THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Simon Rodgers. Safaris the mozambique.

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Simon Rodgers. Safaris the mozambique.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of dwarf416
posted
I have been invited to Simon Rodgers area in Moz. Any tips,info, details, must do? Any info is more than welcome!

diego

Posts: 645 | Location: madrid spain | Registered: 31 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check your PM's

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1097 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Diego,

Gary Duckworth told me he thinks that Simon may have some of the best buffalo hunting in Africa. Neil Duckworth hunted one of my client up there and they took a 42" buffalo and a 15.5' crocodile. The area is huge and very wild. You should have a great time there.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12857 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dwarf416
posted Hide Post
Thanks 4 the info guys! Really appreciate it

diego

Posts: 645 | Location: madrid spain | Registered: 31 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunted with Simon, never got my trophies. Sent you a pm on the other details.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rastaman:
Hunted with Simon, never got my trophies. Sent you a pm on the other details.

You might be doing members a favor if you post the details here.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66901 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dwarf416
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info I am reciving. Will keep my eyes open!

diego

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I make my negative hunting reports public. It's controversial but I beleive it's very helpful to other who are about to spend a pile of money on a hunt.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Canada:
I make my negative hunting reports public. It's controversial but I beleive it's very helpful to other who are about to spend a pile of money on a hunt.

Exactly!

It also works wonders to stop future crooks in the industry to be extra careful of their behavior.

I have had outfitters and PHs who have had a negative report posted here complain that AR is not fair on them.

My answer has always been that they are free to post their side of the story.

We have also seen that happen, when the client was shown to be the crooked one.

Posts: 66901 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok here is the public reply. Simon sold me a late season lion hunt. The area is large and wild but at the time poaching was a very big problem. The camp was very nice and well staffed. I looked at a few lions but never saw a shooter. Everyone was familiar with the lions I saw. I began to suspect everyone, but me, knew there was not a shooter around. I shot a few other animals to include a nice buffalo but never received the trophies. I bugged him a few years then gave up. My advice was to be clear about the money. I ended up paying quite a bit for what turned out to be a buffalo and hippo hunt. I wasn't cheated but the overall experience was not one I would do again. Simon made no effort to treat me squarely on the deal. I can't say he is crooked or anything, just make sure you have a clear understanding in writing. He also took our passports when we got there which unnerved me considerably. I have never let that happen since. Btw--I have been on a dozen or so hunts so I do have a basis for comparison. Sorry for the vague description but I am trying to be as fair as possible and separate what I think he could control from the random hand of fate that goes with hunting completely wild areas. In the end I would just say he is a difficult person that isn't exactly making high marks on the trust scale.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rastaman, That is a very clear and level handed discription of your experience with this outfitter.

I wish more travelling hunters would do that. It would make us a harder target for shakey outfitters. We are vulnerable enough as consumers.
I say, if an outfitter is unprofessional we should make him famous.
Sometimes a little crap rolls back on the messanger but that's life when you stand up for the truth/facts.
This is all on him , not on you.

Thanks for your candid report. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What could his excuse for taking your passports possibly have been?

Posts: 13227 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keep them secure. Right when we got there. Somehow in my jet lagged state I just handed them to him. Then, for two weeks I could just feel the coercive pressure of not having that golden ticket in my pocket. To be clear, he never used it as leverage. Of course I didn't get it back until I had paid. Live and learn....that passport is your most valuable asset in places like that. Since then mine goes with me everyday, even while stalking buffalo for hours in the bush.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I didn't get it back until I had paid.

He obviously had you by the balls!

Posts: 1902 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Wow!

He did have you by the balls, I can't imagine that.

I met this Swiss nurse in working abroad in my travels, the company that she worked for kept her passport, and it drove her nuts.

Posts: 7767 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Canada:
I make my negative hunting reports public.

Making positive hunting reports can have a tremendous effect as well.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Give me the simple life; an AK-47, a good guard dog and a nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store.

Posts: 817 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I love hunting reports, thanks. Everyone posting bad experiences by a hunter help keep the outfitters honest.

Posts: 7767 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
On a number of occasions, we have voluntarily given our PH our wallets and passport for safe keeping in the camp.

In these camps, they had a more secure lock up box in the supply tent, and all valuables were stored there.

There is nothing wrong with that, as we had complete trust in our PH.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
On a number of occasions, we have voluntarily given our PH our wallets and passport for safe keeping in the camp.

In these camps, they had a more secure lock up box in the supply tent, and all valuables were stored there.

That is exactly correct. I almost always leave my passport and cash in the lodge safe in Argentina, but I've been hunting with them for 11 years and known them almost 20.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DCS Member:
quote:

That is exactly correct. I almost always leave my passport and cash in the lodge safe in Argentina, but I've been hunting with them for 11 years and known them almost 20.

I have as well; it never entered my mind he would use it as a negotiating tool. My biggest fear is losing the damn thing.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I hunted with Simon in Aug. 2014. It was my first rip to Africa and it exceeded my highest expectations. I took a great buffalo. I have zero complaints about Simon's operation.
It took a bit over a year to get the buffalo back to the states, but that was expected.

Posts: 22 | Location: W. KENTUCKY | Registered: 13 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Same here. I felt much better knowing my passport, cash and tickets were locked in the safe. Much safer than in my tent or on my body. I might consider keeping a photocopy of my passport, gun permits, etc. with me. There is a spare set of all in my locked gun case.

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend and I hunted with Simon in 2011. We had a good hunt and killed two 40" buff. I also killed a big eland and a great bushbuck. The only bad part of the hunt was that it took two and one half years to get our heads. Had the bushbuck mounted, the two buff's and the eland heads just cleaned and the eland hide tanned. By the time they got home the bill was over five grand. I would hunt with him again but would bring home only what was in the camera.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We had a great hunt with Simon.
Loved the area and the trip as a hole.
Great PH, Lance N.

We pick Simon based on the camp as the family came along.

Good meals.

But you need to be carful with money.
I think we were out of our price range. As the other clients owned very large companies that were in camp. Were money would have been no issue.

Cost us thousands to get our animals back.
But that is not Simon's fault.

I would go again if money was no object.

Nothing bad happend to use but I think the potentual is there.

PM if you want more details.

Posts: 376 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 June 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I can vouch for Lance Nesbit.

He is a great guy and has hunted with us before.