Tools

SCI
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
The outfitters that I talked to were pleased with Wednesday. I went wearing a mask, but soon realized that most were not, so I took mine off. I noticed from the SCI Convention map that about 20 spots were empty before the convention started. There were a few others that had been earmarked for exhibitors but were empty. Maybe Covid struck earlier, either at Dallas or before they were able to leave for the Convention. I know of at least one couple that had planned on coming from Ohio, but were derailed by airline issues I was told. Saw Larry Shores and his lovely wife today and chatted with them for a bit. I too, talked with Charl. I need to look Arjun up tomorrow. Damn, Milan, I met you at Charl's booth, but didn't realize you were boarkiller. Now I have put a name with a face. Charl said that you were on AR as well, but said that you went on AR by Milan-Wrong! rotflmo Also talked with Mark Young and WVFred from AR. All in all, very smooth. Using the SCI I-phone Convention app was very helpful as well. tu2

Yes we met
Awesome
Good to put faces on the map

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We went to the evening banquet last night and the line to enter the banquet hall was incredible, at least 200 and maybe 300 yards long at one entry (there were others but not as long). Tables were numbered and at least went to 160, each with 10 seats. All were full and hotel staff added another 15 or 20 tables.
There were a few VIP tables as well, I’d guess there were at least 1700-1800 people in the room. I’ll see if I can get an “official” number.
Larry the Cable Guy was hilarious and I suspect he was part of the attraction, wise choice for entertainment and the auction was prior to the entertainment and seemed to go really well, some North American hunts and fishing trips went well over value, quite a few other items sold for very near value. Nothing sold cheap, just my observations.
Also, a couple of awards were given…PH of the Year and the Volunteer of the Year Award, which went to Larry Shores for his efforts in the “Share the Impact” initiative to financially help outfitters during the beginnings of the Covid thing. Well deserved and many AR guys supported this. I was aware this was going to happen and thought about having a very nice sash made up for him But didn’t have the balls to do it Wink.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2744 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats Larry

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Congrats Larry

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.

“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Yes, congrats Larry! tu2 tu2 tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
We went to the evening banquet last night and the line to enter the banquet hall was incredible, at least 200 and maybe 300 yards long at one entry (there were others but not as long). Tables were numbered and at least went to 160, each with 10 seats. All were full and hotel staff added another 15 or 20 tables.
There were a few VIP tables as well, I’d guess there were at least 1700-1800 people in the room. I’ll see if I can get an “official” number.
Larry the Cable Guy was hilarious and I suspect he was part of the attraction, wise choice for entertainment and the auction was prior to the entertainment and seemed to go really well, some North American hunts and fishing trips went well over value, quite a few other items sold for very near value. Nothing sold cheap, just my observations.
Also, a couple of awards were given…PH of the Year and the Volunteer of the Year Award, which went to Larry Shores for his efforts in the “Share the Impact” initiative to financially help outfitters during the beginnings of the Covid thing. Well deserved and many AR guys supported this. I was aware this was going to happen and thought about having a very nice sash made up for him But didn’t have the balls to do it Wink.

That would have been hysterical.

While Larry the Cable Guy was funny, the funniest moment of the night (to me) was a text
I got from Karl’s wife. She said you mean I just spent $300 to hear you say 20 words .

Yes, many here on AR supported Share the Impact and the fund raising efforts for Phillip Smythe’s wife . It is much appreciated.

Posts: 11956 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, and well deserved for all you did.

Posts: 752 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, Larry.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Well done and congratulations, Larry!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13143 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Wow Larry we have a winner on AR.

You have to admire a guy who uses a few words to make a point.

Wonderful projects that you have supported over the years, your style makes a difference.

Now, we do need pictures after Karl provides you the sash & with ribbon/banner. Without the pictures it never happen, or so the story goes.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1574 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At least 15 of those 20 words were Larry thanking his wife for putting up with him! A very well deserved award for Larry.

All in all an excellent show so far. The board meeting this morning affirmed both a commitment to supporting programs which allow us to continue to hunt as well as the outfitters and exhibitors which support that mission. Definitely the best I’ve felt about SCI in a few years.

Posts: 1426 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It has been quite the event thus far. Traffic was up today. Considerably . All those I spoke with have done well. I think the changes have been welcomed.

Got to meet Scott Powell today . We had lunch with Michael Robinson and his lovely wife.

There have been a few glitches . There was some kind of software problem which caused a delay in the function last night . Laird was about to bite nails in half. It was hysterical to stand around and listen to the two governors talking.

Some complaints about the food which is a non SCI problem.

Posts: 11956 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The auctions thus far have done well. Exceeded expectations.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats Larry

As always thanks for everything you do!

Posts: 1862 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It has been quite the event thus far. Traffic was up today. Considerably . All those I spoke with have done well. I think the changes have been welcomed.

Yes indeed! Busy day today at the Convention! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Today (Thursday) seemed pretty busy? Outfitters I visited with are happy. Many, many people left Dallas with covid. Not serious for most, entire crew got some were infected.
I was told that mask requirements will be more strictly enforced Friday and Saturday.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2744 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I might be able to make the sash thing happen Wink

Karl Evans

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:

Karl,

Try to double down with the “World Hunter” ring which looks like a Super Bowl ring.

Sorry, I just had to.

It’s still awesome Larry “In the Shadows” Shores won the award he deserved.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
It was wonderful for us to see and break bread again with Larry and the charming Mrs. Shores, and to congratulate Larry in person on his well-deserved best volunteer award.

I am doing my personal best to make this convention a success.

Last night, I bid (and bid, and bid) on and won a live auction to hunt with Club Faune in Cameroon, then met with Jean-Pierre Bernon this morning to expand and lengthen the hunt. Western savanna buffalo, Lord Derby eland and more. It will be an entirely new experience for us.

Then I booked another hunt for bison in Montana, with the Montana Hunting Company. I will use my C. Sharps rifle, which is being built now and should be finished in time.

Finally, I ordered a Rigby stalking rifle in .275 Rigby from the fine folks at John Rigby & Co. Ltd.

I need to quit shopping and get out of here! Big Grin

Crowd is building and business seems strong.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13385 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I need to quit shopping and get out of here!

rotflmo clap rotflmo You're hopeless, Mike! rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Just remember, they don’t bury people with money anymore …

“ Hávamál”

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
It was wonderful for us to see and break bread again with Larry and the charming Mrs. Shores, and to congratulate Larry in person on his well-deserved best volunteer award.

I am doing my personal best to make this convention a success.

Last night, I bid (and bid, and bid) on and won a live auction to hunt with Club Faune in Cameroon, then met with Jean-Pierre Bernon this morning to expand and lengthen the hunt. Western savanna buffalo, Lord Derby eland and more. It will be an entirely new experience for us.

Then I booked another hunt for bison in Montana, with the Montana Hunting Company. I will use my C. Sharps rifle, which is being built now and should be finished in time.

Finally, I ordered a Rigby stalking rifle in .275 Rigby from the fine folks at John Rigby & Co. Ltd.

I need to quit shopping and get out of here! Big Grin

Crowd is building and business seems strong.

Congrats Mike. Fine calibre.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9867 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DCS Member:
quote:

Karl,

Try to double down with the “World Hunter” ring which looks like a Super Bowl ring.

Sorry, I just had to.

It’s still awesome Larry “In the Shadows” Shores won the award he deserved.

Hmmmmm. Karl and I are going quail hunting soon. If I get a sash, I am sure he won’t need any shells . I am sure I can arrange for him to not see a single bird. rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hmmmmm. Karl and I are going quail hunting soon. If I get a sash, I am sure he won’t need any shells . I am sure I can arrange for him to not see a single bird. rotflmo

Pretty sure there will be no sash (at least before the quail hunt Wink)

Karl Evans

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Mr. Shores! You do a lot for the Hunting/Guiding community. Well deserved.

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1098 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/...chance-kill-26013838

Link to article and photos of show. EXCLUSIVE: Trophy hunters offer chance to kill lion for £73,000 on sick safari trip
The annual Safari Club International Convention, which celebrated its 50th anniversary this year, boasts being the world's biggest trade for trophy killers committed to conservation

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9363 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife saw a large truck with a huge poster of CECIL THE LION on it... "This is the result of trophy hunting... 50 YEARS SAFARI CLUB HUNTERS"... round and round, all over town!!

470EDDY

Posts: 2559 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Attendance today seemed substantially more significant.

Based on direct observation, and much anecdotal evidence, lots of business, including hunting bookings, was being conducted.

Mostly by maskless people sick and tired of never-ending governmental nonsense and unleashing vast quantities of pent-up demand.

Regarding the Daily Moron article posted above by Kathi, I heard today from a reliable source that National Geographic has informed SCI that they will be putting together a positive piece looking at hunting as conservation.

About time!

I made the risky move of talking to the Silencer Central guys again about another one in pistol size. Guess what happened.

I also spoke at some length today with CMS about buffalo hunting later this year in Zimbabwe, and with my banker about a second mortgage.

Stay tuned. Big Grin

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree about the attendance .

Alain Smith’s voice is about gone . My good friend Nick Hoffman replaced Jim Shockley last night . Did a great job. We had a blast hanging out .

The food at the event last night was okay but it was not served individually. This gave us a bit of COVID concern .

All seem to be happier with SCI this year compared to years past . There are alway going to be some hiccups somewhere. My biggest problem is that is a damn long way from our room to the convention. I’ll bet a half mile one way . I am waking 2-3 miles a day just going to and from.

I have bought some suppressors, some knives and some ammo holders for bird hunting .

I am trying to get info on a Greenland muskox/caribou hunt. I am speaking with a Zambian about sitatunga , lechwe, buff and croc. I am speaking with some Mongols about a high Altai argali . As we were talking, Larry Potterfield’s wife walked by. My wife knows her . Brenda told us she had hunted all three argali with the same company . Loved it . I see a visit to Mongolia in my future.

Saw one of my guides from my last Alaska sheep hunt . It was good catching up.

We are going shooting tomorrow morning .

One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:

Got to meet Scott Powell today . We had lunch with Michael Robinson and his lovely wife.

There have been a few glitches . There was some kind of software problem which caused a delay in the function last night . Laird was about to bite nails in half. It was hysterical to stand around and listen to the two governors talking.

Some complaints about the food which is a non SCI problem.

Larry - Wonderful to meet you and your wife yesterday!! Congratulations on the award!

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 893 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
By 11am on Thursday (my first day) I had booked a Marco Polo hunt in Tajikistan with Gregg Brownlee and a Mule Deer hunt in Sonora with Rom Dryden (Rincon Outfitters).

Thanks to Dogcat for the info and feedback on Greg’s hunt! Really confirmed my comfort level - Thanks Ross!

Today I booked an Argentina hunt with Caza Y Safaris for my son and I.

Who’s knows what tomorrow will bring :-). Off to see Don Jr speak tonite!![FLASH_VIDEO] [/FLASH_VIDEO]

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
Attendance today seemed substantially more significant.

Based on direct observation, and much anecdotal evidence, lots of business, including hunting bookings, was being conducted.

Mostly by maskless people sick and tired of never-ending governmental nonsense and unleashing vast quantities of pent-up demand.

Regarding the Daily Moron article posted above by Kathi, I heard today from a reliable source that National Geographic has informed SCI that they will be putting together a positive piece looking at hunting as conservation.

About time!

I made the risky move of talking to the Silencer Central guys again about another one in pistol size. Guess what happened.

I also spoke at some length today with CMS about buffalo hunting later this year in Zimbabwe, and with my banker about a second mortgage.

Stay tuned. Big Grin

The silencer central guys got me too LOL!! I think tomorrow I am going to pull the the trigger on one :-)

Checked out the new Swarovski range finding binoculars - pretty sweet!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My biggest problem is that is a damn long way from our room to the convention. I’ll bet a half mile one way. I am waking 2-3 miles a day just going to and from.

I will second that, Larry!

I generally don’t walk this far anywhere on any given day unless I am carrying a rifle and chasing something!

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amen about the walking, gentlemen! Nice to have the big SCI Baobab Lounge and padded chairs! The padded couches and chairs here and there have also come in useful. Big Grin It was indeed another busy day and everyone that I spoke with seemed very happy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The benches scattered around the hall were nice also.

One thing I didn't like, the SCI Directory didn't have booth numbers. It was just a list of exhibitors.

I had a great time today. The floor actually seemed to get a little crowded during the middle of the day. Most of the outfitters said they were selling a lot of hunts. I had several outfitters tell me that this year's Dallas and SCI shows were their best ever. With fewer tire kickers plugging up the floor, they were able to sell more hunts to real buyers.

I bought a mexico mule deer hunt for 2022-2023 season, and close to buying another mexico mule deer for the 2023-2024 season. Also bought a rifle and a magazine subscription.

Great show, I wish I had another day.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1284 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suspect COVID has adversely affected attendance. At the event tonight, in our immediate area, there were at least 10
Reserved tables complete with name tags that had no one sitting at them.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
I agree about the attendance .

Alain Smith’s voice is about gone . My good friend Nick Hoffman replaced Jim Shockley last night . Did a great job. We had a blast hanging out .

The food at the event last night was okay but it was not served individually. This gave us a bit of COVID concern .

All seem to be happier with SCI this year compared to years past . There are alway going to be some hiccups somewhere. My biggest problem is that is a damn long way from our room to the convention. I’ll bet a half mile one way . I am waking 2-3 miles a day just going to and from.

I have bought some suppressors, some knives and some ammo holders for bird hunting .

I am trying to get info on a Greenland muskox/caribou hunt. I am speaking with a Zambian about sitatunga , lechwe, buff and croc. I am speaking with some Mongols about a high Altai argali . As we were talking, Larry Potterfield’s wife walked by. My wife knows her . Brenda told us she had hunted all three argali with the same company . Loved it . I see a visit to Mongolia in my future.

Saw one of my guides from my last Alaska sheep hunt . It was good catching up.

We are going shooting tomorrow morning .

Nick Hoffman hosts one of the shows I really enjoy. He really does love what he does, but who can blame him? His shows, Dave’s Safari Classics productions, This is Africa, and some Shockey shows are the ones I will watch. I enjoyed the Rann and Makris productions, but I believe they are gone.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of The BLB
posted Hide Post
Larry- what was your take on Don Jr? I was there yesterday but could not stay today. Thanks.

Beau

Posts: 79 | Location: Bay Area, California | Registered: 07 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The BLB:
Larry- what was your take on Don Jr? I was there yesterday but could not stay today. Thanks.

He is a great speaker . Definitely knows how to work an audience .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
One thing I didn't like, the SCI Directory didn't have booth numbers. It was just a list of exhibitors.

That was a complaint that I heard from many. However, if you downloaded the SCI Convention app to your I-phone, it was very quick and easy to find out where anyone was. Moreover, a number of the exhibitors told me that they had been relocated on the convention floor, so the app was able to show the current and correct locations. Plus, there were constant reminders and updates of information, a digital map of the convention and many other useful things on the app. I helped an older couple get it downloaded on their phone so they could use it. They were happy about that, once I showed them what they could do. Among purchasing many things today, I purchased John Banovich's book: "King of Beasts", and I was fortunate to have him personally sign it for me. The book contains a significant number of John's paintings. To me it is worth 3-4 times the $60 asking price. tu2 One of the most amazing booths at the Convention is Kanati Studios, LLC. They will replicate your lion, elephant, rhino or polar bear from a photo. The polar bears and the lion that they had replicated and that were on display were simply mind boggling! Eeker And, the elephant and rhino were outstanding as well. Check it out if you haven't done so. Big Grin