Find
Notify
Tools

Safari and booze..
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Like John Wayne told Ron Howard in "The Shootist", of course you know that guns + 'who hit John' don't mix.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Spare a thought for the lucky PH who got a Russian client, who arrived at camp with 3 beautiful young ladies.

The camp was on a river.

The client never left camp, and the PH had to shoot all the animals.

He also tried to spend as much time as possible in camp, as he made a lovely sandy beach by the river bank for the girls to sun bath on.

And to imagine poor Roy has to put up with Walter getting naked!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66926 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
What a Spartan to put up with those travails.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always enjoy a good bourbon and a cigar by the fire in the evenings, swapping stories. I always ask if they'll have beer/wine, but I always bring my own liquor.

One safari, these PHs from RSA drank so much, I decided that the clients were on safari just to subsidize the PH's lifestyles!

Posts: 434 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two Russian clients arrived with their own supply of the best Russian vodka that money could buy stashed in a large rigid Samsonite suitcase.

It flowed like water throughout the hunt and sadly to say they didn't leave any behind other than a pile of empty bottles and the suitcase. Big Grin

Posts: 1904 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Lary Knowlton put two cans of beer out at some 30 paces and handed me his double rifle and stated if I could hit them both I could keep the double. Having blown up the first can I complained to him that this was a waste of good beer! Seriously generous man Lary!

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9865 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I drink in Africa after the hunting day is over. I don't drink a beer at lunch; my rule is, when the alcohol flows, the hunting day is done. I don't drink at all in Africa if I am in a blind at night. I don't miss alcohol when hunting in Alaska or other remote areas. If you can't live without it, you really do have a problem.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn;t much care how much my PH drank, as long as he was up and at'em and ready to go early morning, and as long as he behaved in a decent manor..ONe of the best PHs Ive ever known could out drank an elephant, and he never seemed drunk..someoe said a funcioning alcoholic, well he was that, and a fine gentleman he was.

Most of my hunts didnt envolve more than a sundowner in the evening, and great conversation..

Safaris can sure be different, most dranking problems we encountered were clients not PHs..PHs know they have to deal with both and they always seemed to handle it well, and most can do without or handle their dranking well.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've heard a lot of great "Russian client" stories, but the best one I ever heard came in installments. It happened in a camp and with a PH where I was hunting. Not mentioning any names here to protect the guilty.

I was hunting with the PH that experienced the first half of this story on the banks of a river that divided two concessions. The concession across the river was operated by a different outfitter.

My PH had a Russian client in my camp, who apparently actually left camp and hunted, but nevertheless brought a shapely young "interpreter" who was bored while he was away. So, she sunbathed at least topless next to the river during the day and walked around camp pretty much naked all day long. Needless to say, the guys weren't getting anything done while the PH was in the field, as in nothing.

So he came up with a rather brilliant solution.

First, he told the young lady that in camp, she had to be fully clothed. However, if she wanted to sunbathe and take her clothes off, there were some flat rocks on the river bank a couple of miles downriver that would be perfect, and, he assigned his oldest tracker to take care of her, giving him a rifle in furtherance of that task. So she started getting naked and sunbathing on the rocks a few miles downriver. Life in camp went back to normal; things started getting done; problem solved.

Years later, I heard the rest of the story from the PH on the other side of the river. It seems that the rocks my PH recommended for her nude sunbathing were almost directly across the river from the other camp. The PH on the other side of the river started noticing that things weren't quite right. Things weren't getting done while they were away hunting. He questioned his staff and got nothing. No explanation.

One day, they were in the vicinity and decided to stop by camp for lunch. They found camp totally deserted. Starting to get concerned, they began checking around the tents for staff and to see if they had been raided or robbed.

Sure enough, it appeared they had been robbed. But the strangest thing, was that the only thing that had been stolen were rifle scopes, binoculars, or any kind of optics. Nothing else. After further exploration, they found the entire staff on the river bank with whatever optics they could beg, borrow or steal, watching the Russian "interpreter" sunbathe on the rocks across the river. Apparently, this had been going on for several days.

That story came full circle over a period of years, but is hilarious.

Posts: 10000 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
I've heard a lot of great "Russian client" stories, but the best one I ever heard came in installments. It happened in a camp and with a PH where I was hunting. Not mentioning any names here to protect the guilty.

I was hunting with the PH that experienced the first half of this story on the banks of a river that divided two concessions. The concession across the river was operated by a different outfitter.

My PH had a Russian client in my camp, who apparently actually left camp and hunted, but nevertheless brought a shapely young "interpreter" who was bored while he was away. So, she sunbathed at least topless next to the river during the day and walked around camp pretty much naked all day long. Needless to say, the guys weren't getting anything done while the PH was in the field, as in nothing.

So he came up with a rather brilliant solution.

First, he told the young lady that in camp, she had to be fully clothed. However, if she wanted to sunbathe and take her clothes off, there were some flat rocks on the river bank a couple of miles downriver that would be perfect, and, he assigned his oldest tracker to take care of her, giving him a rifle in furtherance of that task. So she started getting naked and sunbathing on the rocks a few miles downriver. Life in camp went back to normal; things started getting done; problem solved.

Years later, I heard the rest of the story from the PH on the other side of the river. It seems that the rocks my PH recommended for her nude sunbathing were almost directly across the river from the other camp. The PH on the other side of the river started noticing that things weren't quite right. Things weren't getting done while they were away hunting. He questioned his staff and got nothing. No explanation.

One day, they were in the vicinity and decided to stop by camp for lunch. They found camp totally deserted. Starting to get concerned, they began checking around the tents for staff and to see if they had been raided or robbed.

Sure enough, it appeared they had been robbed. But the strangest thing, was that the only thing that had been stolen were rifle scopes, binoculars, or any kind of optics. Nothing else. After further exploration, they found the entire staff on the river bank with whatever optics they could beg, borrow or steal, watching the Russian "interpreter" sunbathe on the rocks across the river. Apparently, this had been going on for several days.

That story came full circle over a period of years, but is hilarious.

rotflmo

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Until you have spent an evening around the campfire with Walter and his jokes and antics, you have not lived! professional entertainment from a very funny man and a wonderful human being..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote