Notify
Tools

Burkino Faso
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted
Yikes

"An American citizen is among a group of four hostages who have been freed in western Africa following a French special forces military operation that resulted in the deaths of two of their own soldiers, the Elysee announced Friday.

France said the hostages were rescued Thursday night following a battle in Burkina Faso."

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7574 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
Yikes

"An American citizen is among a group of four hostages who have been freed in western Africa following a French special forces military operation that resulted in the deaths of two of their own soldiers, the Elysee announced Friday.

France said the hostages were rescued Thursday night following a battle in Burkina Faso."

Ugly situation to say the least.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Shame, was some good hunting there

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Salute to the soldiers and their families.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9846 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I see that the two French hostages were specifically taken while in Safari..
scary Sh..t !
A bad mix of Islamic Extremism and Western African poverty and corruption...
Islamic Extremism preys in these young military age males with no direction and no future...
RIP the two Brave Soldiers from France

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:
Yikes

Mike

I remember you warning of this.

Posts: 11911 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
quote:
quote:
Yikes

Mike

I remember you warning of this.

Yup

People don’t realize that one can easily get Daniel Pearled. That is being kidnapped by criminals and sold to someone (ISIS/Al Queda) whose end goal is to make a video tape with the victim and a rusty knife.

Many parts of the world make Uncle Bob’s Zimbabwe appear as a beacon of safety.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP to the brave French troops who completed their mission.

Posts: 10479 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am afraid Africa is going to go full dominoo theory in relation to Gihadist, much like it did with Communism.

Posts: 10611 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
I am afraid Africa is going to go full dominoo theory in relation to Gihadist, much like it did with Communism.

Not really -90 percent of the world is pretty safe. The key is staying out of the 10 percent that will get you in trouble.

Some places drop to 50 percent safe - Sao Paulo, Joburg. Some places are 98 percent safe - Manhattan, Macau, Dubai. Key is if you are in some place unsafe or unknown be with locals.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
“French President Emmanuel Macron ‘bows with emotion and gravity at the sacrifice of our two soldiers, who gave their lives to save those of our fellow citizens,’ the French government said in a Friday statement . . .”

Bravo and Godspeed to the fallen.

I am certain they gave as good as, and likely far better than, they got.

But it is still a hard and heavy burden for all of us, and especially their families and fellow soldiers, to bear.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13329 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:

Not really -90 percent of the world is pretty safe. The key is staying out of the 10 percent that will get you in trouble.

Some places drop to 50 percent safe - Sao Paulo, Joburg. Some places are 98 percent safe - Manhattan, Macau, Dubai. Key is if you are in some place unsafe or unknown be with locals.

Mike

We will have to respectfully disagree. Kenya, Uganda, Somalia, the Sudans, Chad, Burkino Faso, South Africa, not to mention Yemen all in the last 2 years have had multiple violent govermentail or jihadist related violence. The deference between Africa and say Detroit is the motivation of the violence we see.

The virus is spreading. Radicalism feeds off distable governments. African governments corruption becomes a recruiter for disillusioned young males.

How many times have we heard Safari areas are safe. Get in and out of large cities. No one will take a Safari to a war zone. Everyone is invested on Safari in your saftey.

All of that is true. Until the hot spot comes to you. Burkino Faso has had a Safari Camp raided and burns to the ground. Now, tourist out of the large cities and even on Safari are being targeted.

My point is, that a fire at on part of the house and get to your end of the house, and there is no such thing as containment. If Sophia is bombed tomorrow. I will not go to Bulgaria.

I hate that we disagree so often. Your positions are very well reasoned. If that says anything about me, so be it.

Posts: 10611 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is quite sad when men died saving non-combatants.

Two weeks ago today, I got to utilize one of my Christmas presents. It was some firearms training with a group of ex-special forces guys. It was a hell of a lot of fun and extremely interesting.

One guy had retired from the French Foreign Legion. He had spent years in Somalia. He had been all over north and western Africa. His discussion of these areas was frightening. I promise you that none of this would surprise this gentleman.

I do have to wonder if there will be some serious retaliation by the French over this. They have been know to take serious action in remote areas of Africa before over misdeeds affecting their citizens.

Posts: 11911 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was looking at bookyourhunt.com and saw hunts for BF for 2020. The outfitter was optimistic for hunts next year when I enquired about it. I'll post his response here later.

Posts: 488 | Location: WI | Registered: 31 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
And some here would venture to South Sudan?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9846 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
We all owe gratitude to the soldiers, no matter which country they represent, who defend our societies from the scourge of radicalism, no matter which form it assumes. Sad to see BF go down, and I wonder if this cancer will spread into Cameroon or Benin anytime soon.

I’m hopeful the French government will respond in an overwhelming way to stamp this radicalism out.

Posts: 3835 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Boko Haram has been in Cameroon for awhile. Or I should say in and out. They raid across National borders and then back to safe territory in the jungles of Nigeria.

When I was there in '15 I met three contractors in the hotel Meridian bar. They were American and so we struck up a conversation, they asked me where I was headed. They were going to Garoua the next morning. I was headed to Ngoundere. Found out later we were training troops from Mali, Chad and Niger along with Cameroon to chase down Boko. BH is quieter these days. But not gone...

I feel fortunate to have hunted several countries in West Africa, Benin, BF and a couple of trips to Cameroon. The politics and cultures there are very unlike Southern or Eastern Africa. But they were unique and I truly enjoyed the adventures. And some special trophies as well... bongo, LDE, roan, Western Savannah buffalo, Central Savannah buffalo, RF duiker, harnessed bushbuck, just to name a few.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7512 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
RIP to those guys who lost their lives to rescue hostages
Boy, that’s a tough one, good for French military to keep an eyes on these countries, otherwise, those places would completely collapse within...

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
The world was a better place when the sun never set on the British Empire and the French and the Belgians took care of Central and West Africa.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36417 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
The world was a better place when the sun never set on the British Empire and the French and the Belgians took care of Central and West Africa.

Might be nice living in fantasy land but the reality is a British passport buys little in today’s real world.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/g...ndia-1.1543933604580

UAE has little issues deporting a British citizen to India.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Might be nice living in fantasy land but the reality is a British passport buys little in today’s real world.

Mike

Agreed...but at one time that was not the case. And...the world was a better place before they ceded their power.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36417 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
My condolences to the French Troops.

I may have to work next door, in Ghana this summer.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mike

Agreed...but at one time that was not the case. And...the world was a better place before they ceded their power.

The power was taken in some places thru the barrel of a gun - Vietnam, Rhodesia, Congo and other places wisely given up before it could be taken thru the barrel of a gun.

Just to put current stuff in context

https://www.militarytimes.com/...tion-in-afghanistan/

Wise advice given to me by a zim PH I trust as a good ph and very good business operator in Zim. What do you call a black man with an ak47 in Africa - SIR. Those are wise words to keep in mind.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the news again attack on Catholic Church

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2840 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mike

Bullshit!

The colonialists treated the locals like their very own slaves.

Took everything they could from their countries - that was the whole purpose of the occupation anyway!

What is happening today is the breakdown of law and order.

Something gradually happening in the West right now!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66768 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
It is not bullshit either. Please tell tell us who brought law and order to Africa and maintained it in more civilized times?

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK I’ll say it. What’s the difference between the indigenous leaders? Politically incorrect I know..I guess if it’s your own robbing and stealing from the people with an iron fist it’s ok. Just wish the lights stayed on more regularly and the “rule of law” was a bit more uniformly enforced....

quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mike

Bullshit!

The colonialists treated the locals like their very own slaves.

Took everything they could from their countries - that was the whole purpose of the occupation anyway!

What is happening today is the breakdown of law and order.

Something gradually happening in the West right now!

