Find
Notify
Tools

ZIM Concession Holders
 Login/Join

Picture of T.Carr
posted
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I'm trying to put together a list of all the Zimbabwe concessions and the outfitters who hold the hunting rights thereon.

Here is my list so far. Any additons or corrections will be appreciated.

Binga (Communal Lands) - Russ Broom Safaris

Charara (Government Safari Area) -

Chete (Government Safari Area) - Burmakino Safaris (marketed by HHK Safaris)

Chewore North (Government Safari Area) - Big 5 Safaris

Chewore South (Government Safari Area) - Roger Whittall Safaris

Chirisa (Government Safari Area) - Famba Safaris (marketed by HHK Safaris)

Dande North (Communal Lands) - Swainsons Safaris

Dande South (Communal Lands) - Ingwe Safaris (Bill Bedford)

Deka (Government Safari Area) -

Doma (Government Safari Area) -

Makuti (Government Safari Area) - Klipkraal Safaris

[Is Makuti part of the Urungwe Safari Area????]

Matetsi Unit 1 (Government Safari Area) - Matetsi Safaris (marketed by HHK Safaris)

Matetsi Unit 2

Matetsi Unit 3

Matetsi Unit 4

Matetsi Unit 5 (Government Safari Area) - Mugundumu Safaris

Matetsi Unit 6

Matetsi Unit 7

Omay North (Communal Lands) - Bulembi Safaris (Butch Walker)

Omay South (Communal Lands) - National Safaris (marketed by HHK Safaris)

Sapi (Government Safari Area - Auction Area) - Chifuti Safaris I beleive this area is auctioned off every season and this season Chifuti Safaris bought all of the quota.

GAME RANCHES/CONSERVANCIES:

Lemco - Mazunga Safaris (marketed by HHK Safaris)

Save Valley Conservancy -

Humani - Roger Whittall Safaris

Shangaan Hunters

Zambezi Hunters

Mokore Safaris (Barrie Duckworth)

Jumbo Safaris (John "Jumbo" Moore)

Regards,

Terry

P.S.

I know I have left out a lot of communal lands, but I don't have much information on them.

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
After talking with Andrew Dawson in Dallas, I came away with the impression that Chifuti was the controlling hub for concessions they,Swainson's and Charlton McCallum all use.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBT:
After talking with Andrew Dawson in Dallas, I came away with the impression that Chifuti was the controlling hub for concessions they,Swainson's and Charlton McCallum all use.

Which concessions would that be? As far as I know, Swainson's has Dande North and Chifuti bought the quota on the Sapi Safari Area for this season. Charlton-McCallum have no concessions of their own, they just buy quota from concession holders (nothing wrong with that - a lot of the ZIM PHs do that).

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Terry

In the Save Valley Conservancy, you also have Jumbo Moore Safaris.

I know that's where I'm hunting in April.

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Terry - I wonder if Sally Brown, of the Zimbabwe Professional Hunters & Guides Association, would have something (?).
zatso@mweb.co.zw

Too, Ganyana could easily fill in the blanks and then some.

Looking fwd to the one for Tanzania too Big Grin

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Deka is also HHK territory with the Van Wyk's of the Gwayi Valley running things there. They've put together a wonderful camp and we have a nice selection of game including buffalo and lion there.

Ganyana will be of great value when he gets out of his rack and can fill us all the way in on the "Who's who" of Zimbabwe.

I think Jumbo also hunts the communal lands near Gonarezhou and Chiredzi as well.

Good post, Terry. Smiler

~Ann

Posts: 19147 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CFA
posted Hide Post
Terry

Mokore also hunts Chewore South, I hunted there last June and took some very good animals. I think they divide the area as it is quite large and very wild.

Fred

*If you are not hunting in Africa you are planning to hunt in Africa*

Posts: 465 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 15 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Scott,

Andrew Dawson's concession borders Big 5 Safari's area in Chewore North. I know that if you head West (or back up the Zambezi river) you come to a very large dry river bed. I think this is the Chewore River. Andrew's concession starts on the West side of this Chewore River.

Terry,

I seem to remember that Barrie Duckworth's company (forgot the name) had some hunting areas in the Chewore South. At least he did as recently as 2001.

Also, I heard rumors that Andrew Dawson and Big 5 both are now related to HHK in some way or another. I think N'gagi has some more information on this. Seems like HHK is really starting to dominate the area.

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terry,

Barrie Duckworth's Mokore Safaris brochure lists Chewore, Mokore, Ngamo and Kwazuma in Zim as well as Nhacainga in Mozambique. I have his brocure in PDF format if you would like it.

Chris

Posts: 116 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Terry,
Brookfields has a camp in the Deka area.
Can anyone give me any info on Broolfields and/or the Deka Area?

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brooklands operates in the SAVE and other areas.

Is'nt the auction for Sapi on March 5? It is my understanding that Chifuti will attempt to buy all the hunts this year and then operate the area as their concession.

After this failed last year with another outfitter in the Nyakasanga, Parks and Wildlife claimed that they would force hunters this year to abide by the rules. This meant no reselling of hunts or moving of quotas from one hunt to another.

Whatever happens the price for the Sapi hunts is bound to more expensive than in other areas.

Posts: 394 | Location: Tennessee, North Carolina | Registered: 01 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Terry,

CFA is right. Barrie Duckworth's Mokore Safaris hunts Chewore south and has for 20 years. Barrie and Roger Whittall used to be partners and when they split up they both kept an interest in Chewore south.

Regards,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12857 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
It's my understanding that Chifuti, HHK and Swainson's are all under the same ownership. At least when I spoke to Andrew Dawson in Dallas that is what he indicated.

John

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Terry,

Unit 6 in Matesti is Buffalo Range Safaris. Barry & Rob Styles

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
in chirisa there is also a little guy called sango safaris run by craig robinson, he has a small area there

Posts: 13440 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TNJohn: Is'nt the auction for Sapi on March 5? It is my understanding that Chifuti...
As I understand it, Chifuti bid, won, purchased in accordance with the auction terms, and ran the hunts last year at the G-camp in Sapi. The operator (who lost his PH license permanently) in Nyakasanga did not do things by the book with dates and such, and attempted to not pay for the hunts. With Sapi & Chifuti, Parks benefits directly with no chance of the money being funneled elsewhere and/or to an individual on the US State Dept banned list. What Parks does with it is another matter...and hopefully it mostly goes to the right places.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Terry: John Sharp hunts the Malangani Conservancy down in the Lowveld and I thik he leases from somebody up in Dande. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7143 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe dudly rogers hunts Gorkwe north and south. Also russ broom books hunts in Doma.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Right, heregoes, one mamoth reply...

I haven't bothered with company names for concessions where they keep chjanging them anyway to avoid the tax man- just stuck to the name on the lease. Also, many small guuys buy off the concession holder. Often two or three share one concession for a season.

I'll start with the government concessions

Charara- General P. Zimonde

Chewore South- Consortium of Roger Whittal, Makore (Duckworth) and Western (Rosenfels)

Rifa Safari Area Simon Rogers

Makuti- E. Fundera

Note Charara, Rifa makuti and Nyakasanga all form the Hurungwe controlled hunting reserve.

Nyakasanga and Sapi - Auction areas. Individual hunts are auctioned off by parks. Auction on March 5 for hunts this year.

Deka - Mrs Moyo

Doma - Newton Neypengidza

Matetsi 1- Matetsi Wildlife- Charlie Davies
Matetsi 2- Enos Dube
Matetsi 3 -Inyathi Hunters (De Palama and Jacob Mudenda)
Matetsi 4- Mike Chidziva -Victoria Falls Hunters
Matetsi 5 - Parks (marketed by HHK)
Matetsi 6- Kazangula Safaris -General D. Chiwenga
Matetsi 7 Not hunted at present

Sengwa Reasearch- 3 Pegs Safaris- General Ben Matiwaza

Dande safari area- Guruve RDC - sub let to Swainsons

Malapati Safari Area - leased to Chiredzi RDC and sub let to Dudley Rogers

Small bits of Hurungwe Controlled hUnting reserve that don't fit into the road structure of the area are leased to Hurungwe RDC and sub let along with a chunk of communal land hunting are to a) Ray Townsend and b) Lowveld Hunters (Jannie Meyer)

There are a dozen or so Operators in the Save concervancy and around Gonarezhou National Park

There are also the huge forestry commission areas in Matebeleland North province that, now the hardwood timber has been logged out are leased out for hunting and many smaller operators buy hunting there. Foristry commission also have their own safari company - Ngamo Safaris- An example of how not to run a company.

HHK is primarily a marketing organisation. They also hire a large number of reliable PH's, who are encourraged to have their own company and book their own clients. Makes for better efficiency and client care. So, Swainsons, National, chifuti, National Parks etc haven't Joined HHK- They have simply entered into a marketing arangement and possibly a PH supply arrangement as well. Some, like parks own concession (Matetsi Unit five)- HHK runs the camp as well!

HHK have their own charter company with a good fleet of aircraft, a large supply network etc. In a country where -this week there is no flour -anywhere and next week their may well be no fuel, and if you want cream in a camp it has to be smuggled into the county or a deal done with one of the three remaining dairy operations - an efficiently run "supply " organisation makes sense.

There are a total of 23 CAMPFIRE concessions arround the country as well as the Midlands, Chiredzi and Save conservancies

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Terry, does this mean you are going to compile a final list for us lazy guys that are interested in the future of zimbabwe. That would be great and good luck..

one of us
Picture of Alan in NC
posted Hide Post
Terry: Jannie Meyer (Lowveld Hunters) has a concession in Chewore. He has a camp on the Angwa River just across from Dande. He also hunts an area at Gonarezhou. Alan. http://www.booktrail.com/huntzim/default.asp

Posts: 120 | Location: Winston-Salem, NC USA | Registered: 24 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ngamo Safaris- An example of how not to run a company.

That's the truth.

Ganyana, thanks for the information. Terry, good topic.

Posts: 1045 | Location: Kerrville, Texas USA | Registered: 02 August 2001Reply With Quote