THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    A great read of past big game hunters

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A great read of past big game hunters
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A great read of past big game hunters

Arjun Reddy
Hunters Networks LLC
30 Ivy Hill Road
Brewster, NY 10509
Tel: +1 845 259 3628

Posts: 2532 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Neat read, Arjun. Thank you for sharing.

Posts: 1417 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Interesting, thanks for sharing that link.

I do find it curious to see Peter Capstick listed and Harry Shelby (among many other greats) not listed. I’ve talked with a handful of Botswana PH’s who regarded Capstick as much less of a PH than his reputation, while holding Selby as among the best ever. They thought Capstick was a great writer, but an average (at best) hunter.

Posts: 3833 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Pretty neat sketches of some great hunters. Good to see a pic of Pete Pearson.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent, thanks for posting

Posts: 2638 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many of those names are in the "African collection" from Briar patch press from the 80's that I won at a sheep auction. 26 books I believe really nice. Looks to be a lifetime of reading by the size of the books and small print...

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2840 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting Arjun!

Posts: 1782 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Thanks for these interesting and well-written short biographies.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13329 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Arjun.

Good read. The one that always cracks me up is Samaki Salmon. Samaki is "fish" in Swahili. Neat nickname.

Posts: 9951 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I never got to like Bunny.

He seemed a bit odd.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66762 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great read on a lot of hunters from all over the world.

Greatly appreciated!

Posts: 2581 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, I hunted buffalo with Bunny Allen on Mt Kenya in 1975. My hunt was booked with his son David but David seemed more interested in photo safaris and left most of the hunting to Peter De Mello and occasionally to his semi-retired father, Bunny. Bunny certainly knew how to tell a story and he was pretty colourful but I never found him odd. I think his claims to being a gypsy were certainly a bit exaggerated. He spoke and behaved like an upper middle class gentleman of his era but that could have been a result of the circles he moved in.
At the time I was a farm worker and I saved for a year then sold my car to finance my hunt in Kenya. I still try and hunt in Africa every year although this year's trip to Uganda has been put off until next August. It's not the same though, mainly because in 1975 I was very young and hard but now I am neither!

Posts: 284 | Location: New Zealand  | Registered: 24 March 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How was your safari in general? Not many people left from that era!

quote:
Originally posted by the Pom:
Saeed, I hunted buffalo with Bunny Allen on Mt Kenya in 1975. My hunt was booked with his son David but David seemed more interested in photo safaris and left most of the hunting to Peter De Mello and occasionally to his semi-retired father, Bunny. Bunny certainly knew how to tell a story and he was pretty colourful but I never found him odd. I think his claims to being a gypsy were certainly a bit exaggerated. He spoke and behaved like an upper middle class gentleman of his era but that could have been a result of the circles he moved in.
At the time I was a farm worker and I saved for a year then sold my car to finance my hunt in Kenya. I still try and hunt in Africa every year although this year's trip to Uganda has been put off until next August. It's not the same though, mainly because in 1975 I was very young and hard but now I am neither!

Posts: 2532 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:

Fantastic! If you happen to have any pictures scanned from that trip you’d like to share I’d be happy to host them. I’m a sucker for any Kenya hunting. Great story!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I’d love to hear a hunt report!

Posts: 2638 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Bunny bragged way too much about his conquests, for my tastes, at least.

Maybe he made them, maybe he didn't.

But the ladies could have been spared, IMHO.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13329 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry I can't post any pictures of my hunt in Kenya. The only ones I have left are on slides (remember them?) in my New Zealand home and at present we are in our UK place. We came over here despite the covid for the birth of my first grandson and now we are stuck here. (They named the baby "Hunter" so either he will be taking pigs with a dogs and a knife when he is 8 years old or he will be a militant vegan!)
I was 24 and working as a relief milker in 1974 when I saw and advert in the "Shooting Times" for a hunt in Kenya with Allen Safaris. Milking cows when farmers were sick or on holiday was well-paid and with free board and lodge and working 12 hours a day, 7 days a week it was easy to save money. I asked a wealthy friend from college called Richard to come too. He had introduced me to deer stalking on his father's estate in Scotland but he didn't want to hunt, just take photos. Two other guys had booked as well. Jon was 29 and owned a gun shop bought with profits from the Biafran war when he tendered for thousands of ex-army .303s and then sold them for ten times as much to the Biafran rebels. Not that those rifles did them any good! The other fellow owned a fish and chip shop and he had only used a shotgun before.
I took a shotgun for bird shooting but the only rifle I had was an open sighted .303 so I left that at home. Jon took .270 and we asked David Allen to provide rifles.
We flew out to Nairobi together and stayed at the New Stanley hotel. My friend Richard's father knew the Block family who owned the hotel so we were well looked after. We were taken for a game drive around the Nairobi national park which was a useful introduction to the wildlife. The wildlife at the new Stanley was startling too, for a country boy. The ladies were, without exception, very beautiful and at that time see-through blouses and no bra was the fashion. I was 24 with testosterone coming out of every orifice and I had arrived in heaven!
Richard stayed with the Block family for a few days after David Allen collected the rest of us
and took us to the East African Professional Hunters club and then out to the airport. David owned a Cessna 172 and he flew us to his home near Naro Moru where he buzzed the Impala off the strip before landing. We saw Black Rhinos during the flight and there was game everywhere on the farmland. David and his wife, Petal, lived in a beautiful Kenyan settler's home which had been the base for the film "Born Free" and we each had one of the cottages built for the film stars.
We were introduced to Peter De Mello, a very competant PH of Goan descent who took me out for my first hunt in Africa.
(To be continued!)

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Pom,

please do continue!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12842 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
We flew out to Nairobi together and stayed at the New Stanley hotel. My friend Richard's father knew the Block family who owned the hotel so we were well looked after.

The "Thorn Tree" and "Long Bar" were at the time, iconic meeting places at the New Stanley.
I haven't been back to Nairobi in decades and wonder if the attraction of these historical venues have retained their appeal.

In my late teens enjoyed trout fishing in the Naro Moru river, camping in the dense mountain forest; it was pretty wild back then.

Posts: 1869 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sorry I can't post any pictures of my hunt in Kenya. The only ones I have left are on slides (remember them?) in my New Zealand home and at present we are in our UK place. We came over here despite the covid for the birth of my first grandson and now we are stuck here. (They named the baby "Hunter" so either he will be taking pigs with a dogs and a knife when he is 8 years old or he will be a militant vegan!)
I was 24 and working as a relief milker in 1974 when I saw and advert in the "Shooting Times" for a hunt in Kenya with Allen Safaris. Milking cows when farmers were sick or on holiday was well-paid and with free board and lodge and working 12 hours a day, 7 days a week it was easy to save money. I asked a wealthy friend from college called Richard to come too. He had introduced me to deer stalking on his father's estate in Scotland but he didn't want to hunt, just take photos. Two other guys had booked as well. Jon was 29 and owned a gun shop bought with profits from the Biafran war when he tendered for thousands of ex-army .303s and then sold them for ten times as much to the Biafran rebels. Not that those rifles did them any good! The other fellow owned a fish and chip shop and he had only used a shotgun before.
I took a shotgun for bird shooting but the only rifle I had was an open sighted .303 so I left that at home. Jon took .270 and we asked David Allen to provide rifles.
We flew out to Nairobi together and stayed at the New Stanley hotel. My friend Richard's father knew the Block family who owned the hotel so we were well looked after. We were taken for a game drive around the Nairobi national park which was a useful introduction to the wildlife. The wildlife at the new Stanley was startling too, for a country boy. The ladies were, without exception, very beautiful and at that time see-through blouses and no bra was the fashion. I was 24 with testosterone coming out of every orifice and I had arrived in heaven!
Richard stayed with the Block family for a few days after David Allen collected the rest of us
and took us to the East African Professional Hunters club and then out to the airport. David owned a Cessna 172 and he flew us to his home near Naro Moru where he buzzed the Impala off the strip before landing. We saw Black Rhinos during the flight and there was game everywhere on the farmland. David and his wife, Petal, lived in a beautiful Kenyan settler's home which had been the base for the film "Born Free" and we each had one of the cottages built for the film stars.
We were introduced to Peter De Mello, a very competant PH of Goan descent who took me out for my first hunt in Africa.
(To be continued!)

Awesome stuff. The Blocks (both Jack and his father Abraham) were pretty much the hotel kings in Kenya. Jack took over admin of Ker and Downey safaris, and put an office in on of the buildings he owned. He also owned the Mount Kenya Safari Club, well, before it was renamed that.

Look forward to more... ;-)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have written up the rest of this report and posted it under "Reports". After 45 years my memory is fallible and the exact sequences of events from day to day may have become muddled. I also can't remember the names of all the people so my apologies to anyone reading this who was present at the time!