THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MODERN MILITARY RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Modern Military Rifles    How Store AR Uppers Banging Together in My Gun Safe?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How Store AR Uppers Banging Together in My Gun Safe?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of holzauge
posted
I have now accumulated four uppers for my AR and I have trouble storing them in my gun safe.
They are much shorter that the bolt action rifles they've replaced so they tend to flop over and bang together when I move them. I was thinking about a solution when it occurred to me that many of you folks must have dealt with the issue years ago and could probably share your solutions. Thanks!
Oranje boven! Anyway...

Sei wach!

Posts: 621 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: 06 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are storing your rifles standing up-right with the muzzle up I would suggest a dowl rod down the bore for height. This should solve the problem.

Dutch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The uppers I have all fit on the shelf above where the long guns go.

Of course, you could just build the lowers, and then everything would fit!

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of holzauge
posted Hide Post
The uppers all have scopes so they're too long for the shelf but the dowel idea sounds interesting. Any other ideas?

Sei wach!

Posts: 621 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: 06 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
PVC pipe over the barrel to give extra length

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I keep a dozen uppers in a drawer under my reloading benchtop. Use a thin blanket as separator to keep them from banging each other (pun intended). I keep small parts like BCGs, mags, springs, buffers, LPKs, etc in ammo cans. The receivers live in the handgun section of the safe above the long guns.

Sam

Posts: 670 | Location: Dover-Foxcroft, ME | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I think the OP means complete uppers

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I look at uppers as just parts - like mags. Getting them out of the safe makes room for more firearms.

If they need to be in the safe, I like your idea in terms of providing elevation, Ted. My uppers have standard FSBases, so would need a fairly large diameter pipe....taking up more room.

Sam

Posts: 670 | Location: Dover-Foxcroft, ME | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
buy 3 more lowers Big Grin Whistling

Posts: 13440 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
buy 3 more lowers Big Grin Whistling

Problem solved Cool

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Send 'em to me. I will fondle them and use them at least monthly. TIA Packrattusnongratus.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
if they have scopes and you want muzzle up then you need the dowels into the back of the carrier.

You could put them in gunsocks with tags and store them in a tupperware box

Posts: 6380 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I put gun socks over them.

Posts: 17094 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of citori
posted Hide Post
I use the dowels on all my short rifles. Cheap and effective.

Tanzania in 2006! Had 141 posts on prior forum as citori3.

Posts: 266 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dowels work really well. You can buy them the same OD as the ID on the flash suppressor and get about three out of a four-footer that way.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote