New
Find
Notify
Tools

DSC observations
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My first thought is that this place is hopping. No comparison to SCI. Far busier.

Posts: 11946 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes. A lot busier. I can't wait to see Friday afternoon and saturday. Many people still checking in to the hotel this evsning.

Posts: 41767 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sold half of everything already. DSC is a good show for us normally and this year is no different. To me, it is nice to be appreciated by the working staff. They may be volunteers but without fail they act if it is just important to them. Thanks folks.

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Fisk:
I sold half of everything already. DSC is a good show for us normally and this year is no different. To me, it is nice to be appreciated by the working staff. They may be volunteers but without fail they act if it is just important to them. Thanks folks.

Did you expect anything else from Texans??

I landed in New York, and needed to get from JFK to La Guardia.

First person I asked how to go about it was a policeman.

He lloked at me like I was from another planet, and after my question he just turned around and walked away!!

Great welcome.

Next stop was Brownsville, Texas.

Firs man I met dragged me to the sea, telling me "put your feet in the water! That will make you come here again!"

Immediately I decided to make Texas my home to do my flying.

I felt just like being at home!

Especially with the sense of humor!

There was no PC in those days, and I was called every nasty name under the sun.

I even invented new ones to call them too!

And being Texans, they believed everything I said .

Because I was a "damn foreigner!" clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66913 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I had to work my “real job” today, but I heard it was great. I also heard from others what has been said about Reno being true.

I hope the best for all.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wish I was at dsc. First show I missed in a long time.

Irritated subsailor74 all day to check out stuff for me.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few more observations:

1-If the crossbow companies are here, I missed them.

2-For some reason they buyers seem to have a different attitude. As an example, Buzz’s wife sells a ton of her goods at DSC. She sells little at SCI. I have heard several say the same thing about their goods.

3- Some of the auction items went for very high prices.

4- One sees a lot more stands and feeders for deer DSC.

5-I have to give Trijicon some praise. I bought an infrared scope at SCI which they donated. The manual was not there. Stopped by their booth. They were all over it.

6-DSC needs to have more benches spread around where one can sit. SCI has them beat badly in this area.

7- For some reason, the floors seem harder in Dallas as compared to Reno.

8- There are some companies here who really aren’t selling their product. They are promoting their product. An example is Purina. I got some fantastic information about use of protein and minerals while talking with these people. Lots of good information available.

9- I bought a hunt that had been heavily promoted. Representatives of the DSC Foundation came over to thank me. I was impressed.

10- Met the new incoming SCI president. Seems like a real nice guy.

Posts: 11946 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a great time yesterday and there were a lot of people for a Thursday. Numerous exhibitors were complaining about SCI, a few who do not post here said they would not be exhibiting again while it is in Reno.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will try and drop in the ar
room at 5pm.i passed by sometime and found the door locked too.the show s floor space is smaller than at Vegas.to early for me to give a good comparison between both shows.i visited the school book depository and dealey plaza and enjoyed it.i was surprised that the distance from the shooters window to the spot Kennedy was shot is much shorter than I thought.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lhook7:
I had a great time yesterday and there were a lot of people for a Thursday. Numerous exhibitors were complaining about SCI, a few who do not post here said they would not be exhibiting again while it is in Reno.

Yes I heard the same thing. That’s all the venders talked about- difficulty to fly in, cramped spaces and the anemic crowd.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1428 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
A few more observations:

DSC needs to have more benches spread around where one can sit. SCI has them beat badly in this area.

For some reason, the floors seem harder in Dallas as compared to Reno.

Met the new incoming SCI president. Seems like a real nice guy.

Larry, I’ve never thought about benches (maybe because I seldom have sitting time), really good idea and I bet there’ll be some benches next year.
The floors seem harder because the carpet is much thinner than that in Reno, and much easier to push a knee walker across

Left one out, the incoming SCI President, Steve Skold, is a nice guy. I wish him nothing but the best.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2743 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Talked to a couple Ph’s that I have hunted with yesterday (Thursday) and they said “Reno was dead this year”.

I think DSC does it right and is/has taken the lead.

Posts: 223 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
Will be there for Saturday only, really depressed to only have one day to see the place. This will be our second time going, enjoyed the show last year.

Posts: 748 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I spoke with several exhibitors that were at Reno who told me they are going to focus more on DSC.

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 482 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
Had to change my plans as well. My guide Jason is in hospital and I have to run hunts. Hate I am not going to see you guys. Have fun.

Captain Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Definitely much busier than Reno. Everyone I have spoken with is happy.

I love the frozen lemonade.

I got all excited at the food court when I saw a barbecue sign. They had sausage and turkey. Not what I expected to see.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The food court in the north(?) end of the gun area has decent brisket Larry. DSC seems to be a smashing success according to every exhibitor I have spoken with!!

Posts: 1012 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having a great time! My wife visited the schoolbook depository this morning and really liked it.

Posts: 1859 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Today was one of our best days ever. A big cold front is coming through and maybe some people wanted to get it done before, or it was a really kick butt show. I never even got to walk anywhere.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Enjoyed the AH dinner.My pleasure to meet Jerome,7mmnut,Lin Stanton,Greg,Jonathan Collett,Jim Grange,Country ??,and others whose names I can't recall.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All the outfitters that I talked to in Dallas that also went to Reno, said the SCI was bad. Nearly all of them said they were having a good show in Dallas. One hunting outfitter said that he talked to more people on Thursday in Dallas than he did the entire show at Reno. A fishing outfitter said he only talked to 2 people on Saturday at Reno.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1283 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DCS Member:
Today was one of our best days ever. A big cold front is coming through and maybe some people wanted to get it done before, or it was a really kick butt show. I never even got to walk anywhere.

I am wondering if this is going to impact the weekend. The wind is absolutely howling outside.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I too heard many times how disappointing Reno was.
That said when sci has it together there show is really good.i noticed exhibitors are more approachable and seemed less stressed a t DSC.i like the large floor space at sci st Mandalay.a cab driver w hi o did not want to turn on his metre charged me double last night.hartmann and Weiss were their for the first time I was told but their both was much busier at sci Vegas, same for some outfitters Imo.n Nicest bolt rifle I saw was 375h&h at martini gunmakers booth.i believe it was built on a Brazilian Mauser action.ralf sold it.Free wifi near the entrance and a very large video screen showing good hunting scenes.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Some day ...

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16352 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I had to miss going today...may go back tomorrow.

But...I spent all day Friday there from open to close of the show floor.

I don't think I have ever seen a busier Friday at DSC and I have been every year in the last 20.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36509 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Spoke to Lin Stanton about an hour ago. He says they are "Slammed"!!!!!!!!

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12861 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Talked to my favorite outfitters and all said this was " on fire". Three said they are not going to SCI again, especially if it is in Reno.

I was there to book a hunt to Ethiopia and Jason was sold out until 2021

Posts: 10136 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Just back at the farm from Thursday and Friday at DSC and it was a good show as it always has been. I did not work a booth this time and was able to see everything from guns to art work(which my wife enjoyed very much). She also met Colonel Allen West in the NRA hospitality suite and had her picture taken with him; it is already on Facebook. She also met an old friend from Mississippi in the Steve Barnett Fine Guns booth. We also saw many DWWC members wandering the floors.
The shuttle service from the hotel was curbside and quite regular - no complaints.
I chatted with several folks in their booths and the mood was upbeat and business was good.
Whoa- just was invited by text to an exotic ranch cull hunt March 11-12, gotta go!

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
quote:
Originally posted by DCS Member:

I am wondering if this is going to impact the weekend. The wind is absolutely howling outside.

I don't think the early morning weather affected attendance, the halls are packed. I finally gave up and went to my hotel at 2:00 pm, just couldn't maneuver my knee walker thru the crowds. Lots and lots of happy exhibitors.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2743 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Definitely packed today.

That wind was cold this morning!

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know what "table space" cost at DSC ?

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
One of these days I’ll make it to Dallas
Almost did this year but it was easier to drive to Reno
Sounds like it is especially successful show this year for operators and that’s awesome

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Definitely packed. Every single person I spoke with did far better here as opposed to Reno.

I bought a few miscellaneous things today. Generally discounts were being given. Perhaps they don’t want to pack them and ship them home.

Everyone seems to be a lot happier here as opposed to Reno.

Well done DSC.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had booked at the crown plaza but cancelled and could not reinstate so I booked at the best western at the market centre.i liked the hotel and Denny's and the rodeo goat just across the street.there was a lot of people at the show,mostly locals I guess.the seemed to want to buy up everything.dallas for me was a new experience,something different.i spent all day at the convention.most of the time I was in the gun area.i wish the show was bigger so there is more to check out.i bought John Sharp's book nothing else.i would have loved to buy another rifle and book another trip but I live in reality.biggest pleasure was being amongst people who enjoy hunting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
i wish the show was bigger so there is more to check out

Uhhh...there’s over 800,000 square feet of show, maybe you missed a bit of it. Looks like it might be a record breaking convention. It’ll take a few days to total attendance, but registration revenue for the first three days exceeds that of any previous four day convention. Lots of happy outfitters and lots of outfitters asking for booth space next year.

Karl Evans

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
quote:

Uhhh...there’s over 800,000 square feet of show, maybe you missed a bit of it. Looks like it might be a record breaking convention. It’ll take a few days to total attendance, but registration revenue for the first three days exceeds that of any previous four day convention. Lots of happy outfitters and lots of outfitters asking for booth space next year.

Is this all under one roof?

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
I think that seals the deal for me! Next year it will be DSC...

Shame - I always liked Reno as a town but it’s a lot of money for a pathetic convention - now in a state that it might be illegal to buy a pair of shoes !

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 893 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is all under one roof.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.

Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

Posts: 697 | Location: Dublin, Georgia | Registered: 19 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post
I could only spare a day, so I flew this morning from Oklahoma, took the DART to downtown, walked the show for 7 hours, and am now waiting to board my flight home. I enjoyed the show, but had to be selective as to which booths I stopped at.

I talked to Crusader Safaris in the morning about an early June hunt, and only realized at 12:50 that they had donated a silent auction hunt, closing at 1 p.m. I managed to register,bid, and win the hunt in less than 10 minutes. Smiler Then I went back to their booth and confirmed the dates.

Other than that, I bought magazine subscriptions (African Hunting Gazette, African Outfitter), back issues of Hunter’s Path, and a 1 ounce binocular “harness”. IMO, not bad for one day.

Jeff

Posts: 675 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
quote:

It was fantastic no doubt. So much fun . Lots of smiling faces.

Thanks to you and Rebecca for everything.