New
Find
Notify
Tools

Single shot rifles for buffalo.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just out of curiosity: what about hunting buffalo with a single shot? Who has done it? What rifle, what calibre? How many shots were necessary? Did the ph shoot as well in order to kill your buff? Would you do it again, hunting buffalo just using a single shot?

Posts: 640 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 June 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I will have absolutely no reservations hunting with a single shot if I had the inclination.

Every single buffalo I have shot, even the ones requiring follow up shots, did not require rapid shooting.

Most die with shot anyway.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66930 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
I will have absolutely no reservations hunting with a single shot if I had the inclination.

Every single buffalo I have shot, even the ones requiring follow up shots, did not require rapid shooting.

Most die with shot anyway.

tu2 Absolutely! The key is caliber, and placement of the bullet from a rifle of good chambering!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No problem, my wife has shot 3 buffalo with her Ruger no1s, 1 with the 416 and 2 with her 500.
A single shot can be fired rapidly with practice. I am sure any PH would prefer proper first shot placement to any volume of fire that can be delivered.

Posts: 398 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted seven cape buffalo with single shot rifles in 50-110 Winchester and .577NE. All seven were one shot kills at 50 yds or less. Five were dead right there.

I like the style and spirit of hunting dangerous game with a single shot.
I always use the best bullets available. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Worked great for Selous!

I REALLY wish I had picked up a Ruger No 1 in 450-400NE back when you could pick them up all day for $950 AND the Hornady ammo was readily available. Also, the limited run they did in 450NE would have been cool.

Posts: 434 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Baker458:
Worked great for Selous!

I REALLY wish I had picked up a Ruger No 1 in 450-400NE back when you could pick them up all day for $950 AND the Hornady ammo was readily available. Also, the limited run they did in 450NE would have been cool.

Agree. I picked up a Ruger No#1 "Tropical" from Cabelas a while back. It was like 750.00

Its a .416 Rigby

I should sell it. I've never hunted it.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3377 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve, Excellent price, perfect rifle/cartridge combination. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was still living in Zimbabwe I used to assist the Zimbabwe professional Hunters & Guides Association with the training course they held each October at Rifa Education Camp in the Rifa Safari Area of the Zambezi Valley. The course was to help prepare learner PH's & guides for the 'Proficiency' examination to get a full PH or Guides licence.
During the course all students had to shoot and pass the 'Haley's Hop' shooting test. It consisted of three, 1 meter square targets that were painted a dark grey colour. There was no aiming point on the targets - the instruction being, if charged, "just shoot for the middle of the black". On the rear side of the targets were a 6" diameter bullseye and an 8" diameter outer bull.
The targets were set at 30, 20 and 10 m from the firing line.
Those using bolt actioned rifles were to put 3 cartridges into the magazine and close the bolt with the chamber empty.
On the command 'go' the learner had to chamber a cartridge and shoot at the 30, then 20 then 10 m target, reload another 3 cartridges from his belt and shoot again at the 10 then 20 then 30 m target. A 'bull' was scored 10 points and an outer 5. All shooters were timed, 'go' started the clock and the 6th shot ended it.
Score was then divided by time - the highest score in the shortest time being the winner.
One year a learner arrived with a Ruger No 1 in .375 H&H. The other trainers and I were horrified, as this was not deemed a suitable rifle for either PH'ing or guiding and the poor learner took a lot of flack over his choice of rifle.
When it was his turn to shoot the Haley's Hop exercise he arrived on the firing line with 5 cartridges neatly held by elastic loops so they lay in a line on the top of his left shoulder (he shot right handed) with the primer/belt pointing forward. The 6 th cartridge he held in his left hand.
At the command 'go' he quickly opened the No. 1's action, slid in the cartridge that was in his hand, aimed and fired at the 30 m target and then with the rifle still help in his shoulder by his left hand, he opened the No. 1's action with his right hand, this ejected the empty cartridge case and he then simply reached across to take the next cartridge from off the top of his left shoulder, slip it into the breech with a well-practiced movement and fire at the 20 m target. These slick movement were repeated until all 6 shots had been fired - and in the end his was the fastest time for Haley's Hop ever! He also scored a full house, so his score was the highest ever to that particular exercise up until that time. This I can assure you shut us all up!
I still don't think a single shot is suitable for a PH's or guides rifle but for a safari client it can be a wonderful choice. It's the first shot that counts anyway, and single shot rifles just seem to make those who use them shoot better.
I'm not proud of the fact I've had to face 4 buffalo charges over my time in Africa, but on each occasion there was only time for a single shot. A buffalo can charge at 15 m per second and it takes about 1.5 seconds to get your rifle's safety catch off, it shouldered, and an accurately placed shot off. To reload a large calibre bolt actioned rifle and to get off a second accurate shot takes about another two seconds - by which time a buffalo can travel more than 50 m.
A Ruger No. 1 in .450/.400 makes a very fine buffalo combination in my opinion, especially when one realizes that it can with a bit of practice be reloaded as quickly as any bolt actioned rifle.

Posts: 151 | Location: Southern Africa | Registered: 30 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doctari505:
I still don't think a single shot is suitable for a PH's or guides rifle but for a safari client it can be a wonderful choice.

With all due respect, and much is due, I will never understand this logic.

It implies that it's fine for clients to use second class rifles, because their PHs will be using first class rifles.

It implies that it's fine for clients to cock things up, because their PHs are there to save their asses.

In my view, no hunter should be there to have his ass saved.

I had a PH in camp once, who remarked that my dangerous game rifles, one, a .458 Lott, and the other, a .500 A-Square, both bolt action magazine rifles, were "PH rifles."

He said, "Those are PH rifles! Bravo, mon ami!"

I did not know how to respond, so I just nodded my head, politely.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
quote:
I still don't think a single shot is suitable for a PH's or guides rifle but for a safari client it can be a wonderful choice.

It implies that it's fine for clients to use second class rifles, because their PHs will be using first class rifles.

It implies that it's fine for clients to cock things up, because their PHs are there to save their asses.

I had a PH in camp once, who remarked that my dangerous game rifles, one, a .458 Lott, and the other, a .500 A-Square, both bolt action magazine rifles, were "PH rifles."

Mike,

The PHs have to deal with a all sorts of clients.

Some are extremely good at what they do, others have no business even handling a rifle.

I have seen them all.

When things go south with dangerous game, it can quickly get into a fight for survival.

A decent hunter would have no problems following a wounded animal.

Some stories I have heard would make you tear your hair out.

That is why a PH should have at least a double, if not a bolt rifle.

Posts: 66930 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
quote:

Mike,

The PHs have to deal with a all sorts of clients.

Some are extremely good at what they do, others have no business even handling a rifle.

I have seen them all.

When things go south with dangerous game, it can quickly get into a fight for survival.

A decent hunter would have no problems following a wounded animal.

Some stories I have heard would make you tear your hair out.

That is why a PH should have at least a double, if not a bolt rifle.

100% correct. Can you imagine getting new clients every couple weeks? Not sure whats he's done, how safe are his firearm carrying protocols, will I get shot in the back, will my tracking team get shot?

That said, I will agree with Micheal to an extent. If a PH is as observant as he should be, they will quickly ascertain if this guy is a douche with guns or not.

To the OP's question. I would hunt Buffalo without hesitation with the Ruger #1 I mentioned. I originally purchased the rifle to hunt Bongo with dogs.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3377 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
When my son was completing his requirements for his PH license in Zambia he used a Dakota single shot 9.3x74 to take a couple of Cape buffalo. And when we hunted buffalo in Zimbabwe he chose a Ruger No 1 .375 H&H , which he then left as a gift for our PH Phillip Smythe

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4194 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A buffalo can charge at 15 m per second and it takes about 1.5 seconds to get your rifle's safety catch off, it shouldered, and an accurately placed shot off. To reload a large calibre bolt actioned rifle and to get off a second accurate shot takes about another two seconds - by which time a buffalo can travel more than 50 m.

Hence the versatility of a respectable DR (.450 +) to cope with such situations.

Posts: 1904 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
My first hunt in Tanzania I shot two buffalo with a Ruger No. 1 in 416 Remington and survived the experience.

I don't believe shooting a single shoot really makes you take a better first shot, nor do I believe you will die using one. It is just a tool, learn how to shoot and reload proficiently and you will be fine. Same goes for a bolt gun or a double, I wonder how many (other than me) have straightened the front trigger on a double trying to make it shoot a second time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As the client hunter, our position in the hunt group allows us to safely use a single shot rifle on dangerous game, as we're accompanied by a PH who has a proper stopping rifle if things go sidewards. I'd love to hunt a Cape Buff with a Searcy Stalking Rifle in 450-400 or 450 NE.

Posts: 20085 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs,

I see it the same way.

Also, I too, would sure like to hunt cape buffalo with that Searcy Stalking Rifle. I might go for 500NE just to make a fashion statement! Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brian, if you're leaning that way, a 577NE is the only answer :-)

Posts: 20085 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs, When you're right, you're right! Brian

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Must be fun lugging a 577 NE through the bush all day! clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, No Kidding!
I am getting to the age where it is not fun. I am thinking about having someone carry it for me. I sure like the way it kills and I still enjoy shooting it, but I sure don't like carrying it anymore. One more hunt with it and I will switch the my #7.5 TC Encore 50-110 a muzzle brake. (410 grain, 500 cal CEB bullet a 2,100 fps)
I am getting closer to being 100 years old than I have ever been! Brian

Administrator
posted Hide Post
The day I cannot carry my own rifle, the day I give up hunting.

Many years ago, I used to take different caliber rifles for hunting.

One for plains game and one for the big guys.

One time, only one time, I had a tracker carry my other rifle while I carried one.

I kept looking back to see how he was treating it!

Then I had a brain storm of using just one rifle for everything.

One I can carry all day long, regardless.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Doctari, thank you for your very instructive post. I'd love to have seen film of the gentleman running the .375. It seems there used to be some wonderful footage from Rifa posted here.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16367 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This topic always seems to elicit strong opinions. I'd feel comfortable with my No.1 450/400. Also has the added bonus of being easy to carry.

The No.1 performed well in Namibia on PG earlier this year. I don't have the DG experience yet that others do but plan to rectify that soon.

Posts: 103 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, If you like a short rifle, a single shot is much shorter that a bolt action, same as a double is shorter. My TC Encore is about 1.5 inches shorter than most doubles for any give barrel length.

doctari505,
That's a good explanation about comparing the speed of handling a bolt action and the attack speed of a cape buffalo.

My math comes out about the same as your math.

ie. to recock a bolt action for the second shot takes 2 second, as you say, if the shooter is on the ball. I make that 30 meters travel for the charging buffalo. That is a hell of a long way. I thing that folk don't realize that how far a buffalo can get between shots from a bolt action rifle. ( And there are not many clients who can actually cycle a bolt action fast and reliably.)

I have killed buffalo with a 375 HH bolt action and good bullets. Each one took off with the first shot and went 30 meters.
I now sure enjoy that sense of satisfaction when I make 'em stagger for several steps and go down, with my 577 or 500-110 single shot. I am sure that many of you have had that experience.

I still tell the PH ahead of time, "If you have any doubts about my first shot, then immediately get some lead in the air! Don't wait for written permission from me." That's just my style, I don't mention it here, as a recommendation. Brian

one of us
posted Hide Post
I used a .416 Rem for my Buffalo hunt in the Selous. My son talked of going with me and I found a .416 Rigby in Ruger #1 for my use if he did go. He ended up welcoming a daughter the week of the hunt thus he forgot that quest. It shoots lights out and is still in my safe. Someday maybe it will get used by a grandson or somebody. Got all the components when they were reasonable. Good Shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2348 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote