Find
Notify
Tools

Darted Rhino
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted
I have an opportunity for a darted rhino hunt with Ntshonalanga Safaris in South Africa. The price seems to be a bargain. I know that a lot of you don't find this interesting, but I'd like to hear from those who have actually done it. I think it would be a hoot.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cchunter
posted Hide Post
I did it in 2005, it was a great experience but did not feel that much of hunting really. But it was a "hoot" to give him the wake up shoot and see him walk away again. Got a fibre glass replica in my trophy room now.

Posts: 2121 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I havn't darted a rhino. I have hunted with Peter Harris, and everything is first class.

Posts: 310 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 01 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
What is the going price for a rhino darting hunt?

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did it in October '07 with Tam Safaris of Craddock, South Africa to complete my "Big 5" and "Dangerous 7". In many ways the experience was more satisfying than using a rifle. First of all the white rhino does not even come close to being as dangerous as the other 4 of the Big 5 nor is the hunt as difficult. I also must admit that there was a degree of pleasure in seeing him get back up and walk away after we had taken the pictures. Plus -- it is a whole lot less expensive to dart one than it is to kill one. I am certainly glad that I did it and would consider doing it again.
I highly recommend Tam Safaris. This was my 14th African safari and Tam ranks at the top for accommodations, service and professionalism.

Jack

Posts: 64 | Location: SoCal USA | Registered: 16 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Scott,

I have witnessed a rhino dart and in fact it was something I was considering. After witnessing the whole operation I changed my mind. The actual hunt part is fine but the recovery part turned me off. Just my personal feeling.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12865 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have my "Green Rino", the hunt was great. I could have shot the beast many times before I was able to dart him. I found nothing about his recovery to be off putting. My hunt lasted two days, so it wasn't just a walk in the park. You do normally hunt a specific animal as there are restrictions as to how often a Rino can be darted. As to the danger, last year I stalked Black Rino for photos in Zim and no one was armed and this did not seem to concern the PH as he had his 5 yr old grandson with us, eh.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Mark,
Can tell me about the recovery part?

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBT:
Mark,
Can tell me about the recovery part?

Just imagine watching a religious cult movie, when someone is brought back from the dead jumping

Sorry, but darting an animal is not my cup of tea.

I will gladly hunt them, shoot them dead or shoot them with a camera.

Again, just my own opinion.

Everyone can do whatever turns him on.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66933 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I darted a rhino a couple of years ago with Peter Harris. I will say that hunting with these guys has always been top notch and I have hunted with them multiple times. That said, I didnt much care for darting a rhino. It is not that I have anything against darting but at least in my experience the rhino was not particularly challenging, that is except for chasing it halfway up the mountain waiting for the M99 to kick in. That sucker covered a lot of ground in a hurry. The animal never went off its feet and leaned up against some mopane keeping it in place. The pics make me look like I am petting a standing rhino. It was cool to feel its breathing and check it out with the vet then administer the antidote. So part of the experience was great and part not so much. I think part of it is the animals are so protected they loose a lot of the wariness of a truly wild animal. A lot like shooting a cow but still a unique experience. I guess it just wasnt what I expected. I know others who had a very challenging time so I guess it might just be luck of the draw. Either way Peter Harris and the resr of the folks are first rate and I would reccomend them. Dont confuse my lack of enthusiasm for the darting hunt for a lack of respect for them.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Thank you every one - I have declined.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I photographed one in South Africa a bunch, prob a couple hundred pictures. The thing seemed pretty tame. Not petting tame, but comfortable around people. I was told it was darted a few times before on green hunts. While it was cool to take pictures, it really wouldn't be my thing to be told you were going to pay a lot of money to shoot a tameish rhino.

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote