New
Find
Notify
Tools

Life In South Sudan
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted

Posts: 66901 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like cows but draw the line somewhere.....

Posts: 10133 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have a look at your copy of Sudan: The Land and the People, Saeed and you will find Michael Freeman's pictures of a Mandari cattle camp we visited.

Missing in the pix you posted is the note that the Mandari burn cattle droppings and cover themselves in the ash to repel mosquitoes.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1318 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Great photos!

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fascinating, but a lifestyle rapidly disappearing. Small bands with cattle are vulnerable to bandits, which roam the region too. This has caused many of those small bands without their own herds, but now they get hired by large cattle owners, who equip them with medicine for the cattle (which causes the herds to grow more) and weapons to defend themselves and the cattle. Similar lifestyle, but now with weapons, they don't eat cattle, but they do eat meat, so you can imagine what's happening with the wildlife in the region.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the 16th century, alive and well in most of Africa.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13135 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know if I would want to shake hands with those people and I'll bet they're real resistant to illnesses. If you never eat the cattle then they crowd out the wildlife.

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Up to 4+ decades ago the Masai and Wakwavi weren't much different.

Posts: 1902 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I feel almost, but not quite, the same way about my automobiles.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13373 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Neil-PH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
Welcome to the 16th century, alive and well in most of Africa.

.......and slowly creeping towards to 15th century.

Posts: 533 | Location: The Plains of Africa | Registered: 07 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
I was fortunate to grow up on a livestock farm with Carte Blanche from parents and grandparents. I lived as a barbarian, and we was in shit daily, literally and figuratively. No, my boyhood was not as hard, but very familiar. We all grew hale and hearty. It’s a wonderful life that’s vanishing even here.

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tomahawker:
I was fortunate to grow up on a livestock farm with Carte Blanche from parents and grandparents. I lived as a barbarian, and we was in shit daily, literally and figuratively. No, my boyhood was not as hard, but very familiar. We all grew hale and hearty. It’s a wonderful life that’s vanishing even here.

Great post, and as far as this tribe in Sudan, I’m happy to see that some people are still living a traditional way of life.

Posts: 973 | Location: USA | Registered: 10 November 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really enjoyed that! I saw them there nearly 40 years ago, during better, simpler times, and I have very fond memories of the whole of the Sudan. But sadly, I don't think I'll be going back anytime soon.

Posts: 408 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 01 December 2010Reply With Quote