New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colt HBAR Question
 Login/Join

posted
Hello folks,
I am new to the site but have really enjoyed it so far.
I have a question regarding my Colt Match Target Competition HBAR, 1997 build at the factory. It has a BSA TMD624x44-30sp scope mounted on it and still has the factory trigger assembly. (not for long).
I have been trying to work up a good load for it prior to doing a bulk loading of roughly 4,000 rounds. The rifle currently has put out 4,000 rounds.
To establish a baseline of accuracy I tested a number of factory loads from good manufacturers.
most resulted in 1.500" groups at 100 yards. The American Eagle shot the best with a 1.250" group.
Next I tried a number of handholds using 69 gr. Sierra Match Kings and RL15 powder. The Sierras were designed for 1:9 twist which is what I have.
The results were slightly better with a few loads giving me 1.000-.950" groups. I am not impressed!
What do you think, bad load or bad barrel?

Posts: 8 | Location: swwor319585@aol.com | Registered: 06 October 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As noted your rifle is "match/target" version and very capable for that purpose. If it is giving 1moa accuracy that is more than adequate to win matches since the X ring is usually considered 1moa in diameter/target and 10 ring even larger.
It will not come close to a bench rifle which is an entirely different level of shooting from a bench, not sling nor off hand. RE15 is a good powder for the round so can't fault that piece of the puzzle. You may well be able to improve on what you are getting accuracy wise with different loads but would not expect more than some 10% improvement. For me would not be worth the effort for you have a fine rifle. Just a suggestion.

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
+1 - especially if the bore is chromed

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the input gentlemen,
I will replace the trigger assembly soon, leaning towards the Timney 3# product. My DCM match days are over but I really enjoy seeing what good case prep and precision loads can do from the bench.
My bolt guns are all great shooters but this auto loader thing is interesting since the rounds get banged around a bit.

Posts: 8 | Location: swwor319585@aol.com | Registered: 06 October 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Have you tried shimming the upper/lower receiver?

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Grenadier,
Are you referring to the factory installed hard plastic/rubber block? Or some other method that I am unaware of?

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
We used to shim them with pieces pf aluminum cut from beer cans or cut up plastic seals from a loaf of bread. But now days we have the rubber blocks. There are also Pivot Pin/Take-Down Pin Shims available. Either way, it can make a noticeable difference.

This aftermarket shim does what we used to do decades ago:

posted Hide Post
Thanks, I will try one.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
You may run into the dreaded Colt action block in the lower in which case it will have to be machined out for many of the drop-in triggers. I hgad a Colt Elite H-Bar from that era that shot 1/2" all day with VV N-135 and 52 grain Sierra Match Kings. The Sierra product number was #1440.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CT-VT guy:
Hello folks,
I am new to the site but have really enjoyed it so far.
I have a question regarding my Colt Match Target Competition HBAR, 1997 build at the factory. It has a BSA TMD624x44-30sp scope mounted on it and still has the factory trigger assembly. (not for long).
I have been trying to work up a good load for it prior to doing a bulk loading of roughly 4,000 rounds. The rifle currently has put out 4,000 rounds.
To establish a baseline of accuracy I tested a number of factory loads from good manufacturers.
most resulted in 1.500" groups at 100 yards. The American Eagle shot the best with a 1.250" group.
Next I tried a number of handholds using 69 gr. Sierra Match Kings and RL15 powder. The Sierras were designed for 1:9 twist which is what I have.
The results were slightly better with a few loads giving me 1.000-.950" groups. I am not impressed!
What do you think, bad load or bad barrel?

I would try a Leupold scope first and see how much my groups tightened.

Posts: 5697 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
buckeyeshooter I was going to say nearly the same thing, change the trigger and change the scope, I too prefer Leupolds on almost all my weapons.
After that play with your seating depth on your best load and you are in business.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If read correctly, CT-VT Guy says he has a 4000 round count on the factory barrel?

While Colt HBAR are chrome-lined, might consider a replacement barrel...

1:9 twist is a bit slow for 75/77gr match bullets. If gonna load 4k rds of match ammo, be sure your barrel is up to the task.

If you already have the 69gr, well... If not, a new barrel and faster twist has a lot to offer. Pretty much a drop-in job, if you have a bench vise and clam shell.

If your rifle is an A-2, then maybe consider going flat top. Scope will help to deliver better precision. Scopes are approved for Service Rifle competition now. If looking to compete, you will do better with a scope.

White Oak Armament offers a fine value in a Service Rifle profile stainless barrel, 1:7 twist. Buy one with matched bolt to be sure. There are other barrels out there too. Might find a decent Colt replacement barrel on arfcom or an auction site...

Looking at about $300 for a replacement barrel and bolt. Lots of savings in making your own match ammo. If really expecting excellence from your ammo, the new barrel will make a lot of difference. A flat top receiver will cost maybe $70... Of course, you might find a Colt upper ready to go without building.

If you are going to load 1x gi brass, don't forget the primer pocket reamer. The Dillon 600 is a very fast tool once you get your rhythm. Winchester new is a good value also, no crimp to remove. Pretty much as strong as WCC or LC; just commercial.

Good luck and have fun!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If my memory is working , that era colt should have large pins . Take this into consideration when ordering parts / triggers

Posts: 227 | Location: South Florida  | Registered: 03 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the pins are not easy to find trigger that fits. good luck . my hbe is a 1/2 in gun with 68gr.