Find
Notify
Tools

York Mare
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted
How about this for an up and coming young PH? I am sure he will be noted in years to come.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...xuU&feature=youtu.be

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9842 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
Geeez, Talk about total pandemonium.

It's obvious he came from a long lineage of rich hunting heritage. Very knowledgeable. Him sharing his knowledge is exactly what I meant in some other thread by "telling me whats going on"

I learned much from that short video.

I shot my Elephant in Botswana in 2007 (?). It was in the Mababe depression, near the village of Mababe. When he hit the ground, nary a one villager showed up. I was disgusted to see 13'000# of Elephant rotting in the hot African sun.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3318 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
The Kardashians of hunting video?? rotflmo

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66701 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I thought it was really good as well.

Posts: 7762 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After watching that video......whose, among the 3 shooters, ele is it ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andrew,
Good call. York is very sharp. A friend of mine has hunted with him twice.
I was hunting in Zim in 2012 & his younger brother, Matt, was the apprentice PH. He told me about his brother who had recently passed Zim's rigorous PH course and (I believe) was the top of his class in at least the shooting portion of the course.

Doubleboy, on the previous episode, the brothers explained that they 'double up' on dangerous game. I actually kind of like the idea of this. With the current high trophy fees I see, it's twice the action at half the price if you have someone you really like hunting with.

York only shot because the elephant didn't drop at the brain shot.

Posts: 429 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Baker458,
Appreciate the clarification and agree with ya !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent episode! Very competent young PH and exciting hunt. Love that they showed every ounce of that elephant being utilized by the villagers.

Posts: 556 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:

It's obvious he came from a long lineage of rich hunting heritage. Very knowledgeable. Him sharing his knowledge is exactly what I meant in some other thread by "telling me whats going on"

I shot my Elephant in Botswana in 2007 (?). It was in the Mababe depression, near the village of Mababe. When he hit the ground, nary a one villager showed up. I was disgusted to see 13'000# of Elephant rotting in the hot African sun.

Damn, that sucks. I’ve shot 3 elephants in the Caprivi and all were turned into bones and blood in less than 10 hours. Lots of smiles and thank you from grateful villagers...

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13096 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
quote:

Damn, that sucks. I’ve shot 3 elephants in the Caprivi and all were turned into bones and blood in less than 10 hours. Lots of smiles and thank you from grateful villagers...

Yep, It was really depressing. We kept hunting for my Hyaena on the carcass, which was successful.

He was covered in gore and stench, was actually inside the carcass.

There was a day we drove up and there was NO KIDDING, at least 2000 vultures there. It looked like a horror movie.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3318 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Vultures gotta eat too

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Baker458:
Andrew,
Good call. York is very sharp. A friend of mine has hunted with him twice.
I was hunting in Zim in 2012 & his younger brother, Matt, was the apprentice PH. He told me about his brother who had recently passed Zim's rigorous PH course and (I believe) was the top of his class in at least the shooting portion of the course.

Doubleboy, on the previous episode, the brothers explained that they 'double up' on dangerous game. I actually kind of like the idea of this. With the current high trophy fees I see, it's twice the action at half the price if you have someone you really like hunting with.

York only shot because the elephant didn't drop at the brain shot.

That brain shot was quite a bit off, no? at that angle should have been just in front of the ear hole and down a skosh?

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Every single elephant I have shot have been fully utilized.

A truck load of people arrived at the carcass.

First order of business was start some fires.

They skinned it.

Pieces of meat were cut and put on the fire for snacks!

All hell broke loose once the skin was off.

People were crawling inside the stomach cavity, cutting upwards!

Knives sticking between others feet on top.

I just sat there taking photos.

When all was done, the only thing left for the vultures was blood and stomach content.

Nothing was left.

What I find a bit sad of the video above is it is not hunting.

Showman ship pure and simple.

Totally silly.

I would not waste my time watching it.

Posts: 66701 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Saeed, I can't remember where it is, but I have seen a picture of folks butchering an elephant and there is a guy literally head first inside the cavity with only his ass and legs hanging out...I'll have to find it...

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
As I said on another post on AR regarding this very same hunt as posted by Buchanan Hunts, York was an appy PH in camp in Dande South when a friend and I hunted the Zambezi Valley with Lance Nesbitt and Dean Kendall. We picked up a young man in one of the villages one day who told us he wanted to learn to work as a tracker. By the end of my safari, (Zvito was his name), he was the best tracker, among even the veterans. He's York's head tracker today. Zvito is an incredible tracker. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
That bull was dead as soon as the brother with the .416 fired the second shot of the fusillade. Good use of the sticks.

By the looks of it, he put his solid bullet right through the elephant's lungs and heart.

Not exactly my style of hunting, but so what? It was done legally and ethically, and the elephant died quickly.

Not to mention that, by shooting this bull, these boys fed an entire village, gave value to the animal, and epitomized African hunting as conservation.

Good video, by the way. Well done.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13313 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, You seem pretty grumpy lately. I thought that I was the grumpiest, fault finding guy on the forum, but you are working your way up to close to my level! chuckle. PS. please don't kick me off the forum I have no place to go. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Canada:
Saeed, You seem pretty grumpy lately. I thought that I was the grumpiest, fault finding guy on the forum, but you are working your way up to close to my level! chuckle. PS. please don't kick me off the forum I have no place to go. Brian

Not really.

Just don't like non stop adverts, silly behavior and bloody awful shooting.

Side brain shot on an elephant, with three shooters and all missed it!

And they put that silly thing on Youtube too!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:

Not really.

Come on Saeed, I think that's a bit harsh. Buchannan is trying to make a living doing what they love. When in the media business, how else can they survive without selling advertising?

Maybe the shooting was a bit of a goat rope but the Jumbo hit the ground.

Formerly "Nganga"

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:

Not really.

Come on Saeed, I think that's a bit harsh. Buchannan is trying to make a living doing what they love. When in the media business, how else can they survive without selling advertising?

Maybe the shooting was a bit of a goat rope but the Jumbo hit the ground.

I can put up with the adverts, but the Kardashian style reality behavior of the crew, and utterly bad shooting, is not.

Bloody hell, that video can be used as an example of NOT to shoot an elephant!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, you need to watch the video more closely.

True enough that the first shot, the offhand, side brain shot taken by the brother with the .375, missed.

Too far forward.

But the second shot, taken by the other brother off the sticks, a split second later, was a fatal shot.

The rest were just paying the insurance, never a bad idea on elephant.

I have no issues with any of that.

Not my style, but I would never presume to impose my style on anyone else who acts legally and ethically.

I’m just torqued off that I’ve apparently been spending way too much money on 14 and 21 day safaris over the years.

My next elephant hunt will be with York Maré for a day and a half!

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My next elephant hunt will be with York Maré for a day and a half!

rotflmo clap rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
The point I was making is that there are very few up and coming young PHs and I was impressed with this lad's ability and look forward to hearing more about him.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9842 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Ahrenberg 100% on this, if the advertisements are the cost of seeing some great content, that is great by me. There is so little NEW high-quality African hunting to watch right now, I'm really impressed & hoping Andy makes it past "Season 50."

And once the Elephant doesn't drop to the attempted brain shot, hit him with everything you've got because I can't imagine counting out the $100 bills for that trophy fee, with no Elephant in the salt!!

Posts: 429 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, OK maybe I need to be more discerning. I will watch it again. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In 2013 I made my way to Zim for my third safari, a plainsgame hunt in the Save. Upon arrival at camp we were greeted by a young man who I thought must be a camp helper. He looked about 13 years old! I'm sure it raised my eyebrow when it was pointed out that he was to be my PH.
I learnt a lesson that day. Don't judge a book by it's cover as they say.
From the first to the last day of the hunt I had the most fantastic time. Not just the hunting but the whole experience. He was continually pointing out plants, birds, reptiles, insects etc. His communication with me was exemplary. He made the trip most memorable.
As I have pointed out that was 8 years ago. He's probably even better now. I would love to hunt with him again.

Bill

Posts: 94 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 23 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sure like the keen and brilliant energy of those young guys. I enjoyed the video a lot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Upon arrival at camp we were greeted by a young man who I thought must be a camp helper. He looked about 13 years old! I'm sure it raised my eyebrow when it was pointed out that he was to be my PH.
I learnt a lesson that day. Don't judge a book by it's cover as they say.

rotflmo I hunted with York when he was a PH appy in 2011. He looked 8 at that time! clap He's married with a kid now. He and Zvito make a great package! tu2 He's had that same blue hunting vehicle since I knew him. He took us all across the Zambezi Valley from Dande South up to Chifuti's fishing camp Tafika in that beast.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I first met York while on safari in the Sengua Research Area in Zimbabwe. Damn, it has been a few years ago and I don't remember the exact date. He was an appy at the time working for HHK Safaris and I was impressed with his abilities. I would hunt with York in a heart beat, but I would not hunt with York while he was working with HHK. It was this safari that I had a very bad experience with HHK and there is no way in hell would I ever book with Graham Hingeston, HHK. I am very gratified that this young man has separated from HHK and has gone on to form his own safari company. My best wishes to York and his new endavor.

Posts: 788 | Location: La Luz, New Mexico USA | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing. Enjoyed that

Posts: 103 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 January 2021Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shared a camp with York twice while he was apprenticed with HHK, once in Sengwa and once in Dande S. In the latter case, our camp burned to the ground shortly before we showed up and apparently York got up on the burning thatch roof and pulled the thatch out with his bare hands. He also rescued an orphaned elephant calf and was feeding it while we were there. I could see back then he was going to make a good PH.

I see HHK has come back from the dead, somehow. They have some good areas again. Not sure how they pulled that off but I won't be sending them any clients any time soon, they shafted the last one I sent and GH was thoroughly unpleasant about the whole thing.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2926 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I concur with Saeed regarding the Saffers masquerading as PHs in various African locations on TV. Watching between the lines, there is a wealthy Texan bankrolling the whole operation and doing a lot of the hunting himself. It helps to have a sugar daddy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Gould:
I concur with Saeed regarding the Saffers masquerading as PHs in various African locations on TV. Watching between the lines, there is a wealthy Texan bankrolling the whole operation and doing a lot of the hunting himself. It helps to have a sugar daddy.

"Can't we just all get along"

Great example of what Lane and I were discussing in another thread.

Hell, I just enjoy the videos. I couldn't give one single shit about who the money behind them are.

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

"Can't we just all get along"

Great example of what Lane and I were discussing in another thread.

Hell, I just enjoy the videos. I couldn't give one single shit about who the money behind them are.

Yep. 100%. After all, if it weren't for guys with the money to go on these hunts, the entire safari industry and conservation through hunting model would fail. Who cares if the videos are being produced by one guy doing most of the hunting? I enjoy the videos.

I wonder if Russ has a similar complaint about Saeed's videos, calling him the wealthy sugar daddy bankrolling the production and doing a lot of the hunting himself?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed is not selling TV episodes or hunts. He can take all the videos of his own hunts he can afford.

I just find it very odd that clients hire a Saffer to take them on a hunt in Tanzania or Zimbabwe, where the Saffer is not licensed as a PH or even as an operator. There are plenty of good PHs in said countries. But I suppose if they are willing to pay for the company, more power to them. I am sure they have their reasons.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Saeed is not selling TV episodes or hunts. He can take all the videos of his own hunts he can afford.

I just find it very odd that clients hire a Saffer to take them on a hunt in Tanzania or Zimbabwe, where the Saffer is not licensed as a PH or even as an operator. There are plenty of good PHs in said countries. But I suppose if they are willing to pay for the company, more power to them. I am sure they have their reasons.

Who are you referring to as not a licensed PH?

Posts: 488 | Location: WI | Registered: 31 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AXEL19:
quote:

Who are you referring to as not a licensed PH?

Right. I've seen them with Peter Wood, Alan Shering, and Rich Tabor in Zim. I've personally hunted with Alan and Rich. Both are most certainly licensed PHs. And not South Africans for that matter.

I guess haters gonna hate tho!

coffee

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have no idea who York Mare is.

The comments I made above is in regard to the video.

Which as far as I am concerned shows three clueless shooters trying to kill an elephant with a side brain shot, and failing miserably!

The video company has the audacity to actually show this on Youtube too.

I suppose they had to show something to include with all the silly, totally unsporting, behavior - to me, any way - of hi fiving and silly jinks.

I wish York all the best.

I just hope he does not get that glorious of all awards.

The SCI PROFESSIONAL HUNTER OF THE YEAR AWARD.

We all know what that normally leads to, as any relationship to being chosen by that most gloriously unsporting organization hunters have.

SCI, which has a track record of picking some of the most unprofessional, unethical, crooks to award their medal too.

I have always wondered if SCI has actually lifted a finger to help those being cheated by the award winner??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is AR social media? I suppose one could call it that?

But it sure as hell is not Facebook or anything like Facebook.

I don’t and will never belong to Facebook.

Too many wackos with agendas on that platform.

I like to think that AR is different.

Mike