THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Ever had a PH that you just could not connect with?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ever had a PH that you just could not connect with?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking back on many hunts to Africa and other places, I was thinking about PH's and guides that I connected with and those I did not. I have only have two true disasters - one with a PH and one with a mountain guide.

I have had a few that, after the hunt, I promptly forgot their names and some aspects of the hunt as we never really "connected".

I have had several where I felt within a day or so that I could hunt with this guy every day and every time I come to Africa or wherever.

Why is that???

I felt a great connection and had a super hunt with Dean Kendall, Thierry Labat, Adam Parkisson, Jason Roussos, Lance Nesbitt, Jacques Strauss and a couple of others. We hit off, my wife enjoyed them and we had great adventures.

On the ones I never connected with, it was like they were just going through the motions and really just putting in the days to get paid or that they had something else they would rather do or that they would never really take to us. Not sure why that is.

What do you think?

Posts: 10133 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Same here
And I agree Ross
And some I could have hunted on my own even in Africa and could have done better

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We went buffalo & plains game hunting in Tanzania; the PH we had was very knowledgeable about the hunting aspects but absolutely clueless concerning client relations. He was a rude conniving POS that seemed to delight in belittling us. In a lot of respects, the hunt was miserable.

Posts: 231 | Location: Washington state | Registered: 03 December 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
No.

Had been very lucky.

But, having such a big nose, helps to weed out the undesirables.

I try to do some research before hand, and it works.

My very first safari had all the elements of it becoming a disaster.

It did not.

The person I hunted with has become my life long friend, as we have so many things in common.

Went to Klinebergers in Seattle, because I had a break.

Booked the first hunt they offered me on short notice, as I wanted to leave within days.

Had absolutely no idea what to expect.

Had a fantastic time, and each successive hunt has been just as good.

Honesty and professionalism have been my aim in picking who I hunt with, and this has worked so far.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66903 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Agree on Dean Kendall and Lance Nesbitt. Just the other day a friend of mine was telling me that the most enjoyable African Safari that he had been on was when he and I hunted the Zambezi Valley with Dean and Lance. I had to wholeheartedly agree.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have not personally hunted with Dean and Lance.

But had them in our camp guiding others in our party.

Great gentlemen.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66903 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unpleasant people are not confined to the hunting industry. I've never had a problem with those I hired to hunt with.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As near as I can remember I have hunted with 19 PH's. Some only did part of my safari with a couple of safari having 3 total PH's. I only hunted twice with 2 of those PH's. I had Just one PH that neither Sadie nor I could ever warm up to. Unfortunately that was on a long and spendy safari in Tanzania. Dinner was a pretty quiet affair toward the last of it.

I had a PH that was too drunk to hunt the first day but we worked things out and actually had a good safari with him. Otherwise our PH's have been pretty good. A couple of younger guys have been not so polished in the personality department but some of that comes with experience.

Out of all the PH's I've hunted with I only consider two to be real friends. The others have been pleasant companions for the duration of the safari.

A PH can make or break a safari and they don't all have that ability to make lemon aide out of lemons. When you find a PH that can build up his client and keep things pleasant even if things are going poorly that PH is a very good one.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12857 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a very interesting topic. My experiences are limited as I have hunted with just four PHs. Three of those four are now fast friends as we communicate frequently about a various range of topics.

The fourth is a well known PH from Zim. He was professional and gave me great hunting effort during the hunt. However, he would disengage from conversations during the long hours of driving between checking leopard baits which would create long periods of absolute silence. He put no effort into the things that interested me outside of the realm of the hunt. For an example, I have always been a bird nut as I memorize the birds of any new hunting area. Even though he understood my great interest in birds, he was more concerned about getting back to camp and sitting for hours than stopping at various locations for me to expand my bird list. And, yes, he perfectly understood my desire to spot new bird species.

Again, he was professional and provided exactly what he advertised. However, there was little effort outside of his "job".

Would I hunt with him again? Probably not.

Posts: 223 | Location: South Dakota, USA | Registered: 27 March 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SDSpink,

Yeah! Some PH's are not great conversationalists. As for getting in tune with your other interests on the safari I just tell them "STOP" while driving around if I see something I'm interested in. I like to take pix of flowers and if I see a flower or any other thing of interest I make sure that I get to look at it. It's your safari. Do as you see fit.

