Malapati tusker / Nixon
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
More info on the hunt

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/new...ter-in-Zimbabwe.html

Nixon Dzingai, the professional hunter who led the hunt, said the elephant had arrived unexpectedly one morning towards the end of the German’s trip, and they had not realised the size of his tusks until it was too late.
"We did not have to stalk the elephant it just showed up at 7.30 in the morning, before the heat. I was so surprised when we saw how the horns. My client did not ask for this, he just wanted an elephant,” he told The Telegraph.
He defended the hunt as legitimate however, pointing to the age of the elephant. “I estimate this one was 60 years-old,” he said. “Anyone could see it was a very old elephant.”

Mike

"until it was too late"
It sounds like he was concerned somewhat about taking this particular animal.If so how can he explain the pictures on social media?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nixon sounds like an f'ing idiot with that statement.

Posts: 11958 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:

I chuckled about that too, e.g., we did not realize the size of the tusks until it was too late.

Mike

Posts: 21208 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
quote:

Very much so. IF he truly said it.

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:

I chuckled about that too, e.g., we did not realize the size of the tusks until it was too late.

Yup.' One would expect to hear that on the low end of the scale.

Posts: 11958 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Nixon is great guy , very knowledgeable about local areas and wildlife and fun to be around
If that's exactly how he said is most likely trying to protect his livelihood as We all know in Zim, gov is watching every step you make.

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
More info on the hunt

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/new...ter-in-Zimbabwe.html

Nixon Dzingai, the professional hunter who led the hunt, said the elephant had arrived unexpectedly one morning towards the end of the German’s trip, and they had not realised the size of his tusks until it was too late. "We did not have to stalk the elephant it just showed up at 7.30 in the morning, before the heat. I was so surprised when we saw how the horns. My client did not ask for this, he just wanted an elephant,” he told The Telegraph.
He defended the hunt as legitimate however, pointing to the age of the elephant. “I estimate this one was 60 years-old,” he said. “Anyone could see it was a very old elephant.”

Mike

What a load of croc shit!!! Anyone who believes that, I have some beach-front property in Malawi for them to view!!!

Posts: 175 | Location: Somewhere in a sale-barn | Registered: 07 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
Nixon is great guy , very knowledgeable about local areas and wildlife and fun to be around
If that's exactly how he said is most likely trying to protect his livelihood as We all know in Zim, gov is watching every step you make.

Roll Eyes Nixon owns the government! You need to become better informed! shame

Posts: 175 | Location: Somewhere in a sale-barn | Registered: 07 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cow-trader:
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:

Roll Eyes Nixon owns the government! You need to become better informed! shame

I saw the big signs all over the place at the airport say Barclay's so I figured they owned it. rotflmo

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I saw an article about this on the Nat Geo site which links to this thread. It describes the role old male elephants play in their society which is the same basic role as any one of us. Rather than flame anyone who thinks trophy hunting is stupid here's another take: American love their animals and one of the saddest things you can endure is having to let the vet put one down. And we know elephants are smarter than a lot of humans so seeing a majestic animal killed for dubious reasons is a vile thing to do in the opinion of most of the world. Same for lion killers. Hunting to eat is one thing, killing to brag is another.

Posts: 9 | Location: nc | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Cow-trader, I agree with you wholeheartedly, but you never know and anything can be political, as we all know, in Zim, nobody is safe from political strife and political muscles.

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.

“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://news.nationalgeographic...n-africa-ivory-trade

doesn't seem to give trophy hunting as conservation a fair shake but I didn't really expect it to be fair to our side

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bottom of the article reads...

This story was produced by National Geographic's Special Investigations Unit, which focuses on wildlife crime and is made possible by a grant from the BAND Foundation.

Anyone familiar with who/what that is?

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by targetshootr:
I saw an article about this on the Nat Geo site which links to this thread. It describes the role old male elephants play in their society which is the same basic role as any one of us. Rather than flame anyone who thinks trophy hunting is stupid here's another take: American love their animals and one of the saddest things you can endure is having to let the vet put one down. And we know elephants are smarter than a lot of humans so seeing a majestic animal killed for dubious reasons is a vile thing to do in the opinion of most of the world. Same for lion killers. Hunting to eat is one thing, killing to brag is another.

Jeeze mate I think you've popped onto the wrong site! Your just like some wankers on face book who say they hunt but only for meat, then go on to flame "trophy" hunters . The anti's don't give a shit what you do with your kill, they want ALL hunting stopped, THEN they want all shooting stopped. Do you know what happened to the meat of that elephant? Bet ya it didn't go to waste.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7975 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bakes:
quote:

Jeeze mate I think you've popped onto the wrong site! Your just like some wankers on face book who say they hunt but only for meat, then go on to flame "trophy" hunters . The anti's don't give a shit what you do with your kill, they want ALL hunting stopped, THEN they want all shooting stopped. Do you know what happened to the meat of that elephant? Bet ya it didn't go to waste.

archer

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did this elephant not get eaten? Do you have that information?

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nixons statement was not the most articulated or very well thought out one. I also feel he is making a mistake defending this hunt-there is nothing to defend as it was all above board- it is a negative approach. It is a legal hunt and he should rather focus on the benefits derived from shooting this bull- the antis do not need any more ammo!

As hunters we need to stand by and support the PH and client on this hunt. Yes we can view our opinions such as collaring big bulls etc but the actual hunt was legit and needs our backing for the benefit of all hunters. There really has now come a time where we need to stand together.

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buzz Charlton:
Nixons statement was not the most articulated or very well thought out one. I also feel he is making a mistake defending this hunt-there is nothing to defend as it was all above board- it is a negative approach. It is a legal hunt and he should rather focus on the benefits derived from shooting this bull- the antis do not need any more ammo!

As hunters we need to stand by and support the PH and client on this hunt. Yes we can view our opinions such as collaring big bulls etc but the actual hunt was legit and needs our backing for the benefit of all hunters. There really has now come a time where we need to stand together.

No doubt, the hunting community needs to support the PH and Hunter. However the Government of Zimbabwe also needs to support the PH, the Hunter and the overall concept of hunting and conservation. Why hasn't the Government stepped up and said this was a legal hunt, and spoke of the positive benefits of hunting as a conservation tool. They seem more interested in pandering to the Antis and throwing hunters under the proverbial bus. As a traveling hunter, it certainly doesn't give me a good feeling about hunting in Zimbabwe in the future. If I travel to Zim, and LEGALLY shoot an exceptional trophy like a nice black maned lion, or 50 inch Buffalo, or 60 inch Kudu or 90 pound elephant,....do I need to worry about being arrested???,....or have my name plastered all over internet???? I don't need that headache in my life.

Over the past few month the Zim government has appeared more embarrassed about hunting, than supportive of it. Nixon's statement about this hunt sounds more like an apology than anything else.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1284 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:

This. Hang together or hang separately, that is our choice.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Very well said Buzz!!

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would not like to see collars on animals if ever I visited a park.If an animal decides to leave a park and wonder or spend most of its time outside then it no longer is a park animal.Collars don't belong on animals.

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Agreed
Exactly me thought

“ Hávamál”

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:

100% Spot On Buzz.

tu2

One of Us
Picture of Cajun1956
posted Hide Post
Assuming that the photo of the Malapati tusker is legitimate and applicable, why would someone leak (or post) the photo to social media (especially after the Cecil debacle)? To quote Walt Kelly's comic strip Pogo "We have met the enemy and he is us".

DSC Life Member
HSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
SCI
RMEF

Posts: 2021 | Location: Republic of Texico | Registered: 20 June 2012Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:

Some people would like all hunting stopped but they're not aware that we'd have to pay someone else to control certain populations like deer. But elephants and some big cats may be extinct in 100 year so it's hard to argue that killing any of them is a bright idea.

One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Some people would like all hunting stopped but they're not aware that we'd have to pay someone else to control certain populations like deer. But elephants and some big cats may be extinct in 100 year so it's hard to argue that killing any of them is a bright idea.

But why are those and other species threatened? Anyone who has spent much time in Africa knows the reason and it's not hunting. Responsible hunting is part of the solution and not part of the problem.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The wild animals of Africa are still around only because of hunting-look at Kenya.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Milo Shanghai:
But why are those and other species threatened? Anyone who has spent much time in Africa knows the reason and it's not hunting. Responsible hunting is part of the solution and not part of the problem.

Poachers. But how does killing more elephants help. You should hunt poachers instead like some of the locals are paid to do. Regardless, you'll never win the argument when the whole world is against it.

One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Poachers. But how does killing more elephants help. You should hunt poachers instead like some of the locals are paid to do. Regardless, you'll never win the argument when the whole world is against it.

Poachers are not anywhere near the root of the problem.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Apart from Africa, Russia, Asia, and substantial regions of the USA and Europe to name a few. Let us not forget the indigenous peoples that populate the planet.

That leaves us with a few subsidy dependant pot smoking hippies.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9868 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Many comments here are totally absurd.

Anyone who demurs from shooting a 120 pound elephant but thinks it's OK to shoot a 50 pound elephant, or a white tailed deer, is a RASCIST from the standpoint of the deer.

I have killed two elephants (both smaller than 120 pounds--duh!) and would have shot a 120 pounder if I'd encountered one.

I just hope SCI is prepared for the sh--storm this time instead of standing around with their thumbs up their a-- like they did last time.

Indy

Life is short. Hunt hard.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:

The dentist who killed the lion learned there must be many more millions of subsidy dependent pot smoking hippies around the world than he thought.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:

The dentist who killed the lion learned there must be many more millions of subsidy dependent pot smoking hippies around the world than he thought.

donttroll

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Target shooter Target shooter, are you a plant? Like a plant or plant?
Sneaky little bastard are you?
You might think you are smart but we see right thru you, nutty buddy...

“ Hávamál”

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cajun1956:
Assuming that the photo of the Malapati tusker is legitimate and applicable, why would someone leak (or post) the photo to social media (especially after the Cecil debacle)?

Because fuck the antis that's why. I also stand by my position that living a life in the shadows is NOT AT ALL beneficial to hunting. Much better to bring our activities to the forefront, stand by them proudly, and then follow that up with very public expressions of logic explaining how these actions are beneficial to wildlife. Over time, the more their rants yield no results, the loonies will be perceived as loonies by everyone else. Sure, there will be people you will never convince, but they will be a minority (and that's ok) and they would have been ranting and raving against you anyway whether you lived in the shadows or not.

If every hunter made their most controversial trophy photo their FB cover image or profile photo or even their office desktop, we could desensitize people pretty quickly. It would not be costless, but it would be easier in the long term than this pussy-footing around.

One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

A. Who do you think pays the anti-poaching patrols most of the time? Answer: Hunting outfitters.

B. Social-media obsessed children do not the whole world make. Yes, they can have a very scary, ignorant impact. But it's not a majority. And it's certainly not the opinion of the indigenous people living in the area where the hunting takes place.

How arrogant for a bunch of bleeding-heart city dwellers in another country thousands of miles away to try to stop a means of income (and meat) that puts food in the native peoples' children's mouths.

Your naïve assumptions and exaggerations expose your youth, inexperience and lack of perspective.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cajun1956
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tendrams:
quote:
Originally posted by Cajun1956:
Assuming that the photo of the Malapati tusker is legitimate and applicable, why would someone leak (or post) the photo to social media (especially after the Cecil debacle)?

Because fuck the antis that's why. I also stand by my position that living a life in the shadows is NOT AT ALL beneficial to hunting. Much better to bring our activities to the forefront, stand by them proudly, and then follow that up with very public expressions of logic explaining how these actions are beneficial to wildlife. Over time, the more their rants yield no results, the loonies will be perceived as loonies by everyone else. Sure, there will be people you will never convince, but they will be a minority (and that's ok) and they would have been ranting and raving against you anyway whether you lived in the shadows or not.

If every hunter made their most controversial trophy photo their FB cover image or profile photo or even their office desktop, we could desensitize people pretty quickly. It would not be costless, but it would be easier in the long term than this pussy-footing around.

So Mr. Tendrams, with all due respect, can you be so kind as to help me understand why Germany is threatening to ban the importation of this elephant's ivory, why Australia has banned the importation of lion and elephant, why the USF&W has banned the importation of polar bear, why the USF&W has banned the importation of elephant, why Delta has banned the transportation of the Big 5, etc. Are these decisions based on "scientific facts" or "public opinion"? I am not advocating "living a life in the shadows". "We could desensitize people pretty quickly". Are you serious? So, from your perspective, this is a golden opportunity for the anonymous hunter to step out of the shadows, bring this issue to the forefront, stand by his decision proudly, and then follow that up with a very public expression of logic explaining how these actions are beneficial to wildlife. Good luck my friend.

DSC Life Member
HSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
SCI
RMEF

Posts: 2021 | Location: Republic of Texico | Registered: 20 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Thanks for making my point. The problem is not that we are too public now, it is that we are not public enough. Hiding is NOT working so it's time to take a different strategy.

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Tendrams is right and Cajun, no matter what we do the antis will do what they do so we just give them fair fight and not scurry around in shadows
I for one have pic of ele bull on my FB cover
Just like everything in life, live your life according to you not others way of thinking

“ Hávamál”

one of us
posted Hide Post
Problem is that many so called hunters could not care less of their actions.As long as they shoot their buff or whatever the hell with everyone else.They are ok with very few regulations during their time and a whole load of regulations for others.Others want to become famous as hunters,make their way up the hunting club ranks,make the most money from hunting etc...They just can't accept going on a hunt and sharing their experiences with a very few.