New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jo'berg guest house recommendation
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have never overnighted in Jo'berg so I'm looking for a recommendation for a Guest House/lodge to spend a couple of days before my trip and a couple after my trip.

I have read that Afton Guest House has changed hands and one of the other places that is brought up often is Africa Sky.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1097 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Africa sky is nice. I would stay there again without hesitation if I have to overnight in South Africa. Their menu for meals is excellent. We never once had a bad meal. The rooms were nice and clean and the grounds were very well kept. They will also help line up a tour guide for you. We spent two days with a gentleman named Phillip as he drove us around to different tourist spots. I'd definitely use him as your tour guide if he's available and you need one.

Posts: 57 | Location: Utah | Registered: 17 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Africa Sky and Afton House would be my two recommendations. Afton House is now owned by the African Hunting Gazette Magazine folks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally, if you are spending a few days on each side of your hunt there, I’d think you are better off out of Jo-berg.

I’ve never stayed anywhere other than the hotel at the airport for just a night- I’d rather stay out by Kruger, or Port Elizabeth, or preferentially where I’m hunting as a nonhunting day.

Posts: 10545 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
Both Afton and Africa Sky are very nice but I would also stay out of Joberg if I was staying more than one night. Pilanesburg is very nice... guess it depends where you will be hunting...

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 893 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Africa Sky is much nicer than Afton House in my experience. Perhaps in the last several years Afton House has been upgraded/improved.

Mike

Posts: 21157 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Be aware that there is a potential for crime anywhere, including around the guest houses mentioned. I experienced it first hand in 2017 at Africa Sky. This experience has been discussed here on AR previously.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Stayed at African Sky, Afton, and in the airport. If arriving late and leaving early, stay in the airport( City Lodge). Otherwise, African Sky for sure.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13131 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If arriving late and leaving early, stay in the airport( City Lodge)

+1

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There was just a discussion on this issue in are Reno. If I recall correctly, the African Sky had clients robbed. Also subject to my recollection, the owners of Afton were robbed at Afton.

I stay at the Intercontinental if I have to stay.

Posts: 11936 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry: I personally witnessed some black thugs trying to break into and rob a hunter whose room was next to mine while I was staying at Africa Sky in August of 2017. Fortunately they did not succeed, but it did shake up the hunter and the rest of us. I discussed it personally with Deidre, the owner. There was no compensation given to the hunter for the unfortunate incident. The hunter was livid about his treatment by Africa Sky when I spoke to him upon our return to the States, as we were on the very same Delta flight home. The clients robbed that you speak of was a separate incident and I personally know the insurance agent that they worked with that eventually saw to it that they were compensated for their losses. Unfortunately, crime can happen anywhere in Jo'burg and sometimes when you least expect it. Always be on your guard.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you're going out of Jo'burg, Kwa Maritane in the Pilanesberg is nice.

quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
Personally, if you are spending a few days on each side of your hunt there, I’d think you are better off out of Jo-berg.

I’ve never stayed anywhere other than the hotel at the airport for just a night- I’d rather stay out by Kruger, or Port Elizabeth, or preferentially where I’m hunting as a nonhunting day.

Posts: 408 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 01 December 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hogbreath:
I have never overnighted in Jo'berg

Not a single person has ever overnighted in Jo'berg because there isn't a city called Johannesberg archer

Posts: 640 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine:
quote:
Originally posted by Hogbreath:
I have never overnighted in Jo'berg

Not a single person has ever overnighted in Jo'berg because there isn't a city called Johannesberg archer

No probably not but everybody knew what I was after.

Guns and hunting

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jo'burg, not Jo'berg. We all knew what he was after in spite of his mistake. Mine was spelled Jo'burg in my post. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah but you went to school and became a lawyer! Big Grin

Guns and hunting

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Years back, I loved Afton house.
Since about 2011 , it would be City Lodge only for me.
That is not a swipe at African Sky or Afton-
just a concern for safety getting too and from and being at either.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah but you went to school and became a lawyer!

Ok, but please don't hold that against me! Big Grin wave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DuggaBoye: Wisdom. tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
Why spend four days in a razor wire security fenced place at all? Rather, spend those days bird hunting in the OFS. Contact Andrew McLaren. You can usually drive back to JNB and board on the same day from OFS. Arriving you may need to spend one night at the airport.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2927 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I stayed at Afton House in May of 2016, they overbooked and we were shuttled off to Eland House which was run by a very nice South African Greek. Afton House also, did my gun permit, Mr. X showed up at the airport and couldn't find it. He tried to get it faxed to the airport but no go, he had to drive to Afton House to get it, 2 hours later I was on my way. I also had the smallest $25 steak at Afton House, I would not stay there again.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife and I stayed at African Sky a couple of times and loved everything about it except the pool was pretty darn cold even for a Minnesota boy

Posts: 29 | Location: Delano MN | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Africa Sky....

We had a really nice stay there.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Whitworth:
Africa Sky....

We had a really nice stay there.

Same here

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
About 10 years ago we stayed in the African Sky and it was in a new area without the security support of being in a built up area. The next time we stayed at the Afton House and Sherry got along very well with the lady that I believe was the owner. For that reason we stayed at the Afton house the next couple of times.

On my last trip I was not scheduled to overnight in SA but the return dates were changed while I was in Moz hunting and the outfitter made the itinerary changes. As part of the change I overnighted in at the African Sky. It had built up around the African Sky in the last 8 years and the African Sky appeared to be in a nice and secure area due to the build up. The food and service were excellent.

Bottom line from my perspective, if overnighting I find both the Afton House and the African Sky quite acceptable. However, I did find the food better at the African Sky and I would stay at the African Sky.

Posts: 157 | Location: Dallas area | Registered: 07 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
(1) 2 days before and 2 day after your hunt, what to you expect to do in Jo'burg for 4 days?

(2) I have stayed at Africa Sky and Intercontinental. Nothing against Africa Sky but if I was to stay again, it would be Intercontinental or City Lodge at the airport. Just not worth the risk or hassle of staying outside the airport. IF you want to go into town the train leaves from the airport.

Posts: 751 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
I wouldn’t spend 4 days in Joburg unless I absolutely HAD to.......

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13131 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
African Sky

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
As others have said, if it’s more than just an overnight, expand your horizons. I did an overnight in Johannesburg, but that was because SAA was delayed and we missed our connection. They picked the place and picked up the tab. That was all made possible, or facilitated by rifepermits.com. Looking back on it, I should’ve tipped more.

On the same trip, we came back from Eastern Cape to Johannesburg for our Limpopo hunt. For some reason, we had to stay in Pretoria on the way. I’m rather glad we did. It was a very nice, secure property with a good restaurant. Also, Pretoria is beautiful. I can ask
My PH the name of the guest hoist if you wish.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3431 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We overnighted in Dubai on the way in....fabulous.

Jeff

Posts: 93 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 07 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hogbreath,

There really isn't any reason to leave the airport. City Lodge is a quick walk across the street from the airport police station where you'll retrieve your guns. City Lodge is more than adequate and they have a killer breakfast buffet. For a little higher end experience the Intercontinental that's in the same building as City Lodge is quite nice and the food excellent.

If you stay at the airport there is no need shuttle back and forth from some off site location which can be dangerous.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12853 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At this point in time, I fully concur with Mark. I have also stayed a number of times, at both the Intercontinental and City Lodge, and they were both very good. As stated previously, I have also stayed numerous times at Africa Sky and Afton House, but with the ever growing problems with crime in Jo-burg, I prefer City Lodge. City Lodge does have a killer breakfast buffet, and during my last visit, City Lodge also had a great dinner buffet as well. Not sure if either will be happening going forward.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing beats the convenience and safety of the InterContinental and City Lodge.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Africa Sky is my choice. Great food, interesting international travellers and hunters to meet, friendly African staff. The owners Schutte Bekker, a national Rugby Champion, and Diedre are good people. Also the staff does a perfect job on the guns import and "meet and greet".

At Africa Sky I really get in the African way and sometimes take an interesting tour on the city. If you are a history buff like me, take a Soweto tour and see the Apartheid Museum. Africa Sky will organize it for you. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote