Find
Notify
Tools

SCI acquires Texas Trophy Hunters
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted
Washington, D.C. - (January 16, 2020) - Safari Club International, the leader in defending the freedom to hunt and promoting wildlife conservation worldwide, is excited to announce it has entered into an agreement to purchase Texas Trophy Hunters Association. The acquisition is expected to close at the SCI Convention in Reno, Nevada next month.

"This acquisition is part of SCI's strategic plan to enhance the organization's ability to help protect the freedom to hunt worldwide," said SCI CEO Laird Hamberlin. "Since I was hired less than a year ago, we have shored-up internal operations and procedures. Now we are reaching out to other opportunities to position SCI for expansion in the hunting world and to defeat efforts by anti-hunters to deny everyone the freedom to hunt."

Founded in 1975, TTHA will celebrate its 45th anniversary this year as the state's leading organization in promoting, protecting and preserving the Texas hunting heritage for future generations. TTHA will continue to operate independently as Texas Trophy Hunters Association with its members and corporate partners maintaining their full benefits. In the near term, SCI will expand its already legendary hunting show operations via the three Hunters Extravaganzas that TTHA has developed in the Lone Star State. SCI's annual convention has been the best hunting show in the world for nearly 50 years.

"SCI's future rests on four solid pillars. They are Membership, Convention, Advocacy and Conservation," Hamberlin noted. "This acquisition strengthens all four of those pillars, as will additional internal and external expansions in the future."

Other elements of TTHA will be integrated into the SCI structure. Both TTHA and SCI members and corporate partners can look forward to greater benefits from their association with the newly combined organization.

"With SCI's resources and status in the world, hunters in Texas and elsewhere will benefit from this transaction," said Dave Keith, President and CEO of TTHA. "Combining these two dynamic organizations will strengthen the entire hunting community, which will help save hunting for future generations and result in even more effective wildlife conservation. I am proud to be a part of this momentous agreement."

"SCI recognizes that to accomplish our mission to protect the freedom to hunt and promote the conservation of wildlife worldwide that we need to expand our size and enhance our effectiveness," said SCI President Steve Skold. "The challenges to hunting and hunters in today's world demand a combination of both bold and prudent actions. This acquisition is the first in a series of steps forward as we leverage our assets to assure a bright future for the hunting culture worldwide."

Posts: 752 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And this means exactly what???

Texas Trophy Hunters is a group that is after mega antlers.... I was a member many years ago and lost total interest due to the direction it was heading (high fence 200" - 300" whitetails). I suppose it is more than that now, but why in the world would SCI think this is a good match???

Posts: 10146 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
SCI thinks its a good match because--

Texas Trophy Hunters is a group that is after mega antlers

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
My three guesses are: (1) they are trying to expand to Bubba deer hunting crowd and doing it by buying into a bubba deer hunting group; (2) they want the revenue from the 3 Texas shows; (3) both.

Posts: 752 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wesheltonj:
My three guesses are: (1) they are trying to expand to Bubba deer hunting crowd and doing it by buying into a bubba deer hunting group; (2) they want the revenue from the 3 Texas shows; (3) both.

You ain’t gotta guess, it’s right there in black and white: “ SCI's future rests on four solid pillars. They are Membership, Convention, Advocacy and Conservation,...”

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
quote:

You ain’t gotta guess, it’s right there in black and white: “ SCI's future rests on four solid pillars. They are Membership, Convention, Advocacy and Conservation,...”

SCIs four pillars are money, money, money and money.......

Posts: 41768 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
They do not want to compete with anyone claiming their dicks are bigger! clap

Perfect match, if you ask me!

The stupidity of SCI never ceases to amazes me!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66927 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
A match made in heaven it seems.....

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13139 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
SCI is such a shit-wad organization. They will buy TTH, sell the hunts to make more money, charge their fees to list animals taken in the book for more money, and breed trophy animals behind high fences and guarantee record book entries.
C

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not sure of the rationale. It seems to me the logical reason is to appeal the a group of hunters which SCI does not currently appeal to.

Posts: 11955 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I'm willing to bet that the price to attend the TTHA show/convention will soon go up.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12536 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Great opportunity to get into a market they have had a tough time penetrating in the past. They get access to a large contingent of Lone Star state hunters and now can get their message out to that crowd. DSC has been too formidable to allow them to hold their convention here. (remember when the SCI crowd was contemplating holding the convention in Dallas). Access, I think it's all about access... big antlers, not so much.

Three conventions a year in Houston, Fort Worth and SanAntonio? Bingo!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
SCI is such a shit-wad organization. They will buy TTH, sell the hunts to make more money, charge their fees to list animals taken in the book for more money, and breed trophy animals behind high fences and guarantee record book entries.
C

The two were made for each other......two peas in a pod, as they're both pathetic organizations.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
Great opportunity to get into a market they have had a tough time penetrating in the past. They get access to a large contingent of Lone Star state hunters and now can get their message out to that crowd. DSC has been too formidable to allow them to hold their convention here. (remember when the SCI crowd was contemplating holding the convention in Dallas). Access, I think it's all about access... big antlers, not so much.

Three conventions a year in Houston, Fort Worth and SanAntonio? Bingo!

The three "conventions", or Hunter's Extravaganza's as they're known, are a far cry from a "convention". They are a high fence breeder/deer feeder/deer blind/cater to the lardazzzed lawyer types who happen to hunt type of show. It's gone way downhill over the years and isn't worth the effort to attend anymore already.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
No big deal for me. I don't support either.

Posts: 598 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been a member of the TTH for years. I find the magazine valuable as a source of equipment for my place. Things that I would not find locally.

Posts: 11955 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At one point I was a member of both organizations. I think it’s a perfect match.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why does TTH want to be acquired by SCI? They are doing quite well on their own. Next thing you know SCI will be acquiring the NRA.

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder how much SCI paid for this accusation With all the PR and Conservation initiatives that need funding right now.

Posts: 10821 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
That’s money that could have been used proving SCI really is first for hunters.....another ego acquisition.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13139 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
A thought:

Did TTH have any connections with SCI prior to the sale?

Did SCI buy TTH from one of its own members or officers? To enrich the owner, if he was a member on the board of SCI, would be a conflict.

Would not be the first time something like this has happened in the business world. Just wonderin'.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
A thought:

Did TTH have any connections with SCI prior to the sale?

Did SCI buy TTH from one of its own members or officers? To enrich the owner, if he was a member on the boars of SCI, would be a conflict.

Would not be the first time something like this has happened in the business world. Just wonderin'.
Cal

Valid question but I think the answer is no.

one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
This reminds me of when K-Mart bought Sears.

The best analogy was "Tie two drunks together to see if they can now walk in a straight line".

0351 USMC

Posts: 1531 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
The three "conventions", or Hunter's Extravaganza's as they're known, are a far cry from a "convention". They are a high fence breeder/deer feeder/deer blind/cater to the lardazzzed lawyer types who happen to hunt type of show. It's gone way downhill over the years and isn't worth the effort to attend anymore already.

Call them what you want but each time I have gone to one of the San Antonio or Houston shows, conventions, whatever you want to call them, the aisles are shoulder to shoulder. Lots of people there and many are spending money. High fence ranches ARE there but so are low fence operations, African outfitters and equipment manufacturers. I am not a member of either group but don't really understand the distaste for any group that stands up for hunter's rights.

From an acquisition standpoint, if you look at the economics to acquire customers, it's a very expensive endeavor to advertise enough to bring a new member into the fold. A shotgun approach to marketing to be sure. If you can acquire 20 or 50 thousand members by buying another association it might not be a bad spend. Highest and best use of cash? Maybe not, but time will tell. The shows and organization made enough money for Jerry Johnston to buy a very nice ranch in south Texas and make a good living since 1975... so it will probably be accretive to SCI in the future.

As far as rumors concerning buying from friends or insider deals, we should hold ourselves to the mantra of speak only the truth or what we know to be fact. Rumor mongering is for old lady's quilting circles.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Colorado Bob:
No big deal for me. I don't support either.

Same here, nor will I ever belong to these.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
For years among the criticisms laid at SCI's feet were that the organization was not inclusive enough, that their moniker was pretentious to many hunters and that by an apparent focus on African hunting and international big game hunting they came across as elitist to the average deer or duck hunter. So they make a move seemingly in the direction of expanding the fold and being more inclusive of the broader hunting community and the general reaction is negative. Talk about damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Mike

Posts: 21200 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
For years among the criticisms laid at SCI's feet were that the organization was not inclusive enough, that their moniker was pretentious to many hunters and that by an apparent focus on African hunting and international big game hunting they came across as elitist to the average deer or duck hunter. So they make a move seemingly in the direction of expanding the fold and being more inclusive of the broader hunting community and the general reaction is negative. Talk about damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Bingo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting that 50% of the comments on the TTH website make references to SCI being for the rich.

One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
Would not Buckmasters have a larger base if you wanted to make inroads to Bubba Deer Hunter?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Would not Buckmasters have a larger base if you wanted to make inroads to Bubba Deer Hunter?

Who knows? Maybe Buckmasters isn’t for sale.

This seems like a positive move to me. I am perplexed by the response.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Larry,

It's popular here on AR to bash all things SCI.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12864 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Larry,

It's popular here on AR to bash all things SCI.

Mark

. . . cleaned it up for you Mark.

Mike

Posts: 21200 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
clap

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12864 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
Interesting that 50% of the comments on the TTH website make references to SCI being for the rich.

What's interesting to me is the one's who can't see SCI for what it is. BTW, at any of the TTHA Hunter's Extravaganza shows a guy can take his high fenced "trophies" (low fenced fair chase too for that matter) in to have them scored and entered in a contest, and take another hero shot at the same venue. Like I say, lardazzzzzed lawyer type hunter's dream.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are a number of things about the acquisition that make sense if the vitriol is put aside for a moment. Outdoor show season is in winter in the U.S., and Reno has both accessibility and weather issues. Las Vegas lacks both those problems, but a lot of vendors did not like the prices and the union setup requirement. Making matters worse is the law now in place in Nevada that prohibits a lot of trade in African animal parts, which definitely affects many vendors, and is a near-impossible nightmare for anyone trying to sort out what is legal and what is not. There were complaints lodged by the antis at a previous convention, but fortunately the Nevada AG stated the opinion that the law was not passed for that purpose, and could not possibly be understood or complied with by the time of the convention. That said, Nevada is no longer a viable place for an international hunting convention. By acquiring TTH, SCI is out of Nevada, and gets three established conventions in Texas, which has been a difficult market for them to get into, given the long-time presence of DSC, and HSC. It also gives them access to a class of hunters that they would not normally get. Time will tell if the move is a good one, and if any of the potential chicanery mentioned by others here is true. Personally, I plan to take a wait and see attitude.

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
abit surprised HSC is not involved in some manner-
thought their big chief was deeply involved with TTH

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know if the TTHA members had any say in the matter? I know it was started and owned by a Jerry Johnston at some point who made a lot of money off of it. I don’t know if they have bylaws or anything like DSC. I was a TTHA for a few years, but only because my father wanted the magazine, and that was all I got other than spam emails and other vendor catalogs.

I know DSC always send bylaw amendments and ballots to members every year, but not every club works like DSC.

I suppose I was an SCI member for a bit, because of involvement in the local chapter. In that time, I only received “Safari” and the local chapter newsletter.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SCI and Texas deer farmers? No similarity there at all.

Are you saying SCI will move quickly to absorb the turkey hunters next?

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Navaluk:

Yes.

And we are going to have INNER CIRCLES of TURKEYS too!

Bloody hell, this is absolutely hilarious! rotflmo

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66927 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Originally posted by Navaluk:

Yes.

And we are going to have INNER CIRCLES of TURKEYS too!

Bloody hell, this is absolutely hilarious! rotflmo

……………………...……………. jumping

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote