New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloads in south Africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I will be heading to the eastern cape of South Africa for a weeks hunting of plains game this coming July. This will be my first trip to Africa.

Is there any restrictions on using/transporting reloaded ammunition in South Africa?

I have read that fiber, wood, or metal boxes are required for transporting ammunition. Does fiber mean cardboard, plastic or what? Specifically are plastic ammo boxes OK or not?

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1597 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Everything I took over was reloads in plastic slip top boxes. Nobody even looked at my ammo going either direction. I did make some labels for my ammo boxes that appeared like it came from a commercial custom loader.

Yes it's cocked, and it has bullets too!!!

Posts: 582 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Slip the plastic sleeves inside factory boxes.

Posts: 4848 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unless you are the one in a million, you won't have any trouble. I always take reloads and have never had a hitch in any of it.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Been there twice, used MTM type plastic boxes.

No issue at all..

Enjoy your hunt.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66934 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The issue as I understand it is that each round has to have its own compartment- no loose rounds rattling around.

Having said that, I just decided to use the same old ratty Federal factory ammo boxes inside a pelican case- they weigh less and I have had them take the ammo and weigh it in SA once, and they included the ammo box.

Posts: 10599 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BNagel:
Slip the plastic sleeves inside factory boxes.

This worked well for me.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2313 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
I will restrict my comments about reloaded ammo only to once you are in South Africa. Transporting rules are made (under direction of the FAA) by individual airlines, and I do not know all their rules.

Reloading is widely practiced and perfectly legal in South Africa. There are some rules and regulations pertaining, mostly to possession of propellant, but you will not be doing that. You will not be breaking any law by having in your possession or using reloaded ammo!

Use of "wildcat" calibers need some caution, just in case you get in a most unlikely situation of being thoroughly searched by an idiot (and these days they are mostly idiots) policeman. Even though you will not be convicted if the actual caliber of your reloaded wildcat ammo matches the caliber that you have on your SAPS 520, an idiot policeman can give you a hard time by - for example, threatening your immediate arrest for illegal possession of ammo for which you do not have a license- if the headstamp on your ammo does not exactly match the caliber on your SAPS 520. Better just play it safe and do not use, e.g. 30-06 headstamped brass if your SAPS 520 designates your caliber as .270 Ackley Improved. Big Grin The underlying reason for this note of caution is that it is definitely illegal to have any ammo in your possession if you do not have a licence, and for foreigners who bring in their own firearms the SAPS 520 is their de facto licence, for that ammo.

Be safe and enjoy your hunt!

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
There's a variety of laws and rules that apply to this but to keep it as short as possible:

Ammo must be in a container that ensures every round is kept separated from every other round OR be in manufacturers packaging so no loose rounds.

No more than 5 kg of ammo per passenger and passengers may not put more than one 5 kg allocation of ammo into the same bag.

Some airlines want ammo further packed into a lockable box with nothing else in it, some want it in the rifle case and some want it in the checked bag and the answer to that is to make sure you have room in your ordinary bag to accommodate the locked box and room in the rifle case to accommodate the ammo in it's MTN style box or manufacturers packaging and then ask the check in agent where he/she wants you to put the ammo and just do as they require.

I'd strongly suggest you do not put anything that might be controversial such as bolts, mags or scopes in your hand baggage.

Also absolutely no black powder, black powder substitute, detonators or anything else that has any UN classification of 'Explosive' may be carried on any commercial aircraft in any form or any packaging method whatsoever.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Oh and I should have added that whilst you may use reloads in RSA, you may not (legally) give or sell them to anyone else.

One of Us
Picture of BuffNut
posted Hide Post
If you have any flights within RSA on SAA, be prepared to check your ammo separately from the rest of your luggage. I use a plastic field box with a TSA lock and its own address tag.

I reload all my ammo and have taken reloaded ammo into and through RSA many times. I've never had any problems or issues whatsoever.

I used to pack my reloaded ammo into factory boxes (I would buy factory ammo just for the boxes!). For the past several years I've just used the plastic Franklin Arsenal boxes they sell at Midway USA. I fold up some kleenex and put it on top of the rounds before closing the lid so they don't rattle, then use electrical tape to tape the plastic lid closed. Those boxes go in the field box along with a Leatherman and the field box goes in my duffel.

If you use a "meet and greet" service in RSA, like the one Gracy offers, you are much less likely to be told by SAA that you need to take your ammo out and check it separately. Most of the time I don't see my field box with ammo in it until I arrive in camp and unpack my duffel. On a couple of occasions I have not been fortunate enough to get the right ticket agent at SAA and have been told to remove my ammo and check it separately. Although a minor inconvenience, my ammo has always arrived with my rifle at the police office in whatever city I'm flying to, so it's never been a problem.

Posts: 193 | Location: Cherry Log, Georgia | Registered: 01 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everybody for the insights. I am taking two pre 64 Win 70's, one in 375 H&H and the other in 30-06. I haven't decided whether to take my Featherweight or my Standard 30-06 is all.

I use 180 grain Nosler Partitions in my 30-06 for just about everything anymore.

I have two different 300 grain choices for my 375 H&H. Cape Kudu is the largest thing on my package so I will use the 375 H&H on it. I know the 30-06 is adequate for the hunt, but I have the 375 and may as well get it an African pedigree and draw some African blood with it.

My two 300 grain chices are Hornady DGX flat pointed round nose or Winchester Silvertips. The both feed and fly just fine. Any opinions based on experience here?

I am a dinosaur and slow to change, like to keep things simple and am not going to rush out and buy the latest whiz bang bullet or powder. I use IMR 4350 in my 30-06 and IMR 4064 in the old 375.

Posts: 1597 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I' sure a number here will disagree with me but FWIW, I've always been a massive fan of the Winchester Silvertip but only when it's handloaded to a moderate velocity. - I reckon the factory loads are usually a bit too fast to get maximum performance out of the bullet but get the speed right and I reckon they're the dog's doo dahs. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Airgun1
You might want to look at the Barnes TSX in 235 gr for your .375. Either that or the Sierra GameKing in 250 gr. It's what I've used for my .375 for 2 different PG hunts and both of the loads perform admirably.
The 235 TSX will hold together and you can safely get it over 3000fps, it's just a killing maachine. The 250 gr SGK will retain around 78% of it's weight moving around 2800fps. Both of them work well if you need to extend your range a bit.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My last trip I had every shell checked to be sure it matched the caliber shown on my forms. I would not take anything that was not headstamped the same as my gun. Of course a twenty dollar bill is powerful medicine in Africa if you are feeling lucky.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
If you are using a service such as African Sky or Afton you will likely not remove the ammo from it's case

All of my handloads made the trip in Berrys clear plastic snap top 50 cartridge box's with a Sierra sticker on them with all the specs of the said rounds....all inside a Pelican lock box

After the hunt I left the empties and 20 unfired with my PH

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
375 is wonderful for plainsgame, but best to drop to a 260 or 270 grain bullet, especially if hunting Kudu in the EC, the flatter trajectory will be of great benefit. Loaded to spec it will shoot very close to the same trajectory as the '06 but with much more devastating terminal ballistics

Posts: 394 | Location: Africa | Registered: 25 September 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airgun1:

My two 300 grain chices are Hornady DGX flat pointed round nose or Winchester Silvertips. The both feed and fly just fine. Any opinions based on experience here?

As you say, the .30-06 would be adequate for any of the plains game you intend to hunt. But I can understand your desire to also use your .375, and besides, most feel more comfortable with a second rifle "just in case".

Between the two .375 bullets, the Silvertip would be my choice since you're using it on relatively light game. Kudu aren't that tough.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
Look in the trash barrel at the gun range. Find ammo boxes for the caliber you are using.

Or use the plastic ammo slips.

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LOL, I'd have a better chance finding Bigfoot than empty 375 H&H boxes around here, LOL!!

One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
If you arrive and depart in Jo-berg on Delta there is not much to worry about. If you have another hop out of Jo-berg, say on SAA you may be required to ship your ammo in a separate container. I suggest you be prepared for that. I have been chased 1/2 way to my boarding gate for that. I think the guy was hoping for a bribe. He seemed quite disappointed after we went back to check in, and I opened my checked bag and handed him a locked pelican case with my ammo in it. He then put a claim check on it and all went well from there.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
There's a variety of laws and rules that apply to this but to keep it as short as possible:

Ammo must be in a container that ensures every round is kept separated from every other round OR be in manufacturers packaging so no loose rounds.

No more than 5 kg of ammo per passenger and passengers may not put more than one 5 kg allocation of ammo into the same bag.

Some airlines want ammo further packed into a lockable box with nothing else in it, some want it in the rifle case and some want it in the checked bag and the answer to that is to make sure you have room in your ordinary bag to accommodate the locked box and room in the rifle case to accommodate the ammo in it's MTN style box or manufacturers packaging and then ask the check in agent where he/she wants you to put the ammo and just do as they require.

I'd strongly suggest you do not put anything that might be controversial such as bolts, mags or scopes in your hand baggage.

Also absolutely no black powder, black powder substitute, detonators or anything else that has any UN classification of 'Explosive' may be carried on any commercial aircraft in any form or any packaging method whatsoever.

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
quote:

No Gun Parts in Carry on per TSA. Scopes are now allowed.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larrys01:
quote:

No Gun Parts in Carry on per TSA. Scopes are now allowed .

Ja but you're not going to need a scope on the flight, it can be packed perfectly well into the rifle case and if it's not in the hand baggage, you can be 110% sure no silly bugger of a security agent can argue with you about it being there. Wink .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
LJS,

You responded to the question I was about to ask. I have a rifle in a wildcat cartridge that I want to take one of these times. There is no factory ammunition available and the donor cartridge is a different calibre, so the rifle is going to have .358 stamped on it and the ammunition either .300 or 325 (a mix would probably be really bad). Of course I could have a batch of brass made with custom headstamps, but no matter what, it will be handloads.

Now, on one occasion in Dar during one of the two firearms inspections at the airport upon departure, I had the police ask me to load the rifle to make sure the ammunition matched the rifle -- and this was factory ammo with a headstamp that matched the rifle. I have to say I hesitated for a bit before I loaded a rifle in an international airport, at the request of the authorities or otherwise. It all worked out.

Posts: 10007 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
LJS,

You responded to the question I was about to ask. I have a rifle in a wildcat cartridge that I want to take one of these times. There is no factory ammunition available and the donor cartridge is a different calibre, so the rifle is going to have .358 stamped on it and the ammunition either .300 or 325 (a mix would probably be really bad). Of course I could have a batch of brass made with custom headstamps, but no matter what, it will be handloads.

Now, on one occasion in Dar during one of the two firearms inspections at the airport upon departure, I had the police ask me to load the rifle to make sure the ammunition matched the rifle -- and this was factory ammo with a headstamp that matched the rifle. I have to say I hesitated for a bit before I loaded a rifle in an international airport, at the request of the authorities or otherwise. It all worked out.

I wouldn't have done that under any circumstances whatsoever and if the official insisted, I'd have made him call his superior AND a police officer and then told him if he wanted to see it loaded, he could do it himself.

AFAIC, loading a rifle in an airport is a sure fire recipe for disaster.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Airgun1. I was in RSA east cape a couple of years ago and took a Cape Kudu with my 308 and 150gr bullets, reloads with Ttsx bullets. In my opinion 180s not needed for plains game. a 150 of 165 better as the game not that heavy and a quicker expanding bullet does best. was over again in 2013, with god grandson and he kill 3 for 3, 2 Impala and an Nyala with one shot each, 308, 130gr Ttsx. Impala, springbok, etc weight about the same as a pronghorn. I only use reloads and always have. Personally, I'd leave the 375 home, unless going to hunt DG where it's required. But, since you state you want to blood it, I guess that's as good an excuse as any to take it. I usually just throw my ammo in my suitcase. Some airlines don't want it in with the rifle, but the last couple of times I've gone over, no one looked in the gun case, so??

Posts: 501 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been reloading for over 50 years. Never shot factory ammo until I went to Africa. I left the unused ammo with the ph because it will function in any rifle that comes along. Proper caliber, of course.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote