New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is a tuffpak the answer?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I usually pull the bolt, wrap it in a rag and stuff it into a shoe in the Tuffpak. Protects against a broken stock from taking a blow on the bolt handle.

Posts: 1978 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
Take the bolt out of your rifles fellas. The first 4 guys that went ahead of me all had the bolts in their rifles and the officer gave them hell.

Why was the officer giving them a hard time? I don't know of any regulation requiring bolts be out of the receivers. But then, a) I don't know everything, and b) it's Atlanta.

I lived in Atlanta for almost 30 years before moving to Florida and hated even the thought of going in or out of Hartsfield-Jackson.

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1542 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
it is not in the regs , however,
hear of many running into the bolt out demands it lately

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I am used to my rifle being tightly wedged into a custom cut foam. In the Tuffpak the rifles are in soft cases but there is room for them to flop around a bit. The way baggage people toss stuff around...the looseness worries me a little. Is this not a problem? It seems a stock could get broken or a scope knocked off easily. Am I wrong?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36417 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take advantage of the extra room, with jackets, extra clothing, boots, etc. They keep the rifle(s) protected as well.

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Agreed but with a max weight of 50 lbs...18 for the case, 20 for 2 soft cased rifles, that only leaves 12 lbs for extra filler items.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36417 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
Agreed but with a max weight of 50 lbs...18 for the case, 20 for 2 soft cased rifles, that only leaves 12 lbs for extra filler items.

12 lbs would be a lot clothing.

Pelican's website says their 1750 case weighs 25.57 pounds with the foam, so much less room than the tuffpak.

I also have an Americase 2 rifle aluminum case. It weight 22 pounds.

I think 18 pounds for a 2 rifle case is fairly light.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1281 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am used to my rifle being tightly wedged into a custom cut foam. In the Tuffpak the rifles are in soft cases but there is room for them to flop around a bit. The way baggage people toss stuff around...the looseness worries me a little. Is this not a problem? It seems a stock could get broken or a scope knocked off easily. Am I wrong?

I've seen scopes get damaged in tuff pak cases. The eyepiece was sheared off of my wife's rifle when we went to Namibia.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Yeah...my current choice case is a Starlight (not Pelican as I stated above). I just weighed it and it weighs 23.35 lbs.

I am going to get a Tuffpak and try it.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lane
I haven't been disappointed with either of the Tuffpaks and have used them over the past 6 trips.
Dang near indestructable. Plenty of room to pack around the rifles with softer stuff for padding.

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1094 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
My goal is to take all the kit I like to have with 2 rifles in 2 bags each at 50 lbs along with my backpack and not have my back pack over-stuffed.

I believe 12 lbs out of the duffel and into the Tuffpak will get that done. Seems everytime when I pack my duffel like I want it...it is about 65 lbs.

Have always worried about my rifles in a Tuffpak.

With a double...does everyone hall them intact in the Tuffpak? I always take mine apart in my Starlight.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of nhoro
posted Hide Post
quote:
My goal is to take all the kit I like to have with 2 rifles in 2 bags each at 50 lbs along with my backpack and not have my back pack over-stuffed.

I believe 12 lbs out of the duffel and into the Tuffpak will get that done. Seems everytime when I pack my duffel like I want it...it is about 65 lbs.

With a double...do must hall them intact in the Tuffpak? I always take mine apart in my Starlight.

If you want a Tuffpak, be glad to sell you mine along with the Tuffsack. Love the concept, and made two trips with it to Africa (soft cases, shooting sticks, clothes, etc). First trip - no issues. Second trip - my stock on my double was cracked during the return. On the departure, I watched a TSA SOB slam it to the floor. I traveled with a double and a bolt, with the double assembled in one piece. Doubles don't travel too well in this way when people slam them from upright to the floor .... Since then I've only used Boyt or Pelican with cut-out foam, and doubles taken apart. Last few trips have been 2 doubles and a bolt (traveling with my sons), and I can get all in a Boyt hard case, with doubles taken apart, and stay under 70lbs.

The long Tuffpak would be fine for a double and a bolt, but you need to get a soft case for the double that allows it to be transported in take-down mode, or a long enough case that you can take down the double and fold it like a taco.

JEB Katy, TX

Already I was beginning to fall into the African way of thinking: That if
you properly respect what you are after, and shoot it cleanly and on
the animal's terrain, if you imprison in your mind all the wonder of the
day from sky to smell to breeze to flowers—then you have not merely
killed an animal. You have lent immortality to a beast you have killed
because you loved him and wanted him forever so that you could always
recapture the day - Robert Ruark

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

With a double...do must hall them intact in the Tuffpak? I always take mine apart in my Starlight.

When I traveled with a double I always took it apart and put it in its case which then went into my tuffsak then tuffpak. This configuration can be a pain, because you usually have to take the tuffsak all the way out so they can inspect the double.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3504 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Another reason I think TP is an over priced POS: If the locks break on your trip you're SOL. I carry replacement locks for my SKB just in case. Never had to use them, but it is peace of mind.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Another reason I think TP is an over priced POS: If the locks break on your trip you're SOL. I carry replacement locks for my SKB just in case. Never had to use them, but it is peace of mind.
Cal

My tuffpak is the pad lock model. I also carry replacement locks. No different than SKB or Pelican or Americase.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1281 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I had two rifles in thick, padded cases with jackets, etc. stuffed inside. We hunted two provinces with in-country flights. Neither rifle needed any adjustment for zero.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lane, I added foam (from a very thick yoga mat) inside each end of my TuffPak to reduce the impact on my guns if the thing was dropped on either end from a high place by the baggage monkeys. I also wrapped some egg crate foam around my soft cases (together, they formed the meat inside a single foam burrito), though I understand the value of that is debated. I used the case to go back and forth to Zambia with three guns (double rifle, light rifle, and .375) as a client and then with the double and my Benelli M4 as an appy. It served as the storage locker for those guns throughout my apprenticeship and spent a fair amount of time bouncing around in different Landcruisers as I went from GMA to GMA. With two relatively heavy guns, I felt like I was still able to make some use of the additional capacity for boots, optics, and some clothes. If the guns are put in there the right way, it's easy to take the top off, unzip the back of the case, and slide the gun out for number checking. The wheels are very nice, and the fact that it doesn't look like a gun case is kind of helpful, I think. If I ever get back over there, I'll take my TuffPak instead of one of my other cases.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

With a double...does everyone hall them intact in the Tuffpak? I always take mine apart in my Starlight.

I always take doubles apart and put them in a breakdown soft case. Sliding the buttstock out to check serial #s has never been a problem.

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
Have used an old Browning Travel Vault (2 trips), a cabala's aluminum one-gun case (3 trips), and a Tuffpak (10 trips). For one gun, I would not take the Tuffpak. Kind of bulky and more than you need, frankly. For two, though, I have found it to be a great choice. Using some foam or bubble wrap top and bottom, and clothing or bubble wrap around it. Never had a problem. Double rifle full length for half of those Tuffpak trips, without issue. Maybe I was a bit lucky. But I do feel better with a lot of insulation around the guns. I do like the idea of the bolt inside a shoe - will try that in my September trip to Namibia.

Also, I take a cable with clamps and cut to length, and padlocks along in case the vending machine lock gets hammered in some way. Then all I need to do is drill a hole and I have a Plan B conforming lock system.

My two cents!

Posts: 724 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heavy duty bubble wrap is the ticket.

Posts: 1782 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H T:
Have used an old Browning Travel Vault (2 trips), a cabala's aluminum one-gun case (3 trips), and a Tuffpak (10 trips). For one gun, I would not take the Tuffpak. Kind of bulky and more than you need, frankly. For two, though, I have found it to be a great choice. Using some foam or bubble wrap top and bottom, and clothing or bubble wrap around it. Never had a problem. Double rifle full length for half of those Tuffpak trips, without issue. Maybe I was a bit lucky. But I do feel better with a lot of insulation around the guns. I do like the idea of the bolt inside a shoe - will try that in my September trip to Namibia.

Also, I take a cable with clamps and cut to length, and padlocks along in case the vending machine lock gets hammered in some way. Then all I need to do is drill a hole and I have a Plan B conforming lock system.

My two cents!

I also have the vending machine lock. It has been mentioned you don’t want any TSA type locks on firearms.

There was a thread here a while back where someone did a little cutting and installed a hasp and padlock on their TuffPak. I wish I could find it again, as it was a good idea.

As others have said, it looks like a case for golf clubs. Clubs ain’t cheap these days, but less attractive to thieves than guns.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
Tuffpaks seem to be the Blaser of the gun case world. Some swear by them and others swear at them. Big Grin
Is
I have never tried one because it seems I get all the curious security people when traveling as they all want to see my firearms. For my purposes, I have found the American Case in a drop bottom duffle bag or an SKB case work best. I had an SKB case busted on the corners recently and SKB sent me a new case. I just had to pay shipping.

Safe travels

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
My goal is to take all the kit I like to have with 2 rifles in 2 bags each at 50 lbs --------
--------------

Lane
I have used the liner bag in my TP cases.
I also break down the DR's, remove the scope or Doctor Red dot.
Place the DR's in Soft case with liner socks (vci)on each half with a little padding between the halves.
The two DR soft cases are placed side by side with an elastic strap around them near the breech area ,muzzle down.
With the zippers at the top of the TP, it creates ready access to the butt portions which are shown at gun check. 9/10 times with out removing the soft cases nor the barrels.
This works also (perhaps even better with one DR and one Bolt.

Clothes, extra boots, scope (encased in a pvc tube) etc are packed around the soft cases inside the sack.(in case ALL contents should need to be removed,)

When allowed the small locked ammo case(s) are in the very top of the TP.

As I said, have traveled with multiple brands of cases, the TP has been the easiest for (now) an old man.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SFRanger7GP:
Tuffpaks seem to be the Blaser of the gun case world. Some swear by them and others swear at them. Big Grin
Is
I have never tried one because it seems I get all the curious security people when traveling as they all want to see my firearms. For my purposes, I have found the American Case in a drop bottom duffle bag or an SKB case work best. I had an SKB case busted on the corners recently and SKB sent me a new case. I just had to pay shipping.

Safe travels

I have drop bottom duffles from Beretta and Orvis, but I use the bottoms for boots or dirty clothes. For the most part, aren’t the guns supposed to be separate?

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used a tuffpak for every trip other than my first one where I used a pelican and someone tried to break into it in joburg.

I like tuffpak.

This is how I pack them for the way over.

Go buy $10 Allen gun cases at academy. Normally buy 3-4 - put the guns in the cases and use the rest for padding. Buy a few small bungee cords. Make one big package of all the guns and empty gun cases.

Take some old jeans ect - put it at the bottom.

Go to Walmart and buy $100-200 worth of socks. Good quality athletic ones.

Put the rifles barrels first into the tuffpak with the base of jeans/any clothes and socks. Dump all the socks around the rifles till it’s packed.

Inside the lid of the tuffpack put more clothes.

Close the case.

If anyone wants to see the rifles you will be able to pull them out of the gun case enough for serial numbers. No one has asked to see more.

I leave everything in the tuffpack behind and buy 2 nice leather gun cases in zim on the return. Again tie them up and use my beretta jacked as base and other clothes as packing. It is pretty tight.

I normally leave my other bag, back pack and 90 percent of my clothes and shoes behind. Wear my crocs carry my camera and optics back in a light weight travel tote bag.

Only checked bag I coming back with is my tuffpack.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
I have never had an issue. I have flown that way to the UK, Argentina, Africa and all over the US. My aluminum Americase for break down guns fits perfectly in the drop bottom of the canvas duffle bag I bought at Bass Pro in Grapevine.

Safe travels.

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
There was a thread here a while back where someone did a little cutting and installed a hasp and padlock on their TuffPak. I wish I could find it again, as it was a good idea.

I've done the same. I was concerned that a visegrips and enough force applied to the factory lock might break/bend the lock tabs inside and allow entry. I drilled through a rib in the top of the case and slide the lock through.

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
quote:

I've done the same. I was concerned that a visegrips and enough force applied to the factory lock might break/bend the lock tabs inside and allow entry. I drilled through a rib in the top of the case and slide the lock through.

I’m shocked that you owned a rifle long enough to travel with it. Big Grin

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hooker did a funny...Hooker did a funny!!!!!!! :-)

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Biebes:
Just based on value alone, when you travel with your Tuff Pak, wrap your Blazers around the exterior to protect the Tuff Pak.
Cal
PS. Cal did a funny, Cal did a funny.`

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, that was a Tee Hee...didn't rate a Funny :-)

PS: It's Blaser...a blazer is what you wear to church on Sunday.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Hooker did a funny...Hooker did a funny!!!!!!! :-)

jumping