington. At one point I purchased 12 boxes of Barnes Vortex in 416 Remington with the TSX bullet. I had about 8 failures (with primer dented deeply) in 10 boxes of Barnes Ammo. I still have a couple boxes remaining. I have NEVER had a failure with any other brand of ammo while using this rifle. I've shot Federal, Hornaday, Winchester, Remington and Nosler ammo with no failures.

I love the TSX bullet, but there is NO WAY I'd take Barnes ammunition on a dangerous game hunt. I've been using the Barnes ammo for practice at the range.

For what it is worth, I have used Barnes Vortex ammo in my 338 Win Mag with no issues.

The batch of 416 Rem that purchased may have been just been a bad lot, but I know I will never take Barnes ammo on a dangerous game hunt.

Brad

Well I am done with Barnes ammo. In my original post above I mentioned that I had experienced problems with Barnes 416 Remington Ammo, but not had problems with Barnes 338 Win Mag ammo. That has changed. I just returned from an elk hunt in Utah. I was shooting Barnes VorTX 338 Win Mag with 225 grain Tipped TSX. I was about 350 yards away from an old big bodied 340 bull. I had a solid rest, and I pulled the trigger...and the rifle goes "CLICK". I ejected the unfired round with a dented primer, and jacked in a fresh round,...and the rifle gives me a second "CLICK". The look on my guide's face was priceless. I ejected the 2nd unfired round with a dented primer and loaded up a third round with pretty low expectations. On the 3rd round, the rifle finally went boom. The bullet performed brilliantly. The shot broke both shoulders, and the bull tumbled down the mountain, stone dead. When we quartered the bull, we found both shoulder were shattered. Truly devastating performance, but I'll never use Barnes Ammo again.

There is no issue with my rifle. I have shot lots of other factory ammo, Federal, Nosler, Remington, and Hornaday, with ZERO misfires. In fact in 40 years of shooting centerfire rifles, Barnes is the only factory ammo that has ever given me misfires. I'm done with them.

That’s amazing, for all the wrong reasons. I shoot that exact same load in my .338 Win Mag, love that load. But, the more I hear about others having problems with Barnes factory ammo, the less I’m inclined to trust it for a big hunt in the future. Might be time to handload 225 gr. TTSX going forward.

Posts: 3855 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
I've only had one rifle cartridge not ignite and it was several decades ago; that was a Rem Core-lokt cartridge. Last season, I shot 4 boxes of Barnes (some at the range, the rest with my wife on her first safari) and had zero problems with ignition or performance on game. Losing confidence in ones favorite ammo is a downer. Hopefully, your sons hunt will not have any problems with ammunition. LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Brad

That’s amazing, for all the wrong reasons. I shoot that exact same load in my .338 Win Mag, love that load. But, the more I hear about others having problems with Barnes factory ammo, the less I’m inclined to trust it for a big hunt in the future. Might be time to handload 225 gr. TTSX going forward.

Funny, I hand load the 225TTSx and was thinning of just using factory...guess I’ll keep in keeping on...

One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
I shoot mostly Barnes factory ammo as I am a big fan of their bullets. I shoot Barnes ammo in 30-06, 375 H&H, 458 win mag, 416 Rigby, 338 win mag, 357 mag, 44 mag, 223, 243 and 9.3x62. I have never had a misfire with Barnes ammo.

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This exact thing happened to my with 30-06 Barnes Vor-tx a few years back - multiple primer fails in one box.

I called barnes, they had me look at the lot numbers on the inside of the box flap and send back all lot numbers that matched the one of the box that failed, they replaced all the ammo and no issues.

I primarily use vor-tx as I don't handload and I've had great success with it, I would call Barnes and I would bet they will make sure what they replace it with is in great shape. My 2 cents.

Posts: 504 | Location: California | Registered: 04 February 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This thread is amazing. Where does Barnes buy their primers? I suspect they don't make them.

I don't shoot much factory ammo but I've fired tens of thousands of rounds (rifle matches and hunting) through quite a few rifles and NEVER had a primer fail to fire.

I suspect that there is something involved with the rifles, not the primers, except that no one is reporting failures to fire with other brands of ammo.

Indy

Life is short. Hunt hard.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
If you see a well dented primer, it ain’t the rifle!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13143 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
If you see a well dented primer, it ain’t the rifle!

Bingo! The primers in the defective shell in my son's rifle were totally crushed. And, every other cartridge he fired, either other factory brands or handloads, all fired flawlessly.

He shot handloads on his buffalo hunt, with the same 300 grain TSX bullets and had great performance on the two buffalo he shot.

Posts: 3855 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Caretaker:
OK - let’s open a can of worms. I have a Win 70 chambered in 30.06. I too experienced indented cartridges (1 every now and then). It was traced to a weak spring on the firing pin. The Smith was extremely surprised and said he’d never seen a mod 70 spring go bad. If you’re going for DG, I’d have that checked just to be sure.

Agree, I had a brand new Rem XCR II in 375 H&H that had the same issue. I had my gunsmith (Kevin Weaver disassemble the bolt, clean it and install a heavier spring. Never had the problem again. Maybe it was just a bad round, but it was worth the peace of mind to get it done.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4729 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:
quote:
Originally posted by Caretaker:
OK - let’s open a can of worms. I have a Win 70 chambered in 30.06. I too experienced indented cartridges (1 every now and then). It was traced to a weak spring on the firing pin. The Smith was extremely surprised and said he’d never seen a mod 70 spring go bad. If you’re going for DG, I’d have that checked just to be sure.

Agree, I had a brand new Rem XCR II in 375 H&H that had the same issue. I had my gunsmith (Kevin Weaver disassemble the bolt, clean it and install a heavier spring. Never had the problem again. Maybe it was just a bad round, but it was worth the peace of mind to get it done.

This has nothing to do with my rifles. I've shot hundreds of round of 338 Win Mag and 416 Rem of nearly every ammo brand (Federal, Remington, Winchester, Hornaday, Norma, Nosler and Swift) with ZERO misfires. However in the same rifles with Barnes ammo I've had about dozen misfires.

I love the Barnes TTSX bullet, but I'll NEVER buy another box of Barnes ammo.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1284 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My take on bullet failure in an animal, or misfires or anything else is thats the manufacturers problem, not mine and I wouldn't shoot their ammo again, why would I?? As for primers in rifles I have used Federal forever, and nary a problem, but with factory ammo again Ive never had a problem or a misfire..but since you had a problem with Vortex, I won't shoot it either, but then Ive never used Vortex ammo to start with..

I don't see monolithic bullets as the only bullet out there, its just another good bullet IMO..but so is the Nosler, Woodleigh and most bonded core bullets.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
Sierra Bullets purchased the Barnes Bullet line from Remington for $30 million.

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have several misfires with 300 mag LR. Was pretty pissed I don't think I'd use that stuff until it is sorted out. Hornady was number 2 on misfires in my experience but just the budget line. Had a bullet seated backwards from hornady as well. For the important stuff I'd go better

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2847 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
I have Reloaded 100,000 - 200,000 shells (probably more that that) and have never had a misfire from my reloads.

I have had misfire's in factory new Remingtons - Federal & Winchester ammo. That does not stop me from purchasing their ammo and using it.

I also use Barnes ammo and I have never had a misfire and plan to continue to use it. And plan to purchase more in different calibers for my rifles.

What I look at is how the bullet performed in the field. And so far, the ammo I am purchasing appears to be doing the trick.

I look to purchase the premium or safari grade ammo to use and have not experienced issues while hunting.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1574 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I had similar misfire issues on my 1917 Enfields. Both were converted to cock on open - MISTAKE on my part - shortening the firing pin fall.

I solved by using a carbide bit to uniform the primer pockets on my Norma brass for the 404J; on the 35 Whelen I did the same, but not sufficient. So I researched primer hardness and found CCI (what I was using) as some of the hardest and switched to Federal (some of the softest). Problem solved!

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Soon, Barnes will be run by Sierra (Clarus Corp) and most probably will no longer use "Remington Primers "

( additionally, Vista Group (owner of ATK/Federal) bought the remainder of Remington's ammunition business)

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't wait for that

quote:
Originally posted by DuggaBoye:
Soon, Barnes will be run by Sierra (Clarus Corp) and most probably will no longer use "Remington Primers "

( additionally, Vista Group (owner of ATK/Federal) bought the remainder of Remington's ammunition business)

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2847 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a failure on safari one time on my first safari. Same thing, dented primer on factory ammo loaded with my favorite bullet Barnes TSX. Never happened again. I now exclusively hand load ALL my ammo except defensive handgun ammo, that is because of potential legal issues. With my hand loaded rifle ammo, I have shot thousands of rounds with zero failure. That said, experts still say that statistically factory ammo is more dependable but for me only, that is contrary to my experience.
Most hunters shoot a little but do not TRAIN for a hunt. The first shot is most important and most dangerous game incidents where hunters are injured or killed is because of things not going right with the initial shot. For almost all instances, a misfire on the first shot will likely. Send the target animal fleeing and no harm done. A misfire on a wounded incoming enraged animal is very serious but in a bolt action rifle is easily fixed by a rapid working of the bolt and continued shooting. This is easily practiced by misfire drill practicing with snap caps. You can even practice with snap caps or dummy rounds mixed in with real ammo on a range. Mental planning and practice mixed with training for the hunt is in essence planning for a successful and safe and enjoyable hunt.