Back to the conversation. I pummel those guys with questions. It's my business to glean as much info as I can about the areas I'm in so they pretty much have to talk to me.

I had a PH in Zambia on the Luangwa river that had previously had a contract to collect specimens of all the birds in the Luangwa Valley. That guy knew everything about every bird as well as the flowers, snakes and other wildlife. I probably learned more from that guy than in five other safaris.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

Posts: 12857 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
As near as I can remember I have hunted with 19 PH's. Some only did part of my safari with a couple of safari having 3 total PH's. I only hunted twice with 2 of those PH's. I had Just one PH that neither Sadie nor I could ever warm up to. Unfortunately that was on a long and spendy safari in Tanzania. Dinner was a pretty quiet affair toward the last of it.

I had a PH that was too drunk to hunt the first day but we worked things out and actually had a good safari with him. Otherwise our PH's have been pretty good. A couple of younger guys have been not so polished in the personality department but some of that comes with experience.

Out of all the PH's I've hunted with I only consider two to be real friends. The others have been pleasant companions for the duration of the safari.

A PH can make or break a safari and they don't all have that ability to make lemon aide out of lemons. When you find a PH that can build up his client and keep things pleasant even if things are going poorly that PH is a very good one.

Mark

Mark,

You put an interesting spin on this topic as a booking agent. I know you book for outfitters, not PHs, but they can often overlap. However, would you personal opinion of a PH dissuade you from representing a certain group?

I don’t know you outside of this forum, but you seem to be pretty cool even with a ponytail! I’m just curious how your personal opinion may affect representation and or recommendation.

I do believe Steve Nganga has said he rarely has hunted with a PH more than once. He said it’s more of a business deal and he is there for a certain animal and may net return to that area.

Personally, I like getting along with my guide/PH. It makes things much more fun. Some of that “come as a client, leave as a friend” is really BS in most cases unless you hunt many times.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DCS Member:

I don’t know you outside of this forum, but you seem to be pretty cool even with a ponytail!.

rotflmo

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Mark

Mark,

You put an interesting spin on this topic as a booking agent. I know you book for outfitters, not PHs, but they can often overlap. However, would you personal opinion of a PH dissuade you from representing a certain group?

I don’t know you outside of this forum, but you seem to be pretty cool even with a ponytail! I’m just curious how your personal opinion may affect representation and or recommendation.

I do believe Steve Nganga has said he rarely has hunted with a PH more than once. He said it’s more of a business deal and he is there for a certain animal and may net return to that area.

Personally, I like getting along with my guide/PH. It makes things much more fun. Some of that “come as a client, leave as a friend” is really BS in most cases unless you hunt many times.

Yes. I said that.

I hunted with the same PH in Zambia 6 years running. I'm glad I did. It taught me that there are several reasons why we do this.

One, and not for me, is to go back to the same place and hunt the same animals with the same crew year after year. It took that experience to figure out I wanted to experience all Africa has to offer.

I want the mysterious unknows, the third world airports, the domestic flights within. I want to step outside my comfort zone and really feel alive.

I hunt in new areas, with new PH's after new and different animals.

I was fortunate enough to hunt with Wayne Grant in 2019. We hunted in a GMA in the far NW of Tanzania right on the Rwanda/Uganda border. Hunting Leopard with Wayne would be like taking painting lessons from Rembrandt. He is truly the professor.

We enjoyed ourselves and I would hunt with Wayne again. I am looking right now for 2022 Masaailand and told him if he had the right hunt, I'd look at it. But not the same place ever again.

Africa is a big place and I wanna see it all and do it all. That isn't gonna happen going to Zim every year and shooting tuskless in the valley.

As to the OP and his question. I hunted with an American PH in Tanzania. He worked for Federico Gelinni. I found the hunt here. The area was Kilwa open area. It was the worst poached out pile of rubbish Safari I could ever imagine.

I asked Federico how many camps he had in the area. He said "one" I said, fine I want a private camp. When I got there, I was taken to a remote fly camp out in the sun. I found out the main camp had 7 (SEVEN) Chinese national hunting on a 21 day license. I was very close to pulling the plug right then, but stayed.

The company was horrendous, the driving two hours every morning and evening to get anywhere near water and animals was hard to take. The PH thought he was John Sharp, he tore his sleeves off. He acted like a cheesy actor playing the role of Mark Sullivan in a bad safari movie.

He tried to hang Leopard baits. I would never question what and why a PH is doing what he's doing. But I will say this, he couldn't get a Leopard in a tree if there were 1,000 Leopards and only one tree.

Every morning when the generator started, it was like that movie "Groundhogs Day". They never ended. I made it to the end and actually shot most all my stuff. I failed on the main reason I booked. East African Eland. Anyway, a bad dream that was.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3367 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
The answer in my case is yes, I have run into guides/PHs where this has happened.

But happily, it has only happened a few times, relatively speaking. Few enough to know that it wasn't my fault, but often enough to know that it's a risk you take on any first time trip to anywhere.

Generally, I have found the cause to be the lack, or absence, in my short-term companion, of some or all of the qualities of professionalism, sociability or even common sense.

And the experience is only made worse by being stuck in a wilderness hunting camp with someone like that.

Unfortunately, in that kind of situation, you can't just smile, grab your coat and leave the party.

I have mostly just done whatever I could to make the best of a bad situation.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13374 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve had hunts where I liked the PH or guide better or worse than others, but never had one where I remotely felt endangered or like I was being made miserable enough to want to leave.

Certainly there have been worse experiences in NA than overseas.

The worst cases were situations where I was lied to, but didn’t figure that out until I got home... even in those, I wasn’t upset in camp...

Posts: 10562 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
I’ve had hunts where I liked the PH or guide better or worse than others, but never had one where I remotely felt endangered or like I was being made miserable enough to want to leave.

Certainly there have been worse experiences in NA than overseas.

The worst cases were situations where I was lied to, but didn’t figure that out until I got home... even in those, I wasn’t upset in camp...

I was. After the Safari, I was having dinner at the Sea Cliff. You know right there against the glass, waves crashing up right next to me.

Federico walked up and sat down with my bill. I told him exactly what I thought of him and told him to let me enjoy my dinner alone. Cool

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3367 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Only had five Safaris in four countries but had good times on all of them.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7591 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:
quote:
quote:

Mark

Mark,

Yes. I said that.

I hunted with the same PH in Zambia 6 years running. I'm glad I did. It taught me that there are several reasons why we do this.

One, and not for me, is to go back to the same place and hunt the same animals with the same crew year after year. It took that experience to figure out I wanted to experience all Africa has to offer.

I want the mysterious unknows, the third world airports, the domestic flights within. I want to step outside my comfort zone and really feel alive.

I was fortunate enough to hunt with Wayne Grant in 2019. We hunted in a GMA in the far NW of Tanzania right on the Rwanda/Uganda border. Hunting Leopard with Wayne would be like taking painting lessons from Rembrandt. He is truly the professor.

We enjoyed ourselves and I would hunt with Wayne again. I am looking right now for 2022 Masaailand and told him if he had the right hunt, I'd look at it. But not the same place ever again.

Africa is a big place and I wanna see it all and do it all. That isn't gonna happen going to Zim every year and shooting tuskless in the valley.

As to the OP and his question. I hunted with an American PH in Tanzania. He worked for Federico Gelinni. I found the hunt here. The area was Kilwa open area. It was the worst poached out pile of rubbish Safari I could ever imagine.

I asked Federico how many camps he had in the area. He said "one" I said, fine I want a private camp. When I got there, I was taken to a remote fly camp out in the sun. I found out the main camp had 7 (SEVEN) Chinese national hunting on a 21 day license. I was very close to pulling the plug right then, but stayed.

The company was horrendous, the driving two hours every morning and evening to get anywhere near water and animals was hard to take. The PH thought he was John Sharp, he tore his sleeves off. He acted like a cheesy actor playing the role of Mark Sullivan in a bad safari movie.

He tried to hang Leopard baits. I would never question what and why a PH is doing what he's doing. But I will say this, he couldn't get a Leopard in a tree if there were 1,000 Leopards and only one tree.

Every morning when the generator started, it was like that movie "Groundhogs Day". They never ended. I made it to the end and actually shot most all my stuff. I failed on the main reason I booked. East African Eland. Anyway, a bad dream that was.

I hope you didn’t think I took your opinion out of context. I like and respect your reasoning, as it would be boring to some to keep hunting the same stuff in the same areas.

I’m guilty of going to Argentina with the same outfitters for countless times over 15 years or so. I don’t really go to hunt much (well, there was a girlfriend there for about two years), but also worked in various roles. The dove hunting, while fun, got boring. I would split a case with one of the owners after the asado having fun. Pigeon shoots were a different matter all together. I really liked those!

I can see the desire to hunt in a foreign land with someone you know and not gamble on a high dollar experience. I did have a bad experience on an auction hunt in South Africa, but will admit my father was at fault. They were two alphas and my father had heard from a buddy that the outfitter wouldn’t negotiate on prices. I tried to explain that a donated hunt is just that and the extra animals and days are almost expected. They got into it at times, but seemed to get along better the last night after a bunch of Amarula. I liked the guy and enjoyed hunting with him alone.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mark

Mark,

Yes. I said that.

I hope you didn’t think I took your opinion out of context. I like and respect your reasoning, as it would be boring to some to keep hunting the same stuff in the same areas.

I’m guilty of going to Argentina with the same outfitters for countless times over 15 years or so. I don’t really go to hunt much (well, there was a girlfriend there for about two years), but also worked in various roles. The dove hunting, while fun, got boring. I would split a case with one of the owners after the asado having fun. Pigeon shoots were a different matter all together. I really liked those!

I can see the desire to hunt in a foreign land with someone you know and not gamble on a high dollar experience. I did have a bad experience on an auction hunt in South Africa, but will admit my father was at fault. They were two alphas and my father had heard from a buddy that the outfitter wouldn’t negotiate on prices. I tried to explain that a donated hunt is just that and the extra animals and days are almost expected. They got into it at times, but seemed to get along better the last night after a bunch of Amarula. I liked the guy and enjoyed hunting with him alone.

I understood your statement. No problem.

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mark

Mark,

Yes. I said that.

I understood your statement. No problem.

Cheers and I hope for a swift recovery. I also hope you post pictures of your new trophy room.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Everything in life is the same.

Give me a guy that puts forth an effort, and I like over a guy that kills himself and is a dick.

The worst is the dick who puts forth no effort.

The best is the great guy that kills himself to get something done.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
I have been in many camps and come across a great variety of Professional Hunters and can testify there is the good, the bad, and the downright ugly.

I can see two trends here and some explore Africa with a host of different operators and PHs and others return to specific venues because of the quality of hunting and conditions.

I remember a fine compliment from Steve 416 after taking a Lion at close quarters on foot. I was initially a little concerned about the shot. We followed up into the long grass and the Lion had crossed a deep sandy gulley which had me really concerned. I got the tracker up on a high point and to our relief, the Lion was lying on top of the far bank dead.

Later Steve told me the reason he hunts with me is he trusts me and he feels safe in my hands.

Those characteristics should apply to every PH.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9860 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Later Steve told me the reason he hunts with me is he trusts me and he feels safe in my hands.

Those characteristics should apply to every PH.

That is why I would call you first Andrew, if I ever decide to hunt Zambia.

I’ve had some great PH”s, one not so great. I would never hunt with him again but would (and have been) cordial to him at hunting shows.

I have no use for PH’s that lie, try to intimidate the trackers and locals, who speak perfect English yet love speaking Africans in front of you. Just my opinion...

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

Personally, I like getting along with my guide/PH. It makes things much more fun. Some of that “come as a client, leave as a friend” is really BS in most cases unless you hunt many times.[/QUOTE]

Marcus,

First off I don't represent loads of operators and I tend to know the ones I do represent pretty well. I try to not book a hunter with anyone I have not hunted with our hasn't come to me with stellar references. Yes! I do use my personal opinion to make referrals but I try to look at a situation as a novice hunter would and as an experienced hunter might. I often ask a safari operator about the PH they tend to use for my client and if I don't think they might be a good fit I will discuss that with the operator.

I agree with Steve that it's basically a business deal but that doesn't mean it won't be a pleasant business deal. I think Steve probably tries to get along with the PH as do I until things go sideways. When I'm hunting with a new operator to me I'm try to evaluate my experience compared to other operators I've hunted with. I tell them the good and the bad and hopefully they'll correct any problems I've seen. I once told a safari operator that he had the worst camp I'd ever been in along with other issues. He was shocked and he didn't stay in business very long.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Of the 14 hunts I have been on to Africa 13 PH were good to outstanding, one was a total disaster and a fraud I to forgot his name

quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
Looking back on many hunts to Africa and other places, I was thinking about PH's and guides that I connected with and those I did not. I have only have two true disasters - one with a PH and one with a mountain guide.

I have had a few that, after the hunt, I promptly forgot their names and some aspects of the hunt as we never really "connected".

I have had several where I felt within a day or so that I could hunt with this guy every day and every time I come to Africa or wherever.

Why is that???

I felt a great connection and had a super hunt with Dean Kendall, Thierry Labat, Adam Parkisson, Jason Roussos, Lance Nesbitt, Jacques Strauss and a couple of others. We hit off, my wife enjoyed them and we had great adventures.

On the ones I never connected with, it was like they were just going through the motions and really just putting in the days to get paid or that they had something else they would rather do or that they would never really take to us. Not sure why that is.

What do you think?

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
There are a group of different thinking individuals on here and that make for some good responses.

I have hunted with 4 different PH's in 4 different countries, the exception was a second hunt to South Africa and that was a double up with one PH.

Again I have taken trips in April, June, July, August, September and November. I have been in the rainy season to the snow season. So I have done the Hot and Cold.

All the PH's that I have hunted with, I would return and hunt with them again. Some were chatty and had some wonderful stories to share around the camp fire, to the PH who you needed to use a crow bar to get a few word out of, however he was top notch in the field and when you had him one on one you could have a good chat.

My Zimbabwe safari was like grand central station around the camp fire, individuals stoping by to just say hi and have a glass of wine or a drink and then they would head off to their camp. We did have the police/military stop one evening and another evening we had the game head from the area that stoped by.

On my second safari to South Africa, I worked with the PH to set up a special trip for my wife to see different parts of the country. All he needed to do was try and find me something to go after on the various stops. We did a days shopping in Durban and then to 4 different camps in the KZN area. Places that I had not been to before, my wife enjoyed her self and had a good time.

Different countries offer different experiences and animals that you will have a chance to go after. I have never had a head scored for record book, and I am sure that many would score well. However I have passed up some stunner trophies because I already have a nice one of that species. So now I am looking at different trophies to have a chance to go after.

I like going to different areas and different countries, I guess that kind of goes along with the company that I worked for before I retired. Having worked in 3 Canadian provenances and 23 states, I have been to places most will never get the chance to see, I am sure other on here have similar experiences do to the variety of members.

I currently am chatting with some on here about different possibilities in the future. Would include different PH's than what I have hunted with before.

JM2C

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1571 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I booked my first safari with Dave Fulson at Safari Classics. My only requirement was that the PH have a good sense of humor. He booked me with Rex Hoets. Had a great time and went back again. It is a vacation dammit-fun was my goal. I ended up with a great leopard and an old dagga boy plus lots of plains game and a good friend.

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now, what are the odds that PH’s and guides deal with a higher percentage of folks that they will not have as a client again?

I suspect it’s higher than the jerk PH/Guide percentage, but double or order of magnitude higher?

Posts: 10562 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:

What do you think?

I think what you're saying is, the ones you didn't connect with were the ones that should have been doing something else for a living. They act like they don't want to be there and like they have something else they would rather be doing because they don't want to be there. I've never been to Africa but have had a flight instructor of that exact nature. Those are a couple bad professions to be that way yet they both have more than their fair share.

Like crbutler said, just imagine the stories the PH's could tell. I wonder how many people show up thinking they are going to meet their new best friend since you hear that kind of thing so often. It must be extremely difficult at times to have so much on your shoulders and expected of you when dealing with a random persons expensive and exotic vacation for days or weeks on end.

Posts: 488 | Location: WI | Registered: 31 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
My worst experience was with a guide in BC. He was a colossal failure. He knew nothing. I had two very successful hunts with this outfitter before. The outfitter offered me a deal to come back. I knew I was in trouble when the guide said he would never pay to hunt anything and didn’t understand hunters from the US fascination with horns.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
YES. Hunted through an outfit in Namibia who assigned a young PH to me. My interaction with owner of safari was that I wanted to hunt plains game and a trophy Eland. Also that I wanted a fair tracking hunt with no shooting from truck or other nonsense and was assured that was nothing allowed by his PHs. First evening the young PH wanted me to shoot a trophy Eland from truck and I refused. Downhill from there. This guy had good field skills and ZERO people skills. He was rude, indifferent, always on his cell phone, no sense of humor and hard to be around. Wound up getting a large Eland and it is still on my basemen5 floor, couldn’t put it on wall because I don’t even want 5o think about that trip. He is #till around and I have wRned a few people about him. My only negative in 13 Safaris. I enjoyed all safaris except the one I mentioned and have mad3 many friends and met many great hard working people.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No disappointing experiences on four hunting trips to Africa and I really enjoyed the different hunting styles of the various PH's.

As to being unable to "connect" with a PH I once hunted with a PH / Guide here in NZ, back in the days when booking hunts was quite new to me. I booked this guy for a Sika trophy roar hunt in the Kaweka Forest Park based on someone's recommendation. It was a huge mistake. His name was Bill ( forget the surname ). He was a former meat hunter and maybe a decent hunter overall but all we did every day was walk his possum poison lines while he skinned dead possums and renewed baits. I was so annoyed about this and complained about the hunt at some point. His only comment was that if we saw a decent stag he would get me set up for the shot. All this was quite contrary to his hunt description before booking. We weren't seeing or hearing roaring stags and I was quickly reaching the point I wanted to bail out early as we were hardly becoming an effective hunting team, or "connecting".
We had short drives to the forest park each day as he lived nearby and he based the hunt from his home. He had a wife who was pleasant to me and served good meals but clearly the relationship between them was badly fractured. Almost all "conversation" between them was pretty high pitched with derogatory descriptions and blue language flying about with total disregard for the guest in their midst. It was a very uncomfortable situation.
At dinner on the night before I actually bailed out there was the usual shouting match, only this time at a higher level of profanity and ever more descriptive insults. The wife became so enraged she threatened Bill with shooting at which point Bill disappeared outside with urgency, hopped into his truck and roared off. The hunt was a lost cause and early next morning I departed.
Sometime afterwards I happened to talk to someone who knew Bill and I recounted how he had taken off when his wife threatened him with shooting. Well, apparently, during one particular argument Bill got his wife so pissed off she actually loosed off several shots at him as he took to his heels. Maybe she aimed to miss but if Bill ever copped a shot it was probably deserved.
It was a poor, sad and disappointing hunt experience but I learned a valuable lesson and have since conducted more thorough background checks before booking guided hunts.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2011 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know this might be a be a bit petty, but these threads on bad hunts and bad
PH's, Outfitters, and guides are entertaining.

With that said, all of us who have had a bad experience probably were not too "entertained"
during the hunt Smiler

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clayman216:
YES. Hunted through an outfit in Namibia who assigned a young PH to me. My interaction with owner of safari was that I wanted to hunt plains game and a trophy Eland. Also that I wanted a fair tracking hunt with no shooting from truck or other nonsense and was assured that was nothing allowed by his PHs. First evening the young PH wanted me to shoot a trophy Eland from truck and I refused. Downhill from there. This guy had good field skills and ZERO people skills. He was rude, indifferent, always on his cell phone, no sense of humor and hard to be around. Wound up getting a large Eland and it is still on my basemen5 floor, couldn’t put it on wall because I don’t even want 5o think about that trip. He is #till around and I have wRned a few people about him. My only negative in 13 Safaris. I enjoyed all safaris except the one I mentioned and have mad3 many friends and met many great hard working people.

Gee, after I read this post, I didn't recall writing it. Because I didn't, but it could have been my own report on the same country (Namibia), with a young PH, who was a total ass, explaining to him that I would not shoot from the truck, the hunt going downhill after that, etc. etc.

Wonder if we had the same PH and place?

It was my only 'bad' safari, and I was pissed. Longest drive I've ever had in my life was the drive back to the airport for 2.5 hours and not one word spoken to the PH and his wife from me and my wife.

Sadly, I saw my wife's enthusiasm and anticipation for our future safaris fade away after that experience. She accompanied me on three more safaris to Zim and Zambia after that, but the fire really never returned. She and I did (7) safaris together in four different countries.

On my last two safaris to Zambia, I brought a friend instead, as her love for African hunting was gone. She still hunts Elk, Deer, and Pronghorn with me here in America and loves it, but has little to no desire to return to hunt Africa.

Posts: 2586 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mark,

Marcus,

First off I don't represent loads of operators and I tend to know the ones I do represent pretty well. I try to not book a hunter with anyone I have not hunted with our hasn't come to me with stellar references. Yes! I do use my personal opinion to make referrals but I try to look at a situation as a novice hunter would and as an experienced hunter might. I often ask a safari operator about the PH they tend to use for my client and if I don't think they might be a good fit I will discuss that with the operator.

I agree with Steve that it's basically a business deal but that doesn't mean it won't be a pleasant business deal. I think Steve probably tries to get along with the PH as do I until things go sideways. When I'm hunting with a new operator to me I'm try to evaluate my experience compared to other operators I've hunted with. I tell them the good and the bad and hopefully they'll correct any problems I've seen. I once told a safari operator that he had the worst camp I'd ever been in along with other issues. He was shocked and he didn't stay in business very long.

Mark[/QUOTE]

Mark,

That was my understanding of the way you operate. That’s a lot better than the agents that line up unknown outfitters just to add more options, but that defeats the purpose of using an agent.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
We have been blessed when it comes to Africa PH’s. They have all been great. For us, there is so much more to a hunt/safari than just killing an animal and getting the hell out of there. We do everything we can to have a good experience and great memories when we travel and hunt. I have had enough high risk experiences so I will never go looking for anymore, and we are not chasing awards or collecting, so that allows fun to be our priority.

Unfortunately, experiences with “PH/guides” in the US, (especially the US) UK, Europe and Argentina have been all over the place. More than once I packed my kit and left. I have zero tolerance for being flagged by a loaded gun, unsafe driving and ass clowns that want to disturb my peace.

Safe hunting!

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
I've only had 6 guided hunts in my life.
One in Wyoming for Pronghorn, that guide was a crook to the highest degree and ended up getting some jail time.
One trip to South Africa with a PH I pray to the heavens I never hunt with again.
A trip to Argentina for doves that I would never repeat.
Three trips to Zimbabwe with the same PH for all three safari's. I hope to hunt with him many, many more times.

Posts: 748 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I did a mule deer hunt in the Texas panhandle about 10 years ago. My “guide” saw the property for the first time well after dark after he arrived. I knew more about mule deer hunting than he did, and it was only my second go at it. He loved driving around in his loud Cummins with huge exhaust, when I said “let’s check the arroyos.” He said “no, it’s too windy down there.” I figured they’d be down there and not in the open areas with all the wind.

Needless to say, I finally got out and sat glassing and saw the only mule deer, but never got one mature enough. This was a well known ranch, the JA. Without being cocky, I’m sure I could’ve connected on a nice buck without my “guide.”

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never had a bad PH. Some were more patient with my questions about birds, plants, trees, etc. than others.
But that has become less of an issue, although I still have a lot of questions and want to learn. All were unique and I learned something from all of them. One made me nervous by never carrying a rifle unless we were actually hunting dangerous game. Wasn't sure if that was an extreme vote of confidence in me, as I usually carry a rifle heavy for what we are hunting, or insanity. But there were elephants about so I was a bit uncomfortable with that, especially if I was carrying a light rifle.

Had one guide on a bow elk hunt that it became clear he had no experience with bow hunters and that was annoying. He would set up a stand to call where the shot was calculated to be 75 yards or better. Now I shot to 75 yards all the time back then at targets and was pretty consistent, but not what I was looking for for a shot on a bull elk. He never got that through his brain despite repeated discussions, so I concluded he was either dense, or lazy. We didn't take an elk and didn't get along well. Another elk guide was great, but I was about 40 back then and he finished in the top 10 of the Pike's Peak marathon every year and he about killed me. We got along great, but I thought he was going to have to carry my body out a few times.

Posts: 9994 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've never had a bad PH. Some were more patient with my questions about birds, plants, trees, etc. than others.

There are three trees in Africa - a shade tree, a bait tree, and a lavatree

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9860 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote