Find
Notify
Tools

Accidental discharge
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of megsdad
posted Hide Post
Sitting in dry reeds beside a small duck pond at the local State Wildlife Refuge with a shotgun in my lap, pointed safely away. My pudelpointer pup runs to me and jumps in my lap. Shotgun goes off when pup steps on trigger.

Posts: 104 | Location: so oregon | Registered: 07 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
This thread has made me think of what it was like around this area when I was a kid. EVERYBODY had guns EVERYWHERE! Every house had a 22 or a shotgun leaning against the wall next to the back door. Every pickup had a rifle in the back window or a pistol on or under the seat. All were loaded because every grownup said “an unloaded rifle is just a club”. It’s a wonder we don’t all have a hole in us somewhere.

I don’t know what is better, a kid being well aware of guns being at full access and being afraid of being beat if you touched one or having them locked up and out of reach. I have heard of kids figuring out combinations and accessing guns then having tragic accidents, and I have first hand knowledge of a young man that was given full access to firearms that died of an AD. He had laid a loaded shotgun on his bed, when he went to bed he pulled it off the bed barrel first. The trigger caught on the blanket and discharged.

Familiarity breeds safety and comfort. Comfort breeds carelessness at times. We do Veteran hunts here on my ranch. Some of the best AND worst muzzle control I’ve seen has been displayed by combat veterans and well experienced hunting guides. Go figure.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine was on a hunt in Zambia with Andrew and Andrew McLaren. I had just shot a lechwe with a Blaser that had a hair-tuned trigger, borrowed from a very nice European guy in camp. Other than sighting-in I had never shot a Blaser or any other rifle with that system. Everything seemed straighforward until I tried to clear the rifle after making sure the lechwe was down. To this day, still not sure what combination of cocking lever, adrenaline, and palm (not finger!) on trigger guard caused the discharge, only that I was incredibly glad that the muzzle was pointed straight up and not at the PH in front of me (Andrew M). And never touched a Blaser again...

Years later, at Gunsite, they drilled that time and again- never point the muzzle at anything you don't intend to DESTROY.

In high school a friend had a brand new 870 and we went turkey hunting. Two of us sat next to him in the dark and got ready to call. He racked a shell and the gun went off right between us. It was pointed straight up and we thought he was a dummy. He then proceeded in full flashlight view to rack it again, and it immediately fired. Remington took it back and he had a less murderous one pretty quick.

Gotta admit, muzzle control is a challenge when walking in a line of folks in Africa all day, but it is more than worth the risk to keep it pointed safe.

Posts: 61 | Location: Reno, NV | Registered: 14 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sally's Dad:
.....Years later, at Gunsite, they drilled that time and again- never point the muzzle at anything you don't intend to DESTROY.

My dad is a Vietnam vet. I’ll never forget his first gun safety lesson to me. He said “NEVER point a gun at anything unless you’re going to shoot it and NEVER shoot ANYTHING you don’t intend to kill.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Angus Morrison
posted Hide Post
I’ve been asked quite a few times what the most dangerous part of Grizzly / Brown hunting is; it’s the guns alongside you. I love doubles but refuse to carry them closed counting on the tang safety, so I carry mine open.

Bolt actions I like the cocking piece dropped on an empty chamber, mag full, for clients and my own. Big fan of conventional Mauser style cocking pieces (Win, Rem, Ruger, Mauser Etc) as a sweep of the thumb or a quick glance can confirm the gun isn’t cocked.

I remember vividly my first and to date only AD, a Marlin lever .22 I was trying to let the hammer down on how an adult had shown me to, to “safely” carry a chambered round. Lacking the appropriate thumb strength I shot the ground in front of me right in front of the “teacher”. I think we both learned a lesson.

Another time in horrible weather and a rush to break camp before we became stuck I cased a gun with the mag loaded, chamber empty and cocking piece dropped as described above. Later as I prepared to travel I remembered I had to empty that mag, but easily could have forgotten. Would have been awkward to the X Ray.

Moral is I never think I’m immune, either from the oversights of others or my own.

Posts: 534 | Location: Northern British Columbia | Registered: 06 June 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
quote:
A feeling that doesn't go away even decades later.

Especially if a death is involved. I still think about that 6 year old brother of my friend, the funeral and that little boy laying in the casket, and its been 53 years since that happened.

Jesus I wish you hadn't said that. I'm sure sorry.

Posts: 9089 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Thanks MikeE. I was not there when the little brother was shot by his older brother, as I was home waiting for the older brother to pick me up as we were working that morning for one of the local fruit farmers. When I got the news from one of our other neighbors, I rushed down to their home, only to see their next door neighbor cradling the 6 year old in his arms as they jumped in the car and rushed to the hospital located in the next town. He died in the neighbor's arms on the way. In any event, it was a trauma related to gun safety that I have never forgotten.

Frowner

Posts: 9089 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
UEG. That had to be a worst experience. I had to be involved in the funeral of one who intentionally pointed it at himself. I have never fully recovered from that. It is always in the background. NOT the same as an accidental, but still there. When requalifying at work each year they are called negligent discharge and you would be fired for any one of those unfortunate infractions. Even if no damage occurred. Packy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My dad is a Vietnam vet. I’ll never forget his first gun safety lesson to me. He said “NEVER point a gun at anything unless you’re going to shoot it and NEVER shoot ANYTHING you don’t intend to kill.

My late father was a working class man and ivory hunter in his spare time and one fine day asked me to assist in cleaning his rifles.

During the course of the exercise once having dismantled, re-assembled the bolt and slid it back into the breech, all the while involuntarily with the muzzle square in his face, the old man didn't bat an eyelid until I laid the rifle down.

I never saw it coming, but that back-hander came fast and hard and and it felt more like a mouthful of knuckles than it did flesh.

His words: Never, ever, point a gun to a person unless you intend going through with the action and if you have the balls to do it.

That was one quick, everlasting lesson for a 14 year old. hilbily

Ah, yes I forgot: those were the days before the introduction of "child counseling" Big Grin

Posts: 1904 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted and been around many idiots.Pointing muzzles at people for whatever the reason is exactly what idiots do.There is no excuse.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm really surprised at the number of admitted accidental or negligent discharges, I thought the number would be far fewer.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2745 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
I am happy to see this thread got started,it brings us back & reminds us of the tragic consequence when things go wrong,I have had two AD'S,luckily both pointed in a safe direction,one was a hair trigger.& the second was handling a lever action with big gloves,it went off as I brought up the rifle.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
I'm really surprised at the number of admitted accidental or negligent discharges, I thought the number would be far fewer.

As someone earlier said, there are those who have and those who will. Taking into account the experience level here on AR, I'd bet most fall into the "have" que.

I've had one and been involved in another.

I had an AD myself when I was about 12 years old. We didn't have a range back then in our small East Texas town. My Dad and I just found an old, no longer used, logging road with a 100 yards or so stretch and set up a target. It was my turn to shoot and I loaded my 243, pointed it at the ground and pulled the trigger to test the safety. BOOM!! Couple of things I took away from that. The disappointment from my Dad is something I never got over as I looked up to him for everything. He had taught me gun safety and I had not followed his instructions, developing that habit of pulling the trigger. That little habit was broken for good with that AD and I've never touched a trigger again without either checking the barrel clear or aiming at something I intended to shoot. At least his instructions of muzzle control held and I only shot the ground. That was 45 years ago and I remember it like yesterday.

The one I was involved in came about in the fall of 1987. I was a newly winged Navy Lt. Junior Grade and my Lt. Commander Operations Officer, who was very experienced with guns but had never hunted, wanted me to take him out and introduce him to whitetail deer hunting. First day, first hour on the ranch, which was 12 miles off the farm road, through access easements across 5 other ranches, the turn off of which was 30 miles or so from the nearest South Texas town that had a total of 3 streets and obviously no medical facilities, I rattled up a small buck as we had hit the rut exactly on time. He shot the buck, and being his first deer, taken in the first hour of his first hunt, by rattling, he was as excited as a kid in a candy store.

We took the deer back to camp where I showed him how to dress it out. I still remember him in his excitement saying, let's go get yours now, as if it were merely a shopping trip to the grocery store. We got back into my Toyota 4WD pick up, where he had laid his 30/06 between the seats. Unbeknownst to me, in his excitement, he had failed to clear the rifle OR EVEN PUT THE SAFETY ON after taking his shot on his aforementioned buck. He grabbed the rifle by the trigger and BOOM! As all privilege of military rank was forgotten in that moment, I gave him an ear full although neither of us could hear for the ringing in our ears.

About that time he looked down and shouted "get out, it's on fire". The bullet had passed through the floorboard, hitting the gas line, and the muzzle flash had caught the gas line on fire. I didn't have an extinguisher in the truck (always do since this event). We tried throwing sand on the small blaze to no avail. Tried pushing the truck out of the way but it was trailing fire. It wouldn't start to drive it away as the fuel line was completely severed. Long story longer, the flames eventually overtook our efforts and that little truck burned completely over the next hour or so, leaving a twisted hulk of metal, completely stranding us in the middle of BFE. Never has an O-2 chewed out an O-4 without repercussions like was done over night as we waited for morning when he walked out to call for rescue.

We got off lucky. If that bullet had hit him in the foot or leg, he would likely have bled to death before I could have gotten help as this was long before cell or sat phones. With the level of experience he had around guns, I never would have expected to have to watch him so close. It goes to show you that experience around weapons is no 100% cure. Excitement of the moment can easily cause lapses in safety. Vigilance has to be a priority at all times.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have seen several people having these.

But non was as scary as the very first one.

I cannot remember how old I was.

I had a 410 single barrel my grandad gave me to shoot birds with on the beach.

I did very well with it - I used to get told off when I missed!

One day I was joined by one of our neighbors kids.

He was older and - thankfully - much taller.

He had a side by side double, and was carrying it loaded over his shoulder, pointing back.

I was behind him, and to the side.

I think he was playing with the triggers.

It went off, making my ears whistle, and scare the daylight out of me.

He decided to go home, and give up shooting - he was not much into guns anyway.

He made me promise to never tell anyone about it.

I did keep my promise for at least 20 years, then I mentioned it.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66936 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Fairgame for bringing this up. This is a great thread
for all of us to read.

Fortunately, I have never personally had an accidental discharge but that does not
mean I have not done stupid things when I was younger.

A couple of things that I have seen and heard: I invited my friend to go on
a depredation antelope hunt. He brought a friend with and as we were sneaking up
on the herd, this guy accidentally pulls the trigger. I have no idea what could have
been going through his mind. Fortunately, there was no one in front of the barrel!

30+ years ago, myself, and my two cousins were shooting 22's. We were at our deer camp
and just screwing around. My younger cousin was getting ready to shoot and his older
brother walks in front of the gun. Just as his head is in front of the barrel, my cousin
pulls the trigger and 'click'. The gun misfires.

If I have ever had a misfire from a 22, I cannot remember it. We were all lucky that day.

I would not expect anyone to believe that story but it did happen and my cousin reminded me
of it a few months back. Certainly it is something that still scares me to think about.

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm not. I believe, unfortunately, that it is quite high, but many won't admit to doing it.

A couple of weeks ago, a friend of mine here in Las Vegas was checking his two handguns in the bedroom. He had removed the clip from one and was pointing it at the other handgun laying on the bed. He told me that he 'thought' the chamber was empty, as he could not remember putting a shell in the chamber before storing it. With that untested and stupid belief, he then pulled the trigger. The 40 S&W handgun went off and the bullet struck the other handgun and destroyed it. His wife came running in thinking that he had shot himself. I asked him if he was going to buy a new handgun to replace the destroyed one. He said: "Hell no! My wife won't speak to me or even sleep in the same room with me now!" Every time I see him, he's like a robot repeating the words: "That was the stupidest thing that I have ever done!" No kidding! Ya think?! thumbdown

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:

I am surprised that there has not been more as this is one occupation where the loading and unloading rifles is a common daily occurrence.

It is very rare but as other have stated it does happen and especially when one if confident that all is safe.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9867 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:

I am surprised that there has not been more as this is one occupation where the loading and unloading rifles is a common daily occurrence.

It is very rare but as other have stated it does happen and especially when one if confident that all is safe.

I don't think anything good will come if we hunters more than anyone become hysterical about it.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These are great stories, I intend to distill them down and read them during the firearm safety rules discussion in the hunters ed classes I instruct at.

Here are mine:
1. In college a bunch of buddies and I were shooting in the desert. One of the gals in the group was given a loaded .22 semi auto rifle that was not on safe. She was holding it barrel down, finger in the trigger. She squeezed it in error and it discharged, impacting a few inches from her foot.

2. A buddy and I were shooting AR's at a gravel pit. He shot 10-15 rounds and started to lower the gun as he was done shooting the string, forgetting to take his finger off the trigger in the process. He bumped it and it went off. it was pointed down range so no damage but scared the heck out of him and me.

3. I was at an indoor range shooting an AR and did the exact same thing as #2 above...

4. A buddy and I were deer hunting. It was end of day, light was fading and we had a very steep downclimb ahead of us. He decided he wanted to unload his Savage 30.06. I was next to him watching him so I know he did not have his hand near the trigger. To open the action the safety has to be off. As he took it off safe, the gun discharged. It was pointing up in the air so no one was hurt.

5. I was lined up on a pronghorn in Wyoming and getting ready to take the shot. I had my trigger set at about 1.2 lbs. I brushed it ever so lightly and it went off before I was ready kneecapping the animal. A second round dropped it.

6. I watched a cape Buff get shot in the backend by someone under the same scenario as #5 above.

7. My dad had one of the Remington’s that would discharge when taking off the safety. Took him a couple instances to realize what was happening as his habit is to pop off the safety as he is getting ready to take the shot. One time he “pulled a shot” and hit a fence near the animal, another time he had a poorly placed shot resulting in a long tracking event. He was sitting in a blind hunting deer and thinking back on the shooting issues he had been having and decided to test the theory of the safety causing an early firing of the gun. When he was ready to shoot a deer he lined up the shot and took it off safe. The gun went off and the deer went down. It has since been fixed…

Lessons learned:
1. Always mind rule #1 and 2: Assume it is loaded and keep it in a safe direction.

2. Hair triggers and hunting are a bad combination.

3. Never never never trust safeties.

4. Get that finger off the trigger as soon as you are done shooting and before you take the rifle down.

Posts: 355 | Location: Sandpoint, ID | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dead Eye
posted Hide Post
Cold weather, gloves, a light trigger and adrenaline caused the first round fired at a whitetail buck in heavy timber to go high into the air. The next one hit a tree as he ran behind it. Round three went through his chest.

This thread is a good reminder that no matter how good you think you are, accidents do happen.

Posts: 395 | Location: Canada | Registered: 06 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep Muzzle control is always the primary safety on any weapon safety do not always work
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Fisk:
I was shot in the arm by a friend with a AD. He shot his brother the next year and his father 3 years later. I won't even go in the county as the guy.
Yep, muzzle control is the saving grace.

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
I had one...sort of.

Someone handed me a loaded gun. I started to unload it. I pointed it in a safe direction and slipped the safety off. BOOM! I never touched the trigger.

This model gun was recalled for having this issue.

……………………………………….AND I'm sure that was a mod 700 Remington!

The phrase "UNLOADED " so often mentioned in this thread seems to indicate one must have no ammo in the rifle, even the magazine. IMO, this is not what unloaded means to me. To me unloaded means an empty chamber with the magazine full.
Of course where a double rifle is concerned loaded means exactly that LOADED! with the safety on, and barrels pointed in a safe direction, but fully unloaded when crossing any place where difficult footing is being negotiated, or with the rifle open!

I had one AD while simply walking down a trail with my rifle on the shoulder in the sling with the barrel pointed up. That rifle still had the safety in the on position and suddenly fired with no one touching it. Guess what it was! A 7mm mag Remington 700 ADL. It fired again that day with the barrel pointed UP when the safety was moved to fire position.

I still have that rifle in my safe, with the bolt removed but it has never been loaded sense. I will not sell that rifle to anyone, because it is not a safe firearm.

………………………………………………………….. Eeker

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
MacD37: Remington had a recall on the Model 700 some years back. I had three at the time and had them all repaired for free by a local gunsmith, per Remington's recall instructions. I'd reach out to Remington and let them know about your rifle. They may still have it repaired at their cost. The least that Remington is going to tell you is no, but I would think that with a liability like, they may say take it in and have it fixed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was chatting to a friend and was reminded now this last December for deer season there was a fellow with a muzzle loader who loaded it before climbing up to his tree stand. He was then pulling it up by a string when it went off and shot himself. Do not know if he survived. I recall Gibbs 505 Kevin Robertson, jumping down with a new .505 from a famous maker going off from the bump and just missing himself. I had problems with a Gibbs .505 made by Frank Wells Pre 64 based Winchester after a gunsmith worked on a broken pin a week before I left for Africa. He warned me it would fire if the trigger was pulled with the safety on, not immediately, but when the safety was turned off. I dry fired and confirmed it was possible to do it and so would always check the position of the firing pin before turning the safety off for the trip. Made a mark. Worked fine and took a fine buffalo and PG but then sent it to JJ who corrected it. I asked JJ for the explanation in an email but he never clarified what he found.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought the Kevin Robertson incident was related to a gun that was being carried on the shoulder with a sling. The top sling attachment point failed causing the rifle to free fall and hit the ground butt first. The impact allowed the firing pin to strike the primer and the gun went off.

I could be mixing up my stories though.

Posts: 355 | Location: Sandpoint, ID | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This has got to be one of the best threads on AR in a LONG time. No judgments, just mea culpas. I have done (and always asked myself why afterwards) the point in a safe direction and pull the trigger routine. After all, if the purpose is to ascertain the safety of the gun, just look in the action! However, in many cases, it has been to uncock the trigger as the gun will be unused for a while. Thanks to the person who posted the comparison between driving and shooting. Point well taken!
Having said that, I did go hunting with a friend who had an old SxS shotgun. He loaded the chambers and closed the action, with the barrels pointed in a safe direction ie. the ground, between my legs. As he closed the action, the gun went off splattering dirt all over my legs. I don't know if he had his finger on the trigger or not. The gun was an antique!
Anyone know what happened to the FBI agent dancing in a club when his concealed pistol fell on the floor and detonated?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"DENVER — A dancing FBI agent who accidentally shot a man in the leg after doing a backflip at a Denver bar will avoid jail time after pleading guilty Friday to third-degree assault.

Chase Bishop, 30, struck a plea deal with prosecutors and was sentenced to two years of probation, The Denver Post reported ."
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have a 9mm pistol here which I have confiscated from a police officer!

We were at a shooting range.

The range is in a building which has other rooms and facilities, including a gunsmith room.

From the gunsmith room, one has to walk down a corridor, passing several rooms used for offices etc., then turn into the shooting range.

We were in the gunsmithing room, and this officer was having his pistol cleaned and oiled.

He had a full magazine in his hands.

The gunsmith handed him the pistol, with the action open.

He took it from him, slotted the magazine in, and closed the action with a round in the chamber, and proceeded to walk down the corridor.

I saw all this happen.

I walked behind him, got hold of the pistol, with my thump in front of the hammer, took it out of his hands, and said "you are not fit to handle a gun! You can tell your boss that I have taken your gun. And I can assure you you will never see it again!"

I never heard anything about it, and I never saw that man at the shooting range again.

Having lived all my life with guns, it has always been hammered into us to be safe.

Posts: 66936 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1984 I was 13 years old.

I got shot in my skull - right side 1.5-2 inches above my right eye with .177 air rifle (crossman) by my best friend from 6 inches. Neither he nor I knew the rifle was loaded and he just randomly decided to raise the gun and pull the trigger. He is still my best friend - it was just kids being kids with poor gun safety.

I was operated on. Thick skull - no brain damage. I have a light scar that zero men notice but some women have noticed it. I do have a piece of my skull as a trophy - I need to find it.

Never had a head ache or any neurological issues. Had an mri done 30 years later and it just showed an injury.

Got lucky and been pretty careful about guns since.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
1984 I was 13 years old.

I got shot in my skull - right side 1.5-2 inches above my right eye with .177 air rifle (crossman) by my best friend from 6 inches. Neither he nor I knew the rifle was loaded and he just randomly decided to raise the gun and pull the trigger. He is still my best friend - it was just kids being kids with poor gun safety.

I was operated on. Thick skull - no brain damage. I have a light scar that zero men notice but some women have noticed it. I do have a piece of my skull as a trophy - I need to find it.

Never had a head ache or any neurological issues. Had an mri done 30 years later and it just showed an injury.

Mike

That explains lots of things about you Mike!

Like fishing and your love for Blasers! rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also will not hunt with a ph or anyone whose gun handling I don’t like or feel safe around.

I normally dislike being around more than a few people with firearms. I don’t shoot birds even in business settings (Boone Pickens ranch) ect for that reason. I don’t like being around too many strange new people and firearms. I don’t shoot at my range when they have tactical matches with numerous participants on the range. I don’t shoot at indoors ranges.

Ar members I had hunted with - subsailor74, Larry shores, Biebs all have shown excellent gun safety.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
1984 I was 13 years old.

Mike

Reason I like Blaser is they are the safest gun platform around.

Fishing hooks just leave nasty scars. Tough to get killed by an impailed popper or stickbait regardless of the owner 4 hooks.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great thread!
I was 18 and hunting with an old two pipe with hammers. The gun had seen a lot of work and was carried by the ‘pig boy’ who would shoot the pigs out of the maze at night. It’s was an African classic in that the barrels which were starting to splay apart were bound together with old bicycle tube rubber.
Anyway I digress...
I had shot a rabbit and as I walked up to it it came to life and proceeded to kick in circles while on it’s side. With perfect timing I butt stroked the rabbit as it passed my feet picked it up and put it in the truck.
When I unloaded a short time after I noticed the second shot shell had a dent in the primer. When I tested the weapon it was apparent the non cocked hammer would in the process of butt stroking fly forward and hit the primer of any shell in the chamber. I was lucky that day!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not a firearm per se, but a crossbow.
I was climbing down from an elevated box blind a few years back with my crossbow slung over my shoulder, cocked and with the bolt in it.
As I was climbing down the ladder it discharged sending the bolt about straight up, I have no idea where it came back down at.
I never leave the bolt in the crossbow when moving since then.

Posts: 273 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
1984 I was 13 years old.

Mike

Damn Saeed. You beat me to it.

clap

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A buddy and I were deer hunting. It was end of day, light was fading and we had a very steep downclimb ahead of us. He decided he wanted to unload his Savage 30.06. I was next to him watching him so I know he did not have his hand near the trigger. To open the action the safety has to be off.

All the savage bolt action rifles I know of have a middle position where the safety is not off allowing one to unload the rifle.

When I closed the bolt on a sporterized 03 the rifle fired. The rifle was pointed straight up.

It had two position safety installed on it.

To this day my buddy and I could never figure out why

Posts: 19362 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A lot of firearms will fire after pulling the trigger with the safety on, and then putting the safety off. I will bet that some of you guys have firearms with this condition and don't know it. Try it. If it's a bolt rifle and does not fire when the safety is moved off, try wiggling the bolt. That will also do it in some cases.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2927 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not really an AD, but when I shot my first squirrel with an semi-auto 22, I dropped the rifle to the ground (too much baseball) and ran towards the squirrel. My Dad, screamed at me, gave me a quick lecture on what could go wrong. Then he had me stand behind him, while he squatted to pick up the rifle. Yep, the rifle went off as he picked it up, he said a greenbriar was around the trigger.

When I had a son of my own starting to shoot, my Dad fessed up. He had used his pinky to make the rifle go off and teach me a lesson. It has worked so far.

One of Us
Picture of Angus Morrison
posted Hide Post
I’m not sure what Lhook has taken offence to in the above post. But I’d sure like this thread to stay in its present tone and not go down the path of bickering. It’s a great thread so far.

Posts: 534 | Location: Northern British Columbia | Registered: 06 June 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Angus Morrison:
I’m not sure what Lhook has taken offence to in the above post. But I’d sure like this thread to stay in its present tone and not go down the path of bickering. It’s a great thread so far.
I posted on the wrong thread. I deleted this one and reposted it on the correct one.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote