New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just saw a Facebook post
 Login/Join

Picture of Bakes
posted
of a dead young ele with smiling hunters standing behind. It was shared by a friend of mine (Probably soon to be ex friend because I had a crack at her Big Grin) Anyway the post named Buzz and CMS and the "Trophy Hunter".

This is the narrative that went with the photo-

They killed a baby elephant! The hunting company is Charlton McCallum Hunting Safaris. The owner is Buzz Charlton. The professional hunter is Max Delezenne and the trophy hunter is Mike Jines, the owner of TopGen Energy. Share and make them famous on the Internet for being scum of the earth!

This could get interesting between my "Friend" and I rotflmo

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7969 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep.

Greeted by that same SHIT this morning.

Mr. Jines is a friend and I wish him the best.

Facebook etal is pure evil.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cajun1956
posted Hide Post
Cecil Part Deux coffee

DSC Life Member
HSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
SCI
RMEF

Posts: 2021 | Location: Republic of Texico | Registered: 20 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Correct me if I`m wrong. But was this the elephant that charged them?

Have seen the same post. They love to steal pictures and make up a story of their liking to get people offended and angry!

Posts: 1089 | Location: Norway | Registered: 08 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Damnation.

one of us
posted Hide Post
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/m...ant-kill-speaks-out/

Georgia hunter threatened over photos with dead elephant speaks out
UPDATED ON: JANUARY 21, 2019 / 6:08 PM / CBS NEWS

An energy executive and safari hunter said he's received death threats after photos of him with a dead elephant sparked backlash on social media. Mike Jines, a partner with TopGen Energy in Georgia, said his critics are misinterpreting what really happened during a hunt in Zimbabwe, CBS affiliate WGCL-TV reports.

Jines said he and another hunter named Buzz shot two adult elephants in self-defense when they charged them during a hunt in October 2018. "The two elephant that are shown in the photos were shot in self-defense, in an unprovoked charge and both elephants were fully mature cows, not juveniles," he told WGCL in an email.

Jines said he and his company are now dealing with the fallout and making sure people understand the "actual facts as opposed to the mischaracterization of the information on social media."

Jines said the elephants were killed in a designated safari area and was conducted in compliance with laws and regulations in both Zimbabwe and the U.S. He called the majority of the responses to the images "profane" and "threatening."

"While I can appreciate that hunting can be polarizing and that views on hunting can vary materially, I am sure that you can appreciate what it is like to deal with the vitriol particularly when the underlying information in this case is inaccurate," he said.

First published on January 21, 2019

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9361 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Another version of that article linked back here.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Is this the same Mike Jines? Mike on AR lives in Houston and is an attorney IIRC.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cajun1956
posted Hide Post
Was the controversial photo posted on social media? Was the photo posted on a forum accessible by John Q Public? Was the photo photo-shopped? Was the SD card that included the photo stolen?

Inquiring minds want to know. cuckoo

DSC Life Member
HSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
SCI
RMEF

Posts: 2021 | Location: Republic of Texico | Registered: 20 June 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cajun1956:
Was the controversial photo posted on social media? Was the photo posted on a forum accessible by John Q Public? Was the photo photo-shopped? Was the SD card that included the photo stolen?

Inquiring minds want to know. cuckoo

It does not matter.

We consider both Mike and Buzz as friends, and they certainly do not deserve this description, and threats from stupid idiots who know nothing about conservation.

Why is Facebook allowing them to threaten people!

That stupid idiot Zuggerberg has an army of body guards.

Ordinary people do not.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66908 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Can't we let them believe he's in Georgia instead of posting his info on a public forum? We know it is Mike and the rest of the world doesn't need to know all his particulars! His emails are bad enough... don't need zealots at his front door.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
And he didn't post the photos on FB... someone else did.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
He lists Houston on his posts. My whole post is aimed at casting doubt this is the same Mike Jines, but perhaps you just told the world. If others think I should remove it, I will.

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Trouble with these posters on social media is that they simply lie and thus fraudulent. A large number of international hunters challenged this false accusation to some degree.

There is a chap Kevin Graham on fb who notifies the FBI of any threats targeted at hunters.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9860 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
My suggestion is that any of us on FB should object to these threats by notifying FB.

Posts: 66908 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As I have said before, you can find out where they work via LinkedIn, then tweet the threat and mention the company they work for. Large companies monitor social network activity.

One of Us
Picture of Cajun1956
posted Hide Post
Back when I was involved in serving felony warrants here in Harris County, I was advised that the County had over 20,000 open felony warrants for murder, rape, burglary, child abuse, etc.

Although I have been wrong before, I seriously doubt that the sheriff’s department will regard Facebook threats as a high priority.

None the less, I do hope that these threats are reported to the law enforcement authorities and that they they conduct a proper followup.

DSC Life Member
HSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
SCI
RMEF

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Mike and I had a big discussion over this type of thing back during the Cecil debacle. My point then, as it is now, was that these bullying tactics can be turned against any of us and the anti's don't care that the facts are on our side from a conservation standpoint. Killing iconic species is a hot button they can exploit to push their agenda and the 10 second sound-bite or photo will always outweigh the fact based explanation of the benefits of hunting. In fact, the opportunity for airing that explanation will never see the light of day, or as typical, will be buried at the bottom of page 10 in small print with the other retractions.

I'm far from having the answer to countering the social media mob mentality. It seems to me however, that we as hunters need to stand as a united front whenever hunts are conducted legally and one of our own becomes subject to the mob's harassment. I think this type of thing is going to continue unabated until such time, IF such time can be brought to fruition, whereby those who start and perpetuate these slander campaigns are held to account through the legal process.

I do hope the FBI investigates any and all threats in this case and gets it shut down ASAP. I also wonder again, is there no existing legal recourse against those who start and perpetuate these slander campaigns on social media today? If I'm not mistaken, there are anti internet bullying laws on the books already. Would something like this attack on Mike not fit that same description?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How many want to bet this makes its way into promotion of the new dumbo movie.

I hope to get to hunt enough to get death threats over it.

Posts: 10804 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cajun1956
posted Hide Post
Todd, I hate to answer your question with a question, but was the guy who threatened to bomb the DSC Convention back in 2015 (post Cecil debacle) brought to book?

He wasn’t very hard to locate. After an hour or two on the internet, I established communications with this potential terrorist.

DSC Life Member
HSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
SCI
RMEF

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cajun1956:
Todd, I hate to answer your question with a question, but was the guy who threatened to bomb the DSC Convention back in 2015 (post Cecil debacle) brought to book?

He wasn’t very hard to locate. After an hour or two on the internet, I established communications with this potential terrorist.

Probably not.

I suppose the point of my post is regardless of what the FBI or other law enforcement agencies are willing to investigate from a criminal standpoint, is there no Civil recourse for those being attacked to pursue in an effort to send a message that these types of slander attacks will not be tolerated without ramifications.

Of course, that may be tilting at windmills considering the global nature of social media and the difficulty in tracking down the origins of these smear campaigns in general.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Man, this stuff is getting out of control. Feel really bad for anyone who goes through this.

Just occurred to me, even though I've never been on Facebook, or any other social media, if I were on LinkedIn (have considered it for business) and a friend or outfitter posted a pic of me with certain species: These anti's would look me up, see where I work, and try to get me fired.

A shame, as we are on the right side of the issue; but 'Fake News' just isn't going to portray us that way.

Guess I can scratch 'sign up for LinkedIn' off my to-do list.

Posts: 434 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will bet the social media site from which the pictures were obtained that were used on other more distributable social media sights was Accurate Reloading Hunt reports.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
I will bet the social media site from which the pictures were obtained that were used on other more distributable social media sights was Accurate Reloading Hunt reports.

Mike

Interesting that "Lizzy" posts on Mike's hunt report a day or two before this happened.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:

Mike

Interesting that "Lizzy" posts on Mike's hunt report a day or two before this happened.

Yep!!!

One of Us
Picture of Cajun1956
posted Hide Post
If I understand correctly, a CBS affiliate included an excerpt from the AR Hunting Report within their initial article.

I will take a step back and let you guys carry on from here.

Cheers and keep well everyone!

DSC Life Member
HSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
SCI
RMEF

one of us
posted Hide Post
https://www.cbs46.com/news/saf...1a-4b3e66c2c306.html

Looks like it may have come from AR originally, in the attached link is a "click here" and it takes you to AR.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9361 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Well I've had a small exchange with my "Friend". She's all very emotional and this sort of thing "Disgusts" her as she sits down to a whopping steak every night Roll Eyes Big Grin. But as she pointed out she's entitled to her opinion. Wink

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7969 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
The Lefts agenda is to STAY in Power and Disarm Civilians. MAKE NO MISTAKE!!! Facebook,Twitter and the Liberal Media will do ANYTHING to Paint Firearms in a Bad light. Hope the Best for all involved.

Posts: 2326 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Mike is one of the most honest hunters I have ever known in my 70 plus years of hunting since the age of six years, and I assure the rank and file here that he did not break any game law in Zimbabwe, or anyplace else, and you can top this off with Buzz being 100% a bear where he insists on anyone he books to abide by all laws on the hunt.

This thread is the reason I have never made it a habit of posting hunting pictures on the internet for the dumb-ass know nothing so called animal rights dummies who are not afraid to lie through their teeth to insight a riot on Face-Book r other media!

………………………………………………. killpc old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was running my campaign for Circuit Judge last summer one of my opponents obtained a photo and quotes of me posing with my tuskless and bull ele. I was hunting with CMS and Richie Schultz was my PH. The political douche, who was her campaign manager, had obtained 2 photos of me posing with my tuskless and bull ele quoting me as saying "I love this, it is really addicting".

This horse-faced woman put out a hit piece mailer showing the photo and quotes along with a transcript of a plea that I did for a pedophile wherein he received 17 years in prison. I guess a criminal defense attorney shouldn't represent bad people was her thinking. Anyway I received more support and interest in what ele hunting encompassed and gave me opportunity to educate. Not one negative response on facebook or social media.

I won the election my a wide margin and she came in dead last in a three person race. Can't answer for why some catch hell and some don't on social media. I just used it as an opportunity to make the best out of an attempted character assassination.

My ivory, two pedestal mounted buff, my full lion mount, zebra rug and assorted ephemera are in my chambers and everyone comes by to look and photograph. I do have the coolest chambers in our courthouse. I will make NO apologies EVER.

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dutch44:
When I was running my campaign for Circuit Judge last summer one of my opponents obtained a photo and quotes of me posing with my tuskless and bull ele. I was hunting with CMS and Richie Schultz was my PH. The political douche, who was her campaign manager, had obtained 2 photos of me posing with my tuskless and bull ele quoting me as saying "I love this, it is really addicting".

This horse-faced woman put out a hit piece mailer showing the photo and quotes along with a transcript of a plea that I did for a pedophile wherein he received 17 years in prison. I guess a criminal defense attorney shouldn't represent bad people was her thinking. Anyway I received more support and interest in what ele hunting encompassed and gave me opportunity to educate. Not one negative response on facebook or social media.

I won the election my a wide margin and she came in dead last in a three person race. Can't answer for why some catch hell and some don't on social media. I just used it as an opportunity to make the best out of an attempted character assassination.

My ivory, two pedestal mounted buff, my full lion mount, zebra rug and assorted ephemera are in my chambers and everyone comes by to look and photograph. I do have the coolest chambers in our courthouse. I will make NO apologies EVER.

beer

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well done my friend!

Never give in to these idiots.

I have never lost an argument with any of these clueless idiots!

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Good job Dutch44! I too, have trophies in my law office. In 30+ years of having them in my office, I only had one potential client who told me that she was 'creeped out' by the mounts. Obviously, I did not take her matter. Most people walking by office look in and, if I'm not busy with a client or on the phone, as to come in and look. Gives me a great opportunity to discuss hunting and conservation.

One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have never posted a photo of me with a dead animal and never will. I've run three general elections for Judge, won the first two and lost the last one. Planning on running again, no way hell will I post those photos.

Posts: 751 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All depends where one is running for office. Marin county or upper west side in nyc - pictures with dead elephants won’t go to far. West Texas might be a different story.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have a very good spam filter, and one of the most annoying emails I get are from people’s LinkedIn accounts asking me to add them to my friends.

They go strait to the block list, and I never see them again!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just to check this out I read the article and clicked the link, twice, both times it was blocked. Right on Saeed!

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shelton, I didn't post the photos. They were stolen from the CMS website by a douche-bag poltical hack. I wouldn't have posted for my race but I ain't runnin' from it neither.

Funny, the people most interested in photographing my animals in my law office, over the years, were DEA, ATF, FBI, Postal Inspectors, City Detectives, Dept. of Justice (working on a case together), U.S. Attorneys and all of my staff's children. They all wanted photographs of them posing with the "Boys". Not one person expressed any disgust or offense.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
The end is near, gentlemen. I saw some of the animal rights posts on Facebook and we don't stand a chance. Too few of us, too many of them. All the feel good banter among fellow hunters will do sbsolutely nothing for the overall picture. We are too few for politicians to support us--even politicians that hunt won't stand up to the coming tidal wave. It's coming, folks. As soon as a politician makes airports gun free zones flying with guns will end and so will most international hunting.

I'm glad I saw at least the end of the game. Hunting is dying. A huge percentage of kids in the rural Alaska school I work at are not in favor of hunting. Some that eat moose meat have spoken out against my African hunting. When the democrats take power again--in 2 or 6 years--both our gun rights and hunt rights will change dramatically. The end is in sight, not here yet, but in sight.
Disagree with me? I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it. Disagree with me; I shoud repost this in 2 or 6 years and discuss then.

Don't get angry with me, I'm on your side, I just see it coming.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote