New
Find
Notify
Tools

Con Van Wyk - RIP
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just learned that my first Professional Hunter, Con Van Wyk, has passed away after a long illness.

RIP

Posts: 1853 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Neil-PH
posted Hide Post
RIP Con.........started my PH career with Con in Chewore South, back in the 80's.

An accident prone guy, but someone who lived for his job.

Posts: 533 | Location: The Plains of Africa | Registered: 07 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Neil-PH:
RIP Con.........started my PH career with Con in Chewore South, back in the 80's.

It must have been something being the first to hunt Chewore South back in the day.I read about you being the first to hunt there in the 100th or latest issue of African Outfitter magazine.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Clients loved to hunt with him.
We had a awesome Safari together in the Selous.
RIP Con

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
RIP Con

Not a day goes by that I do not think about our our hunt and adventure in the Selous. One tough individual.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3013 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Neil-PH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
quote:

It must have been something being the first to hunt Chewore South back in the day.I read about you being the first to hunt there in the 100th or latest issue of African Outfitter magazine.

Drove in to Chewore and arrived at the confluence of the Angwa and Maura rivers to build a camp, which was a few hundred meters from the National Parks camp. Recall throwing a mattress on the deck that night, and hardly slept with the sound of lions creeping ever closer. We had a female leopard resident in and around the camp, and it became her ritual to walk in and out of our very rustic PH sleeping quarters, made up of a roof and 4 foot high timber walls with no doors or windows. What a magical place; wild and true.

Con is no doubt looking down on Chewore with fond memories.

Posts: 533 | Location: The Plains of Africa | Registered: 07 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Drove in to Chewore and arrived at the confluence of the Angwa and Maura rivers to build a camp, which was a few hundred meters from the National Parks camp. Recall throwing a mattress on the deck that night, and hardly slept with the sound of lions creeping ever closer. We had a female leopard resident in and around the camp, and it became her ritual to walk in and out of our very rustic PH sleeping quarters, made up of a roof and 4 foot high timber walls with no doors or windows. What a magical place; wild and true.

I took my buffalo out of the Angwa River Camp with Con in 89'.

Posts: 1853 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Sad to hear and my condolences to his family.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9846 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
What terrible news, my condolences to the family. Con was my first PH on my first trip back in 1991. Spent 14 great days afield in his company. Great hunter and one helluva nice guy.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Such a sad deal. Condolences.

I had never heard his name, but apparently he was an accomplished PH who went above and beyond.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP Con a great man and hunter. Condolendces to his family

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

My very first Safari was booked with Con in 1995, and guided by you my friend! Sorry to hear of his passing!!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote