New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cartridge Headstamp
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My one and only hunting rifle is a .375 AI. If I ever get to hunt Africa, will the .375 H&H Headstamp on the ammo be an issue? The rifle is engraved.....375 Holland & Holland Magnum Ackley Improved. I truly pray, that this will not be a problem! Thanks in advance for any and all help! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

Posts: 245 | Location: Winchester,Wyoming USA | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have been going to Africa since 1982, and have never, ever, seen anyone look at the head stamp!

Except my first few safaris, rest have always been with wildcats I have designed and built myself.

Never had any problems.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66765 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
We all have different experiences. I have had headstamps checked and cartridge counted in Australia and half-dozen Africa trips. You never know and it's a crap shoot. Having brass made to your headstamp is expensive. Rather, I would stamp .375 H&H on part of the rifle that is little seen. (Kind of like the fella who hunts turkey with an 8 gauge but the cases are stamped 10 gauge).
That is the simplest and easiest way around this problem that MAY happen.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had my headstamps checked in Zambia.

Posts: 2581 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve had my ammo checked in Namibia a couple of years ago as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The bottom line is, you never know; if your ammo is checked, it will usually be calibre and not necessarily down to any discrepancies on the headstamp. But you still never know.

What some folks do here, when they licence their firearms, is just leave off the "H&H" or "Lott", so the rifle is licensed as simply a .375 or a .458 and no one is any the wiser. That might work on your paperwork as well?

Posts: 408 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 01 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all that responded! Though, with the mixed comments, now I’m really concerned! Though, I kinda like the idea of just stating caliber! Absolutely the truth, just a slight absence of all facts! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

Posts: 245 | Location: Winchester,Wyoming USA | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I had my Head Stamps checked in Harare three years ago. They were reloads(450/400). They were in a factory 450/400 box and I had all the reload information on the outside of the box and it passed.

Posts: 2320 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
memtb,

My policy and one I share with clients is that "It will probably be fine" is not good enough. Going on safari can have a number of twists and turns in the process of getting there. Some things you can control and some not. The head stamp thing you can control. I've hunted in 8 different African countries and whether they count and check head stamps on the ammo or not is a crap shoot. ideally I'd recommend getting your caliber engraved again but saying 375 H&H. It might be less expensive than custom brass.

Having said the above I can tell you that if your safari operator is well connected with the police sometimes an exception can be made. It's worth asking about.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12842 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My headstamps and ammo count were done on both my trips through Harare; coming but not leaving

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
The true caliber and the headstamp are close enough that I wouldn’t worry about it in the least.

You can always tell enquiring minds that the headstamp is just an abbreviation because the full name wouldn’t fit! Big Grin

By the way, no one has checked my ammo in over 20 years of international hunting. I like to flatter myself by thinking that, at first glance anyway, I don’t look stupid enough to pack the wrong ammo for my rifles!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13329 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a photo of the ingraving on my rifle. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to temporarily disguise or hide the “Ackley Improved” portion of the ingraving? Welcoming options! I really would like to use “my” rifle! Thanks, memtb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by memtb:
Here is a photo of the ingraving on my rifle. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to temporarily disguise or hide the “Ackley Improved” portion of the ingraving? Welcoming options! I really would like to use “my” rifle! Thanks, memtb

I'd tell them the ".375 Holland and Holland" was the caliber, and Willhelmina Ackley improved my trigger.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9405 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
With 9 trips to Africa and 1 to Australia I have never have them check quantity or headstamp. Only once in South Africa, they weighed my ammo and I was WAY over. I paid the FEE($20) and was on my way.

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1427 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cannot imagine that the second line on your rifle (Ackley Improved) would need to be on the headstamp of your cartridge.

Effacing the two words on your rifle is too desperate and not, in my view, necessary.

Regards

Posts: 1318 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Man, you are good to go.

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On my 3rd hunt in Zim, it took some effort to clear Harare’s airport because my rifle, an old Parker Hale, is marked “375 MAG” along side the serial number, but I was carrying “375 H&H” ammunition.

No amount of talking was going to convince the official my rifle was in fact chambered for the ammo I was carrying...until our pilot intervened and got me through customs, to our waiting charter flight.

Posts: 160 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The way that's stamped, I agree. It's a .375 H&H and you should have not problem. I've been checked on ammo.. One time in Dar, the officer asked me to load my rifle in the airport to prove the ammunition fit (rather than checking the headstamps). I was sure it was a trap, but my PH was traveling with me (in-country commercial flight) and he said it was ok. And I didn't go to jail.

Posts: 9954 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:

Just tell them the second line is the company that built the rifle.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2787 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I’m telling you: Just say it wouldn’t fit. But don’t show them this:

Name Too Long

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13329 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I would have the following business card made up and leave it in the gun case

Ackley Improved Gunsmithing

Richard Edward
Master Gunsmith
Klewless, Missouri

Big Grin dancing Big Grin

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10043 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I agree. Ackley Improved was the Builder of the barrel?

Posts: 2320 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cougarz, Mike and slider, I like the way you think!

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Seriously, after all wasn't Ackley a gunsmith? It's certainly verifiable. So how would anyone know his shop didn't build the rifle.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2787 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
You have nothing to worry about. Can't imagine any of the airport personnel even looking at the second line besides for 90% English is their second (or third or?) language.
We were checked in Dar with Mrs Blacktailer's 308 but they were only counting the rounds and the empties and hardly looked at the rifles. Never asked about my 375 which was lucky since I had given all of my ammo to our PH.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surefire7:
I have had my headstamps checked in Zambia.

I've never had the head stamp checked in Africa, but I was asked. by a customs agent in Zambia why I was taking my empty brass back home with me. I told him so I could re-load the brass when I got home in Texas. His next question was how do you do that? Roll Eyes

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
My wife took a T/C 375JDJ carbine to Botswana. 375JDJ is a wildcat based on a 444 Marlin necked down to 375. We knew beforehand that they do count cartridges and check headstamps in Botswana. For this to work I had to have properly headstamped brass. Hornady had made a limited run of brass at one time and a friend of mine had a stash that he gave me.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote