THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MODERN MILITARY RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Modern Military Rifles    What do we know about the U.S. military's new 6.8 round?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do we know about the U.S. military's new 6.8 round?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've heard that it's polymar cased, light and packs a wallop on the receiving end.

What else do we know?

Posts: 1442 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's what they claimed about the 5.56 when it first came out. Bullet was supposed to tumble on impact and cause massive tissue damage. Big Grin

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 820 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post

Posts: 628 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
It sounds like all around that will have good performance capabilities. I have always been a fan of the 6.5 bullets although for years that metric never caught on in this country. The only objection that I can see is the age-old one of giving the troops too many various calibers. I need not elaborate.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 15277 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
It sounds like all around that will have good performance capabilities. I have always been a fan of the 6.5 bullets although for years that metric never caught on in this country. The only objection that I can see is the age-old one of giving the troops too many various calibers. I need not elaborate.

The 6.8 is a .270, not a .264, just for clarification purposes.

When a politician uses the words "common sense ", you'd better keep one hand on your wallet and the other on your firearms.

Posts: 478 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
We know that all that is still in the experimental stage, and likely will not come to fruition. Many careless cartridges have been developed; where are they now? My prediction; we will have particle beam weapons before we have a caseless cartridge.
OTOH, we have one for the M256 tank cannon.......

Posts: 14070 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hogfarmer:
quote:

What would be better then the 6.8 would be a 6.5 on a 6.8 case!!! Some form of 6.5 cartridge has been used at one time or another by major militaries around the world. They were of course on more full size cartridges that wouldn't fit the M16 platform.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vzerone:
quote:
Originally posted by hogfarmer:
quote:

What would be better then the 6.8 would be a 6.5 on a 6.8 case!!! Some form of 6.5 cartridge has been used at one time or another by major militaries around the world. They were of course on more full size cartridges that wouldn't fit the M16 platform.

Not going to get into the quagmire that is the discussion of the merits of various calibers. I have seen incredible vitriol espoused over literally less thickness than that of a human hair.

I own rifles from .22 to .45 caliber and each has its own strengths and weakness. Everything is a compromise.

When a politician uses the words "common sense ", you'd better keep one hand on your wallet and the other on your firearms.

Posts: 478 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It might be just another round-robin affair. After years of "improvments," the troops in the know have gone back to the 1911 platform for the sidearm of choice + performance.

Posts: 15277 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Not sure how a regular soldier armed with a 9mm would be able to get ahold of a .45. Privately owned weapons are not allowed on deployment. Special troops can get anything they think they need.
Actually the Army has stayed with the 9mm and is now buying and fielding the Sig Sauer M17.
I have one, and it handles and shoots very well. Even though it is plastic, I like it better than the Beretta. And although I carried M1911s throughout my career, (later Berettas), the 9mm is a better weapon for that use. That is after seeing many hundreds of soldiers qualify with both weapons. They hit better with the 9mm, and a hit with that is worth 100 misses with a .45. Most soldiers do not have the time to learn how to shoot a pistol like AR members do.

Posts: 14070 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As the old adage says "Practice Makes Perfect". But as we all know that the police just like the military is not providing funds for extracurricular training knowledge of their carry pieces. Mores the pity for all. You are right of course that a 9mm is easier to shoot than a 45ACP. especially women troops (not sexism; reality). True it seems that the 1911 platform is deemed for Spec. Ops. That in itself should say something. I have a range on my property + thus as human nature doles out, I never shoot as much as I should/could. But I am still a student of the Col. in my appreciation of the 45 ACP round. That being said since I did value his opinion so much; when he expounded on the CZ 75 I took heed. It is a great piece. I have never known it to fail. Although I keep 1911 as a carry piece I keep the CZ in the nightstand. As always, your piece is only as good as you are able to use it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually from the military's point of view that 6.8 bullet is better because of the 6.5's ability for the bullet to go to sleep so well thus penetrating the enemy's body without much damage whereas the 6.8 not being as stable tumbles in the body.

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
We must remember that somewhere there is a Major and a small crew on a two-year assignment to do a lot of testing on this caliber/rifle/pistol (along with a bunch of GS-16+ that load magazines). He really wants to make Colonel so he becomes a champion of his project and will say all manner of good things about his darling. And then there is another Major doing the same thing jockeying for position. And they are all schmoozing with the suppliers/contractors in hopes to get a good job after their military careers end.

Very, very few are going to say ' this sucks '

Posts: 3120 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Wow. I wonder where this platform is in the testing phase almost two years after the announcement.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 14202 | Location: Alamogordo, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote