New
Find
Notify
Tools

So who's booked for 2021?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never met Mike, but he comes from a long line Tanzanian hunting family. Heard he recently acquired that concession.

Posts: 9994 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roll-over Buff and Suni bowhunt with Mark Haldane in Mozambique.
Plus the usual Zululand trips in my home province of Kaw Zulu Natal in South Africa.

JCHB

Posts: 412 | Location: KZN province South Africa | Registered: 24 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
John,

I've hunted the next concession twice and cats on the ticket both times. Always lots of water there. I think that's good, but it has it's own challenges. Lot's of buffalo and easy. Just hunt the river. The plains game can be a bit more dicey as they're spaced out. Especially Roan. Unsuccessful X 2. Probably because I was hunting cats. You become a slave to cats.

We were tripping over both roan and sable and joked that if we were hunting them it would be different. I have probably shot my last cat. Not that I don't enjoy it but, as you say, cats take over a safari. I'm not mad at zebra anymore but how many times have I shot them just to top off baits? I just take out multiple buffalo licenses and it's worked pretty well.

This was my first hunt with Mike. He's excellent. I recounted a story to him that I had met his father (George) back in 1990. I was hunting with Mike Carr-Hartley and we were refueling in Tabora. We got out to relieve ourselves along a line of bushes and at the other end was George doing the same thing. Mike said "That's George Angelides. He's a great hunter." Funny how things come full circle in life.

Posts: 477 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnDL:
quote:
John,

I've hunted the next concession twice and cats on the ticket both times. Always lots of water there. I think that's good, but it has it's own challenges. Lot's of buffalo and easy. Just hunt the river. The plains game can be a bit more dicey as they're spaced out. Especially Roan. Unsuccessful X 2. Probably because I was hunting cats. You become a slave to cats.

We were tripping over both roan and sable and joked that if we were hunting them it would be different. I have probably shot my last cat. Not that I don't enjoy it but, as you say, cats take over a safari. I'm not mad at zebra anymore but how many times have I shot them just to top off baits? I just take out multiple buffalo licenses and it's worked pretty well.

This was my first hunt with Mike. He's excellent. I recounted a story to him that I had met his father (George) back in 1990. I was hunting with Mike Carr-Hartley and we were refueling in Tabora. We got out to relieve ourselves along a line of bushes and at the other end was George doing the same thing. Mike said "That's George Angelides. He's a great hunter." Funny how things come full circle in life.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bi...igshid=1re64n5zpcf2k

I don’t know if this link will show up but it is a good photo of George Angelides.

Question for John and Lavaka: You mention Lukwati a lot but how is the hunting/game in the adjoining areas, Chunya and Piti, I believe they are called?

Posts: 1859 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Safari2:
quote:
Originally posted by JohnDL:
quote:
John,

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bi...igshid=1re64n5zpcf2k

I don’t know if this link will show up but it is a good photo of George Angelides.

Question for John and Lavaka: You mention Lukwati a lot but how is the hunting/game in the adjoining areas, Chunya and Piti, I believe they are called?

Thanks for posting the pic of George.

I was only in Chunya briefly. As it is adjacent to Lukwati it seems pretty much the same. I haven't seen Piti.

Posts: 477 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by REMN JR:
A return to Royal Kafue with my two sons for buffalo, sable and roan was rolled from this past August to next year.

In the meantime, I'm headed with a buddy to Lunga Luswishi next week. Boys are upset but schooling comes first, at least according to my wife.

You are going to have a fantastic time hunting with Richard. His camp is excellent, very good food and Richard is top notch. Lots of plains game and great cat hunting. You’ll take some fantastic trophies if you’re selective at all. Weather should be wonderful, the river will be low and lots of game near the river. I’d love to hunt with Richard again.

Posts: 3851 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:
quote:
Originally posted by REMN JR:
A return to Royal Kafue with my two sons for buffalo, sable and roan was rolled from this past August to next year.

In the meantime, I'm headed with a buddy to Lunga Luswishi next week. Boys are upset but schooling comes first, at least according to my wife.

You are going to have a fantastic time hunting with Richard. His camp is excellent, very good food and Richard is top notch. Lots of plains game and great cat hunting. You’ll take some fantastic trophies if you’re selective at all. Weather should be wonderful, the river will be low and lots of game near the river. I’d love to hunt with Richard again.

We will all be hunting together. 2 hunters and 2 PHs.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9860 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JohnDL,

Had to pass on a nice roan because he was too close to a hot leopard bait one year. Took the leopard a couple of days later. Had to break off tracking another to get to a bait on the other side of the concession.

Safari2,

No experience with either Chunga or Piti. Sorry.

Posts: 9994 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Piti is a long drive from Lukwati. I shot a nice kudu in Piti.

Posts: 1789 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote