THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    U.S. Endangered Species Act Protection Sought for Hippos

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

U.S. Endangered Species Act Protection Sought for Hippos
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
https://biologicaldiversity.or...r-hippos-2022-03-24/

For Immediate Release, March 24, 2022

Rodi Rosensweig, The Humane Society of the United States/Humane Society International/Humane Society Legislative Fund, (202) 809-8711, RRosensweig@humanesociety.org
Tanya Sanerib, Center for Biological Diversity, (206) 379-7363, tsanerib@biologicaldiversity.org

U.S. Endangered Species Act Protection Sought for Hippos

Investigations Show Thriving Market for Hippo Parts in United States

WASHINGTON— Wildlife protection groups today petitioned the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to protect hippos under the Endangered Species Act. The legal petition was filed by the Humane Society of the United States, Humane Society International, Humane Society Legislative Fund and Center for Biological Diversity.

One of Africa’s most recognizable species, the common hippopotamus faces a high risk of extinction and is disappearing from the wild. With only as few as 115,000 adult hippos remaining in the wild in Africa today and increasing and unabating threats from habitat loss and degradation, poaching and trade in hippo parts — teeth, skulls, ivory, skin and meat — the future of hippos is uncertain.

The comprehensive analysis of trade included in today’s petition demonstrates that hippos are highly sought after by traders, poachers and trophy hunters for their ivory tusks and other body parts. The United States plays a key role in this trade. Over the last decade, the United States imported more hippo parts and products than any other country, including more than 9,000 teeth, 5,700 skin pieces, 4,400 small leather products, 2,000 trophies and 1,700 carvings. These imports represent a combined minimum of 3,081 hippos killed for legal trade. Many more hippos are poached and their parts enter trade. Listing under the Endangered Species Act would ensure near-total restrictions on most imports and sales.

“Hippos are being needlessly slaughtered for commercial trade and trophy hunting,” said Adam Peyman, director of wildlife programs for Humane Society International. “As the leading importer of hippo parts, the United States should be ashamed of the role they play in the decline of this iconic species. If we don’t protect them now, hippos may disappear forever.”

Undercover investigations by Humane Society International and the Humane Society of the United States between 2018 and 2021 revealed a thriving market of hippo parts and products for sale in the United States. Investigators found thousands of hippo items, including trinkets made from carved teeth, hippo ivory-handled knives, hippo leather purses, belts and boots, hippo skulls and a hippo skull table. Investigators recorded sellers of hippo parts explaining how they skirt state laws meant to protect hippos.

“We cannot continue to allow thousands of hippos to be killed for their teeth or skin, for a ridiculous trinket or a pair of boots. This iconic species must be granted urgent protection under the Endangered Species Act to end this cruel cycle. We will not sit back and watch hippos vanish,” said Kitty Block, president and CEO of the Humane Society of the United States.

“Limiting U.S. imports by listing hippos under the ESA will grant them important protections and will set the stage for other countries to follow,” said Tracie Letterman, vice president of federal affairs for Humane Society Legislative Fund. “As conservation leaders, but also the leading importer of hippo parts and products, the U.S. has a critical role to play in saving hippos from extinction.”

Hippos are also under threat from habitat loss and destruction. Dependent on freshwater systems, hippos are threatened by drought, agricultural and other water diversions, and loss of grazing areas. Climate change is predicted to cause further droughts in sub-Saharan Africa with detrimental consequences for hippos, reducing their birth rates and increasing their mortality.

“Adored for their yawning jaws and distinctive ears, these monumental animals deserve to thrive in the wild, and U.S. protections will help ensure they do,” said Tanya Sanerib, international legal director at the Center for Biological Diversity. “Hippos are irreplaceable ecologically, playing key roles in both aquatic and grassland systems. We’re losing keystone species like hippos in part because of human exploitation. In the middle of an extinction crisis, we can’t ignore the huge volumes of wildlife captured, killed and traded globally to supply U.S. demand, including for hippos and their parts.”

The Fish and Wildlife Service has 90 days to review and respond to the petition and determine whether a listing may be warranted.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9348 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
They should enact a new law to protect COMON SENSE!

It is VERY RARE nowadays!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66758 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I am positive the 100 or more African native population who are killed by them every year don't think they are endangered. The "save the wildlife" nonsense is way over the top these days.
Why did our ancestors shoot off the wolves, bears, cats and other species. Because, they did not play well with crops or livestock for food or sale and/or were a danger to humans living around them.
I don't understand why the 'enlightened ones' want to rerun the same situation again.

Posts: 5691 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
What does a market for hippo parts have to do with ESA protection? Shouldn't listing only be based on their conservation status?

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 632 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
They should enact a new law to protect COMON SENSE!

It is VERY RARE nowadays!

It is critically endangered, Saeed, Critically Endangered.

Posts: 3833 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Until recently we were culling 500 hippo from the Luangwa river to control the overpopulation that would now and again lead to outbreaks of anthrax.

Hippo are common in Zambia and occur in every river system.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9846 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Hippos are endangered?

