Find
Notify
Tools

Tanzania - 1961 Safari
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of kudu4u
posted Hide Post
Thanks mrlexma on the zebra answer. It is sure beautiful as are all the others here.

"In these days of mouth-foaming Disneyism......"--- Capstick
Don't blame the hunters for what the poachers do!---me

Benefactor Member NRA

Posts: 477 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 13 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
wow what great pics, i would love to see all 3000 slides, pics of camps, everything, great stuff,

sorry about the spelling,
I missed that class.

Posts: 1407 | Location: Beverly Hills Ca 90210<---finally :) | Registered: 04 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am glad everyone is enjoying the pictures. It's been great for my Dad and I as well. I need to work on getting some details on this safari to Tanzania - this is exactly what I am trying to keep from happening - most of the stories from these trips will be lost if they don't get written down somewhere.

Brant

Posts: 76 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 13 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nickudu,

I am not sure who the PH was on that trip.

Part of the motivation for scanning all these pictures was to keep from losing whatever details we can round up on these trips. My grandfather and father made many trips with Erwin Bauer over the years, and he published dozens of stories on their adventures over the years. I have a lot of the articles, but not all of them - scanning them in will be the next step of this project - maybe a personal version of your files here on AR.

Glad you've enjoyed the photos.

Brant

quote:
Originally posted by Nickudu:
quote:
Originally posted by silwane:
These are fantastic. Thank you so much for sharing. I love these old pictures of Africa. I once dated a girl whose grandparents were good friends of Barry Brooks. Anyhow, they somehow had many old black and white pictures of Barry Brooks on safari. My favorite was a roughly 20x24 picture of Mr Brooks with a huge tusker well over the 100lb mark. I asked for this picture but to no avail. However for christmas I recieved a black rhino foot made into storage container that was given to them by Mr. Brooks.
Africa during the "golden age" what an experience it must have been....

Might that be Berry Brooks?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
After I started hunting the first thing I did on Sunday morning was to get the Commerical Appeal from Memphis, Tn. and turn to the outdorr page. Many times there were articles about Berry Brooks. I also had the pleaure of seeing many of his trophies when they were on display at the Pink Palace Museum in Memphis.
A good friend of mine has a proto over/under made by Weatherby for Brooks. My friend ended up the the gun.

Cordra York of Memhis had many of his trophies from all over the world on display at his sporting goods store in Memphis. A visit to that store was always the highlite of any trip to Memphis. Years later I was on a dove shoot in Argentina and Cordra was in our group. He told great stories.

Posts: 555 | Location: the Mississippi Delta | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know if anyone will remember this thread I started years ago...I did some digging and found a couple of newspaper articles about this trip - the local paper did two stories on the trip.

My grandfather hunted with Clary Palmer Wilson (for elephant) and with Keith Cormack for buff and other species.

I have jpegs of the newspaper articles if anyone is interested, I can't seem to post them.

Times sure have changed since 1961.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And it was a hell of a dik dik.

Posts: 10000 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
And it was a hell of a dik dik.

Agreed

Posts: 1904 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent post!

Posts: 1789 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
amazing!

I really enjoy the old safari pic's!

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting up this thread again, what times, and pictures!

Posts: 558 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brant:
I don't know if anyone will remember this thread I started years ago...I did some digging and found a couple of newspaper articles about this trip - the local paper did two stories on the trip.

My grandfather hunted with Clary Palmer Wilson (for elephant) and with Keith Cormack for buff and other species.

I have jpegs of the newspaper articles if anyone is interested, I can't seem to post them.

Love this thread and your photos. Glad you resurrected it as I haven't seen it before. Hopefully you can post some more Tanzania photos and the newspaper articles.

Keith and Alice Cormack lived a couple miles from us in my youth. Fantastic guy. Keith shot 2-4 of the "Maneaters of Njombe" one evening as they were stalking he and his brother while they were out hunting for meat.

Keith's father Major (James) Cormack settled in the Chimala area in the early 1930's and had the only hotel/restaurant/petro station between Iringa and Mbeya. Major Cormack ran the marathon for Great Britain in the Olympics around 1906. He was something like 12th place if I recall correct.

Thanks for bringing back good memories. All the best.

Posts: 800 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Great photos! What incredible treasures and memories. Thanks for sharing.

I recognized Clary in one of your photos. My Uncle hunted with him a few times back in the late 50’s, early 60’s. A friend of mine from Texas also hunted with Clary and Clary’s son Mike, in the early 70’s. I got to meet Clary at my Aunt and Uncles anniversary back 30-35 years ago. He was living on the West Coast at the time if I remember correctly.

I still have quite a few photos from his Tanzania trips. What a great time to be able to hunt Africa.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:

I’ll post any pics you have. I love this stuff.

I’ll send you a PM and we can get things rolling.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Here are the articles.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love the newspaper articles. Thanks for sharing them Brant and thanks for posting them Baxter.

It is interesting that the first article talks about unrest in the Congo exactly one day prior to the CIA taking out Patrice Lumumba, the first elected president of the DRC. The irony/timing is uncanny.

Also, the newspaper mentions Clary Palmer-Wilson was responsible for a 64" buffalo. That buffalo as I recall was taken at Lake Manyara and should still be the world record. Would love to see a photo if anyone knows of that buff.

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mike H.:
I am surprised. Any number of you called the Klipspringer a duiker. Whats the deal??

Except, it’s actually a dik dik.

Posts: 3855 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Brant, thanks so much for bringing this thread back up. Some wonderful photos of a time few of us got to experience. Please share more photos, they’re wonderful.

Posts: 3855 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mike H.:
I am surprised. Any number of you called the Klipspringer a duiker. Whats the deal??

Except, it’s actually a dik dik.

Hahaha! Someone else started the klipspringer rumor, but I first called it a duiker!

Great thread; thanks for bringing it back up. Love the photos and background information.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I was only born 20 years earlier. Sigh!

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12864 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Posting for AilsaWheels:

Keith Cormack holding rhino hind legs.

Keith in the 80's or 90's.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Appreciate the help Baxter!

You are kind to a technologically challenged old gubber. Wink

Good people like Keith deserve to be remembered even if it is by just a small band of us.