THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Shooter, Hunter, Collector, Memory Maker which one are you? Poll

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shooter, Hunter, Collector, Memory Maker which one are you? Poll
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
As below:

Question:
I have noticed a disturbing trend in hunting, no just high fenced places in Texas or southern Africa.

We as a group of hunters have been infiltrated by people who don't hunt to hunt, they hunt for some other purpose.

So why do you hunt?

Choices:
I hunt for trophies
I hunt because I like Taxidermy on my wall
I hunt because I like to shoot at long range
I hunt because I just like to hunt

Question:
If you were given a chump shot on the first day of a 10 day season/hunt in someplace classically known for big animals and a mature male that is 80% of some score system, of what the area is known for steps out would you shoot it?

Lets say it is a hunt like Lord Derby Eland, a big Elephant Tusker, a Lion or a Kaibab Plateau mule deer or a bighorn sheep permit.

Or would you hold out for a bigger one?

Choices:
Yes shoot it, the odds are against me having this opportunity again
No hold out for a bigger one, as it gives me more time to hunt
Hold out to see if I can find one that scores higher knowning I might not take an animal

Question:
Would you hunt a fenced ranch if it was 10,000 acres/5000 hectares or more?

Choices:
Yes
Only with a bow
Not my thing, I think they should be shut down
Not my thing, but I don't care if someone else does

Question:
What would you rather have?

Choices:
mature coues buck taken in the wild
220 inch classical 5x5 whitetail on a game ranch
300 inch "freak nasty" whitetail on a 400 acre game ranch
140 inch wild Pike County Illinois farm buck

Question:
Final question. I have noticed that some people are keen to collect color phases, and mount them in strange ways as pedestal mounts.

Recently I have seen several people advertising an animal of certain inches, and producing photos of this animal.

Would you be interested in a hunt on a game ranch (of any size) for a particular animal?

What about the places that catalog wildlife by game cameras and then try to get you to shoot the one they have a name on?

Choices:
Not for any ammount of money would I hunt that way?
Fair chase is fine, but not a game ranch selling a single animal
I don't mind it as it gives me a good idea of what I am looking for.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Still more complicated then that
I refuse to put myself in any box
Every day is different day

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No boxes for me either. I hunt for all those reason but not all of them may apply on each trip. I have goals I would love to get size wise and I love taxidermy also.

I have gone in with a size of an animal on my mind on many hunts and ended up with way smaller animal then I planned. Why is that well the hunt was awesome animal was old enough to take and I made the shot. After that hunt I still had plans to hunt for the size of animal I dream of.

If that makes me not a hunter I don't know what to say. Think there is more of a problem with guys judging new hunters because it is not the same as when the grew up learning to hunt. Keep putting down fences or how other hunts and we will loose the right to hunt soon enough over something you don't have to do if you don't like.

Hunters are own worse enemy because we have to judge others.

Posts: 559 | Location: macungie , Pa | Registered: 21 March 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I am a hunter.

Taxidermy is fine, but I don't want a house full of it just to have it. I really like predator taxidermy, I like rugs, and I like skulls. I don't understand the reason for pedestal mounts, especially these multi species ones.

I'd hunt a high fence place is if it was big enough. I have before in Africa and it was huge, and I got roped into hunting one in Maine that was not big enough so we left.

Hunting is the 49% motivation for everything I do. My kids are small, and I still love my wife so they are the other 51%.

Real fair chase wild hunting is hard and expensive to get into. There can be no doubt about it.

Sad state of affairs in the hunting world, but at least we can still hunt.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
All of the above!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13385 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Angus Morrison
posted Hide Post
The poll doesn’t allow for the options I’d subscribe to, but is very interesting. I hunt as a way to chase adventure, as a reason to go places far from development with a purpose. Especially very wild places. Hunting despite being my living is quite secondary for me to adventure. This isn’t to say I don’t take it seriously, quite the opposite. Hunting is the staff on which the music of adventure is written.

Posts: 534 | Location: Northern British Columbia | Registered: 06 June 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I'd like to chime in here.
1. I like to hunt but ONLY with vintage rifles.
2. No, I'd take the shot as I've had too much bad luck to wait.
3. Yes, and I have. Prefer 20K acres and above.
4. I don't know measurements but prefer the wild.
5. Hunting that was does not interest me. I don't Eruope as I detest paying my horn weight. I have passed (and still do) on African torphy fees that are on a graduated scale of size.
Cal
PS. Beautiful photo, Angus, but why a rifle with only one barrel?

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Modern hunters use rifles with one barrel!

Those still living in the Stone Age use two barrels! clap

They pretend to be real hunters, while living in some sort of daydream!

Have no idea why they do not go back a few more years and use stones to hunt rotflmo

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66934 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
he poll doesn’t allow for the options I’d subscribe to, but is very interesting. I hunt as a way to chase adventure, as a reason to go places far from development with a purpose. Especially very wild places. Hunting despite being my living is quite secondary for me to adventure. This isn’t to say I don’t take it seriously, quite the opposite. Hunting is the staff on which the music of adventure is written.

Angus hit the nail right on the head for me!

The location and the adventure to be found there is what I'm after as much as the actual hunt.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Angus Morrison
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

Have no idea why they do not go back a few more years and use stones to hunt rotflmo

Fighting words! It’s amazing you’ve survived as many buffalo as you have with but one barrel between you and them. Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
PS. Beautiful photo, Angus, but why a rifle with only one barrel?

Spring bear season, the weather is typically so wet I don’t subject even the Merkel to that much anymore. Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:

Angus hit the nail right on the head for me!

The location and the adventure to be found there is what I'm after as much as the actual hunt.

beer Many kindred adventurous souls around here.

Posts: 534 | Location: Northern British Columbia | Registered: 06 June 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:

…………………………………. jumping

The reason hunters hunt with double rifles, and/or bows is one must stalk carefully to get in close to the target to assure a proper kill.
Hell anyone can shoot them from 300 yds, sitting on the back of the hunting car! Big Grin

…………………………………………….. sofa

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Saeed: Just how many Blasers and double rifles do you really have? rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:

It's called coming out of the closet archer

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dead Eye
posted Hide Post
I'll take any opportunity to carry a gun and be with nature.

Posts: 395 | Location: Canada | Registered: 06 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Shooter, Hunter, Collector, Memory Maker which one are you? Poll

In response to the poll title, I am all of the above. I simply love being in the field to simply explore, or just enjoy seeing the wildlife. I also collect firearms, of all types except the So-called "BLACK GUNS". I got enough of those with the Army. I also like shooting at targets from very long range, and I like hunting with handguns, but more fun trying to get in close to surprise the target animal.

However I have zero problem with the way others hunt as long as they follow the rules of hunting. Poachers, and spot-lighters will get turned in to the game wardens if I see them.

……………………………………………………….. old

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill73:
quote:

I have several Blasers - gotten from others in exchange for normal guns!

And ONE BIG FAT ZERO in doubles!

Hunters who actually hit and kill their prey only need one barrel!

The self glorifying idiots use doubles, especially in 600 Nitro Express! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66934 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

rotflmo jumping

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Bill73:
quote:

And ONE BIG FAT ZERO in doubles!

Hunters who actually hit and kill their prey only need one barrel!

The self glorifying idiots use doubles, especially in 600 Nitro Express! clap

AWE, Come on Saeed tell us how many double rifles do you have hidden down in the loading/under ground shooting range where nobody can see you shooting them? clap

………………………………………………………... Whistling

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunt because I love to its my church,peace and quiet and grocery store .I only want wild free roaming game.We use to laugh at guys that hunted. In the elk pens in Alaska.It takes the hunting out of it for me in a pen no challenge .That's why I loved wild Alaska to hunt

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Angus Morrison:
The poll doesn’t allow for the options I’d subscribe to, but is very interesting. I hunt as a way to chase adventure, as a reason to go places far from development with a purpose. Especially very wild places. Hunting despite tu2 being my living is quite secondary for me to adventure. This isn’t to say I don’t take it seriously, quite the opposite. Hunting is the staff on which the music of adventure is written.

. . . absolutely perfectly stated. tu2

Mike

Posts: 21207 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 tu2 And, I love that absolutely beautiful B.C. steelhead river in the background. WOW!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

It is all about the challenge...and a dose of nostalgia..and its plain downright fun.. Wink

And it is about " getting as close as you can laddie..and then git 10 yards closer.." and get it done with iron sights..

Why do you think people hunt with bow and arrows..??

I am 100% with Cal here...been there done that myself...with a 100 year plus old british double rifle..

Posts: 3965 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe that at least for my self being out in the wild with my rifle has some kind of positive physiological effect on me-like drinking a glass of water.Some taxidermy is good in that it brings back the memory and shooting practice makes the experience more rich.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote