Find
Notify
Tools

SCI
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted
Packing and heading out in the morning with good friend for the road trip to sin city and see you there boys

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We fly out tomorrow morning .

Posts: 11907 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We fly out Wednesday morning. Looking forward to it.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2723 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
My 89 year old mother-in-law came down with COVID last week. She is triple vaxxed. Best we can tell, she got it, somehow, during a doctor’s appointment. She is recovering at home quite nicely. It is basically a head cold.

We’ll be in Vegas by noon tomorrow. Can’t wait - even if our stay may be extended a bit for reasons beyond our control.

Looking forward to seeing old friends and making new ones.

Best,

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13329 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
HAve fun guys - send pics

Michael - best to your M-I-L.

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Baxter,
I was looking forward to meeting you!!

CheerZ,

470EDDY

Posts: 2540 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Will be at the convention all four days. Living in Vegas makes it easy! rotflmo Big Grin tu2

one of us
Picture of WVFred
posted Hide Post
Flying out in the morning if the weather cooperates Can't wait Big Grin

DRSS Member

Posts: 898 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Driving in Tuesday afternoon... staying for the Beinfeld International Antique and Collectors GunShow....

With this China Bug going around, I have decided to bring my Sterling flask and gargle some fine Bush Mills Irish Whisky after each visit... should be a deeelightful show!!

See ya there!!

CkeerZ,

470EDDY

Posts: 2540 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just for general information for you all coming to SCI and not to throw any cold water on our upcoming celebration and Convention. Omicron is here in Las Vegas and it will likely be found at the Convention. I know a butt load of people living here who have had it or have it currently. Most think that they just have a bad cold-Not! It was also at DSC and I just chatted with a PH tonight who was in Dallas and he mentioned to me the names of those that he knew there that came down with it there, including this particular PH and his entire contingent. He told me that they are about 10 days out since having it and should be fine. If you think you're getting a cold-you're not. Some of the obvious Omicron symptoms include: Sore throat, fever, body aches, diarrhea, tiredness, some congestion, runny nose, and for some an eye infection like conjunctivitis. Also, most develop a cough that lingers. I believe that the main trigger symptom will be the sore throat for most. I had it at Christmas time, along with my entire family of 21. 5 were subsequently tested for Covid and tested positive, so the rest of us knew that we had it too. I had been vaccinated with both shots, had the booster, had the original covid-19 and still got Omicron. Just be aware. And, as far as getting a rapid covid test here in Las Vegas goes, you'll likely be out of luck unless you can get it scheduled. Currently it's not easy to either find a rapid test or have it done on the spot. But if you've got some of the symptoms listed you're going to have to likely figure that it's Omicron. And, it's highly contagious. Just take as many precautions as you possibly can. I for one, have long stopped shaking hands and hugging people.

One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
Heading there tomorrow, can't wait !!

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 893 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Just for general information for you all coming to SCI and not to throw any cold water on our upcoming celebration and Convention. Omicron is here in Las Vegas and it will likely be found at the Convention. I know a butt load of people living here who have had it or have it currently. Most think that they just have a bad cold-Not! It was also at DSC and I just chatted with a PH tonight who was in Dallas and he mentioned to me the names of those that he knew there that came down with it there, including this particular PH and his entire contingent. He told me that they are about 10 days out since having it and should be fine. If you think you're getting a cold-you're not. Some of the obvious Omicron symptoms include: Sore throat, fever, body aches, diarrhea, tiredness, some congestion, runny nose, and for some an eye infection like conjunctivitis. Also, most develop a cough that lingers. I believe that the main trigger symptom will be the sore throat for most. I had it at Christmas time, along with my entire family of 21. 5 were subsequently tested for Covid and tested positive, so the rest of us knew that we had it too. I had been vaccinated with both shots, had the booster, had the original covid-19 and still got Omicron. Just be aware. And, as far as getting a rapid covid test here in Las Vegas goes, you'll likely be out of luck unless you can get it scheduled. Currently it's not easy to either find a rapid test or have it done on the spot. But if you've got some of the symptoms listed you're going to have to likely figure that it's Omicron. And, it's highly contagious. Just take as many precautions as you possibly can. I for one, have long stopped shaking hands and hugging people.

You are right . Let me add a caution. I had some of the symptoms mentioned above . I thought I had COVID . Long story short, I had pneumonia which can be bad as well.

If one gets sick, care needs to be exercised .

I wonder what precautions will be taken in Vegas?

Posts: 11907 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
Well I'm vaxx'd and had Omicron right after Christmas so I am hoping I dodge any further infection...

Upon returning home I have to get a covid test for my flight to Belize the 29th. Hopefully I will test negative :-)

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wife and daughter tested positive but I was Negative on Saturday. I took an at home test last night and am still negative. I am on my way.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1846 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Masks inside Mandalay
We’ll see tomorrow at the show but I assume it’ll be required?

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.

“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's what it says on the SCI Convention website:

"Covid-19 and Convention
Safari Club International monitors state and federal guidelines to ensure the health and safety of attendees of the 2022 Convention. Mandalay Bay Convention Center/MGM Resorts have provided details on their efforts in staff oversight and training, facilities preparation and cleaning, and food and beverage services. SCI is confident our host facilities will be a safe and healthy environment to enjoy the camaraderie and excitement of the 2022 Convention.

City of Las Vegas
“Vegas Smart” is about being mindful of your surroundings and thoughtful of others: keeping your distance, wearing mandatory face coverings, and washing your hands. After all, Las Vegas is doing everything it can to be smart so you can stay healthy and have fun. So, please, we need you to be smart as well."

One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
I will know tomorrow :-)

While I expect many will wear masks, I wonder if it will be mandatory.

Technically the convention is not a public event...

I personally will not wear one on the floor unless I am forced and even then someone is going to have tell me to put it on but I would fully support anyone that wants to wear one..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sat in a meeting last week where this was discussed.

What I recall is that the mask requirement applies. Mandalay can be fined for not enforcing it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We arrived yesterday. Unfortunately, masks are required.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
That sucks!

Guess I'll have a drink in my hands all day :-)

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Powell:
That sucks!

Same thought

“ Hávamál”

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Powell:
That sucks!

Excellent strategy!

Mike

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a Las Vegas mask mandate, and it seems everyone, including the Concrete Workers here at the LV Convention Center and in our hotel seem quite compliant??!!

I do take Malaria prophylaxis meds when I go to Africa??

We'll see what the flow looks like soon... there are empty booths on the show map??

ENJOY!!

470EDDY

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Will be at the convention all four days. Living in Vegas makes it easy! rotflmo Big Grin tu2

That's a high price to pay Smiler

Me and my friend will be there tomorrow and Friday.

Posts: 2638 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A vast majority are wearing masks if what I have seen is any indication. A fair number don’t have one . Some have them hanging below their nose and/or mouth.

One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
A vast majority are wearing masks if what I have seen is any indication. A fair number don’t have one . Some have them hanging below their nose and/or mouth.

Stealth mode - accidentally slips below nose.. :-)

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:

Unless it’s an N95 it’s pretty much window dressing anyway.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the exhibit hall, people are taking off their masks in droves. We have done the same.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Interesting . . . so the hottest topic at SCI is masked versus unmasked. Sign of the times I guess.

Mike

Posts: 21092 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ll change my opinion. I am not sure the majority are masked.

Seems to be a fair number of people .

Seems smaller .

There are a number of booths where the sign is up but the booths are empty . There are a few that are empty but have no signage .

The events last night raised a pile of money.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To mask, or not to mask? That is the question. Well the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune are plentiful in Las Vegas, so if you get out of there with only Covid consider your self lucky.

Have fun. Wish I was there.

Posts: 457 | Location: NW Nebraska | Registered: 07 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slim buttes:
To mask, or not to mask? That is the question. Well the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune are plentiful in Las Vegas, so if you get out of there with only Covid consider your self lucky.

Have fun. Wish I was there.

Agree.

Wish I was there also, but gotta pay for the next trip, I guess…

Posts: 10478 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
The afternoon auction went well.

many items sold for above the price provided, or the price to add additional hunter.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1563 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Myself, wife and daughter are flying in tomorrow.
I won’t wear a mask unless absolutely forced.

Looking forward to it. I have been a regular at DSC but haven’t been to SCI in decades.

We will be at the Friday and Saturday night banquets too.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1925 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first day observations:
We were pre registered and it took about 30 seconds for us to get our badges, SCI had baskets at registration containing small bottles of hand sanitizer for attendees, hardly anyone is wearing a mask, there is carpet on the floor this year, and the crowd is pretty light, exhibitors tell me they had a “welcome” party last night , pretty nice food and had open bar…big hit with them.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2723 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So far, so good. My take.

1. Crowd is perhaps a bit on the thin side, but it’s a Wednesday.

2. Already bought two silencers from the folks at Silencer Central. Great product, and they make it so easy.

3. Looking at the Rigby stalking rifle with great interest.

4. Picked out a beautiful Turkish walnut blank and been fitted for my Heym double rifle.

5. Had a lot of conversations with exhibitors.

6. Business seems brisk, given crowd size, especially for the gun and rifle makers and sellers.

6. Not yet managed to shop any hunts.

Pretty darn good first day, and it ain’t over yet. Cool

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did not make it to Vegas and SCI.

But my mug shot made it. Go to Mokore booth and you can see a poster of me and my Buffalo.

Will make it next year in Nashville.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All in all it seems pretty good. Things are well organized and pretty efficient.

There are a decent number of people for a Wednesday.

I am missing seeing some long time exhibitors. For example, Laser Shot.

Seems the gun exhibits are down considerably. Perhaps because of the Shot Show.

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
No masks for most
Nobody seems to care one way or the other
Fair enough to me
Got also another silencer for my Creedmore at Silence central
I’m already in their system so it took two minutes to close the deal
It’s been fun so far
Talked to Charl from Infinito and Arjun
Got me couple of days to decide
Now heading to Hussongs for dinner
See you all out there tomorrow even if don’t know most of you

“ Hávamál”

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The outfitters that I talked to were pleased with Wednesday. I went wearing a mask, but soon realized that most were not, so I took mine off. I noticed from the SCI Convention map that about 20 spots were empty before the convention started. There were a few others that had been earmarked for exhibitors but were empty. Maybe Covid struck earlier, either at Dallas or before they were able to leave for the Convention. I know of at least one couple that had planned on coming from Ohio, but were derailed by airline issues I was told. Saw Larry Shores and his lovely wife today and chatted with them for a bit. I too, talked with Charl. I need to look Arjun up tomorrow. Damn, Milan, I met you at Charl's booth, but didn't realize you were boarkiller. Now I have put a name with a face. Charl said that you were on AR as well, but said that you went on AR by Milan-Wrong! rotflmo Also talked with Mark Young and WVFred from AR. All in all, very smooth. Using the SCI I-phone Convention app was very helpful as well. tu2