Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9360 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Farmed tigers!

Millions of farmed cattle, pigs, sheep is ok.

But farmed tigers are??

Bloody hell.

The stupidly of modern society defies comprehension!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66901 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The good news is that there are 1,500 tigers more in the world that we did not know about.

Posts: 190 | Location: rockdale, texas | Registered: 01 October 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
Why tigers aren’t farmed in China is a mystery to me - probably are.
Hell, there are more captive tigers in the US than there are in the wild!
Not all that difficult to breed it seems.
IMO, any animal is “game” for captive breeding if there is a market that can alleviate pressure on the wild populations.
Look at Sturgeon farming for caviar production. I bet most rich caviar consumers have no idea that the vast majority of caviar producing fish are killed to harvest the eggs. Sort of ironic that increased demand has made farming viable and has helped native wild fish at the same time.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
And the brainless idiots don't want to think if they did not farm tigers, there will be a lot less of them!

Posts: 66901 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While I wouldn’t call it hunting, it is exotic ranching, and I don’t get the uproar about this (or captive lion) being utilized.

As far as biodiversity, how does it hurt to have more of the animals around?

I can see why if the animal is very expensive why there could be concerns with wild diversion to commerce, but frankly, a farmed option must reduce the price available to those illicit traffickers.

Typical do-gooder agitation and stupidity.

Posts: 10554 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:

As far as biodiversity, how does it hurt to have more of the animals around?

I doubt exotic ranchers have quality biodiversity in mind in the slightest amount. I don't care if people breed them for fair hunts, we breed other things to be hunted, but the breeders are not after biodiversity.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe not “quality biodiversity” but if the genetics get too bad the losses in breeding start hurting business.

I don’t know a single farmer who isn’t for keeping his bloodlines good in his animals.

Now, that “tabby” tiger is not what I’d like to see, but it’s what sells.

Think on it- you can have a population of 10k tigers on ranches with interbreeding to help bloodlines, or you can have a couple hundred wild tigers where breeding is random and uncontrolled.

Yes, it’s extra work, but generally folks who raise exotics are interested in the species, and while they want to keep their investment making money, they also care about the species- talk to some guys with Bongo or Scimitar horned oryx…. They want money, but do maintain their herd.

The only real argument re breeding I’ve heard is that it’s rather hard to reacclimate predators to the wild, and you don’t hear about releases of captive animals like tigers or pandas back to the wild, so there is no exercise of the captive population helping the wild population maintain diversity- but I’d assume is could be done if needed.

Total biomass of a species is important for avoiding extinction.

Posts: 10554 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I kind of see it as dumb at both ends.
For these reasons-

There is no logic too the outrage, or understanding and its just part of the urban anti hunting vegan animal rights shit thats is going on. dumbness.

With that said we know its going on, and this guy obviously knows what hes doing is, under that context, hurting public perception of hunters.
So also dumb.

Posts: 4229 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shankspony:
I kind of see it as dumb at both ends.
For these reasons-

There is no logic too the outrage, or understanding and its just part of the urban anti hunting vegan animal rights shit thats is going on. dumbness.

With that said we know its going on, and this guy obviously knows what hes doing is, under that context, hurting public perception of hunters.
So also dumb.

+1

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36477 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
Its amazing the number of people that think tigers are found naturally in Africa.

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BAWANA, I understand your concern. Apparently they have hunted the last elephants out of the Amazon jungle too.

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana1:
Its amazing the number of people that think tigers are found naturally in Africa.

The mazing thing is some of our own people are against farming animals to hunt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ungulates are farmed and farmed to hunt. Not for me, but I've got no visceral objection to it. I have a different reactions to cats, however.
Hunting them in a compound just reduces it to a shoot. I like hunting cats, but it's a whole lot of work. Shooting farmed cats is an insult to the cat and to anyone who has hunted them fairly.

Now I might not object so strenuously if it was one on one with a spear and no back up. As long as the video was on YouTube and I was able to bet on the result.

Posts: 9989 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kind of like the cage match that it would be ;-)

Posts: 9989 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
Ungulates are farmed and farmed to hunt. Not for me, but I've got no visceral objection to it. I have a different reactions to cats, however.
Hunting them in a compound just reduces it to a shoot. I like hunting cats, but it's a whole lot of work. Shooting farmed cats is an insult to the cat and to anyone who has hunted them fairly.

Now I might not object so strenuously if it was one on one with a spear and no back up. As long as the video was on YouTube and I was able to bet on the result.

There others who like to shoot them.

You are beginning to sound like the anti meat eaters.

Just because YOU don't want it, you want to stop others doing it.

Very sad indeed!

It does not matter, the benefits of breeding them far out weighs the objections of shooting them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are lots and lots of ways of looking at this story.

1) Is shooting game on game farm / ranch really any different from shooting truly wild - of course it is, but increasingly truly wild is getting less and less. If we want to rewild areas - and on the whole, marginal agricultural areas are probably much more productive if they go back a "managed rewilded" with the the crops being meat, timber and other natural products, and if hunters are prepared to pay good money to shoot animals or birds that are surplus to requirements, then that makes that whole enterprise viable.

2) Many animals and bird species are very vulnerable to extinction in their native environment, yet there are other similar habitats elsewhere in the world with much less political / human pressure which could support a population of large animals for a period of time until their natural environment can be restored etc.

So with the case of Tigers, Lions, Jaguars, Rhino, etc etc translocating populations to say Southern Africa, US, Europe, Australia makes kind of sense. Take Australia, the Northern Terratories have a thriving population of Water Buffalo and Banteng. Tigers were indigenous in the southern islands of Indonesia until very very recently, so building a population of Sumatran Tigers in Aus, that can basically be wild and thrive on their natural prey of Water Buffalo and Banteng could both build up a reserve of Tigers and keep introduced large wild bovids under control.

3) Is there any real ethical difference between shooting released phaeasants and ducks, and big game that has been introduced and possibly still within a large fenced area. For that matter, farming animals for meat or fur take this argument to the extreme.

Posts: 981 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

I'll just ask the question, Do you support raising the big cats to be hunted in fences? We can agree or disagree, that doesn't matter, but I don't like it.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
Saeed,

I'll just ask the question, Do you support raising the big cats to be hunted in fences? We can agree or disagree, that doesn't matter, but I don't like it.

I really do not care where anyone wants to shoot them.

My main concern is that they are more of them.

I think we are loosing track of what is actually hunting and what is shooting.

And that also depends who you are talking to.

I am sure you have hunted enough to know what I mean.

Bottom line is do whatever you enjoy, and if that helps to preserve animals I am all for it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
^ So I'll interject a different animal into this discussion, for perspective.

Forgive me if I get the name wrong: Scimitar Horned Oryx.

Way back like 1920(?) an American decided to get some to take to a game farm in Texas, for breeding and possibly hunting.
Which he did.

In the years after that, guess what? They became extinct in their native African habitat.

So guess where the opportunity exists to attempt to re-establish them in the wild?

From that zoo/game farm.

But I don't know the current status of the effort to re-introduce them to the wild.

And again I apologize if I have the name wrong.

Jim

Posts: 828 | Location: Whitecourt, Alberta | Registered: 10 July 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Arabian Oryx were almost extinct.

They bred some around here, now they are roaming our desert.

They have to be fed and watered in very large preserves.

In certain areas they hunt them.

We have al area for cyclists.

It is over a 100 miles of tracks.

That goes through some of the areas the Oryx are.

It is so wonderful to see them by the road side as you pass buy.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
There are over one billion - that’s right - ONE BILLION - more people in India now than there were in 1948, when India gained independence.

Population growth and resultant habitat destruction doomed the wild Indian tiger.

I would not shoot one these days under any circumstances.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13373 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 500nitro
posted Hide Post
Adrian de Guisti? hmnnn, this is the same character that sold bogus elephant hunts to myself and some clients. A search on the internet should reveal some interesting things. BTW he still has not paid me back a single farthing despite his undertaking to do so.

Harris Safaris
PO Box 853
Gillitts
RSA 3603

www.southernafricansafaris.co.za
https://www.facebook.com/pages...=aymt_homepage_panel

"There is something about safari life that makes you forget all your sorrows and feel as if you had drunk half a bottle of champagne." - Karen Blixen,

Posts: 1069 | Location: Durban,KZN, South Africa | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
THE Poor client booking this hunt will be in for a rough ride....

Phillip du Plessis
www.intrepidsafaris.com
info@intrepidsafaris.co.za
+27 83 633 5197
US cell 817 793 5168

Posts: 402 | Location: Alldays, South Africa | Registered: 05 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heym SR20:

1) Is shooting game on game farm / ranch really any different from shooting truly wild - of course it is, but increasingly truly wild is getting less and less. If we want to rewild areas - and on the whole, marginal agricultural areas are probably much more productive if they go back a "managed rewilded" with the the crops being meat, timber and other natural products, and if hunters are prepared to pay good money to shoot animals or birds that are surplus to requirements, then that makes that whole enterprise viable.

2) Many animals and bird species are very vulnerable to extinction in their native environment, yet there are other similar habitats elsewhere in the world with much less political / human pressure which could support a population of large animals for a period of time until their natural environment can be restored etc.

So with the case of Tigers, Lions, Jaguars, Rhino, etc etc translocating populations to say Southern Africa, US, Europe, Australia makes kind of sense. Take Australia, the Northern Terratories have a thriving population of Water Buffalo and Banteng. Tigers were indigenous in the southern islands of Indonesia until very very recently, so building a population of Sumatran Tigers in Aus, that can basically be wild and thrive on their natural prey of Water Buffalo and Banteng could both build up a reserve of Tigers and keep introduced large wild bovids under control.

3) Is there any real ethical difference between shooting released phaeasants and ducks, and big game that has been introduced and possibly still within a large fenced area. For that matter, farming animals for meat or fur take this argument to the extreme.

Absolutely no chance that tigers would be introduced to Australia. We haven’t had very positive experiences with introduced game here.Rabbits and foxes have caused huge problems. Deer are unpopular with our environmental agencies. OK for we hunters but lots of problems for farmers, our native animals and vegetation. We have a predominantly city based, anti hunting population too.

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bushchook:
quote:
Originally posted by Heym SR20:

Absolutely no chance that tigers would be introduced to Australia. We haven’t had very positive experiences with introduced game here.Rabbits and foxes have caused huge problems. Deer are unpopular with our environmental agencies. OK for we hunters but lots of problems for farmers, our native animals and vegetation. We have a predominantly city based, anti hunting population too.

Sadly, your part of the world seems to be run by idiots!