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is not bullshit either. Please tell tell us who brought law and order to Africa and maintained it in more civilized times?

100% Lane.

tu2

Administrator
posted Hide Post
NOTHING was done in the past in the interests of the country being occupied.

NOT IN A SINGLE ONE!

The point of them being occupied was to rape them of their natural resources - from fruits, vegetables, minerals and slaves.

Anyone who thinls otherwise is day dreaming, and no different than the idiots calling for "reparation" for past crimes.

And that is all it was CRIMES AGAINST HUMANITY.

Lots of it still going on today, but in many different ways.

Law and order was established by the sword.

Again, noting has changed much.

The colonialists were replaced by the locals in Africa.

Posts: 66768 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
The Chinese are the new 21st century colonial masters. And be damned the wildlife!

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3022 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I read Hallets book Congo Kitabu and the sequel he pointed out extensively that the Belgiums were much more benevolent colonial rulers than the others with the indigenous in mind. Cited schools education health care jobs etc. Not sure but the Congo is a total sh*thole today. Yes there was uranium....

quote:

NOT IN A SINGLE ONE!

The point of them being occupied was to rape them of their natural resources - from fruits, vegetables, minerals and slaves.

Anyone who thinls otherwise is day dreaming, and no different than the idiots calling for "reparation" for past crimes.

White Mountains Arizona

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Hunter:
The Chinese are the new 21st century colonial masters. And be damned the wildlife!

Yep!

And they are going at it full throttle in Africa right now!

By the time the bloody Chinks finish with Africa, they won't be anything walking there!

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunslinger55:
When I read Hallets book Congo Kitabu and the sequel he pointed out extensively that the Belgiums were much more benevolent colonial rulers than the others with the indigenous in mind. Cited schools education health care jobs etc. Not sure but the Congo is a total sh*thole today. Yes there was uranium....

quote:

NOT IN A SINGLE ONE!

You should read what King Leupold has done there.

He had a policy of extermination for anyone who did not want to be a slave!

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:

NOT IN A SINGLE ONE!

While there is some truth to what you say...2 shining examples to the contrary are South Africa and Rhodesia.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My heart goes out to the families of the two brave commandos who lost their lives during the rescue.

Africa is becoming a much more dangerous place to live or visit.

Once the tourists and hunters stop coming African wildlife will be doomed.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
How was oil discovered and then developed commercially?

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

NOT IN A SINGLE ONE!

While there is some truth to what you say...2 shining examples to the contrary are South Africa and Rhodesia.

Wrong again!

These two are not the only ones ruined by their own people.

The African continent can be made into paradise, with all its resources.

But, greed and stupidity rules.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
My point Saeed was that these 2 countries were better of before indigenous rule for all.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My point Saeed was that these 2 countries were better of before indigenous rule for all.

If it is based in facts and real world economics data and a measuring system that includes the majority black population in data. Just plain wrong on South Africa

https://tradingeconomics.com/s...frica/gdp-per-capita

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, those figures might be factual, but what about context?

Where was South Africa with comparison to the rest of the world during white rule? There has been a hell of a lot of inflation of late.

South Africa did well under Mandela, but has been stuck in a rut of corruption since then. Of course, part of their problem is all of the folks illegally immigrating from the north, as as bad as it is there, it’s better than Zim or Moz for jobs.

Frankly, to me, it seems that Africa has been badly governed for centuries. If it’s not a totalitarian strongman, it’s a corrupt bureaucracy, or outsiders running things.

While the colonial powers tended to insist on law and order, they were very short on freedom or self determination.

It would be interesting to see what would happen if one could have a first world country take over one of these states for a prestated finite time (talking 20-50 years), and the country would get a 1% GNP “return on investment” if they left it a success, but were responsible for paying for fixing it if they did not.

The colonial powers did do some good, but it was not by intent, rather a side effect of relieving the colony of as much wealth as possible.

Posts: 10479 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote