New
Find
Notify
Tools

Would you book a hunt to Cameroon
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Now with this Ebola outbreak in West Africa.
I have an opportunity to go next year and just wondering how far this this will spread?

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
Hi Jeff,
I was thinking the very same thing. For me, I would steer completely clear of West Africa till this thing either blows over or runs its coarse.

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3381 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't go near West Africa right now.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would go. I loved Cameroon. Ebola hasn't killed 1000 out of more than 100 million in west Africa and is not centered in Cameroon. If your afraid of that, I don't know how you drive on US roads because the body count and probability of injury or death is much higher. And don't look at the death statistics for using the bathroom in your house, or you may never sleep again.

One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Navaluk:
I would go. I loved Cameroon. Ebola hasn't killed 1000 out of more than 100 million in west Africa and is not centered in Cameroon. If your afraid of that, I don't know how you drive on US roads because the body count and probability of injury or death is much higher. And don't look at the death statistics for using the bathroom in your house, or you may never sleep again.

+1

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1427 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I think you'd be crazy to book now....... better to sit back and wait to see what happens until next year at least........ after all, the outfitters there will hardly be overwhelmed with bookings just now.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sure, I will go back to westafrica next season!

The major outbreak is in Conakry, that's about 2000miles from Cameroun.

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2072 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One can say I have a vested interest in saying everything is fine, because I sell hunts in West Africa. But firstly there are no reports of Ebola in Cameroon it is FAR away from where the outbreak is. And from everything I have read, unless you plan on hanging out in centers where they are treating Ebola patients, or eating fruit bats and stuff like that, you have a far better chance of getting trampled by an ele or buff or bitten by a snake!

Arjun Reddy

Posts: 2536 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If your afraid of that, I don't know how you drive on US roads because the body count and probability of injury or death is much higher. And don't look at the death statistics for using the bathroom in your house, or you may never sleep again.

Exactly

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
How about Boko Haram operating in Northern Cameroon?
I f I could bring my AR 15, night vision and load of hand grenades and license to kill, I would...

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Both Liberia and the WHO have stated "We have lost control of this Ebola outbreak"

That is complete insanity to even consider West Africa as a destination. The statistics for a fatal car collision or a fatal bathroom accident are not to be compared to a fatality rate of 95% for Ebola

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3381 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Navaluk:I would go. I loved Cameroon. Ebola hasn't killed 1000 out of more than 100 million in west Africa and is not centered in Cameroon. If your afraid of that, I don't know how you drive on US roads because the body count and probability of injury or death is much higher. And don't look at the death statistics for using the bathroom in your house, or you may never sleep again.

Both Liberia and the WHO have stated "We have lost control of this Ebola outbreak"That is complete insanity to even consider West Africa as a destination. The statistics for a fatal car collision or a fatal bathroom accident are not to be compared to a fatality rate of 95% for Ebola

I'm going to have to agree with Steve on this.
Might as well take a midnight stroll through the south side of Chicago.
Why even take the chance, there are way too many places to go & have an adventure to risk this.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:
quote:

Both Liberia and the WHO have stated "We have lost control of this Ebola outbreak"

That is complete insanity to even consider West Africa as a destination. The statistics for a fatal car collision or a fatal bathroom accident are not to be compared to a fatality rate of 95% for Ebola

+1

I would follow a very simple rule. See what the original colonial countries are doing. They know these countries and have a strong relationship.

If the French have a travel ban, if French travel has significantly dropped off, if French hunters are staying home. I would stay away.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:

They said on the news yesterday that the fatality rate is 70%.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12537 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I flew through Sud Afrika in 1994 when apartheid violence was at it's worst. Flew through London in September of 2006 when the liquid bomb scare was just a few days old and everyone was expecting a plane-based terrorist incident. Continue to ignore travel advisories to Zimbabwe. Hell, guess i will follow through with my trip for LDE in Cameroon in February 2015 unless I get waived off by the outfitter.

I don't tempt fate but I never run from it either.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
I flew through Sud Afrika in 1994 when apartheid violence was at it's worst. Flew through London in September of 2006 when the liquid bomb scare was just a few days old and everyone was expecting a plane-based terrorist incident. Continue to ignore travel advisories to Zimbabwe. Hell, guess i will follow through with my trip for LDE in Cameroon in February 2015 unless I get waived off by the outfitter.

I don't tempt fate but I never run from it either.

I think temping fate and voluntarily flying into a filthy, unsanitary and dangerous parts of the world, when things are safe and normal vs when conditions are bordering a pandemic is beyond a bad choice

Think about your family, say this were to escalate into a complete quarantine while your in country. You may not see your family for months, years or perhaps ever.

As far as taking chances; I hunted CAR in 2012 just before things went to hell. I waited to hunt CAR until there was a 4-5 year period of calm. I got in just under the wire.

I was flying to Lusaka August 10th, 2006. My wife had dropped me at my office in the morning with my gear. My business partner was to drop me at Sky Harbor on his way home from work.

Susan, (then at Gracey) called me to tell me to just wait to go to the airport until I heard from her. I wound up flying to London at around 1AM. The flight is regularly a 5PM affair.

I got to the airport, we were allowed to carry on; a wallet, passport in a clear Ziploc, that's all. I decided air travel, that day was probably the safest day to travel all year. Heathrow was militarized, dogs, machine guns, security checks on the jetways.

If vehicle accidents had a 95 percent or even 70 percent fatality rate, I'm sure we would look at car travel differently. If falling in the bathroom was 70-95 percent fatal, I would pee outside.

In the end, it's your money, your safari and your life. Hunting, to me, doesn't include, life of death issues like this.

I think my cycling hobby is more dangerous than hunting.

.02c

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
I go to west africa several times each year, will also continue to do so.

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A.Dahlgren:

Hi Anton,
I used to fly to Cabo almost every month for fishing. A cheap and short 1:45 flight from Phoenix.

I haven't gone since the cartels have made Mexico "less than desirable."

Now, I fly over Mexico going to South America and will continue to hunt Africa, yearly. I will just fly over West Africa getting to East Africa.

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Hi Anton,
I used to fly to Cabo almost every month for fishing. A cheap and short 1:45 flight from Phoenix.

Now, I fly over Mexico going to South America and will continue to hunt Africa, yearly. I will just fly over West Africa getting to East Africa.

I hear you Steve, but as with everything else you need to calculate the risks. For you getting Ebola in Africa and die, I can count 1000 things that probably is not more deadlier but you are more likely to die from it Smiler Did that come out right haha

Im actually in a slow process of making plans of driving from Sweden to Burkina with my Defender.

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Hi Anton,

I hear you Steve, but as with everything else you need to calculate the risks. For you getting Ebola in Africa and die, I can count 1000 things that probably is not more deadlier but you are more likely to die from it Smiler Did that come out right haha

Im actually in a slow process of making plans of driving from Sweden to Burkina with my Defender.

No f@cking way Anton.

I will email you a picture tomorrow from my work computer. See it and then tell me if you want to be a white guy doing a self drive in Burkina.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Ebola infection requires direct contact with body fluids of an infected victim- period. furthermore, evidence indicates that the infection is mainly likely only if you have small cuts and abrasions that are directly exposed to such fluids( in other words, a simple sneeze in your direction is not a major risk). if you look at the current epidemiology of the outbreak, the ones at risk are family members AND HEALTH CARE WORKERS. not hunters and staff in a safari camp. i loved my trip to Cameroon last April and would go back tomorrow if possible( the season is essentially over). everyone's risk tolerance is different, but as a medical professional, i would worry about this issue for about 10 seconds- then get on with trip planning. Cameroon is at least 1000k away from the nearest reported case of Ebola. it's like living in Phoenix and worrying about drug gang violence in Cabo rotflmo

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13141 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
As stated above, not airborne. 792 deaths so far.

2009 H1N1 deaths in the U.S....over 12,000.

Distance from Liberian border to Cameroon border: 1,200+ miles.

Distance from my house to Mexico (all kinds of disease and very high chance of lead poisoning): 150 miles.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
quote:

They said on the news yesterday that the fatality rate is 70%.

Which would suck if you're one of the 70%.

Posts: 3855 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cazador humilde:
As stated above, not airborne. 792 deaths so far.

2009 H1N1 deaths in the U.S....over 12,000.

Distance from Liberian border to Cameroon border: 1,200+ miles.

Distance from my house to Mexico (all kinds of disease and very high chance of lead poisoning): 150 miles.

All I can say is, be my guest. Just one infected guy in one of those busy, third world shithole airports is all it takes.

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of emron
posted Hide Post
I think temping fate and voluntarily flying into a filthy, unsanitary and dangerous parts of the world, when things are safe and normal vs when conditions are bordering a pandemic is beyond a bad choice

"Filthy, unsanitary...etc"

Please.. If you cannot get beyond your North American prejudices about foreign cultures.. that is OK.
But what does "filthy, unsanitary etc" have to do with a disease communicated by blood and saliva? Similar, but less communicable than HIV?
Shocking how otherwise broadminded men-of-the world who have "travelled the dark continent" lose all perspective.
Talk about unscientific superstition!
i would bet you a 1000 dollars this whole storm in a teacup will be ove by next summer. That is the nature of such outbreaks

Posts: 396 | Location: usa | Registered: 26 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by emron:

"Filthy, unsanitary...etc"

Please.. If you cannot get beyond your North American prejudices about foreign cultures.. tha is OK.
But what does "filthy, unsanitary etc" have to do with a disease communicated by blood and saliva? Similar, but less communicable than HIV?
Shocking how otherwise broadminded men-of-the world who have "travelled the dark continent" lose all perspective.
i would bet you a 1000 dollars this whole storm in a teacup will be ove by next summer. That is the nature of such outbreaks

Please, by all means go there, immerse yourself.

I am a bit surprised at the cavalier attitude of some. This disease is capable of killing into the millions.

Emron, you don't think the two Doctors who are fighting for their lives took precautions? More precautions than you would on a safari?

If you think filthy and unsanitary conditions don't help the spread of such diseases, that is of course your prerogative.

If your telling me some of these places in Africa are not unsanitary and filthy, we just see things differently.

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
i disagree. it is going to get a lot worse before it gets better. having said that, it wouldn't bother me in the least to hunt Cameroon now or next year- barring major changes in the overall situation. this whole post reminds me of the guy who asked a few years ago about hunting in Zim. he was worried that if he was following a tracker infected with HIV WHO GOT SCRATCHED WITH A THORN AND HE FOLLOWED AND GOT SCRATCHED WITH THE SAME THORN, WOULD HE GET AIDS? my advice then was that if your risk tolerance was that low- stay home. i have never been struck by lightening but i have been out in a lot of thunderstorms.if you want to be totally safe, stay home in your storm cellar. i simply refuse to retreat to a storm cellar when a tornado occurs in Kansas. filthy conditions DO NOT transmit this disease. infected people do....the doctors who got it weren't tourists. they were treating sick people...

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Like many of you I do not worry too much about my personal safety when planning adventures. First time I went to Zim RSA bombed some terrorist training camps and the MSM at home made it sound like I was hunting in a war zone, but it was no big deal really.

To me the issue is where is this current mess heading. A lot can change in a year. Two months from now it could be under control or other countries may be unfortunate enough to have positive Ebola cases and travel advisories or regional quarantines could be in place that didn't exist when you booked.

What happens to hunt deposits and such if the unthinkable happens and it spreads? Some would say you should have considered this and too bad, shit happens. I would wait for at least 6 months and see what happens.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1810 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
i disagree. it is going to get a lot worse before it gets better. having said that, it wouldn't bother me in the least to hunt Cameroon now or next year- barring major changes in the overall situation. this whole post reminds me of the guy who asked a few years ago about hunting in Zim. he was worried that if he was following a tracker infected with HIV WHO GOT SCRATCHED WITH A THORN AND HE FOLLOWED AND GOT SCRATCHED WITH THE SAME THORN, WOULD HE GET AIDS? my advice then was that if your risk tolerance was that low- stay home. i have never been struck by lightening but i have been out in a lot of thunderstorms.if you want to be totally safe, stay home in your storm cellar. i simply refuse to retreat to a storm cellar when a tornado occurs in Kansas.

Jerry,
I really think you guys are missing my point. Why not just go hunt in East Africa till this outbreak is history? It seems senseless to take a chance when Africa is a big damn place.

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
not to many LDE or savannah buffalo in east Africa.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reddy375:
One can say I have a vested interest in saying everything is fine, because I sell hunts in West Africa. But firstly there are no reports of Ebola in Cameroon it is FAR away from where the outbreak is. And from everything I have read, unless you plan on hanging out in centers where they are treating Ebola patients, or eating fruit bats and stuff like that, you have a far better chance of getting trampled by an ele or buff or bitten by a snake!

Arjun Reddy

archer

Yes, I agree with that Arjun.

I'd still go.

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reddy375:

Arjun Reddy

+1 tu2 when i was in Cameroon 5 months ago, we spent 1 1/2 days at a large Lutheran mission hospital in the north of the country. THIS is where you worry about communicable disease, not in an airport or bush camp. and FYI, although the US media has only jumped on this band wagon recently, the BBC has reporting on the developing crisis for at least 6 months..... listen to CBS, ABC, NBC, ETC and you get the impression this is breaking news. ABSOLUTELY NOT TRUE!!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jerry you should make it difficult for us to rage on when you confuse us with so much science and facts, give us a break!

Jim

Posts: 383 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada | Registered: 25 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Jim, i don't worry about tornadoes in Kansas or hurricanes in Florida. facts are facts, no matter what your opinions are.....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting how people evaluate risk.

One of Us
Picture of J.R.Jackson
posted Hide Post
Plants, arthropods, and birds have been considered as possible reservoirs for Ebola; however, bats are considered the most likely candidate. Bats drop partially eaten fruits and pulp, then terrestrial mammals such as gorillas, chimpanzee, and duikers feed on these fallen fruits. This chain of events forms a possible indirect means of transmission from the natural host to animal populations, which have led to research towards viral shedding in the saliva of bats. Fruit production, animal behavior, and other factors vary at different times and places that may trigger outbreaks among animal populations. Transmission between natural reservoirs and humans are rare, and outbreaks are usually traceable to a single index case where an individual has handled the carcass of gorilla, chimpanzee, or duiker. Fruit bats are also eaten by people in parts of West Africa where they are smoked, grilled or made into a spicy soup. The virus then spreads person-to-person, especially within families, hospitals, and during some mortuary rituals where contact among individuals becomes more likely.

Ebola Outbreaks

1976 Sudan
1976–1977 Democratic Republic of the Congo
1979 Sudan
1994 Côte d'Ivoire
1994–1995 Gabon
1995 Democratic Republic of the Congo
1996 Gabon
1996–1997 Gabon, Congo
2000–2001 Uganda
2001–2004 Gabon, Congo
2004 Sudan
2005 Congo
2007 Democratic Republic of the Congo
2007–2008 Uganda
2008–2009 Democratic Republic of the Congo
2011–2012 Uganda
2012 Democratic Republic of the Congo
2014 Guinea, Sierra Leone, Liberia, Nigeria

Posts: 570 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 12 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
This thread reminds me of when there was that mall shooting in Nairobi and I had family calling to see if I was OK.....even though I live in Egypt. They are both in Africa right? Must be close in proximity, right? I also get people worried when something happens in Gaza even though that is about a four hour drive.

In short, yes I would hunt Cameroon tomorrow.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess my attempt at humor was missed.
Jim

Posts: 383 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada | Registered: 25 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd love to shoot a giant forest hog but I won't travel that far nor spend the $$ to hunt/sleep in high humidity-heat. For me that would be sheer torture. I can handle Florida hunts for gators & hogs b/c ice-cold Air-conditioning awaits, as well as a nice cleansing shower. I refuse to sleep in my own shtink!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info. I have a chance to go with a ph friend of mine from SA. He will be hunting to and knows the drill. I am pretty sure SA flies there from Joe-burg now. Unless I see it is in Cam. Think I will give it a whirle. Don't know if I would get the chance again.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote