Notify
Tools

DSC observations
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go see Lex Webernick. Rifles Inc.

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 481 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
quote:
i wish the show was bigger so there is more to check out

Uhhh...there’s over 800,000 square feet of show, maybe you missed a bit of it. Looks like it might be a record breaking convention. It’ll take a few days to total attendance, but registration revenue for the first three days exceeds that of any previous four day convention. Lots of happy outfitters and lots of outfitters asking for booth space next year.

It was fantastic no doubt. So much fun . Lots of smiling faces.

Thanks to you and Rebecca for everything.

+ 1

Posts: 1853 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drj:
Go see Lex Webernick. Rifles Inc.

Good idea.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Booked an elephant hunt. Outfitter said he booked more hunts yesterday( Friday) than he booked the entire SCI show. Wife and I really enjoyed the show.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13105 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
First time at the show in 5 years. Booked a double buffalo hunt with Buzz for July.

Saw some old buds. Larry Shores, Mike Jines, Russell Marshall, Blake, Dave Fulson and others. Even passed Shootaway in one of the hallways.

My interest had wained for awhile. Looking forward to getting back into it.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
Booked an elephant hunt. Outfitter said he booked more hunts yesterday( Friday) than he booked the entire SCI show. Wife and I really enjoyed the show.

Great to hear this!

We have two completely different organizations.

One that blackmails and competes with its members, and could not careless about anything except fleecing them as much as possible.

And we have another organization formed after some decent members with common sense left SCI.

And now they are showing them how to run it.

Well done DSC.

Proud of all you do for us as hunters! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66766 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The convention was packed today, outfitter's are reporting lots of activity. Everyone has been very friendly around the show, hotel's and restaurant's. Overall I think it's been a great show. I think I saw Karl with his knee walker on Friday but didn't realize it till I saw his post, I will watch for you tomorrow. Stuck my head in the AR after the show yesterday and no one was there. I also attended the AH dinner and had a great time.

Posts: 1012 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
6-DSC needs to have more benches spread around where one can sit. SCI has them beat badly in this area.

Great point. I can still walk for hours, but standing around all day, my back gets really bad. If more benches or chairs were spread throughout the floor it would certainly help some of us.

When oil prices plummeted in 2014-2015, it seemed like international hunts suffered some, due to the demographics of the DSC clientele. This year it seemed like African hunts were back with a vengeance. It was great hearing the optimism in outfitters voices when you talked to them. Their booths were full.

Posts: 800 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It would be hard to understand why SCI would continue in Reno after reading these posts. What additional proof would they need?

If I ever decide to go to one or the other shows, it will be DSC...

Posts: 2638 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AilsaWheels:
quote:
6-DSC needs to have more benches spread around where one can sit. SCI has them beat badly in this area.

Great point. I can still walk for hours, but standing around all day, my back gets really bad. If more benches or chairs were spread throughout the floor it would certainly help some of us.

When oil prices plummeted in 2014-2015, it seemed like international hunts suffered some, due to the demographics of the DSC clientele. This year it seemed like African hunts were back with a vengeance. It was great hearing the optimism in outfitters voices when you talked to them. Their booths were full.

I hear you. I can walk all day but standing kills my feet.

Posts: 11909 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:
It would be hard to understand why SCI would continue in Reno after reading these posts. What additional proof would they need?

If I ever decide to go to one or the other shows, it will be DSC...

A contract is a pretty good reason.

I hate Reno personally. However, I think the bigger problem is the back to back shows. Think this year was bad, wait until next year. There will be one day less between them.

Posts: 11909 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
It’s not just SCI and DSC, but ATA, Wild Sheep, and SHOT are all bunched up. The organizers don’t have much of a say, as the convention centers are booked well in advance.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like most everyone else, I asked just about every vendor there how the show was going, and how SCI was. Every one said that SCI was abysmal. My long time Namibia outfitter is booked almost 100% for '19, '20, and half of '21. He said the Reno SCI was the worst show he's ever been to anywhere.
Every vendor said that they had DSC reps personally come by their booth and ask how they were doing, if they needed anything, and thanked them for coming. SCI is more concerned with their egos and bank account.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
For the exhibitor, the name of the game is MARKETING! The objective is to make sales to grow or maintain the business. Company management/owners must spend their time and money wisely to make the most of each.

You may like the Florida winter climate, but if D.C is where your prospects are, then you exhibit there; even if you hate the cold, snow, and bad neighborhood near the convention center; been there done that.

Dallas and the DSC make for a top place to showcase outdoor wares.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Agreed, DSC has never been about egos. I recall going to the early conventions at the hotel by DFW airport, the Anatole, Market Hall, and now Dallas Convention Center.

I’m fairly certain the convention chairs, officers, volunteers (DSC 100) sacrifice from their “real jobs” to make it to be the “Greatest Hunting Show on the Planet.”

My hat is off to all.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
DCS M
I remember the Market Hall shows and have been to more than half the shows since. Good fun for all!

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Sitting at the Admirals Club at DFW awaiting our flight home. It was a very nice show and we greatly enjoyed it- as always. SCI is a sinking ship and DSC is the wave of the future.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
An outfitter told me that DSC, Karl Evans in particular, spent more time with them and provided more support in Reno than did SCI.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3504 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lhook7:
An outfitter told me that DSC, Karl Evans in particular, spent more time with them and provided more support in Reno than did SCI.

Wow... I’m humbled. To me it’s about the exhibitor and not the organization and I help where I can.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2723 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
quote:
Originally posted by Lhook7:

Wow... I’m humbled. To me it’s about the exhibitor and not the organization and I help where I can.

I saw you at the show on Thursday and was going to introduce myself and pass on the feedback in person, but you were busy and I was becoming enamored with a double rifle.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3504 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Thanks to Karl, the modest paid staff at DSC and most importantly the entire team of volunteers for hosting a great convention. The DSC team does Texas proud.

tu2

Mike

Posts: 21093 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
1 volunteer who believes in the cause will outwork 5 paid employees and 10 union flunkies. DSC is simply a well run and staffed organization.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I made the rounds today. Got there about when it opened, no trouble parking. Was not crowded, which is why I went today and not yesterday. Got to see most everybody I wanted to, spent a little more than I planned, and left around 2.

FYI Hornady rep said I was the only one to ever ask that they start loading .318 Rimless Nitro Express... Confused

Apologies to the guy signing books at the Safari Press booth....maybe I picked the wrong way to say I was not interested in a book listing each subspecies of every African animal. Did buy a bunch of WDM Bell.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Charles Helm, I ran into the same guy and he cornered me and was very enthusiastic! I certainly never knew there were that many species/sub-species of Zebra. I felt kind of bad that I left without buying his book! Last year, I asked Hornady about .318, since they already make a .330 205 grain bullet, but just got the blank stare! As usual, it was a great show. Did anyone else besides me, lust over that WC Scott double in 250/3000 on Caswell's table? I was sorely tempted!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2247 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lee440:
Charles Helm, I ran into the same guy and he cornered me and was very enthusiastic! I certainly never knew there were that many species/sub-species of Zebra. I felt kind of bad that I left without buying his book!

I felt bad for him....almost as bad as I felt for John Sharp, sitting alone in his booth looking bored...but I did not feel bad about not buying the book.

quote:
Originally posted by lee440:
Last year, I asked Hornady about .318, since they already make a .330 205 grain bullet, but just got the blank stare!

Bullets or ammo? I told them to write it down 'cause I am going to ask again next year....

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought DSC was great this year.

Talked to a lot of folks and got similar feedback to everyone else on DSC vs SCI.

As was mentioned earlier in the thread, the fact DSC is run by volunteers who come across as genuinely caring about exhibitor success was highlighted to me on more than one occasion. I went by Champlins and asked George if he was going back to SCI next year - he made it clear he is done. Seems like some bridges have been burned by more than the move to Reno.

I think its healthy to have two strong shows and hope the issues in Reno don't prevent SCI from regaining momentum at some point in the future. I agree with Larry that the timing is a big factor - no one wants to spend a weekend walking around booths for two weeks in a row.

Posts: 504 | Location: California | Registered: 04 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10generation:
I agree with Larry that the timing is a big factor - no one wants to spend a weekend walking around booths for two weeks in a row.

As much fun as we had, I was ready to get home after SCI & DSC back to back. Next year will be worse. DSC will be first and there will be one less day.

We have discussed whether we really want to do both next year.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was a terrific show. Sue and I had a great time, spent time with friends, and bought some stuff.
Stayed at the Lorenzo, the shuttle service was a nice plus at the end of the day.
Our first time using Uber, talk about slick! Made the pilgrimage to the Sixth Floor Museum this morning before coming to the airport.

Posts: 1978 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
3 out of 5 taxis I took in downtown dallas tried to rip me off.All three did not turn on there meter.I knew the cost for the taxi ride was about 7 dollars to my hotel.One driver told me that my hotel is far and should cost me around 30 or 40 dollars.Another asked for 30 when re reached my hotel and I told him I would not give him more than 8 to which he replied he was going to drive me back to the convention.I ended up giving him 9.The hotel gave me the number for cowboy cab then all went well.I still have their number so next time there I know who to call.Here is their number should anyone need a straight taxi driver.214 482-0202 "Cowboy Cab"

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
3 out of 5 taxis I took in downtown dallas tried to rip me off.All three did not turn on there meter.I knew the cost for the taxi ride was about 7 dollars to my hotel.One driver told me that my hotel is far and should cost me around 30 or 40 dollars.Another asked for 30 when re reached my hotel and I told him I would not give him more than 8 to which he replied he was going to drive me back to the convention.I ended up giving him 9.The hotel gave me the number for cowboy cab then all went well.I still have their number so next time there I know who to call.Here is their number should anyone need a straight taxi driver.214 482-0202 "Cowboy Cab"

One word.......UBER

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7574 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I agree with Larry that the timing is a big factor - no one wants to spend a weekend walking around booths for two weeks in a row.

As much fun as we had, I was ready to get home after SCI & DSC back to back. Next year will be worse. DSC will be first and there will be one less day.

If you had to pick one which would it be?

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7574 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Shootaway and Frostbit

Or stay at a hotel on the shuttle service route. We had curbside pickup at the hotel.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:
quote:

If you had to pick one which would it be?

That depends. If it was in Vegas, SCI. That selection would be made because of the other things to do. As it is, DSC.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crshelton:
Shootaway and Frostbit

Or stay at a hotel on the shuttle service route. We had curbside pickup at the hotel.

What was the nightly rate for your hotel? I had a good rate for the Crown Plaza.It is a short walk to the convention.I screwed up my reservation there.The rate I got at the Crown Plaza was 139/night.I paid 90/night at the Best Western market centre.It had a good restaurant just across the street-the Rodeo goat.It also had free breakfast.However staying there I had to stay at the convention the whole day.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
First time at the show in 5 years. Booked a double buffalo hunt with Buzz for July.

Saw some old buds. Larry Shores, Mike Jines, Russell Marshall, Blake, Dave Fulson and others. Even passed Shootaway in one of the hallways.

My interest had wained for awhile. Looking forward to getting back into it.

Among the AR members I saw were Mike Jines, and Robert(lee440).I thought I would see you there Todd but I didn't.You were probably at the CM booth the whole time.Good luck on your upcoming hunt.BTW,Richard Tabor pointed out the spot you shot your leopard at in Makuti.Oh yes,I also met the Judge at Ralf Martini's booth.He was looking young-good for many more safaris.

one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Enjoyed the AH dinner.My pleasure to meet Jerome,7mmnut,Lin Stanton,Greg,Jonathan Collett,Jim Grange,Country ??,and others whose names I can't recall.

Missed you!

I was the guy giving away the John Sharp books.

Maybe next year!

Tim

0351 USMC

Posts: 1531 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tarbe:
quote:
Enjoyed the AH dinner.My pleasure to meet Jerome,7mmnut,Lin Stanton,Greg,Jonathan Collett,Jim Grange,Country ??,and others whose names I can't recall.

Missed you!

I was the guy giving away the John Sharp books.

Maybe next year!

Tim

Where you the guy giving the books away at the convention too? If so,I was wondering who that was.That booth was quite busy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like Retreever I had to miss this year. First time in many years. New judge college and impending bad weather.

Does anyone know the dates for next year?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The DSC show wins hands down for outfitters!

But the one thing I really liked about SCI was that it didn't open on Sunday. The Wednesday through Saturday format is much better, giving folks Sunday for travel.

That would be a godsend if DSC did that next year. With only one day between tear down in Dallas and setup in reno, man that is gonna be tough!

I for one really wish DSC would do the Wednesday through Saturday thing. Sunday is always slow anyway......

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I for one really wish DSC would do the Wednesday through Saturday thing. Sunday is always slow anyway......

Some of us like going when it is slow though...it can be hard to talk to people when it is packed.