New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tholo Safaris
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Couple of friends and I are contemplating a plains game only trip in 2016 and Tholo Safaris in Botswana came up. It is run by a nice guy named Clive Eaton (I met him in Dallas.) Has anyone on here hunted with them and if so what were your impressions?

I know Botswana is done at least for now for dangerous game but his plains game looks good and I would love to take a side trip to the Okavanago Delta, coming or going.

Any thoughts?

Dick Gunn

“You must always stop and roll in the good stuff;
it may not smell this way tomorrow.”

Lucy, a long deceased Basset Hound

"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will be hunting with them June 10th to 20th this year and will let you know. I have heard nothing but good things about them.

Posts: 344 | Location: Reno, Nevada | Registered: 05 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Went in 12 with my son.

Drove to ATL day before departure, stayed at Marriott near the airport, ATL to JNB via Delta, overnighted at Africa Sky
They got us thru SAPS, good dinner, nice room, got us (and our guns!) out the next morning to Maun via Air Botswana, picked up in Maun by our PH, drove to Tholo, hunted for 11 days, killed all kinds of critters, flew home Maun-JNB-ATL with a 6 hour delay at Tambo which let us shop for the girls back home. Got to ATL, got in truck, drove four hours home.

If I was leaving tomorrow, I would do the exact same thing.

Great place
Great time
Great food
Great service
More animals than you can shake a stick at.

You will not be disappointed.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
I leave for Tholo tomorrow with a group o 6 more guys. I will post some updates. If you guys would like to join our group for next year, contact me. I have a pretty good deal for the hunt.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are a group of five of us going. Quick question for those who have gone there before - what's the best way to connect from Joberg and get to Tholo?

We are looking at SAA Skylink, Air Botswana (Although they appear from their website to not handle ammunition but do take firearms).

Also looking at chartering although obviously more expensive but no worries about luggage or more importantly guns and ammo making the flights.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Posts: 344 | Location: Reno, Nevada | Registered: 05 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
My wife and I will be there the last 2 weeks of May.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
My top plainsgame choice in Africa.

Posts: 6250 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We flew SAA Airlink from Jo'burg to Maun last September, and it was too easy. All good. You'll love the Okavango Delta, too! Tholo has an excellent reputation. With Kanana out of action, I'm hoping to return to Botswana and hunt at Tholo with Jason Bridger in 2016.

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is Kanana officially done?

Back to cattle?

Posts: 1853 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Biddleman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Safari2:

Back to cattle?

Damn shame if it is. I would hunt with Jason Bridger again in a heart beat.

Posts: 134 | Location: Wrightsville, PA | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted with Tholo in 2010 and had a great time. Clive and his wife hosted me in thier home a couple of times during my hunt. My camp was quite comfortable and the food was great. His staff were first rate. Not sure if Riann is still a PH but he made my hunt very worthwhile - eight trophies in ten days. Highly recommended.
John

Posts: 154 | Location: Ohio, USA | Registered: 10 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
you can not do better than this bunch

best plains game and best hunt for the money

nice camps

plus dick fly's an Aztec what could go wrong

Anyway it matters not, because my experience always has been that of---- a loss of snot and enamel on both sides of the 458 Win----

Posts: 1016 | Location: SLC Utah  | Registered: 13 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biddleman:
quote:
Originally posted by Safari2:

Back to cattle?

Damn shame if it is. I would hunt with Jason Bridger again in a heart beat.

Jason is hunting at Tholo - I will try and make a trip there this year or next.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm joining Tim Herald and his group and leaving for Tholo tomorrow. I have wanted to hunt this property for some time and really looking forward to it.

Cheers,

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1925 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BEGNO:
I'm joining Tim Herald and his group and leaving for Tholo tomorrow. I have wanted to hunt this property for some time and really looking forward to it.

Cheers,

Butch is the community coffee and Tony Chachere packed? I bought my Tony Chachere for Zim. I leave on Wednesday.

Save a few eland for me and tell Jason hi.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jaglav:
There are a group of five of us going. Quick question for those who have gone there before - what's the best way to connect from Joberg and get to Tholo?

We are looking at SAA Skylink, Air Botswana (Although they appear from their website to not handle ammunition but do take firearms).

Also looking at chartering although obviously more expensive but no worries about luggage or more importantly guns and ammo making the flights.

Thanks in advance for any input.

I would email Steve with TWG and ask him.

I booked ATL to JNB with miles myself and Steve got me from JNB to Maun via Air Botswana. Ammo had to be in its own locked case. I used a Pelican without problem. But that was in 2012.

Botswana charges a import duty per round. The custom agent in Maun asked me the US value of the ammo and calculated the tax. If I go again, I will get some really cheap price tags and put on the ammo boxes. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Mike,

Spot on. 2 pound bag of Community coffee dark roast and Tony's packed and ready to go.
Good luck in Zim.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1925 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Butch,

Be safe and good luck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Best fenced PG hunting I've experienced. Superb for big kudu and Cape eland.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12842 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can't go wrong with Tholo, I've been there and hope to return. Clive and Linda are great people and run a first class operation.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Best fenced PG hunting I've experienced. Superb for big kudu and Cape eland.

Mark

I was amazed to see a grown kudu jump through the fence as if it wasn't there. A jump and just a turn of his head and he was through.

Definitely modified my understanding of 'fences' in Africa.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tholo is a great outfit and Clive runs a first class operation!

One of Us
Picture of Safaris Botswana Bound
posted Hide Post
Clive and Linda , and Kanana were amongst the first game farms in Botswana , so the game farm is well established and has plenty of game , Jason has joined Clive and so one can expect first class hunting. The best way to travel to the Ghanzi district is on SAA airlink or Airbotswana to Maun and then either drive or charter to Ghanzi.
Bear in mind gun permits must be aquired in Botswana ( Clive will organize) and South Africa - recommend Anne from Air 2000 to sort out for you a hassle free experience through OTI. Kwando Safaris is highly recommended to organize your add on trips to the Okavanago or Chobe as they are an old hunting company that has adapted to photo based Tourism , Wilderness Safaris have excellent camps , both are on internet - AVOID - Savuti or Linyanti as they are owned by Dereck Joubert a hardend anti hunter - do your research before supporting photo camps as you may be funding anti hunting owners who are behind the closure of hunting in Botswana concessions. Debbie Peak at Mochaba handles most of the trophy export. An excellent add on trip is fishing in the Delta - recommend Nxumerseri Fishing camp also on internet - excellent tiger and bream fishing in the heart of the swamps - incredible birds , crocs and hippo as well as chance of elephant sighting higher up near red cliffs. Have a great stay in Botswana .

Posts: 473 | Location: Botswana | Registered: 29 October 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
hunted with them in 2014 and would do it again in a heartbeat......no really when are you going can I come along.. haha email me with any questions
hnterfl@hotmail.com

Posts: 17 | Location: western USA | Registered: 01 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunting For Adventure
posted Hide Post
Great outfit. I booked a lot of folks to Kanana with Jason and now with Tholo. I'll be there in a couple of months.

Tom Addleman
tom@dirtnapgear.com

Posts: 1161 | Location: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
mark young it is fence hunting like the state of Wyoming is fenced off from Utah

what don't you get a commission there

Anyway it matters not, because my experience always has been that of---- a loss of snot and enamel on both sides of the 458 Win----

Posts: 1016 | Location: SLC Utah  | Registered: 13 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stradling,

I don't understand your comment. I have nothing but praise for Clive, his operation and recommend them on a regular basis. As I said it is the best fenced PG hunting I've experienced and I've been fortunate to hunt quite a few fenced and unfenced places.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12842 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote