Notify
Tools

Burkino Faso
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
I see that the two French hostages were specifically taken while in Safari..

quote:
It is quite sad when men died saving non-combatants.

These are the 2 quotes that affect those here the most IMHO. At what point do those engaging in travel and leisure owe it to those who are going to clean up the mess, not to engage in these activities?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The two tourists were in a government owned photo safari park in Benin that is run by Africa Parks, which is quite well respected from what I hear. To the best of my knowledge it is still open to tourists so you can't place all the blame on the tourists. Most sheeple don't exercise their better judgement and like to leave the decision making to those in authority. The park admin should be the ones to know better.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The following was sent to me by an outfitter hoping to hunt BF next year.

We did not hunt in Burkina Faso this year because of the increased terrorist attacks towards the end of last year. The government with the help of the French military started "clearing-up" the situation and things look posive for 2020. As per my previous email to BYH below:

"Official and reliable sources in Burkina Faso and France have indicated that the security situation is receiving serious attention and problem-areas are being cleared-up rapidly. Although difficult to predict the future, especially concerning African politics and security, the official predictions are that we will be able to hunt in 2020. To avoid disappointment, we recommend that prospective hunters lock-in preferred dates between January and April 2020. We will monitor the situation closely and keep you updated."

Posts: 488 | Location: WI | Registered: 31 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
The first hospital in South Africa, a temporary tent to care for sick sailors of the Dutch East India Company (the Company) afflicted by diseases such as typhoid and scurvy, was started at the Cape of Good Hope in 1652.

A permanent hospital was completed in 1656. Initially, convalescent soldiers provided to others whatever care they could, but around 1700 the first Binnenmoeder (Dutch for matron) and Siekenvader (male nurse/supervisor) were appointed in order to ensure cleanliness in the hospital, and to supervise bedside attendants.

The Company subsequently employed Sworn Midwives from Holland, who practiced midwifery and also trained and examined local women who wished to become midwives. Some of the early trainees at the Cape were freed Malay and coloured slaves.

From 1807, other hospitals were built in order to meet the increasing demand for healthcare. The first hospitals in the Eastern Cape were founded in Port Elizabeth, King Williamstown, Grahamstown and Queenstown.

Roman Catholic Nuns of the Assumption Order were the first members of a religious order to arrive in South Africa. In 1874, two Nightingale nurses, Anglican Sisterhoods, the Community of St Michael and All Angels arrived from England.

The discovery of diamonds in Kimberley led to an explosion of immigrants, which, coupled with the "generally squalid conditions" around mines, encouraged the spread of diseases dysentery, typhoid, and malaria.

Following negotiations with the Anglican Order of St Michael, Sister Henrietta Stockdale and other members were assigned to the Carnarvon hospital in 1877. Sister Stockdale had studied nursing and taught the nurses at Carnavorn what she knew; these nurses would move to other hospitals in Barbeton, Pretoria, Queenstown, and Cape Town, where they in turn trained others in nursing. This laid the foundation of professional nursing in South Africa.

Sister Stockdale was also responsible for the nursing clauses in the Cape of Good Hope Medical and Pharmacy Act of 1891, the world's first regulations requiring state registration of nurses.

The Anglo-Boer war and World War 1 severely strained healthcare provision in South Africa.

Formal training for black nurses began at Lovedale in 1902. In the first half of the 20th century, nursing was not considered appropriate for Indian women but some males did become registered nurses or orderlies.

In 1912, the South African military recognised the importance of military nursing in the Defence Act. In 1913, the first nursing journal, The South African Nursing Record, was published. In 1914, The South African Trained Nurses' Association, the first organisation for nurses, formed. In 1944, the first Nursing Act was promulgated.

In 1935, the first diploma courses to enable nurses to train as tutors were introduced at the University of Witwatersrand and the University of Cape Town.

The establishment of independent states and homelands in South Africa also created independent Nursing Councils, and Nursing Associations for the Transkei, Bophuthatswana, Venda, and Ciskei. Under the post-Apartheid dispensation, these were all merged to form one organisation, the Democratic Nursing Organisation of South Africa (DENOSA).

The world's first adult heart transplant was performed by a South African cardiac surgeon, Christiaan Barnard. Barnard performed the first transplant on Louis Washkansky on 3 December 1967 at Groote Schuur Hospital in Cape Town.

Today in South Africa, private and public health systems exist in parallel. The public system serves the vast majority of the population, but is chronically underfunded and understaffed. The wealthiest 20% of the population use the private system and are far better served. In 2005, South Africa spent 8.7% of GDP on health care, or US$437 per capita. Of that, approximately 42% was government expenditure. About 79% of doctors work in the private sector. It has the highest levels of obesity in sub-Saharan Africa.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36416 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Highly unlikely. Besides the jihadis there are local politics involved.

quote:
Originally posted by AXEL19:
The following was sent to me by an outfitter hoping to hunt BF next year.

We did not hunt in Burkina Faso this year because of the increased terrorist attacks towards the end of last year. The government with the help of the French military started "clearing-up" the situation and things look posive for 2020. As per my previous email to BYH below:

"Official and reliable sources in Burkina Faso and France have indicated that the security situation is receiving serious attention and problem-areas are being cleared-up rapidly. Although difficult to predict the future, especially concerning African politics and security, the official predictions are that we will be able to hunt in 2020. To avoid disappointment, we recommend that prospective hunters lock-in preferred dates between January and April 2020. We will monitor the situation closely and keep you updated."

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:

It would be interesting to see what would happen if one could have a first world country take over one of these states for a prestated finite time (talking 20-50 years), and the country would get a 1% GNP “return on investment” if they left it a success, but were responsible for paying for fixing it if they did not.

It might have seemed like a good idea when you wrote it down, but I don't think you've thought it through. It wouldn't work. You couldn't even get agreement on the definitions of the words in the agreement. Would Marshal Law be acceptable as "taking over"? Required to run elections in a multi-tribal country? Any exceptions to the 1% of GNP increase measurements, like commodity price fluctuations, which can make or break a single resource country? Or natural disasters?

A country which would accept a "mandate" (and there is historical precedent for this) would only do it with no obligations other than moral, forget financial performance obligations as a carrot, or be itself so corrupt that the numbers would mean nothing. Imagine a Hillary Clinton government taking this on.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
the 2 hostages were just married and on honeymoon. Else this post is poorly named. Burkina Faso's reputation is damagded even though the attack was committed in Benin and the sponsors are in Mali.

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While it's popular to criticize the colonial powers as being cruel and greedy, it should be pointed out that the mineral and other natural resources were of no value whatsoever to the indigenous peoples as they did not have the know-how or wherewithal to utilize them. Even the agricultural potential of these countries was barely utilized. In the process of extracting natural resources, the governments and corporations developed the countries' infrastructure (to wit the bridge over the Zambezi constructed by the British among other bridges, Kariba Dam among other dams, various ports, and a network of railroads and roads), established constitutional law and order, built schools, brought modern medicine to the Dark Continent, established the national parks, and put an end to incessant tribal warfare.

Even if the locals had been able to exploit the natural resources, 95% of the production would have been exported to the developed countries anyway. You can't run a camel on gasoline. So the argument really boils down to who is entitled the the profits, and the answer to that is always the same: the persons who put up the capital. Some of these people were local, some were foreign.

Many colonies had no minerals. Mozambique for example. The colony of Natal had nothing to speak of either. So where was the exploitation there?

Regarding slavery, it was the British who put an end to it in RSA as well as their other colonies. I might point out that the middlemen in the slave trade were Africans and Arabs for the most part. And the customers were for the most part American.

If you want to criticize colonists, perhaps one should focus on the Caribbean. Apparently the Danish were the worst of all, engaging in brutal torture of slaves who transgressed.

And here we go, off to the political section again.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2926 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Never let the truth stand in the way of a good narrative. If it wasn’t for the colonial powers, African countries would still be living a primitive tribal existence. Drive 75 miles outside any major city in any black ruled country( which is all of sub Saharan Africa)and see how people are living. Greed and tribalism at its best. If the truth makes me a racist, so be it.....

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13104 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
The world was a better place when the sun never set on the British Empire.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36416 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com...6bdfe145f_story.html

Burkino Fasos wildlife reserves have become a battle zone overrun by militants and poachers.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9348 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
And the customers were for the most part American.

Sorry Russ, with all due respect, you're incorrect on this one. In addition, 8 million more slaves were enslaved just on the African Continent alone by their own peoples and by the Arabs, and remained there as slaves. Furthermore, the U.S. and Britain BOTH banned the African slave trade in 1808.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a interesting safari in Burkino. The hunting areas were pretty wild and uninhabited back then.

Posts: 1782 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
I had two of my best safaris in BF. It’s too bad with what’s going on with the situation over there.

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1427 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sad one of my best ever safaris was to Burkina Faso Arrived the day they the terrorist shot up the splendid hotel just down the street from where I was staying. Other than that great safari great staff many animal good food . Sad to learn that the terrorist burned down the hunting camp where we stayed. And the entire country has a state department rating of 4 (do not go there)

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sadly they are having a go in Northern Mozambique also:
Link

Posts: 1089 | Location: Norway | Registered: 08 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed

You should read what King Leupold has done there.

He had a policy of extermination for anyone who did not want to be a slave!

C'mon, Belgian only killed 10 millions congolais in 25 millions, not more. And, you know, not a single one was a WASP.

D.V.M.

Posts: 179 | Location: Italy | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
With respect to the slave trade from West Africa...we have done 3 cruises up the West Coast of Africa and extensive touring from ports and inland. Our conclusion, those who made it out of there to anywhere on the map above...ARE THE LUCKY ONES!!.... living conditions there today is little more than existence in harsh and meager conditions by comparison !!
That said, I very much wanted to hunt Benin or BK and Cameroon. I have been foiled by turmoil every time...and the passing of great friend PH CAM GREIG!!

Must have been divine guidance in missing these opportunities?? .... still pursuing Cameroon before I am to old??!!

I am hoping the World will calm down after COVID??

CheerZ

470EDDY

Posts: 2539 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
The planet becomes more dangerous by the day. Most all of our problems are man made.

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am probably going to get thrown off the forum for this but: The mistake this country made IMO was after the freeing of the slaves, we did not give them passage with blessings back to Africa. Generations had been trained in agricultural, livestock and leadership. The mantra of the slave owner standing over the slave with a whip was as a rule not true. Slaves generally managed the plantations. That experience would have valuable in Africa. I think had we done that we would have never seen the Brits gain the power they had.

Throw in the Soviets in the 1950's (Mau Mau) and now the Chinese and you have history repeating itself. What is going on in this country now proves that the only looser is going to be the poor black, US or African.

Posts: 513 | Location: NE Washington | Registered: 27 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't get this exploitation thing. The colonial powers ruled these countries in a way that facilitated investment. As far as I know, no government official or soldier cut down a tree or dug up any minerals. This was done by private companies owned by shareholders, including some from the country in question. And these same companies paid wages to mostly indigenous employees and paid taxes to the government which paid for roads, bridges, harbors and hospitals .. typically at least 2/3 of the revenue of any "exploitation" was ploughed back into the local economy.

The "indigenous" people who protest this don't mention that many of them migrated to the countries in question from someplace else. The only difference between them and the western colonial powers was that they failed to develop anything, preferring to slaughter the true indigenous peoples they found there.

In every country, the natural resources were never shared with the common man, they were exploited by risk-taking investors who put their savings at risk in collaboration with governments, mostly elected by the common man. Even in those countries where there is some sharing rhetoric, like Venezuela, the common man got the short end of the stick.

So the idea of "exploitation" is just a romantic notion that is used by entirely home-grown politicians to gin up resentment and to pin the blame for their failure on some long-dead boogie man.

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Hmmm...makes me wonder why Americans didn't enjoy being a British colony.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The (Caucasian) Americans were the colonizers in residence in that case. As big as the country is, there was no room for two sets of colonizers.

Just as the white Zimbos had no interest in being second-guessed. They wanted to run the place to suit themselves. They did not see themselves as being colonial subjects.

In both cases, I think the British would have been a moderating influence. For one thing, slavery would have been gone without the need for a civil war in the USA. And Zim might have turned out like Botswana had they not been shown the door.

The question should be whether the indigenous people had any problem with the British. In America, I don't know the answer to that. For sure, they had a rather big problem with the "white man" ie the colonizers in residence. In Zimbabwe, it's not clear the indigenous differentiated between the colonial British and the resident British.

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I'm not trying to be argumentative but Botswana was a British Protectorate run by an indigenous government and never a British colony. The Sarwa probably didn't enjoy the fruits of this relationship in the same way the Setswana did. In any event, Botswana was/is a unique situation. My first, second and third introduction to African hunting was in Botswana and it (and its varied people) will always hold a special place in my heart.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bentaframe:
I am probably going to get thrown off the forum for this but: The mistake this country made IMO was after the freeing of the slaves, we did not give them passage with blessings back to Africa. Generations had been trained in agricultural, livestock and leadership. The mantra of the slave owner standing over the slave with a whip was as a rule not true. Slaves generally managed the plantations. That experience would have valuable in Africa. I think had we done that we would have never seen the Brits gain the power they had.

Throw in the Soviets in the 1950's (Mau Mau) and now the Chinese and you have history repeating itself. What is going on in this country now proves that the only looser is going to be the poor black, US or African.

The slaves here did more than manage the plantations, they had all the manual skills as well as the inside skills, there was practically nothing many weren’t experts at.

Read Booker T Washington’s Up From Slavery. He was flabbergasted that so many ex-slaves sufferered as they did. His perception was that the slaves believed that freedom from slavery meant freedom from work. When he started the Tuskegee institute, he was continually frustrated that incoming students did not want to perform manual labor to build/maintain the school. He felt there was a link between physical work and mental work and required students to keep the place up. He also said he knew that what they helped to build/maintain they would be less likely to vandalize or destroy...imagine that.

But try to find a school that teaches that book...you won’t, he’s too much of an apologist for many people, who prefer the WEB Dubois line of reasoning...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
The world was a better place when the sun never set on the British Empire and the French and the Belgians took care of Central and West Africa.

Might be nice living in fantasy land but the reality is a British passport buys little in today’s real world.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/g...ndia-1.1543933604580

UAE has little issues deporting a British citizen to India.

Mike

Agreed...but at one time that was not the case. And...the world was a better place before they ceded their power.

Bullshit!

The colonialists treated the locals like their very own slaves.

Took everything they could from their countries - that was the whole purpose of the occupation anyway!

What is happening today is the breakdown of law and order.

Something gradually happening in the West right now!

Well....it was awful good of them to Gove your family your country.....

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Hunter:
The Chinese are the new 21st century colonial masters. And be damned the wildlife!

Yep! And when those human locusts get through those blacks in Africa are gonna,be praying for some white folks to come and exploit them!

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote