THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Trump Taps Former Attorney Of Trophy Hunting Group For Key Wildlife Job

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trump Taps Former Attorney Of Trophy Hunting Group For Key Wildlife Job
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
https://www.huffpost.com/entry...OXvtOohfZcuCMuUn0eRg

Trump Taps Former Attorney Of Trophy Hunting Group For Key Wildlife Job

Anna Seidman, a 20-year veteran of Safari Club International, has joined the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service — an agency she’s sued several times.

By Chris D’Angelo

The Trump administration has hired Anna Seidman, formerly a longtime lawyer at the trophy hunting advocacy group Safari Club International, to lead the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service’s international affairs program.

A Fish and Wildlife Service spokesperson confirmed Seidman’s appointment in a statement to HuffPost on Friday, calling her “an effective, innovative leader with 20 years of legal and policy experience, including expertise in international environment and natural resource management.”

The Safari Club has close ties to the administration ― its political action committee donated $11,000 to President Donald Trump’s 2016 campaign ― and is one of several groups that successfully lobbied Trump’s Interior Department to roll back prohibitions on importing the trophies of lions and elephants killed for sport in certain African countries.

Seidman was Safari Club’s top litigator for two decades and most recently served as director of its legal advocacy and international affairs arm, according to the organization’s website. In that role, she led several lawsuits against the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and other federal agencies, including challenging a 2015 Obama-era regulation that prohibited aggressive predator control tactics in national preserves and refuges in Alaska.

Seidman left Safari Club last year, according to her LinkedIn profile.

Founded in 1972 and based in Washington, SCI is an advocacy group with more than 50,000 members that focuses on “protecting hunters’ rights and promoting wildlife conservation.” It has been criticized for giving out awards — with names like “Grand Slam African 29,” “African Big Five” and “Bears of the World” — to hunters who kill exotic and sometimes threatened species, including elephants, rhinos and polar bears.

SCI’s sister organization, Safari Club International Foundation, is a former client of Interior Secretary David Bernhardt’s. Bernhardt worked as a lobbyist for oil, gas and other special interests before joining the Trump administration.

As assistant director of FWS’s international affairs program, Seidman will lead a team responsible for implementing international conservation treaties and protecting at-risk wildlife populations and their habitats around the globe. She replaces Eric Alvarez, who has served as acting chief for two years.

SCI did not immediately respond to HuffPost’s request for comment Thursday.

SCI has been a major supporter of the Trump administration and its pro-hunting agenda. And under former Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke, the department made quick work of fulfilling trophy hunting groups’ wish list, as HuffPost previously reported.

In late 2017, the Interior Department came under fire when it lifted Obama-era bans on importing elephant and lion trophies from Zimbabwe and Zambia ― a decision first made public by Safari Club. Facing public backlash, Trump suspended the department’s decision and condemned big-game trophy hunting as a “horror show.” A day later, SCI sent out a “call to arms,” in which the group encouraged hunters to complain to Trump and Zinke and blasted “hysterical anti-hunters and news media outlets.”

FWS subsequently issued a memo in March 2018 indicating it would consider permits to import trophies taken from elephants, lions and bontebok, a species of antelope, hunted in several African countries on a “case-by-case” basis. Later that year, Steven Chancellor, an Indiana coal executive who raised more than $1 million for Trump’s 2016 campaign and was then a member of the Department of the Interior’s advisory hunting council, obtained permits to import the heads and hides of at least three male lions from Africa.

Safari Club has been part of the revolving door at Trump’s Interior. Last July, Ben Cassidy, a former lobbyist for the National Rifle Association, left a high-ranking Interior post to to become Safari Club’s new director of government affairs. His departure from the Trump administration came less than three months he got wrapped up in a formal Interior Department ethics investigation.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9363 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
This should be positive news for sportsmen.

It will take some time for her to make positive changes for the benefit of everyone.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1574 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I know Anna personally and she will be great for hunters in dealing with the USFWS. Wonderful choice! tu2 We all have a friend in Anna! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A typical hatchet job from HuffPo. Anna Seidman is uniquely qualified for the position. And, as one of dozens of American hunters who has a bontebok import permit in limbo, I welcome her help.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Politicians are like flags, they flutter according to wind direction.

Posts: 1904 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fulvio:

Exactly!

CITES animals should be governed by the exporting countries, not the importing ones.

CITES issues certificates according to what is available for export.

Once that is done, and it meets all CITES export rules, it should never be stopped.

But, as we all know, stupid politicians are only thinking of themselves.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66934 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
God forbid that someone with a brain and common sense should be appointed to a position of authority.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13385 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
God forbid that someone with a brain and common sense should be appointed to a position of authority.

Yes.

Stupidity starts right at the top!

Posts: 66934 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
I also know Anna personally - this is wonderful news for hunters!!

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 893 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Originally posted by fulvio:

Exactly!

CITES animals should be governed by the exporting countries, not the importing ones.

CITES issues certificates according to what is available for export.

Once that is done, and it meets all CITES export rules, it should never be stopped.

But, as we all know, stupid politicians are only thinking of themselves.

Amen

Posts: 1862 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
clap

This is a positive for us

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Westley Richards 450 NE 3 1/4"

Posts: 864 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:

Lest anyone misconstrue my comment, I was responding to her critics.

This is a good thing, for her, for us and for the big game animals we pursue around the world.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13385 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had occasion to deal with her. I liked her and was impressed by her.

A word of caution for the cheerleaders. A wise man once told me that one’s position on any issue depended on the chair in which one is sitting. She will be in a different chair.

Posts: 11956 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A wise man once told me that one’s position on any issue depended on the chair in which one is sitting.

"Flags & Wind Direction"? Big Grin

Posts: 1904 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
M
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Powell:
I also know Anna personally - this is wonderful news for hunters!!

I have had professional experience with her. She will be great!

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Sounds like positive news for us.

Let us hope for the best, and no screw ups from the top on Twitter like hunting is a "horror show"!

One of Us
Picture of Virginia Creeper
posted Hide Post
I just wish that I was so diplomatic and careful with my words as Saeed.
Leadership starts at the top. And we desperately need it now.
Again, thank you to Saeed.
Sincerely,

E Pluribus Unum - where out of many, we will become one.

Posts: 149 | Location: VA | Registered: 30 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Sounds like positive news for us.

Let us hope for the best, and no screw ups from the top on Twitter like hunting is a "horror show"!

Trump appointed her which is a good sign no?

Posts: 973 | Location: USA | Registered: 10 November 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
I have had occasion to deal with her. I liked her and was impressed by her.

A word of caution for the cheerleaders. A wise man once told me that one’s position on any issue depended on the chair in which one is sitting. She will be in a different chair.

Exactly.

Posts: 752 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote