Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Retirement Safari Suggestions
 Login/Join

posted
I am planning to retire from my corporate job in the spring of 2024, and am starting to plan a major safari as a celebration. I plan to attend DSC again in January, and would like to start researching options I have not considered previously due mostly to time constraints. I welcome everyone's suggestions and ideas. Hopefully if I book this trip in the Spring, the anticipation will get me through the last year of the corporate grind!

A bit about me, and my thoughts so far. I have previously been on 12 different safaris in RSA, Zimbabwe, Mozambique and Namibia. My wife has joined me on half of these trips, and I took my sons on a couple trips when they were younger. We have taken almost all of the common species in these countries, and I have shot 3 buffalo, 3 elephants, 2 hippos and a couple leopards along the way. I haven't taken a lion, and that is certainly a consideration, but definitely NOT a requirement. My wife is not interested in hunting the dangerous game, but greatly enjoys hunting common plains game. She also loves to fish, and I "have to" go along if this opportunity arises!

This trip will be for the two of us, and most likely should include at least buffalo (several!?) on the agenda, and perhaps include a few days touring a national park like Mana Pools, just as an example. Other dangerous game is a bonus for me, but not necessarily required. My wife is very comfortable in pretty spartan camps, so this doesn't need to have 5 star accommodations at all. I am thinking of a trip lasting about a month long overall, but there is no absolute time frame. I previously couldn't really consider some locations due to extensive travel logistics as I couldn't be gone for more than two weeks at a time while working. Budget isn't absolutely set, but I would prefer to keep this trip under $100K.

When I started hunting Africa, it was easy to dream about a full bag safari in Tanzania as the ultimate trip. Tanzania is certainly still a consideration, but may push the budget a bit, and perhaps may not be the best value and experience overall. I am trying to keep an open mind, and at least initially think that Zambia, Tanzania, and Zimbabwe could probably all provide a great experience to celebrate my retirement. I don't think this will be my last safari, but at least initially envision that additional trips in the future might be more typical 2 week trips, but who knows?

Please tell me who I should consider for this safari.

Thanks,

Will P.

Posts: 3 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 August 2022Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This "Retirement Safari" is being made to sound as an extra special event, similar to a wedding which for all intent and purpose, is a once in a lifetime occurrence.

You have listed several countries as having been to and done what you did and among others that you mentioned as possible venues, Tanzania which was leading that list was regarded a dream.

Not so as TZ today has some very interesting offers/packages from a number of reputable outfitters, most of whom can offer some formidable hunting and further include some spectacular Tiger (in situ) and Big Game fishing after the hunt.

Posts: 1904 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would also suggest looking at Tanzania. Periodically there are some deals listed for there. Be a great place for lion. I hunted Plains game there last year and it was one of my best ever hunts. Check with KNS. Last I knew they were dry competitive on lion prices. Good people in great areas. You’d have a great time.
Bruce

Posts: 373 | Location: Gillette, Wy USA | Registered: 11 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tanzania would be a new experience, and multiple buffalo are an option. Lots of outfits are reducing initial costs and changing to a more trophy fee basis for lion. Your wife could help with shooting PG for baiting to keep her involved.

Another option would be Cameroon for the various savanna species, especially Lord Derby eland. That also tends to be a winter (for us) hunt. I wouldn’t do the rain forest as a family affair- it’s pretty restrictive as to what there is to see and do.

Of course, Zimbabwe and Zambia remain good general bag choices as well.

Posts: 10593 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will P:
I am planning to retire from my corporate job in the spring of 2024, and am starting to plan a major safari as a celebration. I plan to attend DSC again in January, and would like to start researching options I have not considered previously due mostly to time constraints. I welcome everyone's suggestions and ideas. Hopefully if I book this trip in the Spring, the anticipation will get me through the last year of the corporate grind!

A bit about me, and my thoughts so far. I have previously been on 12 different safaris in RSA, Zimbabwe, Mozambique and Namibia. My wife has joined me on half of these trips, and I took my sons on a couple trips when they were younger. We have taken almost all of the common species in these countries, and I have shot 3 buffalo, 3 elephants, 2 hippos and a couple leopards along the way. I haven't taken a lion, and that is certainly a consideration, but definitely NOT a requirement. My wife is not interested in hunting the dangerous game, but greatly enjoys hunting common plains game. She also loves to fish, and I "have to" go along if this opportunity arises!

This trip will be for the two of us, and most likely should include at least buffalo (several!?) on the agenda, and perhaps include a few days touring a national park like Mana Pools, just as an example. Other dangerous game is a bonus for me, but not necessarily required. My wife is very comfortable in pretty spartan camps, so this doesn't need to have 5 star accommodations at all. I am thinking of a trip lasting about a month long overall, but there is no absolute time frame. I previously couldn't really consider some locations due to extensive travel logistics as I couldn't be gone for more than two weeks at a time while working. Budget isn't absolutely set, but I would prefer to keep this trip under $100K.

When I started hunting Africa, it was easy to dream about a full bag safari in Tanzania as the ultimate trip. Tanzania is certainly still a consideration, but may push the budget a bit, and perhaps may not be the best value and experience overall. I am trying to keep an open mind, and at least initially think that Zambia, Tanzania, and Zimbabwe could probably all provide a great experience to celebrate my retirement. I don't think this will be my last safari, but at least initially envision that additional trips in the future might be more typical 2 week trips, but who knows?

Thanks,

Will P.

I would seriously consider booking Royal Kafue for three weeks or a month when quota was available and, with the exception of lion not "hunting" any particular animal on any particular day, just take anything above-average or better that presents itself.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9549 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I would consider Uganda. I have not hunted there, but spent two weeks visiting and touring when my niece lived there. Great parks, friendly people, reasonable prices.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3813 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it were me, I would do the touring portion(s) "self-guided". No way I would pay safari rates on a tourist itinerary.

I would add some bird hunting and some fishing to the trip. These are relaxing ways to spend time in the bush. Bird hunting with a group is always a good social event, and it's not as expensive as 1x1 big game hunting.

I would hunt a couple of areas. Seven days in any one area/camp is enough. Variety is the spice of life.

As to the specific areas and species, well that is a matter of personal priorities. Depends what you have done prior and where.

I would look at Botswana for all the above, if you have not done it. Maybe take in Cape Town on the way in, and Vic Falls on the way out. Hunt Zim to wrap it all up. But as I say, it depends on what you have done prior.

Enjoy!

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2927 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With four buffalo on license in Tanzania, it's a no-brainer for me. I love hunting buffalo. Good cats in places as well. But I've always wanted to go to Zambia, Uganda and Cameroon as well, but haven't done it. Planning a trip is half the fun. If you want recommendations in Tanzania, send me a PM.

Posts: 10000 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Everyone knows there is great hunting in TZ, but the other nice thing is that there are lots of great non-hunting ways to spend some time:
-Zanzibar or Pemba Island (my preference) for some beach time or fishing).
-Lake Natron in Maasailand, and if you are feeling particularly fit, a climb of Oldonyo Lengai is one of the best experiences you can have in East Africa.
-Mkomazi National Park, just a few hours outside of JRO is a great park that no one goes to, although Tarangire, Manyara, Ngorongoro and Serengeti are all prime as well.
-If you want to go even farther afield, you can do chimps out west, and very cool boating safaris on Lake Tanganyika.

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 891 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look up Zambese Delta Safaris in Mozambique with Mark Haldane. Incredible numbers of animals big and small plus they have a fishing lodge on the coast.
I went there last year and hope to return again some day.

JCHB

Posts: 412 | Location: KZN province South Africa | Registered: 24 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Definitely Zambia. Not only for the big game but the unique lechwes, Sitatunga etc. We can boast the Victoria Falls, the Luangwa Valley, and the Kafue system. The Lower Zambezi is excellent for Tiger fishing and there are some extraordinary safari lodges both here and in the Luangwa Valley.

I would suggest two weeks hunting a couple of venues and maybe 10 days of vacation/fishing.

In addition, I would be prepared to guide you throughout the safari.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9865 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

For my blow out on that budget, I would would need 3 - 4 weeks. I would ...

- fly in to RSA and hunt big kudu on the East Cape and then springbok in the Karoo with a couple of days in CT to end the first week

- I would then fly up to Namibia for 3 days of morning sandgrouse shooting and plain game in the afternoons and then

- fly up to Vic Falls and hunt buff and plains game in Zim for a week around Kariba based on a house boat with a day or two of serious tiger fishing and then

- cross into Zambia to hunt lechwe at the Flats and big sable with Royal Kafue before

- finish up with a week in Moz chasing buff and big warthog ending with 2 days on the beach near Pemba....

I don't think I would want to spend 3 weeks in one place. To much too see and do in Africa!

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2259 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your upcoming retirement. Husband did Marco Polo sheep for his celebration hunt.

Take a look at Ethiopia for Mountain Nyala, Nile buffalo and several unique species endemic to the country.

I absolutely loved Ethiopia, camps and food were great and there is an abundance of game in the hunting blocks.

The leopard there are really big and occasionally a black one is shot, although non-importable to the USA.

We went with Nassos form Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris, but there are other good outfitters as well.

Enjoy your retirement.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9362 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! What a great project for you to plan.

Personally I would probably go to Ethiopia or Uganda.

I think your budget will work fine in Uganda and you can hunt a few areas and watch Gorillas, go fishing etc etc.

quote:
Originally posted by Kathi:
Congratulations on your upcoming retirement. Husband did Marco Polo sheep for his celebration hunt.

Take a look at Ethiopia for Mountain Nyala, Nile buffalo and several unique species endemic to the country.

I absolutely loved Ethiopia, camps and food were great and there is an abundance of game in the hunting blocks.

The leopard there are really big and occasionally a black one is shot, although non-importable to the USA.

We went with Nassos form Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris, but there are other good outfitters as well.

Enjoy your retirement.

That was my thought also, but the Budget might not work here if I am not mistaken

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2072 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zambia could provide a unique experience with interesting plains game.

Kafue: Buffalo, sable, roan, hartebeest, oribi, eland (possibly), red lechwe (in the right concessions), blue duiker + usual plains game and cats.
Luangwa: Buffalo, crawshay zebra (beautifully black and white, no shadow stripes), crocs, cats. Cookson's wildebeest and roan, sable, elephant (in the right concessions), and lots other plains game.

In addition to that you could add some specialty trips. Kafue flats for Kafue lechwe (1-2 days) and Bangweulu for black lechwe and sitatunga (a few days).

Could add a few days of game viewing in Luangwa or Lower Zambezi, and some fishing in Lower Zambezi (tiger fish!), and start or end at the wonderful Vic Falls.

But I guess a full bag safari in Tanzania is probably appealing too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love your plan... This is AWESOME!

I would focus on the big, wild, remote areas, or if I was to do a "ranch" hunt it would be in a big ass area like Zim's Save or BVC.

Since you've taken most of the common PG, I would really try to make it a two-country hunt with multiple buffalo in each place. Vacation somewhere in-between and after.

I'd choose from:

Zambia, Luangwa Valley: I want to hunt there very badly. Buffalo and in certain areas a chance for hippo on land. I'd talk to Andrew Baldry (he markets hunts in the valley) or the Du Plooys (Muchinga).
A chance for Roan here as well.

Tanzania: My '06 safari in the Selous Reserve was one of my best, mostly due to the remote location & it's just so much wild country. Luke Samaras is a legend here.

Mozambique, Niassa Reserve: I hear a lot of people raving about this area, including my pal Grant Taylor who does hunts up there (Mashambanzou). I believe Thierry Labat hunts up there as well.

Uganda: Looks cool. Multiple buff available. I would go with an outfitter who primarily hunts on foot vs. "jump off the truck and whack 'em" which is some of what I've seen in videos shot there.

Zimbabwe: I'd like to hunt in the Save with Whittalls or Duckworths. Also in the Zambezi Valley with Charleton Mccallum. I hunted Matetsi 3 (late season when animals move in from the park) with Brent Hein and we had a great time.

Posts: 434 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
A hunt in the Save in Zimbabwe would be hard to beat. The area would give you access to a host of game, including some stellar cats. If you wanted to treat your wife, a place like Sango in the Save would be divine. The Save is not far from both Gonarezhou National Park and Kruger National Park. The outfitters and operators in the Save are some of the best in the business.

Mike

Posts: 21200 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Lots of good suggestions here.

I would take three weeks, or better yet, four, and split my time among good blocks in Maasailand, the Selous Game Reserve and western Tanzania.

IMHO, Tanzania has the best hunting grounds on earth.

I have hunted on five continents, including six African countries, and sometimes I think that I should never have hunted anywhere but Tanzania.

No offense to all of those with whom I have hunted elsewhere! Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Massai land hands down!!!!! That was my retirement gift to myself. I DO NOT REGRET a penny of the hunt. The Serengeti and ngorogoro, well, that was a scam! But the hunt with PVT was incredible!

The Plains game is incredible!

There is nothing in Zambia that you can't get in South Africa, and the buffalo are much better in South Africa!!!

Well maybe you can't get sitatunga.....but a nayala is a,much better looking animal!

Posts: 41768 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will P:

Thanks,

Will P.

Will P.

Under 100K is that all in including your travel, shipping and taxidermy?

When I retired in 2011 my retirement hunt was to Tanzania. And I had a good time. I had never been to Africa before and I wanted to go after Cape buffalo and what ever else I could have on my license.

How, I reached that decision was visiting with many if not all the African based PH/outfitters at one of the convention, I spent 2 1/2 days there as it was a local drive. I left the show disappointed. No one and I mean one would let me book a Cape buffalo hunt with them at that sportsman show, because I did not have any African hunting experience.

So the internet is your friend and I started sending e mails to quite a few African PH in quite a few African countries, I did my internet searched to see if they were on the up and up. And I found one in Tanzania that would take me. Long story short, I had a good time. The Ph is retired and no longer in the game.

I built my self a spread sheet and put in the different cost for the different location, that gave me a close estimate on what the trip would cost. I suggest that you Watch out for the hidden costs that are, oh by the way that is extra. Plus stay clear of places that have different pricing based on the horn inches of the animal taken. It is kind of like a sliding scale pricing.

If what I know now and I were looking, I would suggest that you consider one of the following:
If you were to look in the hunting reports you will find a few nice reports for these countries by hunters on here.
1. Tanzania -
2. Zambia -
3. Zimbabwe -
4. Namibia -

Each country has its pluses and minuses, some are easier to get to than others.

I suggest that you build a short list of must have animals and go with the flow on other animals that you will come across in the field.

I have learned if the PH is not overly excited the animal is good, however you probably will do better if you turn it down.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1571 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
Massai land hands down!!!!! That was my retirement gift to myself. I DO NOT REGRET a penny of the hunt. The Serengeti and ngorogoro, well, that was a scam! But the hunt with PVT was incredible!

There is nothing in Zambia that you can't get in South Africa, and the buffalo are much better in South Africa!!!

Well maybe you can't get sitatunga.....but a nayala is a,much better looking animal!

What you get in Zambia is free-range hunting for indigenous species. There are numerous species that do not occur in RSA including Black Lechwe, L. Hartebeest, Puku, Cookson's Wildebeest etc

Sure South Africa has bred their buffalo and other species to enormous proportions but the hunting of these animals is often dubious.

Maasailand sounds like a great option.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I highly recommend the Selous and Masailand for this.

An enormous choice of animals, great scenery.

Just make sure you book with the right outfit.

There are some cowboys in the business.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66927 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:

Cookson's wildebeest, Crawshay zebra, sitatunga, Lichtenstein's hartebeest, puku, black lechwe, Kafue lechwe? True wild lion (very few available in SA)? And all wild, free-ranging and unfenced. You could probably hunt puku on a game-farm in South Africa, but you can probably do that too in Texas.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
I highly recommend the Selous and Masailand for this.

An enormous choice of animals, great scenery.

Just make sure you book with the right outfit.

There are some cowboys in the business.

Tanzania does offer some unique species. Gerenuk, lesser kudu, some gazelles.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Here is a bit of don’t do.

No taxidermy.

You will save a bundle of money, and endless aggravation.

Hire a cameraman, get videos and pictures of everything.

Avoid South Africa.

Nothing against South Africa, but hunting on a farm does not even come close to hunting in the wilds.

Posts: 66927 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tanzania does offer some unique species. Gerenuk, lesser kudu, some gazelles.

I will offer some additions:

Lichtenstein & Coke's Hartebeest, Fringe-Eared Oryx, Roan, East African & Roosevelt Sable, Grant's, Roberts and Thomson's Gazelles, Topi, Nyasaland & White Bearded Gnu, Kirk's Dik Dik, Red Duiker, Southern & East African Impala, some great Lions & Leopard.

Trophy Elephants have also recently begun making a comeback in impressive numbers to their natural haunts which is testimony that poaching has been put under wraps.

For those who have a penchant towards Tiger fishing, rest assured that Tanzania is now on the world map as one, if not best places for BIG Tigers.

Posts: 1904 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't think I had anything to add....but on reflection, I think I do. Not gonna tell you where to go or what to shoot or how long to stay.

Get a booking agent. They can help you sort the chaff from the wheat and focus YOUR trip on what YOU want. I've worked with Mark Young on a couple GREAT trips, though I've never met him in person. There are many out there.

Work with Gracy Travel.

Starting now for 2024 isn't too early....you'll need lots of stuff. Rifle cases, plane tix, safari cloths, plenty of time to shoot and get ready - dreaming about it is half the fun.

read the message boards here extensively (if you're not already) you can pick up tidbits.

I envy you. You only go to Africa the first time once, and a lot more of Africa gets in your blood than the malaria. I still look at pics from my first trip in 2002, and each one brings me right back to that day, those sights, those smells.

Jeff

Posts: 93 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 07 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Biddleman
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your up coming retirement. What a problem to have in having to plan an epic adventure. Smiler if it was me I don't know if I would limit myself to one country? Hell, time is on your side. You'll be retired.

I would skip the taxidermy,and put the money towards more locales. I also wouldn't want to hunt anything that would require me to sit in a blind. Nothing against it, but I would want to be out and about in the bush. Start in Tanzania, than hit Zambia, Zim, Bots, and end up in Namibia. Sight see and tour between your hunts.

Posts: 134 | Location: Wrightsville, PA | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lots of great advice here, but everyone has their favorite places. I've always wanted to go to Zambia and Uganda, but haven't yet so I can't speak to there. I really want to hunt with Andrew.

I haven't used booking agents in nearly 20 years as that's just another cost -- I know the outfitter pays it, but you do in the end. I hunt with friends, and recommendations from friends. Only positive I see with an agent is when hunting with someone you don't know, they can escrow funds.

I absolutely recommend a good travel agent. I've used Steve Turner with Travel With Guns for years with great results and used Gracey before that, also with good results.

Tanzania is what I know best, so I'll limit my advice to there. Tremendous variety of game, depending on the area. I've hunted in the Selous, the southwest and masailand. Masailand is a great destination if you are taking your wife. No tsetsis.

Posts: 10000 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
JTEX
one of us
posted 11 August 2022 06:32 Hide Post

I know SOME buffalo get taken in RSA in "wild" areas (adjoining Kruger... and also super expensive). But I think comparing the vast majority of the SA buffalo hunts to any wild area is a bit like saying "You took an Ibex in Kyrgyzstan. I got one in Texas. We did the same hunt."

Posts: 434 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What I realized by reading this post is I can never retire. Too many places I haven't been yet.

And I don't want to. I love what I do. Maybe I'll try to cut back at some point, but that's not easy in my line of business.

posted Hide Post
Thank you, everyone for the wonderful suggestions. You have given me a lot to research.

I am currently on a fishing trip in Alaska, so I will only be able to respond periodically this week, and will answer PM's when I return home. What a perfect time to day dream about this safari sitting on a boat salmon fishing!

While all suggestions truly are appreciated, I can say from reading this thread so far, that I do NOT want to move every 3-5 days, and I am not interested in trying to "see in it all" in one trip". I can do lots of those things separately, on a shorter trips. I really like the idea of getting to 1-2 remote spots, and really immersing myself in the experience. Clearly places like Tanzania and remote parts of Zambia may be at the top of the list, but I am still thinking about this.

The suggestions for Cameron and Uganda surprised me, but probably show my ignorance. I know of several animals available in each country, but they seem too specialized to spend nearly a month hunting there. Perhaps I need to learn more, but currently they don't seem like the right fit.

Part of the reason for this trip is my wife is convinced I really won't retire. Even though she wishes I would today. My job is such that I really can't be gone more than two weeks, so if I book this trip I HAVE TOO retire, as the company is obligated to fill my role when I am gone that long. It is a perverse incentive to draw a line in the sand and really retire, for good.

I have decided this trip gives me good reason to retire, and it should be a great transition for both of us.

Thanks again. I am reading responses on my phone when fishing is slow, but waiting to post replies until I am near a computer.

Cheers,

Will P.

Posts: 3 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 August 2022Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
I would go to Cameroon and spend 10-12 days chasing savannah buffalo, LORD derby Eland, and roan, then relocate to the jungles and hunt bongo, forest buffalo,duikers. These species are unique and found almost nowhere else.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13139 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
What I realized by reading this post is I can never retire. Too many places I haven't been yet.

And I don't want to. I love what I do. Maybe I'll try to cut back at some point, but that's not easy in my line of business.

That is the spirit!

As long as I am physically able, I will carry on.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look at doing an add on to Bangweluu in Zambia. The bird life is off the charts. Seeing thousands of lechwe while flying in and chasing them off the runway was a national geographic moment for me. Taking a dug out canoe through the channels. Shooting tessebee
Great experience

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
You have already been to many locations so I have little to add or suggest. I will say this.

We did a very extended multi location safari after Joyce's cancer and my retirement. I think it ended up being about 8 weeks all in starting with Elephant in Zim and then Leopards in the Niassa Reserve.

It was interesting how our internal clocks and pace slowed over that period. Add to that the removal of "we have to get back" and I guarantee the flow of your trip will feel different.

I also echo the suggestion of a good videographer instead of taxidermy. Good ones actually enhance the trip as I doubt we took ten pictures ourselves and stayed more in the moment as opposed to trying to capture it.

Cheers
Jim & Joyce

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brent ebeling:
Look at doing an add on to Bangweluu in Zambia. The bird life is off the charts. Seeing thousands of lechwe while flying in and chasing them off the runway was a national geographic moment for me. Taking a dug out canoe through the channels. Shooting tessebee
Great experience

Yes Zambia is very varied and it is estimated that there is some 70,000 Black Lechwe here.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

one of us
posted Hide Post
What Fairgame said. I vividly remember seeing an estimated 5,000 bulls in one herd on the short grass plain. Just an incredible sight. Try isolating one bull to shoot out of that bunch.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12864 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:

That is the spirit!

As long as I am physically able, I will carry on.

My thoughts exactly,I am 65 & contemplating a new career,my father was the oldest in his profession still working at 77,end of this year I am taking a break,it's time for an African experience Smiler,then I will jump back in to the rat race Wink

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will, just one thing to consider....if you hunt multiple countries on one trip.... you'll need Visas, gun paperwork, invitation letters, customs paperwork etc for each country. Might be a bit much.

Posts: 20085 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote