New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ammo question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What do you gentlemen think of 7.62 NATO Republic of South African surplus amounted? Good stuff for range ammo in an M1A or complete junk to stay away from?

Friend has a bunch that I can get cheap.

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have heard good things about it.

Posts: 19313 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I've shot a ton of it through my M-1A and FAL. Good stuff, typical accuracy for surplus, 2-3".

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2247 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you kindly

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reliable, but not as accurate as my Portuguese surp. I get just under 3" in my HK91 (100 yds). You'll read opinions that it's "dirty" vs other stuff. I have not found that to be true.

SA is berdan primed, if that matters.

Posts: 670 | Location: Dover-Foxcroft, ME | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Samuel: it is my impression Bredan primers are corrosive. I appreciate the knowledgeable response. I do not care about accuracy. My idea was for a lot of cheap range ammo, but corrosive or overly dirty ammo is not on my menu.

Thank you everyone. Shot the M1a yesterday. Best first group I ever shot. Someone pm me and I will email picture for posting. The load was American Egale 168 M1a red box. The bullet is match kings.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Neither 5.56 nor 7.62 SA milsurp was viewed as corrosive at MG shoots. Oldest I encountered was 1980s. Shot both through our stuff with no special attention (H20/windex) afterwards.

Too, early (eg 2004 and 2005) lots of Russian steel case were boxer primed (eg. Wolf Black Box) but now about all recent stuff is berdan primed. All of it = non-corrosive.

Posts: 670 | Location: Dover-Foxcroft, ME | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you sir. We are going to shoot a bunch up this Saturday then.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shot a bunch of the South African 7.62 ball and was non corrosive. Same for the South African 303 British. Nice brass but shame it's berdan primed. Still mentally kicking myself for never getting the case of SA 303 MKVII that a dealer at one of our local gun shows had for sale. Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got the case this yesterday after shooting. Today or tomorrow I will post the markings. Thank you everyone.