THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Anyone Heard Of This Regarding Anti Malaria Drug??

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone Heard Of This Regarding Anti Malaria Drug??
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
Strange!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66908 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
This was reported last year. But I thought she was taking Larium.

Doxycycline is an anti-biotic that can be used as an anti-malarial. My understanding is that it’s a last-ditch method and has less success than malarone or Larium.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
This was reported last year. But I thought she was taking Larium.

Doxycycline is an anti-biotic that can be used as an anti-malarial. My understanding is that it’s a last-ditch method and has less success than malarone or Larium.

Yep. Reported previously, including the same photos of the area and inside the plane. At the time, they said Larium.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
A number of us have taken Latium for years, and no side effect whatsoever!!??

On,y changed to Malarone a few years ago because my doctor recommended it.

Again, no side effects at all.

I eat so much chili and lemon juice my wife says mosquitoes land on me and drop dead!! rotflmo

Posts: 66908 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
No side effects for you Saeed because you are already crazy...ha!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah! This one is old news but I've heard of a number of people that have had psychotic episodes on Larium.

I personally think Laruim made me anxious. Switched to Malorone and that went away.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12858 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have heard of clients having to cut their hunt short because either them or members of their families went nuts!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've always taken Malarone. Scary thought, a psychotic episode with a rifle in my hands while taking Larium.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've always taken Malarone.

Me too. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's well known that doxycycline can cause sensitivity to sunlight, especially in people with fair skin. My wife had a bad reaction while we were in Zimbabwe in 2012. She stopped taking it, and was mush better in a couple of days. I have heard about mental issues with other anti-malarials, but not with doxy. Maybe those of us who choose to hunt dangerous game are already crazy enough that we just don't notice the side effect!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
quote:
I've always taken Malarone.

Me too. tu2

+1

Posts: 3965 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It’s also a little difficult to say someone in that age range had a psychotic break just because of one medication.

The way to prove it would be to stop the Med, and the issue resolved.

I’ve never heard of doxycycline causing delirium or psychosis... but she was I the age range for initial development of psychosis, and substance abuse is also a possibility.

Doxy has its side effects, but this is a new one, and it’s been around for a long time...

Posts: 10573 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Well it may explain Walter! Wink rotflmo

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7969 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When first reported when it happened , it clearly mentioned Larium.
I think the Daily mail has got it mixed up.
They aren’t a great media publisher!

One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
I have seen people freak the hell out when mixing mefloquine (Larium) with alcohol. It just gives most people crazy dreams (when washed down with alcohol)

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Larium is bad acid. Not for me.

Not no time, not no how.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13378 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
People differ in their brain chemistry.

One toke of cannabis will make some folks paranoid, cowering in the corner thinking the police are coming to get them.
They will never do it again.

One dose of opioid makes some people feel very lethargic and sad, very depressed.
Those folks will never take it again if they have a choice.

There are other ways brain chemistry differences show up, like with Larium,
and whether a person is a Democrat or a Republican.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
There are other ways brain chemistry differences show up, like with Larium,
and whether a person is a Democrat or a Republican.

rotflmo clap rotflmo Damn, RIP, you've hit the nail on the head again! rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’m sitting here with a PHD pharmacist, she read the article and said "anything is possible but sounds like BS"

M

Posts: 1227 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took Doxy for a long while in Africa and Borneo no issues.

Larium was scary and cut short the course after a bout a week. I would drop off to sleep in a chopper after a hard day in the jungle and have vivid dreams snapping me awake. And if I had had a firearm I probably would have killed everyone on that chopper. Stopped taking it immediately, no matter the malaria threat.

no issues with malarone but sometimes hard to get and expensive, and doxy was also good against tick fever etc.

DRSS

Posts: 1904 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I took Doxy for years in the military in Iraq and Somalia.

It gives you physcho dreams, but compared to the other crap that they used to give us it was probably ok.

The Navy never did this, but the Air Force put pilots and maintenance crews on Meth-Amphetamines to keep them awake on long flights.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know someone who has never had any mental health issues. He took larium and had to be tied to a tree to stop him for killing everyone in camp.

Larium is bad news.

Posts: 11944 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Navy never did this, but the Air Force put pilots and maintenance crews on Meth-Amphetamines to keep them awake on long flights.

I watched a historical documentary on television recently that stated that soldiers/fliers on both sides of World War II were given them at various times to keep them going and fighting.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
quote:

I watched a historical documentary on television recently that stated that soldiers/fliers on both sides of World War II were given them at various times to keep them going and fighting.

We watched the same show... crazy stuff...

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
The Nazi's did this.

The Air Force still does it, as far as I know for pilots.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Malarone is all I have ever taken.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lot of lies going on here about methamphetamine use in the US military.
True, Hitler and his Nazi soldiers used it heavily.
"Meth" has a bigger rush and longer duration of effects than other amphetamines.
They are not the same.

Here is a pdf about amphetamine use in the military,
since WWII in UK and USA:

https://www.thelancet.com/pdfs...014067360315060X.pdf

I was a USAF flight surgeon in the 1980's.
For extended missions or combat a pilot might get a prescription for one amphetamine pill such as dexedrine, the GO PILL.
He also got one barbiturate dose, the NO-GO PILL, to take afterwards to help get to sleep if needed.
If he needed it again, he had to see the FS again.
There was no methamphetamine craze going on.
Different drug, and strictly controlled.
A lot of kids take far more amphetamines in their ADHD meds, and do so chronically. Helps them concentrate and stay on task at school.
It was "o'beastly" used as "diet pills" and some medical interns and residents at the House Of God used it to pull their 36-hour shifts in the old days.
Most just used caffeine pills.

The US Navy does it too, with approval of the air wing commander for aircrews.

The BS has been shoveled.

I fear that long term use of amphetamines for ADHD treatment is a big factor in producing Democrats.
I know for certain that long term use of cannabis produces Democrat brain chemistry,
since that lowers IQ and increases incidence of psychosis.

How about those suicide pills for covert operations ?
They must surely be tightly controlled too.
Best prescribed to Democrats only.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I took mostly Doxy or Malorone .... no problems. I preferred Doxy..It must work I think I became a blood brother to the Moskies and survived..but the Tetsi fly devoured much of my body parts!! faint

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I fear that long term use of amphetamines for ADHD treatment is a big factor in producing Democrats.
I know for certain that long term use of cannabis produces Democrat brain chemistry,
since that lowers IQ and increases incidence of psychosis.

How about those suicide pills for covert operations ?
They must surely be tightly controlled too.
Best prescribed to Democrats only.

rotflmo clap rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Yeah! This one is old news but I've heard of a number of people that have had psychotic episodes on Larium.

I personally think Laruim made me anxious. Switched to Malorone and that went away.

Mark

My wife and I took Larium on four trips to Africa. On the first one I had a wierd dream, sort of hallucinogenic? Not a single other side effect. I would take it again without any fear.

Most of my money I spent on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted

Posts: 261 | Location: Saint Thomas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 14 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, my wife took it and was hallucinating!

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1097 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used Doxycycline on 5 trips to Africa with no problems. On 2 trips I was in areas with lots of ticks and it is good to prevent tick fever also. On the longest trip I got a little sensitive to the sun near the end, but I had taken the doxycycline for about a month.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This has been adviced in Norway for a long time. There`s been quit a few studies done about it. They say that if you have had any experiences with mental issues you should only take Malarone. Both Doxy and Larium are risks of latent issues. If you don`t have any mentals issues or latent issues. It`s probably not a problem.

Posts: 1089 | Location: Norway | Registered: 08 June 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
A number of us have taken Latium for years, and no side effect whatsoever!!??

On,y changed to Malarone a few years ago because my doctor recommended it.

Again, no side effects at all.

I eat so much chili and lemon juice my wife says mosquitoes land on me and drop dead!! rotflmo

Me too Saeed! I have never had a problem from larium. Maybe that is because I'm not a demicrate. animal

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
I think some bad news reporting here!!

My wife, ARNP, and I have taken Doxy many times. especially on cruises where there is certain types of exposures. No side effects, except severe sunburn!!

My wife also took Doxy with another strengthening drug Repanfin, sp?? for over a year, after a MRSA infection after hip surgery, to ensure no return. No issues.

We still carry it for various travel issues and remedies.

I have had wild dreams while taking Lariam!! I mean wild that I still remember!!

470EDDY

Posts: 2557 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jriley
posted Hide Post
When I was in Namibia in 2007 I was on Larium - never again. I was staring at the campfire in the evening and thought it was hilarious. I just started laughing uncontrollably. The ph asked if I had taken Larium, and I said "Yes." He told me to throw it away. After that I was fine. When I go to Africa again I will take Malarone.