Someone is cooking the books!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13329 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps we should all quit hunting hippos here in the USA? I haven't seen one recently so they must be endangered here. beer

Most of my money I spent on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted

Posts: 260 | Location: Saint Thomas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 14 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depending on how you look at it, humans are endangered, but only because we keep endangering ourselves.

Posts: 9951 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
https://allafrica.com/stories/202208040156.html

Africa: Countries Want Hippos Listed as Endangered Species

4 AUGUST 2022
The New Times (Kigali)
By Patrick Nzabonimpa

Ten African countries have proposed that hippopotamus be given the highest protection under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora's (CITES) official list of endangered animals.

Hippos are already listed as an appendix II species, which means they are not necessarily threatened with extinction but could become so if their trade is not regulated.

Activists from the 10 countries want hippos to be reclassified as 'appendix I', the highest level, which would make it completely illegal to trade in hippo body parts and ivory.

A species only becomes officially 'endangered' when the CITES says so. It will be known whether hippos will be classified as endangered or not until the next CITES meeting in Panama in November.

Native to Africa, hippopotamuses are huge, water-loving animals. They are also among the largest and dangerous land mammals on the planet.

The current status of the global hippo population is so precarious. The International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) estimates that between 115,000 and 130,000 common hippos remain in the wild thus have become 20 percent fewer than there were in 1990.

Hippos are especially vulnerable to overexploitation due to their long gestation periods of eight months, and females not reaching sexual maturity until nine or 10 years.

The ivory trade also encourages killing hippos because ivory can be found in their teeth, while other hippo body parts are also traded for high prices.

77,579 hippo parts and products were legally traded from 2009 to 2018, according to The Guardian.

On top of all that, climate change is reducing hippos' access to fresh water and destroying their habitats.

In 2016, IUCN classified hippos as vulnerable to extinction on its red list with local declines, particularly in west Africa, raising fears about the survival of the species in some of the 38 African countries where it is found.

The 2016 IUCN Red List assessment states, "the conservation status of Hippos remains precarious and the need for direct conservation action to protect Hippos and Hippo habitat across their range is a priority."

In Rwanda, hippos are not highly threatened, according to Telesphore Ngoga, Conservation Analyst at Rwanda Development Board (RDB).

He noted that the issues they are facing relates to reduction of wetlands that hold fresh water where they inhabit as people use them for other purposes like farming, adding that hippos sometimes sneak to the farms of the people which can result in human-wildlife conflict.

He recognises that hippos are threatened in different countries hence sees a need to enforce conservation efforts as a good move.

"We are happy that we managed to conserve our hippos but if the species can be added on the list of endangered species that will drive enforcement regarding their conservation," he said.

Although the number of hippos in Rwanda is still unknown, Ngoga is aware that the species is found in Akagera National Park, Nyabarongo and Akanyaru wetlands as well as Ruhwa River in Rusizi District.

In case of human-wildlife conflict, Rwanda has established the Special Grant Fund to pay compensation fees to the communities around the parks and lakes whose properties are destroyed by wild animals or individuals who are wounded or whose relatives have been killed by the same animals.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
And just who are the ten countries requesting the re-listing? None are listed in the obviously misleading and biased news article. Another Guardian bull shit anti-conservation and anti-hunting write up. What a sad rag!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hippopotamus amphibius

Benin, Burkina Faso, Central African Republic, Gabon, Guinea, Liberia, Mali, Niger, Senegal, Togo

Transfer from Appendix II to Appendix I

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

one of us
posted Hide Post
https://cites.org/eng/cop/19/a...roposals/provisional

Here is the link for CITES provisional proposals, messing with elephants again.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have an idea.

I am willing to pay for members of this committee, to be transported to one of the larger rivers in Africa.

I will take them to different hippo pools, and drop a couple of them in each.

They can tell me how endangered hippos are!

Oh, and I will witness and video the process clap

Posts: 66758 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kathi:
Hippopotamus amphibius

Benin, Burkina Faso, Central African Republic, Gabon, Guinea, Liberia, Mali, Niger, Senegal, Togo

Transfer from Appendix II to Appendix I

Lots of hippo trophy hunting happening in those countries, is there?

Anti's are so misguided and misinformed. Just like the gun control nuts, attempting to pass legislation based on emotion instead of facts and measures that would really make a difference.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That list of countries... Some of those should consider having a hunting program to pay for anti-poaching.

My guess is the hippos in a lot of these places have been turned into nyama because they aren't worth a nickel to the locals as anything but nyama.

Confused

Posts: 429 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HSUS will not be satisfied until all animal species except humans are protected from hunting and until all animal species have the right to vote.
They do next to nothing for local animal shelters. My wife is on the BOD of our local shelter and would testify to that. Our shelter struggles to make ends meet. HSUS executives on the other hand travel in style and enjoy perks usually reserved for the wealthy.

Most of my money I spent on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted

Posts: 260 | Location: Saint Thomas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 14 February 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muttleysgone:
Perhaps we should all quit hunting hippos here in the USA? I haven't seen one recently so they must be endangered here. beer

Wrong my friend

Two legged hippos are over populating the country!

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Two legged hippos are over populating the country!

rotflmo clap
I know a few, and all of them are gold medal! clap