New
Find
Notify
Tools

First AR
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just got my first AR It's a DPMS Sweet 16. I have never owned one nor been around them much. Pretty much been a bolt action and single shot guy. I don't know how to clean it, dissasemble it, reassemble it, well you get the picture. I'm reading the instructions and getting a scope and rings out of the closet to mount. I'll let you know how my first attemp at taking care of an AR goes. It seems pretty straight forward, just different. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would recommend the following, and I have used an AR type rifle as a work gun for over 23 years...

Use BreakFree as your lube.
Be sure to lube the gas rings and the tail of the bolt head.
Also lube the recoil spring, and everything else that "moves".

Every law abiding American Citizen should have a good AR and a Good M1 Garand. tu2

Yes I said EVERY... That means your New Born Baby... Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
Breakfree is good stuff as a lube and synthetic motor oil is also fantastic.

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys, I worked with a retired Marine Scout Sniper. He told me I was a communist for not owning a .45. So I see your point about an AR but I would prefer the M1A to the Garand if that's ok. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
If you go to the forums at ar15.com there are a lot of stickies about maintenance and care of the AR. Its the best AR site on the web.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:

Every law abiding American Citizen should have a good AR and a Good M1 Garand.

Why is that? Neither are legal to hunt with in my state.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:
quote:

I don't think it was a reference to hunting....

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do a Google search for M-16 comic book, it will teach you a bunch. Breakfree is good but LSA is better IMO.

Yackman

Posts: 582 | Location: Searcy,AR | Registered: 23 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

What? Do you live in some Commie country? OOPS! Forgot! We are a Commie country now!

One thing I am learning with my ARs is to collapse the stock so my nose touches the charging handle. The very short LOP makes it easier to hold the rifle steady.

Suwannee Tim

Posts: 140 | Location: Way down upon the Suwannee River. | Registered: 02 March 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The reason why I recommended the M1 Garand is that they are very reasonably priced, and ammo is also from the CMP.
I should have stated that in my other post.

The M1-A is a great rifle too. tu2

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The technique of having your nose make contact with the charging handle is practiced by AR15 shooters in order to maintain a consistant "cheek weld" on the stock plus it provides a more accurate sight picture when using issue "iron" sights. If your head/eye is back a few inches from the rear sight, likelyhood of looking at the rear sight rather than through the hole is increased. Some place a small piece of soft velcro on the edge of the charging handle to insure same spot placement of the nose. Would not suggest doing this on most other rifles!

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1Fun,

that is God's way of suggesting you move...

Besides, for most of the owners, state game laws will be a very low priority concern.

Rich
Idaho and loving it!

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have 5 AR's and want a few more; with all the new calibers. We actually hunt with them more than any other guns. I want an LWRC in 6.8 now.

I've picked up a couple AR-15 dvds, never regretted buying any of them either. I just ordered the (I think it's new) Larry Potterfield AR dvd from midway that you'll find in the new catalog near the front How can you not like what Larry has to say?

My nephew just sent me some picts from afghanistan. M4 between his legs dangling out of a blackhawk. He'll be shooting caribou with me come summer and we'll just see how good he is with the AR's. He knows way more about all the accessories and eotecs, acogs, and lazerlites than I do; can't wait to hear the skinny on technology.

Enjoy the new AR.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
1Fun,

Besides, for most of the owners, state game laws will be a very low priority concern.

Rich
Idaho and loving it!

That still didn't answer my question as to why "Every law abiding American Citizen should have a good AR and a Good M1 Garand."

Why Rich, why??? So I can play 'accessorize' like a woman? No thanks. I got my fill of that as a kid with my Erector Set. And since I'm not paranoid enough to think I need semi-auto battle rifles to protect myself from hordes of jack-booted thugs from the government coming to get me, my other repeating rifles should suffice. If not, I'm not afraid to die. Never have been.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Onefunz, You have no idea how enslaved, overtaxed, completely denutted you are in Pennsylvania. We came to Ak from Pa over 20 years back; believe me you have no idea how much you have accepted as normal society that is not over many parts of America. It goes through the entire gambit too from regulations, enforcement, and federal mandates that are not followed say here in Ak, but are followed to the hilt of the law in Pa, no joke; it's obscene and you can't even see how outta whack it is anymore, no joke.

If they tried placing a restriction on what guns could be used for hunting here, it would be ignored anyway. They can't even get people to follow the hunting seasons here in rural areas, ha ha.

I've hunted with ARs off snowmachine for years, luv them. I hardly ever drag the mini-14's. weatherbys, or a-bolts out of the vault nowadays. The Ar's are my go to guns.

One of our locals here in Eagle (on the yukon) is back in bradford visiting relatives the month of March. He always buys trks & super cubs and flys, drives them back to Alaska. He called and said he didn't know how long he could take it, has seen more state cops last few days in Pa than he has seen in Alaska last 10 years. Collecting revenue he claimed. I told him to bring me a case of Iron city or genesee back with him; about only thing I need from Pa I guess.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As to an answer regarding ownership of the AR15's/ M1 Garands, basic reason for any gun ownership is generally ones ability to shoot them and become skilled in their use. The AR15's are very easy to use with no nasty recoil to pound you and yet accuracy is quite good at ranges from 100-600yds with issue sights. With the cost of ammo and reloading supplies on the rise the 223 still offers lots of shooting without super high costs invovled.

The M1 Garand is a piece of history in firearms and it is available to most. It does have recoil and not cheap to shoot compared to the 15, but with practice can deliver very high levels of accuracy even out to 1000yds and many folks enjoy shooting them. Very dependable rifle in all respects.

If one does not like either one, that is their choice, no biggy one way or the other, but I would point out that of the two, the M1 is the "battle rifle" and not the AR15. Both are very enjoyable to shoot and develop skills in shooting and for most who own/shoot these two rifles are in no way contemplating their use in defending against a tyrannical government. We "is" the government, but due to your state not permitting their use in hunting is evidence that some of "your" government has been taken away from you. Bottom line is that you have no choice in Pa. regarding either rifle it would appear. That's a shame.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got the rifle cleaned and lubed, don't have any break free yet but I am going to try it. I used 5W-30 Amsoil Extended Service or something like that. I mounted a 4-12 x 44 Simmons scope on it. If it holds up fine if not I have a Leupold 3-9 that would fit it just fine. I am going to try and shoot it in the morning weather permitting. I can't wait. Thanks all for the comments, good information etc. DW

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Curious why you can't hunt w/ an AR in PA.?
Is it the calibre?
Is it no semi auto?

If some folks in the "govt." don't want you to own one, that's is reason enough to own one!

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RVL III:
Is it no semi auto?

That's it. Roll Eyes

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Does somebody think semi auto shoots faster than a bolt?

Didn't know that you couldn't hunt with a semi-auto in PA. Can't hunt with a rifle in Ohio and half of Virginia.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alaska, no limits on semi's; no quit hunting times at dusk often 24 hr sun, no deputy game wardens at least where we call home, nobody wears any orange, but best of all; miles upon miles of open country, rivers, and forest and you never see any other hunters. Sure different than how it was in Pa years back.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You won't be able to use a rifle in PA sooner than you think. The shotgun only rules are coming.

Posts: 659 | Location: "The Muck", NJ | Registered: 10 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DWHEELS, I finally looked at AGI AR-15 Rifles dvd (tech manual & armorers course). A long detailed tear down, put back together and thoughts, pretty good & complete, well worth the 29 bucks from midway. Then they also did an armalite AR-10 as extra. Pick that one up and sit down for a few hours, you learn something about AR-15's; no joke.

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Not even with 3 round blocked mags or clips??

That's terrible-- Roll Eyes

Although--

In Texas years ago,

there were a few shotgun only counties-- Frowner

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dwheels,

Congrats on the AR,..but be careful of BRD "black rifle Disease" it is uncurable Wink

I highly recommend the book The AR-15 Complete Assemblu Guide vol 2 by Walt Kuleck. It has great info on tear down rebuild care lubing and the safety checks for proper funtion.

AS for shotgun only laws for safety I can only question why here in Southern WI we had mandatory shotgun and pistol only laws for "safety sake" for decades but when CWD broke here and the powers that be decided we needed to erraticate the whitetail from this part of the state, how NOW it is safe to use rifles to accomplish this Goal????? Roll Eyes

Posts: 131 | Location: Southern WI | Registered: 09 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
1Fun,

Rich
Idaho and loving it!

That still didn't answer my question as to why "Every law abiding American Citizen should have a good AR and a Good M1 Garand."

Why Rich, why??? So I can play 'accessorize' like a woman? No thanks. I got my fill of that as a kid with my Erector Set. And since I'm not paranoid enough to think I need semi-auto battle rifles to protect myself from hordes of jack-booted thugs from the government coming to get me, my other repeating rifles should suffice. If not, I'm not afraid to die. Never have been.

There may come a time where it is your duty as man and Citizen to shoot someone in the face. That person could be a foreign soldier, a corrupt official, or a home invader--whoever it is, the best weapon for that sort of work is the AR15/M16 family of weapons.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
N E, saw your quote about owning a good AR and a good Garand. got both. Love to shoot them, 'specially the Garand. She's a dream. My soon to be ex-wife bought her for me 17+ years ago for our first anny. for $325.00! Killed a nice 8 point buck w/ her amd a doe ruuning away from me at dusk at about 100yds. Of course w/ issue peep sights. What a gun!

The things you see when you don't have a gun.
NRA Endowment Life Member
Proud father of an active duty
Submariner... Go NAVY!

Posts: 436 | Location: Lynchburg, Home of Texas Independence | Registered: 28 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
onefunzr2

No offense,onefunzr2, but maybe you should move to a state that actually has freedom like Texas. Besides both the AR and Garand are excellent hunting rifles when used for the right hunting. AR for varmints and the Garand for pigs and deer sized critters. Don't get where your coming from. You don't like'em don't get 'em. But don't diss others who like them cause you don't. To each his own.

Submariner... Go NAVY!

Posts: 436 | Location: Lynchburg, Home of Texas Independence | Registered: 28 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Glad to see that I have met my obligations. My Springfield Armory Garand was acquired in the late 60s in NRA excellent condition for $89.

The Match M1A was abt $400 when I got it.

I can't remember what the first AR cost ... was cheap though.

Those were the days!

(Damn good thing the kids don't have to pay the current retail for those toys! Wink )

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OUCH! mstarling your just rubbing it in! LOL. I don't know about other M1 owners but when you throw that rifle up to fire it fits like an old tee-shirt, feels good everytime. jumping

Submariner... Go NAVY!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got to the range last weekend for a formal sight in and load evaluation. Can I say WOW!! what fun. My load is 26 grains of WC844 with a 52 grain match hollowpoint on top. Its a Hornady second and I have, had, 500 of them to go through. The load shoots consistently an inch with some groups getting down to 5/8". To give you and idea of how consisten it is, my 17 year old grandson shot a 30 shot group that was a measured 1 5/8 inches. Thats 30 shots through the same hole. He took it home to show his mom, and his other Grandpa. I am pleased to say the least. I love it and I am looking to buy one of DPMS's long rang AR10 styles in either 243 or 260. I am leaning toward the 260 as I already have a 243. Thanks for all your favorable comments and guys, take the everybody should own comment the way it was intended as good natured humor or ribbing. Thanks, DW