THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Ever had a PH that you just could not connect with?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ever had a PH that you just could not connect with?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
Then there was the "stalker" I hunted with in the Scottish Highlands. Scotland is a beautiful place, the land of my ancestors.

You weren't by chance hunting on an estate just outside Brora, were you?

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1546 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Nitro Express - no, we were up in the highlands, near Laggan, in Inverness-shire. The lodge is called Sherramore. It is a beautiful place. The only bad thing about it was my ill-natured stalker. I admit that I should have known better, but I was also completely turned off by the spoon fed nature of the hunting.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
Nitro Express - no, we were up in the highlands, near Laggan, in Inverness-shire. The lodge is called Sherramore. It is a beautiful place. The only bad thing about it was my ill-natured stalker. I admit that I should have known better, but I was also completely turned off by the spoon fed nature of the hunting.

I hunted free range hill stags at an estate called Kintradwell, just outside Brora, on the North Sea way up in the Highlands.

Unlike your experience, our gamekeeper/stalker was a pleasure to work with. I killed two representative stags on what turned out to be a demanding physical hunt.

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1546 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
The following notes are taken from my hunt journal. I write down the day’s activities in a journal at the end of each day hunting and have been doing so since my first Africa hunt in 1994.

One of my PHs hinted for tips nearly every day.
One of my PHs asked for several items from the states with the closing statement, “You can deduct it from my tip.”
One of my PHs, shortly after snapping at me for stepping on a stick (“Can you hear yourself?”), stopped following a wounded elephant to answer his cell phone and then talked 15 minutes to book a leopard hunt.
One of my PHs would not drive back to my elephant to collect my skull as “it is too far to drive for the fuel.”
One of my PHs would not drive back to my elephant so I could shoot a hyena as “it is too far to drive for the fuel.”
One of my PHs in never had a lengthy conversation around the campfire with me in the am or pm nor at the dining table has he was on his cell phone—it rarely left his hand, including when hunting.
One of my PHs, when transiting to another safari area, required me to pay for a B&B while also paying him for my daily rate.
One of my PHs, when asked to drive me to the post to mail some insulin to a friend, offered to send it for me. I put the insulin in his ‘fridge at his request. It vanished the day after I flew home.
One of my PHs wanted to borrow some meds from my first aid kit. He would not give them back after five requests so I gave up asking. He kept them (which was his plan anyway).

Whoops. My error. All the same PH.

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did once

NRA Benefactor Life Member
RMEF Life member
Pheasants Forever life member
National Trappers Assn. life member
WTA member
Boone and Crocket club member
Wild Sheep Foundation member

Posts: 124 | Location: WI | Registered: 31 January 2011Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
The following notes are taken from my hunt journal. I write down the day’s activities in a journal at the end of each day hunting and have been doing so since my first Africa hunt in 1994.

One of my PHs hinted for tips nearly every day.
One of my PHs asked for several items from the states with the closing statement, “You can deduct it from my tip.”
One of my PHs, shortly after snapping at me for stepping on a stick (“Can you hear yourself?”), stopped following a wounded elephant to answer his cell phone and then talked 15 minutes to book a leopard hunt.
One of my PHs would not drive back to my elephant to collect my skull as “it is too far to drive for the fuel.”
One of my PHs would not drive back to my elephant so I could shoot a hyena as “it is too far to drive for the fuel.”
One of my PHs in never had a lengthy conversation around the campfire with me in the am or pm nor at the dining table has he was on his cell phone—it rarely left his hand, including when hunting.
One of my PHs, when transiting to another safari area, required me to pay for a B&B while also paying him for my daily rate.
One of my PHs, when asked to drive me to the post to mail some insulin to a friend, offered to send it for me. I put the insulin in his ‘fridge at his request. It vanished the day after I flew home.
One of my PHs wanted to borrow some meds from my first aid kit. He would not give them back after five requests so I gave up asking. He kept them (which was his plan anyway).

Whoops. My error. All the same PH.

Sounds like a real arshe hole!

Was it Mark Sullivan? rotflmo

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66928 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I could see that one coming from 10K away! clap rotflmo

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
I could see that one coming from 10K away! clap rotflmo

I can imagine.

Intelligent people see what might be coming.

Stupid ones ask for it!

We have perfect examples here!

You know, that old saying, give an idiot enough rope, and he will hang himself! jumping

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66928 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Much like any other business, you have the good and the bad and the in between..Its up to your booking agent to see to it that you only have to deal with the good, mostly that works..There are both good and bad guides and PHs, no doubt about that, but the vast majority in Africa are outstanding and know how to run a camp, the can't guarentee trophies and such or at least they shouldn't..Many first time hunters come to Africa with unrealistic expectations, in that not everyone gets a 40 plus buffalo or a 100 lb elephant. In my years of booking I only recall one PH that was in fact a fantastic hunter but a real arrogant SOB, and another that was an outright crook, the rest in that 40 plus years were all fine gentlemen with the clients interest at heart..African hunting camps etc are far better than the average NA uncontrolled outfitters..Too many cowboys hanging out in bars in tourist towns that pass themselves off as guides, and they have no clue, no equipment, and don't have to answer to anyone..They make it hard on the legit outfitters..

But ALL IN ALL, if you do your homework, you will have a good hunt..

On the real side, often left out, even the best of PHs or outfitters, have things go South, just like any other business in the world, you simply cannot please everyone, thats impossible, so it works both ways..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A good thread would be to hear the PHs side of this show, but that would be hard to do..

As a matter of fact our host Saeed is the epitome of the perfect client on a hunt, He can walk like an elephant, he asks no favors, he can shoot in any position, and if one of his guests complains he will tell them its hunting and if we don't see a buffalo on this whole trip too bad, thats just the way it is and btw we saw hundreds of buffalo after 3 days of nothing...He should be the poster boy for all clients..and all his hunts turn out great as far as I know, everyone is at ease and fun...The last thing a ph needs to do is get cross ways with the client, or the client get cross ways with the PH..

I wouldn't take for my career in the hunting business, made so many friends that are now old friends, many have gone to the happy hunting grounds, many still in touch and on ocassion I get forced to book them a hunt to this day, and makes me feel good btw...retirement is great and my first love in life is horses and roping and thats about all I do these days..

AR takes up some of my day and I like that. If I can help anyone thats fun and makes my day.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Kyrgyzstan, hunting Ibex. Every group of ibex we saw was "SHOOT, SHOOT, SHOOT!"

Language barrier was the main problem. In Africa, I'd pull the PH aside & say "Hey, we're looking for ONE big one, not 23 small-mid ones."

There were some big-ass Ibex there, but you had better be able to field judge them for yourself.

Posts: 434 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Baker458:
In Kyrgyzstan, hunting Ibex. Every group of ibex we saw was "SHOOT, SHOOT, SHOOT!"

Language barrier was the main problem. In Africa, I'd pull the PH aside & say "Hey, we're looking for ONE big one, not 23 small-mid ones."

There were some big-ass Ibex there, but you had better be able to field judge them for yourself.

Same in Benin for Buff and their style was to drive the roads and shoot from the car. We changed that and were rewarded with some very fine hunting and a couple of wonderful old dagga boys. Like you said you have to take control sometimes.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9865 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Benin you dont need an "PH", take an "good tracker" and do it your own way.
The best hunting adventure, I garantie you.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bockhunter:

Agree.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9865 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:
Originally posted by Bockhunter:

Agree.

Same way in Burkina Faso. I enjoyed being the PH. Definitely not a place to go on a first safari. They would have you shoot the first thing that comes out of the bush.

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1427 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote