One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted
Just found this one FB.120+

Posts: 2634 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's one hell of a bull!!!
Being next to the "land of the elephants" definitely has it's advantages.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
also with a blaser and scope Wink

Posts: 2634 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys - I've said this so many times about this area/SSG.

If you are willing to roll with the punches to a degree, and willing to go home empty - handed, you might just shoot the biggest elephant you could ever imagine. Areas like this are not for everyone, not for the guy who wants to see lots of bulls, or track lots of bulls. You must catch them when they come out of the park. Nixon has told me about this bull for several years now, I'm sure its the same one. He's seen him numerous times, but the bull always made it to safety before they could catch up to him, apparently not this time!?!? I also tell guys to go there in Sept - Nov if they want a chance at a big tusker.

I would go with a very open mind, but I would go again for sure! I had numerous guys this year hunt buffalo with SSG too, most did really well.

What a spectacular Bull!!!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bobby (Duxdog) had just shot a 90 pounder when I was there a few years ago.

Posts: 20069 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow way to go

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
What a trophy, holy balls
Been there, hell of area with awesome potential
Hopefully, ivory poachers won't hit it hard.
I got lucky there with 84 lbs and got it home before that damn ban

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I got lucky there with 84 lbs and got it home before that damn ban

Good on you! That's a tremendous trophy!

Posts: 20069 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Too nice of an elephant to take,IMO.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe I am not a elephant guy - one who likes to hunt/kill em.

But shooting an elephant like that is kind of like shooting the last tasmanian devil. This elephant will not be replaced for a long time given the terrible state of african elephants. By the time an average elephant grows to something like this the average AR member will be hunting in different grounds (hopefully heavenly).

The other side is this is africa and maybe poachers get it or will die and waste away in the wild instead of preserved in someones trophy room.

But I rather value a 50 pounder shot in the save more than 120 pounder shot outside a national park. I don't have the same compassion for lions as they are short lived animals. This applies mainly to elephants and crocs - something that has a life expectancy more than mine.

See I said something very politically incorrect by AR standards but I did not p*ss on anyones hunt report.

Biebs - too magnificent an animal to get shot with a Blaser - a old english double would be more appropriate. (This is just to pull Biebs chain I am not making fun of the hunter)

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a special edition Blaser Selous...nice piece.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
That's a special edition Blaser Selous...nice piece.

True - 15K high end Cool

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
Maybe I am not a elephant guy - one who likes to hunt/kill em.

But shooting an elephant like that is kind of like shooting the last tasmanian devil. This elephant will not be replaced for a long time given the terrible state of african elephants. By the time an average elephant grows to something like this the average AR member will be hunting in different grounds (hopefully heavenly).

The other side is this is africa and maybe poachers get it or will die and waste away in the wild instead of preserved in someones trophy room.

But I rather value a 50 pounder shot in the save more than 120 pounder shot outside a national park. I don't have the same compassion for lions as they are short lived animals. This applies mainly to elephants and crocs - something that has a life expectancy more than mine.

See I said something very politically incorrect by AR standards but I did not p*ss on anyones hunt report.

Biebs - too magnificent an animal to get shot with a Blaser - a old english double would be more appropriate. (This is just to pull Biebs chain I am not making fun of the hunter)

Mike

I hear what you are saying Mike. If the world were a perfect place , I might agree . The unfortunate reality is that there is no assurance that this bull would last another day. The poachers have run rampant in that part of the world .

Maybe one day I will get a crack at a bull like that. If I ever do, I can only hope it is taken after a long hard walk tracking the bull and taken with something other than a Blaser. The last part was a joke.

Posts: 11903 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:

Maybe one day I will get a crack at a bull like that. If I ever do, I can only hope it is taken after a long hard walk tracking the bull . . .

My sentiments exactly . . . and up close with a double.

Mike

Posts: 21062 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup

Posts: 11903 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Never near that big in my wildest dreams.

Ditto what Larry and Mike wrote above, the doubles barrels would have a hint of patina.

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Incredible Eeker

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is the one instance where I agree that the best tool is a large-caliber double rifle...hunting the majestic Elephant!

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Awesome bull. Special beyond description in today's hunting environment.

clap beer

Taken with a Blaser?

barf 2020

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Phenomenal, simply phenomenal. I hope the hunter is from a country that allows importation. To shoot such a trophy and then not be able to enjoy those tusks and being able to pass them as heirlooms to other generations would be tough on me personally.

A Caldesi quality trophy if there ever was one.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm hearing the hunter is from Mexico, but I've heard Germany too. Not sure where to be honest? Either way, congrats to him!!

Fact is, this could be the best African Trophy taken in the past 20 years, maybe more?

Shoot him, I most certainly would! With a double at 10 yards, or a scoped rifle at a 100 yards. Quoting my favorite lying politician, "what difference does it make?" Smiler

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bambazonke
posted Hide Post
well done those hunters tu2
anything from a 9.3x62 - 700, bolt action or double will do the job there
fantastic well done

Posts: 104 | Location: Zimbabwe somewhere | Registered: 31 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ahmed Sultan
posted Hide Post
That is a Ele hunter's dream trophy right there, congratulations to everyone involved.

Ahmed Sultan

One of Us
Picture of ManuelM
posted Hide Post
My god, this has to be the best elephant taken in africa in easily 30 years, I have never heard of a tusker breaking the 115 lbs barrier since the bull Kai Uwe Denker shot in namibia years ago, truly congratulations to the lucky hunter and to Nixon! Really hope this elephant did not had a name Big Grin

Manuel Maldonado
MM Sonoran Desert Hunters
https://www.facebook.com/huntingMM

Posts: 530 | Location: Hermosillo, Sonora | Registered: 06 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Really hope this elephant did not had a name

+1

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful ele!

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Amazing trophy. Congratulations to all concerned.

Any confirmation on the ivory weight?

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11005 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What an extraordinary tusker! The trophy of many lifetimes!!!

I agree that to be taken with a big bore double would be the proper thing, but if i had my blaser in hand when this old boy showed himself, i wouldn't hesitate one bit!!!!

Congrats to all involved with this trophy.

cheers

Nick

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kallie404
posted Hide Post
What an amazing trophy !! Not taking anything away from the hunter and the trophy but I am quite sure this bull wandered off from Kruger Park into Zim.( Im not saying Zim don't have big elephants ) Just good luck being at the right place at the right time !!

Posts: 109 | Location: Mooketsi& Phalaborwa Limpopo Province RSA | Registered: 13 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
Congrats to the lucky hunter and Nixon and crew. Great bunch of guys in a great area.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
quote:
Malapati

Wow. Would like to hear a report of the hunt. Seeing that bull moving through the bush and trying to get into a shooting position must have been a real heart stopper. Congratulations all round.

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
https://www.facebook.com/game.animals

There is another photo of the elephant on the "Game Animals of the Past and Present" site.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9344 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic animal. A very lucky hunter! A report would be very welcome Smiler

Regards

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
quote:
Really hope this elephant did not had a name

+1

Only American liberals name wild animals, so if the hunter is from either Mexico or Germany, should be no problem.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never seen anything like it. It unreal. Congrats to the hunter. My experience in this area is these big ele very seldom come out of the park. I would like to know the average taken there in the last 24 months.
this is the first big one I have personally heard of in many many months.

Guys don't get trigger happy on this area, I have been there. Lots of the guys that shot big elephant with Nixion were buff hunting and one guy was even plains game hunting. If your with nixion and you see a big one and have the cash you are an elephant hunter. First hand experience and the advice from other PH's

I know I will get trashed for this but the above is very true. I don't have an agenda just thought some facts should come out. I think this is what this forum is all about. Good with the bad, then you decide.

that said this is a ele hunter dream...

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
We definitely need report and no name of the tusker
I love elephant hunting and being in right place at the right time is what's hunting is all about.
I hunted with Nixon and my hunt was tough with lot of walking/tracking.
My hunt was the other way around, I hunted elephants and shot couple of great Buffs
So Jeff, it goes all the way around

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeff h:
I have never seen anything like it. It unreal. Congrats to the hunter. My experience in this area is these big ele very seldom come out of the park. I would like to know the average taken there in the last 24 months.
this is the first big one I have personally heard of in many many months.

Guys don't get trigger happy on this area, I have been there. Lots of the guys that shot big elephant with Nixion were buff hunting and one guy was even plains game hunting. If your with nixion and you see a big one and have the cash you are an elephant hunter. First hand experience and the advice from other PH's

I know I will get trashed for this but the above is very true. I don't have an agenda just thought some facts should come out. I think this is what this forum is all about. Good with the bad, then you decide.

that said this is a ele hunter dream...

Jeff - Nothing you've said above is not pretty darn accurate, I can't imagine anyone trashing you for it at all?

Finding a huge jumbo is very seldom possible, true that! Here, or anywhere!! Rarely do the really big tuskers come out of the park, also true! Fact is, the average bull from this area is most likely in the high 40's. Are the odds long, and luck a huge factor - no doubt! Isn't that always the case on truly huge trophies?

Since 2011 - I am fairly certain this area as a whole (Ghonarzhou border areas) have produced more big tuskers than anywhere in Zim, by a bunch! In fact, since 2011 Nixon's areas have produced 4 bulls over 80lbs, mine included. Heck I shot my 84 pounder while I was out looking for a Kudu! At least one over 90lbs by another AR member, a single tusker that went 101lbs, and now this giant - that's right at 120 and 122 respectively. Not counting several in the 50's, 60's and one in the 70's as I recall. Is there anywhere in Africa that can say that over the past 4 years? Not to mention all of the huge buffalo they've killed too - but again, NOT BY EVERYONE!!! My clients alone have taken several bulls over 44", a 46", a 48", a 49" and one that broke 50". Heck, I passed one that I thought was roughly 47", cause I was at the truck and I didn't want to shoot him from the truck.

Your assessment is spot on, no doubt! But I've always said this, and it will continue to be true. This area is not for the first-timer, the outfitter is "rough around the edges" for sure, and one needs to be experienced - both in the field and around camp. Be able to judge your own trophy, and know how to hunt yourself. With that said, one's thing is for sure. If you want to catch a big fish, you must fish where the big fish are! Your odds of these big tuskers is low, very low, but most other places your odds are non-existent. Luck is a huge factor here, but isn't it most always when it comes to huge trophies? With all that said, if one is willing to understand all of this - one could get very lucky and shoot a buff or elephant of one's lifetime. Across most of Africa, and most of Zim now - trophies like these aren't even possible at all anymore.

Just my opinion / two cents worth, but you certainly shouldn't think you will get roasted for your opinion - its true!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
Aaron and Jeff H are spot on about Nixon.

Posts: 753 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The most recent elephants this one reminds me of are the big ones taken in Ethiopia in the 80's. Big ones taken since by Denker and in Bots have "stumpier" Ivory.

Check out the SCI record book and you will see the similarity in the tusks.

Congrats all!

Posts: 1851 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
part Mastodon?

Posts: 2316 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote