New
Find
Notify
Tools

Black Rifles aka Assault Rifles
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The liberal press is always stating that there is no legitimate use for US citizens to own an AR-type rifle.

I beg to differ. Target shooting, both plinking and sanctioned matches, and self-defense come readily to my mind.

What other "legitimate" uses do you know of?

Thanks.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Although, I am not a .233 fan. The modern AR is as effective hunting rifle as any semiauto. I would move up to the AR 10 for the cartidges, but yeah hunt capable.

Posts: 10556 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The AR 15 can be chambered in a variety of cartridges suitable for multiple purposes. I use the 6.8 and 458 Socom for hunting deer and hogs. To me they're just another tool to use here on the farm.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No doubt. Just a difference in vintage or bottles. I like the 308 case head of cartridges on the AR10 better.

Each to his own. Either way the AR platform is as good as any semi auto to take hunting.

Ok, maybe most AR 10s are heavy by what appears to be modern bolt action taste. Again, just a question of personal taste.

Formal shooting, personal/home defense, hunting, plinking AR platform does it all as well as any. Just a question of what one likes. There is nothing about an AR that makes it more evil or less useful to civilians than any other technology.

Legislation should focus on people and identifying violent people not the weapon.

Posts: 10556 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I was at a turkey shoot a few years ago + I was using my 257 Roberts A.I.on a 98 action in a black B+C stock. Some woman off to the side said,"Look he's shooting one of those black guns."The ignorance of the general public would be funny if not so tragic.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To my knowledge there is only one "legitimate" use of firearms spelled out in the US Constitution, and its not hunting or target shooting.

Posts: 353 | Location: Southern Black Hills SD | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
Although, I am not a .233 fan. The modern AR is as effective hunting rifle as any semiauto. I would move up to the AR 10 for the cartidges, but yeah hunt capable.

My oldest son uses his AR-15 & 55g V-max to take Spanish goats on Oahu. 32 goats, Zero lost (hit's em in the ribs & makes lung pudding) rarely an exit. tu2

Posts: 2349 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 86thecat:
To my knowledge there is only one "legitimate" use of firearms spelled out in the US Constitution, and its not hunting or target shooting.
tu2 tu2 patriot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JJB:
quote:
Originally posted by 86thecat:
tu2 tu2 patriot

Yes! Very well said!!!!

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
Hunting is legit. I have a 6.8 SPC I've killed deer with. I just picked up a cheap 22 Nosler upper and I'm sure it would work fine on TX deer. Not an AR, but when I go down to work at my place, I bring my Mini 14 loaded with 62 grain Federal OTMs for hog defense. I have yet to need it but hopefully I will next time I go down.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I'm tempted to swap the upper on the Ares to 6.8 this year for whitetail.

Posts: 6351 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My AK’s go hog hunting.

"If a man can't trust himself to carry a loaded rifle out of camp without risk of shooting somebody, then he has no business ever handling a rifle at all and should take up golf or tennis instead." John Taylor

Ruger Alaskan 416
Ruger African 223

Posts: 336 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 29 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is only one Illegitimate use of an AR, handgun, spear, rock or fist and that is to commit a crime. Everything else is legitimate. those that say otherwise are either seeking to delude others or are themselves deluded.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
True + those deluded ones are just doing lip service from things that they have been told + really have no concept of the issue;only dealing in emotion + not rational thought.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My ARs have brought smiles to many shooters, young and old. The guns have autosears.

Mood enhancement (aka fun) is a "legitimate purpose", I think.

Posts: 670 | Location: Dover-Foxcroft, ME | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think so too. It is still America,right?