New
Find
Notify
Tools

45/70 for dangerous game???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, you realize they do chamber handguns in .45-70?

I still think its a stunt, as in you do it despite there being better choices and knowing it can have some significant limitations that more appropriate choices would reduce your safety risk... That's not to say it can't be done, or that its illegal.

You want to hunt Elephant with a handgun, bow, or .45-70, if its legal, and you can find a PH willing to back you up, have at it; its just you chose to do so for your own reasons, not necessity.

Posts: 10479 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
Saeed, you realize they do chamber handguns in .45-70?

I still think its a stunt, as in you do it despite there being better choices and knowing it can have some significant limitations that more appropriate choices would reduce your safety risk... That's not to say it can't be done, or that its illegal.

You want to hunt Elephant with a handgun, bow, or .45-70, if its legal, and you can find a PH willing to back you up, have at it; its just you chose to do so for your own reasons, not necessity.

Yes.

I have one too.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66765 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Professional Hunters just love, love, love the .45-70. It makes their job just that much more exciting.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
With super penetration solids like cutting Edge bullets Safari Solids designed right here on AR, I would hunt DG with a 45-70 in my Marlin Guide Gun or double or a single shot like a Ruger #1 where you can duplicate a 450 NE. and go tooter to snooter in most game. Just do the normal checklist like have a PH you trust and have good life insurance.

After all, I am the founder of “We Band of 45-70ers”

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27590 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Trouble is idiots have been listening to a very big idiot saying he only uses a 600 Nitro Express for dangerous game!

I suppose when you are incompetent, you need all the help you can get!

Posts: 66765 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Trouble is idiots have been listening to a very big idiot saying he only uses a 600 Nitro Express for dangerous game!

I thought Mark Sullivan's caliber of choice was .577 NItro Express?

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Thank you Boom Stick!

You reduced the discussion down to the essentials, which are the a specific bullet, at or above a specific velocity, impacting the game at a specific place.
You cleared the air of all the BS about gun actions, gun makers, type of action, CRF or PRF, and archaic regulations on legality of caliber and energy.

You also mentioned the Marlin lever action which has been used in Africa for PG and DG. This does not mean you recommend it, just that under the right conditions, you could and would use it. I like Marlin, but bought an 1886 so I could load to higher pressures and velocities with a larger margin of safety. My 1886 .45-90 does get 450 grain premium bullets up into that 2150 fps range you reference and it has killed buff, ele, leopard, etc . Regardless of what anyone else thinks, the game can not tell from which rifle a bullet comes.

As said before, I do not really care what rifle other hunters use and do not want to know and therefore do not ask. Anyone that has to ask has not done the research they could have and should have done. The Internet is overflowing with such information as are a large number of books and magazines.

BTW, I had forgotten you were founder of "We Band of 45-70ers". Good Show and Keep up the good work!

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:

I know one man who is pretending to be a professional hunter whose sole purpose in life is to glorify himself! rotflmo

The question here was if it can be used to kill dangerous game.

It can, and without any question, kill anything that walks this earth.

Right here on this forum members are using handguns to do just that.

Personally, I would prefer the 45/70 to any handgun.

Saeed, it has been agreed on that with a proper bullet, and a close to 2000 fps the 45-70 cane be used quite well for dangerous game like cape buffalo, that is, if the bullet is placed properly, but that applies to any rifle/chambering/and bullet.
The problem with posts like these, it gives the newby the idea that he can go down to WAL-MART and buy a box of factory ammo and go elephant hunting with his Marlen lever rifle. You and I both know that is not the case where buffalo, and elephant are concerned. With lion, and leopard that could very well be a true thought, especially over bait.
Since I have never even shot at an elephant with anything but a camera, it should be assumed that my post here is nothing more than opinion, not backed with personal experience with elephant, but I will let others prove or disprove the value of that thought!

………………………………………………………………………… old MacD37

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
There is a fella from Europe who made a revolver in .600 nitro. You tube has him shooting it.
C

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
There is a fella from Europe who made a revolver in .600 nitro. You tube has him shooting it.
C

jumping Did he survive with both arms still connected?

...…………...…...………………. old MacD37

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
While Hunting ELE the herd split two to the right three to the left. We were standing there while the trackers were searching for tracks. We herd thunder to the left and here came 3 Eles running right at us. The PH had a bolt 458 Lott and I had a 500 Double. The best advice I received from him was you will NEVER outrun an Elephant. Stand and fight.The Lead Bull stopped a yard short of being shot (17 yards)!!! All three were small Bulls.

Posts: 2320 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slider:
While Hunting ELE the herd split two to the right three to the left. We were standing there while the trackers were searching for tracks. We herd thunder to the left and here came 3 Eles running right at us. The PH had a bolt 458 Lott and I had a 500 Double. The best advice I received from him was you will NEVER outrun an Elephant. Stand and fight.The Lead Bull stopped a yard short of being shot (17 yards)!!! All three were small Bulls.

……............……….. Eeker old MacD37 diggin

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Things can go south any time one is in the bush.

And regardless of what rifle one has, I honestly think a person's best bet in such a situation is pure luck.

I personally know of individuals shooting a charging elephant, in one instance it was a cow, with a 577 T.Rex.

The bullet did not penetrate to the brain!!

Now can anyone here tell me if someone asks if he could use a 577 T.Rex for hunting dangerous game, and how many are going to tell him it is not suitable??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I might. I'm not certain that a 577 T.Rex will penetrate with a properly loaded 45-70. Penetration counts. I shot an 1800 pound bison with one of my 45-70 Sharps one day with a 480 grain hardcast flat nosed bullet. Through and through both shoulders with an exit on the far side. One shot, down and done.

A bit later, another fellow shot what could have been the twin to my animal broadside behind the shoulder from about the same 85 yard distance with a 505 Gibbs and a 540 grain factory soft. He did not get the complete penetration and an exit wound that I got with the 45-70. He did get a rodeo and chase that lasted a couple of hours. Until that happened, I would have bet on the Gibbs. Now, not so much. Just one of the reasons I have a lot of faith in a 45-70 and proper bullets.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
30 years ago in my Winchester days I loaded an 1886 light weight takedown rifle in .45-70 to 2000 fps with a 400-grain bullet. The bullet was meant to be shot at 1500 fps and was not a hunting bullet. But a 400 grains bullet at 2000 fps in a .45-70 is in the same league as a 450-400 and a 400 grain bullet at 2000-2100 fps. With a proper bullet for penetration at 2000 fps a .45-70 in a fast handling lever gun would be just right for dangerous game.
c

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go for it. I used to represent a company that made coffins. i'll send you their contact information.

Posts: 9954 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
So why would ballistics that are nearly identical be looked down for a .45-70 but universally accepted for a .450-400? Don't get me wrong, the lever interest in me died 30 years ago, I'm looking only at ballistics with a proper bullet (not the standard 405-grain flat point at 1300-1500 fps).

I guess emotion is a strong factor when it comes to discussions such as this. Some are critical of my statment that a .500 bpe is fine for buffalo (440 grains @ 1750 fps). Not perfect, better choices are out there of course, but the energy and penetration are there with the right bullet.

I am working at present on a lion, leopard, elephant hunt in Zim. (I'm selling my double rifles and turning the rubles into hunts). Not sure if it will come to pass but my rifle will be a .450-400 and the 400-grains bullet. While 2150 is touted as the muzzle velocity figure, most are closer to 2000 to 2050 fps. (The 2150 figure is from 28" test barrels, 24" barrels are 2050).

I think bullet quality is far more important than actual energy figures. I would rather my .450-400 than my 4-bore which has nearly twice the muzzle energy with a lead ball (1750 fps and 1400 grains). So I stand my my statement that a .45-70 with a proper bullet with a heavy load is fine. I hope it did not come across I was referring to that standard trapdoor .45-70 loading.

Cheers,
Cal
PS. If I do need a coffin, are you on commission sales or salary?

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:
C

MAC:
Google 600 nitro express revolver. It is a joke.

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Check out the video,Hippo taken with a lever action in 457 wwg,it's a 45-70 on steriods.
https://youtu.be/uXlWK2v4RBk

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:
C

MAC:
Google 600 nitro express revolver. It is a joke.

We know Cal it is a joke!

Just like that stupid idiot you blindly worship!

“I let the buffalo decide how to die” rotflmo

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Things can go south any time one is in the bush.

And regardless of what rifle one has, I honestly think a person's best bet in such a situation is pure luck.

I personally know of individuals shooting a charging elephant, in one instance it was a cow, with a 577 T.Rex.

The bullet did not penetrate to the brain!!

Now can anyone here tell me if someone asks if he could use a 577 T.Rex for hunting dangerous game, and how many are going to tell him it is not suitable??

Good question! My answer to that question is,
I don't think the T.Rex is suitable for the long , uninjured life of anyone shooting it at even targets! So I guess my answer would be IT IS NOT SUITABLE FOR THE SHOOTERS WELL BEING EVEN ON THE TARGET RANGE!
...………...…......…………...….. BOOM faint

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Concerning the youtube video of the lever Marlin and the hippo. A 525 grain flatnosed hardcast Beartooth bullet at 1600 fps seemed to get the job done on a frontal head shot. Other than the fact that the cartridge is a 45-70 Govt. and not a 45 2.1 Rigby, or 45 2.1 H&H, what's not to like about that?

In the same vein, go to youtube and look up Bill Bagwell zebra kill. That is a 480 grain hardcast flatnosed bullet at 1242 fps from 161 yards out of a 45-70 Shiloh Sharps. This is the same bullet and load I used on the aforementioned 1800 pound bison. It has always worked for me.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
quote:
I shot an 1800 pound bison with one of my 45-70 Sharps one day with a 480 grain hardcast flat nosed bullet. Through and through both shoulders with an exit on the far side. One shot, down and done.

Hey, Sharpsguy! Me too , except my bison was running left to right and I was shooting my 1886 .45-90 with 450 grain Kodiak "African" load at 2150 fps.
As with you, the bullet went through both shoulders and on toward the horizon, and the bison piled up. This was at about 45 yards and my guide was so impressed that he called Mike at Grizzly cartridge to confirm the MV. Smiler

It just occurred to me that I have a recording of that hunt on DVD. If I knew how to lift just the final action, I would post it, but with credits and such, it is to long to suit me(boring!) .

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I liked seeing Doug Turnbull’s hunt reports with his high power .475.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
DCSMember,
Yes, that .475 is in the same power range as my .45-90 DG loads. At least the published ballistics are.

I have a comparison somewhere in my loading records and will post if I can find it.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill73:
Check out the video,Hippo taken with a lever action in 457 wwg,it's a 45-70 on steriods.
https://youtu.be/uXlWK2v4RBk

Head shots on Hippo are a slam dunk, with just about anything even with far less than the 45 caliber rifles. The problem with the hippo is when you run onto him on dryland and trying to stop a charge. That my friends is a whole other ball of wax! Body shots, up close, on hippo, are often not real effective with just about any rifle regardless of size.
The shooting of hippo in water is simply a matter of accuracy for hitting the brain in a very large head. A little 9.3x74 with a tough bullet will pernitrate to the brain quite easily, and sink him like a submarine as you just saw in that film clip.
This is not an indictment in regard to the rifle used in this case. It is certainly a very capable rifle and cartridge far more capable than a run of the mill 45-70. but the 45-70 with a good bullet, would make that shot as well. As I said this is a matter of accuracy, and a quality bullet of just about any size. I sink hippo with a 375 H&H shooting Nosler partitions easy in water shots. I also have not doubt that the shooter in that film would be fine hunting cape buffalo with that rifle/bullet combo!
………………………………...……….. old MacD37

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Whoever says the 45-70 cannot be used for dangerous game has not hunted any.

Or a bad shot clap

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Whoever says the 45-70 cannot be used for dangerous game has not hunted any.

Or a bad shot clap

Could be the best post of 2020

Posts: 27590 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crshelton:
DCSMember,
Yes, that .475 is in the same power range as my .45-90 DG loads. At least the published ballistics are.

I have a comparison somewhere in my loading records and will post if I can find it.

No worries and thank you. I don’t reload and will shut up.

That was a lie, DG can go down anyway. It’s really the person doing the job.

Personally, I’d rather have a bigger cannon if it’s my job.

A cool .475 Turnbull would be fun in Africa, but it’s about tradition.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DCS Member:
quote:
Originally posted by crshelton:
DCSMember,

No worries and thank you. I don’t reload and will shut up.

That was a lie, DG can go down anyway. It’s really the person doing the job.

Personally, I’d rather have a bigger cannon if it’s my job.

A cool .475 Turnbull would be fun in Africa, but it’s about tradition.

And so many clueless gun writers kept writing all sorts of bloody nonsense that the 375 is not good enough for dangerous game!

So those of us who have been hunting them for so many years should really be dead by now! rotflmo

one of us
posted Hide Post
Its sort of refreshing the lack of bigotry against the 45-70 these days. Quite a few votes from notable hunters on the thread. 15 years ago if you mentioned it on a big game forum you were at risk of being tarred and feathered. Big Grin

Posts: 3530 | Location: various | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never shot any buffalo with a .45-70, only heaps with a .30-30. Using a Hydro makes a huge difference, that tiny little 150 grain jobbie at 2000fps really works wonders.

Lots of Australians have killed plenty of buffalo with a .45-70 and would get a giggle over what some folks on this thread think about it, but apparently our buffalo are nothing more than big bunnies and don’t breathe fire (despite the “Oh, shit!” moments I’ve had). Pick your country, pick your shot.

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
There are dozens of them that are ripe for resurrection! just do a search and post a new reply! Let’s see how times have changed.

quote:
Originally posted by Karl:
Its sort of refreshing the lack of bigotry against the 45-70 these days. Quite a few votes from notable hunters on the thread. 15 years ago if you mentioned it on a big game forum you were at risk of being tarred and feathered. Big Grin

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
There are dozens of them that are ripe for resurrection! just do a search and post a new reply! Let’s see how times have changed.

quote:

It is no fallacy that the 45-70 is legal in Africa, at least most countries that I am aware of.
The 45-70 is no different than any other 45 cal rifle, as long as the loads are right for the job. That however is true of any legal caliber cartridge. Any of the legal chamberings will not get the job done properly if the cartridges are loaded with the wrong bullets, and attaining a velocity that is too low for the job.
Any one here knows that off the shelf ammo for the 45-70 is not suitable for hunting large dangerous game any place. The ballistics and bullet design in factory ammo for the 45-70 is loaded with deer and black bear hunting, the bullets are too soft, and the speed is insufficient because the ammo is loaded to be safe in very old rifles to avoid law suits if some one is injured with a blow up of an old rusty rifle.
This is no different than the ammo that is suitable for old double rifles with Damascus barrels that are chambered for the same cartridges but with steel barrels. No body here would think of shooting modern factory ammo in a rifle with Damascus barrels. The cartridge is the same but the load is far different, and the same goes for the loads for the 45-70 that are made for very strong rifles with fluid steel barrels, and strong lock-ups. This is the reason for the confusion with the 45-70. The factory loads are same for being used in very old rusty rifles. This fact has nothing to do with the 45-70 that is made strong, like the Ruger No 1 45-70. That thing is built like a army tank, but I would not take on cape buffalo with Winchester factory ammo. However, I have a Ruger no1 45-70, and a double rifle 45-70 but I use the ammo that is suitable for the Ruger no1 in both rifle, and I wouldn't hesitate to hunt cape buffalo with either rifle with my loads. As I stated earlier, the stating that any 45-70 rifle and factory ammo is suitable for taking on dangerous game is a bad idea. This whole discussion may lead a young hunter to go to Africa with an old 45-70 rifle with hot loads, or a new one with factory loads designed for whitetail deer.
Either way there is a risk by simply saying any 45-70 rifle with factory ammo is suitable for hunting dangerous game that is tougher than a black bear, or whitetail deer.
……………………………………………… Hunt with what you want, but do your education first in what is designed for the animal you are hunting with any very old cartridge/rifle.
This is simply saying regardless of caliber, make sure the ammo is suitable for the rifle used, and animal you are hunting!
…………………………………………………………… old MacD37

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll bet the modern .45/70 is better for big game than the latter day .450nitro express was.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm with you, Karl. It is all about the bullet and its behavior upon delivery. Doesn't matter what rifle and brass gasket (cartridge) was used to launch said projectile.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
MacD37,

Thanks for posting, you said that very clearly. Perhaps now a few folks will lay off badmouthing out of hand the old .45-70 and maybe educate those who think it's a giant killer with any load.
Big Grin

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2787 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jens poulsen:
I'll bet the modern .45/70 is better for big game than the latter day .450nitro express was.

There is no doubt, that the modern 45-70 rifles are well made and strong. The problem is with those thinking it is a giant killer with ammo off the shelf that is designed to be used in any old 45-70 rifle no matter the condition.
You will never hear me say the 45-70 is not a very good RIFLE for large game. MY caution is; DON'T MAKE THE MISTAKE OF THINKING THAT IT WILL BE FINE NO MATTER THE AMMO USED!"
No matter what rifle used, the ammo is the key! The film shown in the hippo kill was not using off the shelf at Wall mart ammo for that 45-70, and the rifle was especially made for the ammo that was used to shoot that hippo. You may think that that ammo could be used in just any old 45-70 rifle regardless the condition, I don't! As I stated in my earlier post there is nothing wrong with the 45-70 rifle WITH PROPER AMMO. MY objection to this thread that point was not made clear in the first 20 or 30 posts here. There are a lot of young folks that read these posts, and all I say is, there is nothing to keep a strong 45-70 rifle with proper ammo for the job for the taking dangerous game. this applies to any firearm of any size. We should make it clear to the young folks that if they want to go to Africa with their 45-70 rifle, so be it, but it should be made clear that the off the shelf ammo from Wall Mart is not designed for the animals one runs into in Africa.
I have several 45-70 rifles, but all are very strong, and my hand loaded ammo will shoot through any cape buffalo I'm likely to come across, and I can assure you that ammo did not come from Wall Mart, but off my loading bench.
We all want the young kids to take up hunting, and some day go to Africa, and do the fun things we do, but lets prepare them for that with proper information! AMMO OFF THE SHELF AT WALL MART AIN't IT! With proper ammo the 45-70 is fine for hunting big biters and stompers.

…………………………………………………………………. killpc oldMacD37

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith