Picture of londonhunter
posted
Anybody got one

Shot one

experience with one

Posts: 1661 | Location: London | Registered: 14 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is actually very close to the 300 Whisper or 300/221 Fireball.

Has a longer throat and slightly looser chamber. Same reloading dies can be used.

Relationship may be a lot like the 6.8 SPC II to the 6.8 SPC. Higher supersonic velocities are achievable, and potentially slower powders can be used for subsonics.

I have a 300/221 and am still trying to get information on the relative accuracy of the two chamberings as the maker of my bbl will "update" it for free.

Making brass is interesting ... but doable. My 300/221 is quite accurate holding better than 1 MOA supersonic with 125 gr NBTs.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
I know I read all about it on their site

I have ordered a upper with this chamber

Anybody know Mr Jones personally ?

He has hung up on me on the telephone before so I

don't feel sorry for him at all......

One of Us
posted Hide Post
LH,

why not go with the Delta Company version? They are much nicer people, and offer once-fired military or commercial brass made up. And, they will do yours as well.

If you want to play with subsonic, they can put you in touch with NOE in Utah. They sell a 247gr GC bullet mould designed around the 300 BLK.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are interested in building a rifle, AR Performance (ARP) now has barrels and can I'm sure build an upper for you.

He has a great reputation. I have one of his barrels in 6.8 and it shoots very well.

Mr. Jones has a terrible reputation for poor customer interaction.

Mike

--------------

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually it and the 300 Whisper are the same thing. The chamber may different some in non critical areas. It all came about because of Jones stupid patent or trademark on the Whisper. Same thing that is happening to the 6.5 Grendel from Alexander Arms because of his trademark name. The 300 Blackout has been accepted by SAAMI and is going to be registered. The Whisper and the Grendel won't because neither the two owners will relinquish the trademarks.

Another place for barrels is Blackhole Weaponry

http://www.blackholeweaponry.com/catalog/

one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually, the chamber differs only by about only 0.004" in diameter ... but the throat of the .300 BLK is 0.090 longer!

That can drive the pressure of a .300 BLK round fired in a Whisper chamber up by something on the order of 4000 psig.

Not a good idea.

We decided to redo my chamber in stages. First we'll add the additional throat length and see how that affects accuracy and pressure. I may end up with a match chambered .300 BLK. Wink

Mike

--------------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
check with Aaron at www.DeltaCompanyArms.com.

They are building 300 BLK's now.

FYI: the difference between the whisper and the BLK is that you need to turn the case necks on the whisper. The BLK is based on the standard 223 shortened and necked up without the need to turn case necks.
He has a gentleman (Brad Luber) converting the brass for nine-cents a round. He just finished up 1200 +/- rounds for me.

The BLK is a great short range rifle with standard .308 bullets. Go subsonic, and enjoy the thump of a 240gr SMK.

Mine is going on a pistol receiver with an 11.5" barrel.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rich

The US export regulations makes life very difficulty for us extra terrestrials who live outside the states to get anything military looking THINGS

We are building our own barrels and have plenty of uppers available.

Hopefully things will improve one day

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is so much misinformation floating around here. Here are the facts from Advanced Armament themselves:

The main difference is in the throat, not the brass. 300 AAC BLACKOUT fired in a 300 Whisper chamber will have increased pressure, just as you would if you shot 5.56mm ammo in a 223 chamber.

Some 300 Whisper brass may be in spec for 300 AAC BLACKOUT.

The 300 AAC BLACKOUT brass cannot exceed 0.334 inch diameter in the neck when loaded. So whether or not you need to neck-turn it depends on if your brass would be larger than that when loaded. Since SAAMI legal 308 bullets can be up to 0.309 in diameter, then you should not use brass which has a neck wall thicker than 0.0125.

Dimensionally in-spec brass can be made from 221, 223, or 5.56mm cases.

Thanks,

John Hollister | Sales Manager
Advanced Armament Corp.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank You very much for clearing this up. Now, how about reprinting it on www.castboolits.co?
Aaron at Delta is building me one.

Rich old

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No need to Rich, they're the experts!!!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
true...

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just fired mine for the first time last week, its a fun little round. Hits harder than the 223,with a slower softer recoil. My cross hairs stayed with in a 1/2 foot of the target at a 100 yards when shot off hand useing the 5x scope. I had no trouble seeing bullet strikes with supersonic loads with 110-155 gr bullets.

All inital reloads were at or near 1 moa with 2 or 3 shots clumped together and 2 out a little. The upper and lower on this rifle is real loose. When it was a 223 with hornady v max it shot about the same, in the bolt gun the v max's shot through one hole. I am going to tighten up the upper and lower and see what happens.

My buddy has a bolt gun and can. It is real quite with supersonic loads, and with a subsonic load you hear the pin strike, and the round hit. It's hollywood quite.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

one of us
posted Hide Post
Got back my 300/221 from the maker who updated the throat to the longer one of the Blackout.

This time we left the chamber alone ... so we have a 300 Blackout Match.

Everyone is reporting that standard Whisper or 300/221 dies work fine with their slightly fuller Blackout chambers.

(No ... the whisper does not reguire neck turning at least with the LC brass I've made 500 cases from.)

With limited range time, there doesn't seem to be that much difference in things.

Mike

--------------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

imagine a 247gr cast bullet at 1050fps with a suppressor on it. The ME is over 950ft/lbs.
I shot a friends earlier today, and I could actually hear the buffer spring go "boing!".
He is doubling up on the silencer, the YHM Cobra 9mm works every bit as well with the cast sub loads in the 300.

Rich

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
FWIW, Remington bought AAC. I saw 30,000 rounds of Remington factory ammo the other day. Super and sub-sonic.

Remington rifles in 300BK will be out soon if not already. Midway is selling AAC headstamped brass $25/100.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tigger,

that is cool. Brad Lubek (Iraqi vet) is www.BradsWarehouse.con (iirc). I bought 1265 rounds of once fired for 3.5 cents per case, and Brad formed my 300 brass for eight cents a round, including shipping back to me. I am just waiting on the mould from NOE, and batfe to do my suppressor paperwork.

Rich

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich,

I have a 247 gr mold on order too. Actually is a 9mm take-apart can in process as well ... but will need a new mount, a 5/8x24 to 1/2x28 adapter, or a 3 lug mount for 5/8 x 24.

Might actually be able to hunt piggies with the thing in the fall at this rate.

Mike

--------------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MStarling,

great minds think alike! Check with Artful on cast boolets. He really likes the YHM Cobra for the 9mm. He tells me it is as effective on his 300 Whisper as his 9mm with subsonic. I am in the paperwork process with BATFE on one. It is a takedown, and uses a monolithic baffle stack. Unscrew the muzzle cap, shake it out, and throw it in the sonic cleaner every once in awhile. I like simple and effective. By ordering, I can specify the thread size.

Good to go...

Rich

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich,

Can is already ordered and paid for ... is an Octane-9 HD ... one of the highest performance cans in the new generation. Hope it will ship to the dealer this month.

Have two 9mm pistols with threaded barrels and a 16" AR 3 lug barrel waiting for it. Wink

Mike

--------------